Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wish they would move away from events on CK3 in favor of something more "organic", more dynamic. But I also dont know what could replace them

yeah me too.

I think it would be cool if you had petitioners that request things or ask you to make decisions, but only when you grant them an audience. It would basically be the same as events but you'd have a bit more control over when you address them. It would help avoid the problem of being in the middle of something (like a war) and getting an event popup about something totally unrelated that breaks your concentration.

Some of the petitions could be urgent and the petitioner would get pissed if you ignore them, but a lot of them could be minor stuff like "hey I'm a character with better stats than your current commander, make me a commander". Stuff that the game thinks you might want to look at but no big deal if you're in the middle of something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Even if a pop is meant to represent a billion people or whatever you still just end up thinking of it as one little guy and it feels more like a board game token system rather than a cool population model with shifting demographics. For me anyway.

I dunno why Paradox games have always avoided modelling actual population numbers. I'm sure there must be good reasons but like Total War Three Kingdoms seems to manage it ok?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
is there a map font mod for victoria II?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I honestly do not like the new aesthetic of the game/map at all, from what i have seen. I feel like PDX UI design has somehow gotten worse; Imperator is still awful in that regard (from what i have heard/seen).

Man this is insane to me. I mean I know we haven't played yet but to me it looks like the best UI for a paradox game so far by a long way. Everything looks really clear and nicely spaced out, with a big emphasis on "if you do this, this will happen" type info. It looks a million times better than Imperator.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

toxx for next paradox game to be about proto-indo-european expansion 5000 years ago

If they did this then Paradox would have to move away from a map striated by static provinces to a map based on smooth space. Which would be really cool but hard for them to do because provinces are such an ingrained part of all their games.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
what does being blacklisted mean?

e: vvvv ah ok, thanks

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 21, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vichan posted:

Can it be midnight already?

what am I looking at?

e: oh I guess it's this hoi4 mod https://www.reddit.com/r/TNOmod/

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 21, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
why would a complicated philosophical theory be explainable in plain english. of course it's gonna use technical language.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lmao they added Espionage.

there comes a time in the life cycle of every strategy game when they have to add an espionage system that no one cares about

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Imperator's political influence can feel a little generic.

I think political influence in Imperator is pretty clever. The way it's generated by the loyalty of your office holders and not their competence. So you are constantly trading off having loyal lackeys vs people who are actually good at the job.

Just one of the cool trade offs that makes Imperator a pretty interesting game. I'm honestly bummed that they're giving up on it. I think I already said this but I don't think I can go back to EU or CK after experiencing the pop system of Imperator. They would just feel so empty.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

And every time someone says "try this mod, it's really good" about Paradox game I open it and see introductory events configuring mod that are more complex than most IDEs. Then decision list has a dozen decisions like "show/hide genocide options" or "click me to see the list of current dragons in the game via event". Then you get events with dumb Skyrim references. Then it works extremely slow but at the same time AI doesn't do anything. Then you discover that any click you do has two screens of effects like "+0.1% to peasant population growth" with "20 rebel stacks spawn" hidden somewhere on the 48th line.

haha this is such a perfect summary, and always exactly my experience as well.

I think CK3 is meant to be better in that it lets modders actually add UI elements? Maybe?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

dark ages migration period game when

when paradox stops basing all their games around provinces probably (which would actually be really cool, I always fantasise about a "smooth space" grand strategy game dotted with towns and cities and with armies and nomads freely moving around)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm actually pretty excited to find out what the new game is tomorrow lol

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
just tuned into the pdxcon stream and it's a man and a woman in an orange void talking about which days of the week they come into the office and how long the commute is

https://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I love that the screenshots just have neat little city names instead of giant province names everywhere

this is the kind of shallow poo poo I care about

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Hellioning posted:

here is more specific stuff from that person from Reddit.

there's a lot of really good stuff in here

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

All this "tending your garden" stuff about Victoria 3 is exactly why I enjoy Imperator too. It's just very satisfying to influence various factors and then watch your pops slowly convert/assimilate/promote/migrate etc. Slowly turning a province from a settlement full of foreign tribesmen to a city full of happy citizens is really cool. It's the dream of getting more powerful in a way that isn't just making your borders bigger, and so having something meaningful to do that isn't just making your borders bigger...

I also like how many mechanics play off each other: loyalty/competence, research ratio/population size, levy size/culture happiness etc. I feel like I'm doing a lot more balancing and trade-offs than in the other games.

I also like how the character system makes diplomacy a lot more interesting. If your enemy has hired powerful mercenaries then you can try to bribe their leader; if barbarians are invading you can pay them off or offer them land to settle; if your neighbour is too strong you can try to sway their generals and governors over to your side (and they'll bring their army or province with them); if a foreign nation has powerful pretenders you can convince them to start civil wars etc. etc.

Some of it might just be the novelty because I've played it a lot less than the other games, but I really do think it's a pretty good game.

e: The only real complaints I have are like "tribal nations are boring" (although turning from a tribal nation into a monarchy or republic is a fun series of challenges) and "the events are repetitive", all of which are things which would have been fixed by DLC (and might get fixed by mods?).

e2: actually I guess I do have some pretty major complaints about how fiddly it is to move pops manually for colonisation and optimisation.

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 24, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think from what I've heard, what gets emphasized and exaggerated are some of the eccentricities of puritanism like banning Christmas instead of any details about establishing a republic or constitutional legality or the checks and balances of the government he made that parliament kept rejecting.

haha, this just gave me a flashback to my British history education where we did indeed spend an inordinate amount of time on the puritans wanting to ban Christmas.

I used to resent the fact that my history education was so preoccupied by questions like "how did the Tudors go to the toilet?" and never came close to anything like "how did the United Kingdom form?". But I think we have to be a little forgiving of their weird priorities because they are desperately trying to engage the interests of children, and maybe just beating us over the head with "ordinary people used to live very different kinds of lives" is enough.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My UK history education covered, bizarrely, the conflict in Chechnya, and the evolution of medical techniques between Ancient Greece and the Medieval period. There's no logic to it at all really. Some guy working for an exam board somewhere just comes up with a theme that he thinks sounds cool, and now for the rest of my life I can tell you about Asklepios and Galen.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I read part 1 and found it a bit rambling to be honest. It's way too long for the actual points he's making.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://www.breakit.se/artikel/3002...-tystnadskultur

I dunno what this says but seems significant according to twitter

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I mean obviously everyone wants to play Germany - a big part of the appeal of the game is seeing if you can change history and win the war for the nazis

It doesn't signify anything political, it's just about having watched loads of ww2 documentaries and thinking like "if i were hitler i would have simply moved south to the Caucasus". It's just alt history fun.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
wasn't there a board game where you spend the whole game designing train routes and then at the end the big reveal is that the trains are carrying people to concentration camps?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I don't think Imperator had some big fundamental flaw that meant it was doomed from the start.

I think the only real candidate for true game-breaking issue was the bad UI, which put off so many people at release.

The individual mechanics had their own issues and frustrations, but they also all had good ideas. I still maintain that the interplay and feedback between economy, pops and army makeup was genuinely good. And tending to the slow development of your pops and cities was basically a taste of what everyone is hoping for from Victoria 3.

It would probably have been a very decent game with a few more changes, but it's hard to overcome a bad release.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm gonna bet September 2022 for V3

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gaius Marius posted:

They're are roughly a million WWII war games better than hoi4

Man I wish

With the same global scope and encompassing politics and industry etc?

There's uh... Strategic Command?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I feel privileged to be one of the few people who enjoyed playing Imperator for a brief window

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This is gonna sound insane but I actually think I:R's pop mechanics were better than V3's in some ways. Or at least clearer.

You could easily see how and why a pop was promoting, migrating, assimilating, and converting. And you could make decisions and clearly see the influence on these four axes in various ways. V3's pop mechanics are more complex, but then also weirdly you engage with them less as a result. You build buildings to try and meet their needs and turn them into pops that support the right IG's so you can liberalise, but that's basically it.

I also think I:R had some cool moments of interplay between the character, economic, pop, and warfare systems:
troop types raised from a province would depend on the social demographics of the pops (culture and class)
generals who were made disloyal because of political machinations would stop taking orders and just do their own thing
mercenaries actually had a leader character who, depending on traits, could be bribed to switch sides

just lots of cool little things like that

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat, am I really about to reinstall imperator

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lum_ posted:

Also, this is a really awful presentation

The MC is horribly cringe inducing

I always used to complain about this with Paradox stuff but I'm kind of used to it now.

You have to just play a game of balancing your desire to turn it off because it's so painful to watch vs your desire to know about upcoming stuff.

Doesn't look like a V3 expansion, just a trailer for the 1.2 update. So not clear what that ship was.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat, those screenshots are really disappointing. Doesn't look like there's anything particularly new or appealing.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Here's my dumb wish: stop making all the numbers like +0.10 and -0.05. gimme some nice big numbers that are easy to read.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Am I missing something in Imperator (with Invictus) or do I really need to accept each export trade request manually? The automatic trade button only does imports. It looks like the AI will only request an export if you have a surplus, and I think outside the capital province I would basically always prefer the money from the export rather than the stacked bonus, so I am just clicking "accept" every time. Would be nice to do it automatically.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You have this backwards, I think? IIRC, AI only ever requests exports (trades of your goods to them), they never try to trade goods to you. If you have accept all trades on and you're still seeing trade offers, you probably also have block capital surplus on and they're offers for goods produced in the capital.

No sorry that's what I meant, I just phrased it badly. I mean "my goods to them". The AI requests my goods and I have to accept each time, when I'd rather just auto accept (as long as I have a non-capital surplus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

In the top right of trade screen you have "accept all trades" option

Aha! thank you, this is what I was missing.