Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's censorship! Don't they realise vibeo games are art! :qqsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF8TsZwUJ_s

Wait, that's the Indiana Jones scene they use as an example? Not the one with swastika banners all over Berlin and, you know, someone actually portraying Hitler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I actually installed the first wargame game because of this news and boy do I suck at combined arms operations

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Autonomous Monster posted:

More, if anything, but they said they weren't the target audience for HOI these days, and yeah, a series that's all about this one specific cluster of wars in this one specific decade really is not the same sort of platform for alt-history shenanigans that Paradox's other games are.

Lol if you don't think Conclave made CK2 better than it's ever been* and lol if you don't think EUIV is slowly collapsing under the weight of all the extra systems they're grafting to it.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the modular DLC model worked pretty well for CK, where there were a whole load of other religions/regions/time periods they could just weld on to it with minimal fuss, but they're really struggling to adapt it to their more tightly constrained series.

*The cult system in M&M was probably a mistake, I'll grant you.

I might be the only person with this opinion, but I think there's still room to expand ck2 forward in time. Especially with the way the council has worked for a while now, it still makes historical sense. A lot of the stuff that really happened to to the mid 1600s (let's say 1648) can easily be seen in terms of ck2 systems: the Scottish claims to the English throne, the further entangling of dynasties across Europe, the war of the three Henrys. Those are all things that I think are way more fun to see in terms of individuals and dynasties rather than countries that you control regardless of the dynasty that rule then.

Of course the varied nature of reformed Christianity would present some problems, but many elements can be borrowed from systems that are already present: national reformed churches can be autocephalous like the Orthodox churches or the can have a a caliph like Henry VIII.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Couldn't they have solved the problem by changing the sizes and shapes of sea zones? Or is it that players will naturally assume 'Go straight west to get to where you want to be' and they'd end up in Newfoundland rather than Florida? Even that, I think, could be resolved by sea zone shaping. It might lead to some weird looking zones, though.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

EU4 is the only game I've ever preordered in my life. And I ended up not playing a lot of it because it came with a free copy of CK2 which was way more interesting. Coming from EU3, the mechanisms in EU4 just didn't seem as big a step forward as the ones in CK2.

And I do actually still think that the focus on individual persons rather than the state would be an ever better fit for EU than it is for CK. So many wars in the EU timeframe were over dynastic stuff (at least as justification) and personal relations between leaders.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Star posted:

This feels like a strange change https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-changes-to-flavor-pack-pricing.1538700/
It also makes me worried about any future V3 DLCs.

To me, flavor packs have always been one of those 'Eh, maybe if it's in the christmas sale for 2.99 a piece' things, and a change like this will only cement this opinion, and I think it will for a lot of people.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Charlz Guybon posted:

I feel like you could easily update CK to run until 1648, if it were not for the pesky fact that the America's are not on the map.

YF-23 posted:

The circumnavigation of Africa opening up trade with Asia is probably a bigger deal for that time frame, you could abstract away a lot of early European colonisation of the Americas, mechanically. Don't see a way of getting around Portuguese ships going to India the same way.

I just wish there was a full world map mod (that would also push out the end date as you suggest). Freeze out the new world or anything below Congo until certain techs have been developed for all I care. A separate maritime tech (not just shipyards) would make sense in that situation.

But I guess all of that would create a new problem. You'd have to limit the playable titles to the currently playable ones. East Asian nations would need entirely different mechanics, which is exactly why they don't exist in the current game. And you'd still run up to completely nonsense things like Persia colonizing all of East Africa and Indochina, which is more of an EU4 thing.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

ThaumPenguin posted:

e:

I feel that at that point you've moved too far away from the dynastic politics and interpersonal intrigue that are at the heart of Crusader Kings. It's scope creep.

Yeah, absolutely. I guess I just want EU4 with personal lower level titles and a character focus

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tuna-Fish posted:

This would require pretty significant mechanical changes. The start date is already far enough back that a lot of the nobles are literally the first people who managed to make their (previously appointed at the discretion of the king) titles hereditary. Push the start date back just 30 years and you need to replace the feudal mechanics with some kind of "king appoints his friends for a limited time" thing, massively changing the game.

This wouldn't be a bad thing.

I say that without having played CK3 for even a second, though, but I'd love for there to be systems that support stuff like Roman imperial (it's hereditary, but actually everyone adopts) succession.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Does I:R get discounted frequently?

I see it's still €39.99, and for something that I may not like and will never get any updates, that's too much just to try it out. If it's €15 in the christmas sale, I'd likely pick it up to play for a few weeks once in a while

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Ah, thanks!

And I don't need any of the DLC to see what the game is like in its current 'finished' state, right?

Edit: Ah gently caress it, those mission pack DLCs are marked down too, so why not?

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 17, 2022

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I remember playing EU1 with a history book on my lap because almost all the meaningful events were hardcoded real historical events.
When they changed away from that (was that in eu2 or eu3?) it was like a whole new world had opened up

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

pdxjohan posted:

Eu1 had no historical events. We made them for eu2..

It's been over twenty years, and you guys released EU2 so quickly after EU1 that they're merging together in my memory, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I think it makes sense for them to want to model the shift from feudal/dynastic to nation states, especially given that the feudal model used in ck is actually more fitting for the early eu period than it is for the ck period.

Dynasties are kind of underplayed in the eu franchise, when in actuality a ton of wars in the period were about personal claims based on feudal and dynastic relationships.

But I'm afraid it's going to be a one way street, with progress only going one way.

I wonder how it would model the English civil war, which is an attempt to do away with the old dynastic order and create a new type of country, that kind of overshot the goal and then reversed a bit. You'd almost need to separate out royal power (vs parliament or states general or whatever the game would call it) from the form of govt if you wanted to model that. It needs way more depth than the ck2 crown authority and council mechanics