Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Al Borland posted:

You got further than me I got sick of it at lvl 5.

Sup level 5 I quit buddy. Went through 3 beta phases and never got past level 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Well I dont think you'll get the full story till wildstar has died its final death.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

a game from 2012
Wildstar was probably set to release in 2012 too initially.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

noELrunes posted:

So when blade and soul launches is when the game starts to decline further right?

Also when are those financial reports listing since that's the only way to figure out the true state of the game

Early February should be the next one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ModeSix posted:

Fixed that for you.

No, Im pretty sure franbunny is an actual girl with horrible horrible teeth. Or maybe i'm confusing people

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holy poo poo, not even a dead cat bounce.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

John Dyne posted:

lmao I went back to look at this so I could link it to a friend and I just noticed their Q4 2016 forecast for Wildstar is a big fat goose egg. I was so focused on the tiny numbers I didn't even register that NCSoft doesn't expect the game to make them any money.

This is a bank speculating on on their possible future revenue. Still it says a lot that the bank expects them to make virtually no money by the end of the fiscal year.

Cyster post if you are all right, also how many people are left in the staff

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Even if B&S completely tapers off next month it'll probably still generate more revenue than WS. At like 1/100 or less of the cost.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

None of those games actually fill the real MMO niche which is pretty princess simulator with a chat interface to talk to people.

Wildstars pretty princess game is extremely weak.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think this even qualifies as a sead cat bounce

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cathead posted:

So is this just the "complain about whatever other MMO I was playing and then ponder how it still wasn't as bad as Wildstar" thread?

Even talking about other games is infinitely more enjoyable than playing wildstar

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RIP Wildstar, I'm honestly surprised ncsoft hasn't pulled the plug entirely yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anoia posted:

The problem is the hardcore players (see timetravel) got jobs designing poo poo. They make their dream ULTRA HARDCORE encounter where everyone (at least 40 players) has to be psychically linked together to succeed and then get mad when it fails abysmally because "loving casuals!!!"

ANYONE could have told them that it wasn't going to work but the entire management team was so up their own asses that they honestly thought that if they built it, they would come.

A playerbase fractured by game mode, fractured by servers, fractured by factions, fractured by a horrible atunement system was supposed to get 40 people to run a raid. A raid that would dynamically change difficulty every week because the sperglord developer couldn't bare see his masterpiece be beaten in a way he wasn't anticipating or where they tuned a boss to be literally unbeatable so that no one could progress passed him.

Did timetravel meltdown when he heard they were transitioning away from raids? I'm half guessing he turned down an opportunity to work on the dungeons team because they weren't hardcore enough.+

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing the only reason wow hasn't done away with factions despite it being dropped by just about every MMO that still retains a niche is because of the movie. There is no gameplay reason other than maaaaybe increase some replayability by having people reroll another faction but its useless and a lot of people cant be bothered.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

it has a steam page now

It wont help

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Suitaru posted:

the Aion thing is horrifying enough but you ARE making this up, right

Its pretty common in asian versions of the game. The chinese version of B&S had costumes dropped in game have a 1 month time limit while the cash shop ones were permanent. Of course you could rent an outfit for a day/week/month for cheap or buy at full price.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jabro posted:

Are we at the part of the MMO timeline where goons start coming out saying they were the lone voice of reason saying the game sucked but no one would listen?

There were more than a few, a lot of which were there since early alpha and a good chunk of people ignored them. Most telling wasnt their complaimts about the game, it was how little carbine seemed to adjust the game based on feedback and how slowly they progressed things internally.

Surprise surprise the game comes out its a steaming pile of poo poo and carbine cant salvage it because they didnt demostrate the ability to actually improve things during the alpha so what are the chances they can do anything when they also have to deal with the game in a live state and getting their studio constantly cut in size.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

WoW could still pull huge numbers for an expansion and retain them for a few but then everything falls apart post release. I dont think its a case of people just losing interest, at least not entirely. Its blizzard failing to keep people interest post release.

Blizzard is making way more money out of content that doesn't require as much of an upkeep so they can afford to go into semi-maintenance with WoW. Releasing an expansion and then only releasing two patches for it, one being mostly nothing, would have been unheard of in its heyday. But its going to be the new normal for WoW. But blizzard can afford it now that they can print money from Hearthstone, which only has 15 active developers. Overwatch seems to have been a huge hit and generating them a ton of money. HotS has none-insignificant following.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only game that does it is SWTOR and that has the dubious honor of having literally the worst implementation of a cash shop in any western MMO.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

5 million before they stopped announcing numbers and that was over 6 months ago, we are now like over a year into the current wow patch? Numbers have probably halved from there.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You guys you should speak for yourselves, I for one love getting into a game thats about 3 months away from being shuttered.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are expecting money for the next quarter! Wildstar officially not killed off yet

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mike12345 posted:

What's happening in Q4 for guild wars?

??? Nothing as far as I know, they expect sales to remain stable.

Originally they thought that the expansion would generate a massive influx of money but it sucked and remained relatively consistent with previous numbers.

e-I seriously dont understand how WS can keep going. Even with the massive reduction in staff they still have to be bleeding money. How many people does carbine staff right now? Like 80? Average it at 50k a head and thats 4m right there in the year just in salaries and they expect to get 5m in the whole year. Utilities, rent, taxes and other misc expenditures will take them into the red and then some.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 2, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rasmussen posted:

80 staff at carbine? I would say less than 10.

Nah, unless there was a firing after the march one. They fired 70 people then it was 40% of their remaining workforce. So what, around 80 people left?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MREBoy posted:

I love how they project MXM making in 3 months what WildStar has made in 2 years.

Its a rather conservative estimate too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stop repeating that they need to pull a FFXIV. Its impossible to do it at this stage.

e-It took like 3 years to get ffxiv 2.0 operational after 1.0 was mismanaged. Yeah it was like 2 years under yoshi at the time but its still a long time to go to unfuck a game. The only reason why it happened was because SE had a brand riding on FFXIVs survival. Right now if wildstar gets shutdown absolutely no one will blame NCsoft for what happened.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 3, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

They should. Then again, I'm biased against NCSoft for their eternal fuckery with CoH.

NCsoft has continuously tried to prop Carbine. Like they were ok with them completely changing the gameplay midway trough production which added like another year of delays and then they gave them another 6 months after that to try and polish the game, missing the crucial holiday release they were aiming for. After that they decided to keep supporting the game way beyond after its obvious that the whole thing is fubar and there is no way to fix it other than completely remaking the whole thing, which is frankly impossible since you might as well make a new game in the first place. Wildstars IP is worth less than 0 right now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This sounds like some poo poo that someone on Reddit made up because "those ncsoft assholes probably did it." How exactly are they stingy for giving them an extra year and a half to finish this tire fire? Plus, by all accounts, the people making the problems were those making decisions, not the guys doing the grunt work.

To put it into perspective, wildstar at its peak was about 300 person strong right? Just another extra year would have cost them 25-30 million dollars at or slightly bellow industry standard wages. Wildstar was staffed by a lot of people that clearly knew what they were doing, the problem was the top echelons clearly didnt since they designed WS in the first place.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Look, NCsoft. You know it, we know it. Just put this money towards Lineage 3, like you wanted to all along.

Lineage 3 is a online diablo clone. They've given up trying to have people migrate to a new lineage like game since lineage 1 is such a powerhouse.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MisterZimbu posted:

Pretty much the first rule of any microtransaction thing is to come up with a bullshit reason for the customer on why it's actually a *good* thing that you're charging for it that's not "we want more money".

Theres a reason why WoW continues to be as profitable now as it was when it had 4x the playerbase and thats because of every $20-$60 microtransaction they've added to the game

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

WoW's highest pop was 12.5 million near the end of Wrath; today's is 10 million, as of Legion.

The microtransactions definitely make them bank, but it's pretty much icing on a huge cake; not replacing a supposed 3/4ths population drop.

Did they release numbers recently? The last numbers they gave out were during WoD and the drop was so precipitous that they stopped giving numbers afterwards.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

General Maximus posted:

It's apparently still profitable though, or they'd have killed it already. This is NCSoft, they kill games the moment they have a reason to.

Actually, did Wildstar ever get a release in any of the asian markets? I know it flopped horribly in western markets but maybe it's inexplicably doing better elsewhere?

I dont think it is profitable given the revenue it reports and the normal cost of operating servers and keeping a skeleton crew.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Makes sense; GW2 kinda has no end game by design. Or at least, didn't when I played it. It had a huge spike for the expansion, then people did the content in it, and stopped playing.

Which is a shame because I really enjoyed GW2's combat.

NCsoft had some pretty high expectations for GW2s expansion and it failed spectacularly. The boost from sales from the expansion was middling and then it started to make even less money than before quarter over quarter.

As for Wildstar, I think this is in millions of won so its like 1 million dollar over the course of 3 months. There is absolutely no way they are making money with this. Even a 10 man staff would burn through that in a single month, when you take into consideration office space, utilities and payroll tax. And I think carbine is like 30 man strong still? How can they persist?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Yes that's correct. Didn't even temporarily reverse the downward trend on launch day. Even Wildstar managed that which is um... something.

Eh, just you can see the massive spike when it went F2P and it held on the gains for much longer than Rift. Rift is a loving fossil right now with a development studio that never got to capitalize on its early success.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thursday Next posted:

Rift was a seriously amazing game that still occasionally tugs at my memory. The ability to create your own class was great. And, you could play just about any role as just about any archetype. It's a precursor to ESO, in a good way.

It's also, like, a billion years old and dead now and that's OK. Everquest is also dead, as is Asheron's Call and Dungeons and Dragons Online and a thousand other MMOs.

Edit: Aww, crap, I'm about to reinstall Rift again, aren't I?

No dont. Its aged horribly and it'll ruin your memories of it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Another one bites the dust :toot:
(I think we all saw this coming)

http://www.pixelmagegames.com/

Smedly cant catch no breaks

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Of course, the thing the game needed is even more grinds after you get to cap. Why couldn't we think of that before?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Didn't they promise to have significant content patches monthly? And then the sheer amount of bugs introduced by patching so quickly torpedoed that strategy?

Yeah, they abandoned it immediately after the first patch because all the instability, bugs and market exploits that it introduced. They decided to spend months fixing what they had already which caused them to bleed subs faster than anything and then they went into pseudo maintenance mode until they could get the f2p model out.

Seriously NCsoft has shown amazing restraint by not putting them out to pasture yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant believe BBG died before wildstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BexGu posted:

What did ever happen to Firefall? I played it for a while and it seemed like it could be a cool, open-worldish sci-fi game but it had wayyyy to much grinding for me.

Same question about Skyforge. I heard they some how made that game worst?

It started spinning its wheels for years constantly refactoring already existing content instead of making new ones and then it got bought out by a chinese company to use it as a way to launder money probably.

• Locked thread