Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

finally the op this game deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Martman posted:

I love the story and art style of Wildstar but am looking for something a little more hardcore... you know, not so casual and easy at the endgame. Any suggestions?

heat up a spoon over a fire and shove it up your urethra, cupcake

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Miyari posted:

They didn't happen to improve the character creator in any way? I checked it out when it was first out (either in a beta or a trial or gently caress if I know) but I was turned off almost immediately because
a) I was forced to be specific race(s) to be the character class I wanted, and all of those races were poo poo
b) All of the female characters have absurd proportions, yet their most attractive quality is their giant bazongas because otherwise they all look like sassy AND ugly black women (ugly because ugly, not because black woah now)
I was then able to make it probably halfway thru the boring as gently caress starting zone before getting tired of looking at my giant bazonga'd robot's rear end or whatever was going on. I have trouble playing MMOs in which I hate my character, big surprise.

Have you considered rolling male characters

and not being racist

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

you idiots who keep telling everyone you're just going to play the game to look at nerds and troll the nerds and make the nerds playing the game quit playing the game and make the nerds angry aren't fooling anyone

:ironicat:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

meanwhile I've been playing pso2, a game I am technically not allowed to play because I'm not in japan, and having zero issues.

lol wildstar

also I feel like star citizen is stealing carbine's thunder here, but I think that might be a good thing. at least wildstar exists.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Libluini posted:

The same here. Which is a shame, Phantasy Star is one of the rare things which would motivate me to try a MMO.

google PSO2 tweaker. It will install and update all of the english patches for you

The english patch is pretty complete for the older content, newer stuff you can go dig up translations if you like for the story, but items tend to be translated quickly. You may sometimes forget you're not playing a game in english, it's pretty good.

also you can be just painfully anime

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 3, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I think the deal was that you could buy two of something from a vendor for the price of one? Then I guess you'd sell those things back for more than you paid, rinse, repeat.

there were a shitload of ways, but one of the bigger ones, in terms of how many people abused it (including me) was you could buy iron ore from the market at a pretty low price, be an architect and spam metal plates or planks or whatever they were, and vendor them. Your 20 silver investment would turn into like 1.5g or something, and then you just reinvest and do it over and over, getting a bigger and bigger bankroll as you go. I got up to 30 gold or so from doing it sparingly, and at the time I believe Plexx was going for like 5-6g apiece?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The Chairman posted:

"The most badass looking character I've ever had, in any game. Kudos Carbine!"

a game from 2012

also imagine that there's fire spouting from the hands, feet, and back. I got some new armor pieces. Also there's a gourd on the hip because I needed to keep bringing the whole look together.

Anime.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I kinda like that you post this picture as something that should be looked up to.

"Now imagine it on fire"

No problem bud. No problem.

who said it should be looked up to?

also don't princess shame, please, even if you're bitter about being REALLY into wildstar at launch.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

PSO2 is a garbage game for garbage people

I wish there was a bad games crew gang tag so people know I don't think the games I play are shining beacons of gaming or whatever

still better than wildstar

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anoia posted:

It's thanks to fuckers like them that people would lose their goddamn minds when they would lose to me in PVP and see I was from Moon Guard.

Whenever someone in a BG mentioned that I'm from Moon Guard my instant response was always "Yeah, wanna gently caress?"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anoia posted:

Did that ever backfire?

I wish it had, but no. Nerds on the internet are too scared of that sort of thing.

Gildiss posted:

Lots of game threads have joke titles!

*Lists 3 incredibly lovely and bad games.*

that just means he has lovely taste in games, not that goons don't make jokes in every thread title in this entire subforum.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anoia posted:

I'm talking categorically. Anyone who doesn't know much about the project is just going to see that it was SciFi and failed miserably.

It was a disappointment on every level.

Don't worry. Star Citizen will save sci fi pc gaming.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

If you want to see some magnificent blinders you can always warm your hands at the dumpster fire that is star citizen. Wildstar does have its share of those people, but they don't have that peak excitement and hype from a game not being out yet* so some of the logical backbending is really just awe inspiring.

*or ever

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Which is a shame because the raids is the one place this game shines like a motherfucker.

If no one can stomach getting to them does it really?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

tbf the imbalance you're referring to was to give humans a free trinket slot in pvp and not understand why that was broken as poo poo. It's something that a lot of people predicted would happen when they announced the new human racials.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, nobody should ever lose a PLEX but it still happens. They can be spawned in anywhere in the universe and redeemed anywhere in the universe, and the only reason to spawn them in the first place is to trade them (if you are using them for yourself they can be redeemed from the character selection screen without ever touching the game world). So theoretically there shouldn't ever be a need to transport them and thereby risk destruction because you can just spawn them in wherever the transaction is taking place, sell them, and then the buyer can redeem right away from anywhere. But, for reasons that escape sensible persons, every once in a while some bozo loads 20 PLEX into his cargo bay and gets himself exploded on his way to wherever he is taking them.

Some people trade in plex. The people who get blown up probably aren't the people who are either buying from CCP or eventually using the plex.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lonjon posted:

This is a very sad thing. :(

I guarantee that's their best selling item.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Solution: collapse all endgame currencies to elder gems, eliminate the elder gem weekly cap, boost dungeon & adventure XP significantly, make the socket rerollers & extra socket items buyable with elder gems, make good runes buyable with elder gems. play another game.

FTFY

also why did they have more than two endgame currencies? There was like 1 tier of raiding and pvp, what else did you need?

Also to be fair to wildstar, at least it's not black desert online.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

lol if you don't think that was just a driveby shitpost from someone who doesn't want to defend their terrible opinion

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm just saying it was funny that there used to be a Wildstar thread saying the game will shut down and a bunch of goons were posting in it and now years later there's a thread that doesn't say that but a bunch of goons are still oddly posting in it

tbh I think that was more goons underestimating how long it takes NCSoft to put a bullet in a game's head.

Also they're paying youtubers to do videos for wildstar now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP5opAb7k6w

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Schubalts posted:

So...the players should continue to shove criticism down Carbine's throats because if they gently caress up, we could die in a explosive crash?

I don't think there's any "if" about carbine loving up.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anoia posted:

I don't know the full details about that one, I just know some goon offered to print up faction shirts and apparently never delivered and now he's a mod for a discord and people are mad about it?

MMO HMO drama is kinda like long standing family tension where everyone acts like you should intrinsically know why uncle bob should never be seated by uncle jim at thanksgiving, it's hard to keep up at times.

It wasn't that he never delivered, it was who the gently caress wanted a t-shirt with "the awful order" on it. We made a lot of fun of him, it was good times.

Discord/mumble poo poo is because we had a perfectly good mumble server and gently caress change, especially when it's the same thing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Why not both?

What max-level content is there for those not interested in raiding? As far as I can tell, it's daily quests and housing. When a significant portion of the endgame is spent on something a casual player can't or won't do, people get bored. Combine that with the showstopping bugs at every level and you have a recipe for failure.

It is both, but a lot of people attribute wildstar's failure to their catering of those grognards, even though really it wasn't even that, it was lead developers getting in over their heads and huffing too many of their own farts about HARDCORE.

Wildstar's leveling had this kind of sensation overload baked into its core, from the loud color schemes and the way the game itself would address you (not just calling you a cupcake, but being EXTREEEEEEEEEEME about everything all the time) to the challenges that would pop up, like when you go to collect your 10 robot bear asses and the game just steps in and goes "HEY HOW FAST CAN YOU DO IT? CLOCK'S TICKIN GOGOGOGOGOGO" on top of the game never giving you any downtime while questing, so you were either in these intense fights with regular mobs or just not playing because you needed a break, and generally everything just being very unchill. The housing was popular because it was the only thing you could do in Wildstar that was chill and didn't bug you about poo poo constantly. Until you put in the challenge plugs, then you were back on the EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEME wagon.

This isn't even mentioning things like holding shift to dash while mounted (my left pinkie actually has a phantom ache that pops up whenever I think of wildstar) and all of the various bugs. All of this is the barrier to entry just to get to raiding. Them making GBS threads all over grogs who actually made it to raiding was just the icing on the cake.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Deki posted:

Carbine's leadership deserves a lot of the blame sure, but NCSoft was also stingy as gently caress iirc leading to issues with attracting talent or even making sure the entire team was competent because of the discrepancy between pay and cost of living. they couldn't really afford to fire lovely devs because no good ones were willing to take their place.

This sounds like some poo poo that someone on Reddit made up because "those ncsoft assholes probably did it." How exactly are they stingy for giving them an extra year and a half to finish this tire fire? Plus, by all accounts, the people making the problems were those making decisions, not the guys doing the grunt work.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Unfortunately you'd be playing BDO, and if you thought Wildstar had a lovely sensory overload ui

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Bizarrely, Overwatch is completely free of any pop culture references. There's a dude who looks like cyborg ninja from MGS that never quotes MGS, a chick that looks like Samus without an alternate costume resembling Samus. Pretty sure the only one I saw was an older character saying "Get off my lawn" kinda like in Gran Torino, but that's a pretty generic quote.

One of pharah's skins is a gundam, though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Asimo posted:

Cryptic's MMOs have a lot of really inventive and unique mechanics and quality of life features that other games don't think of or can't possibly implement with their server architecture. At the same time the actual gameplay tends to be relatively shallow and poorly balanced. Once you realize this It's kind of easy to see why CoH, STO, and all those have devoted long-term players but never really became big popular hits.

If it was still up I'd still be playing it, and I do see what you mean about shallow combat, but at the same time it let you make any hero or villain you could think of. My favorite character was a force blaster, but I also had a super strength Japanese schoolgirl, a burning Valkyrie brute, a ninja zombie, and a lord of the rings dwarf that accused people in pocket D of being elves and calling the drinks pisswater. You could get anything from gun fu to super regeneration to being Big Business, a mastermind that summoned thugs whose catchphrase was "I CAN BUY AND SELL YOU!"

Along with that, almost every power set had absolute horse poo poo broken stuff for pve, so you could have cool awesome moments, like diving into a giant stack of thugs and tanking the alpha as a brute, then setting everyone on fire and pulling out a fire sword while your party came in with their bullshit. It was just about fun with super heroes, and the qol stuff made it that much better.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm the Sci-Fi setting that takes place exclusively on one planet.

You mean the Fifth Element? Or Blade Runner?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Note Block posted:

FHLOOOOOSTON PARAAAADISE orbits the planet Fhloston.

At the same time, they never go to the planet, so functionally they're spending time riding around in an arkship.

Like, I think wildstar handled its story badly because of execution, but the premise was okay and even cliche at this point.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

There was the architect exploit and then there was duping elder gems for free top of the line endgame gear. This was on top of the myriad hilarious crashing bugs, memory leaks from the modules of the base UI, guild leaders having their attunement reset and CS not being able to fix it without making a new character, and "you ran down a hill too fast so you died" bugs. And this is just what I remember. I never made it to level cap, so I'm sure there's more entertaining stuff other people could share.

A rollback might have been good or bad, although I'd argue letting it slip that you can't roll back is the worst choice you could possibly make during all this. It doesn't really matter, though, because regardless of how much anyone liked Wildstar's aesthetic or the idea of hard dungeon and raid content, it was bad design decisions and horrible bugs all the way down. We make fun of a lot of games for being dumpster fires, but launch Wildstar was a raging inferno to no man's sky's cheery fireplace.

Although I can't think of any point where Carbine actually lied flat out about something. We all knew precisely what we were getting into right from the get go.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Fairly sure I recall them making it not free to discourage people from doing it and saying so before BC was released.

Yeah, but that was a lot of money and coke ago

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Shy posted:

I was mildly curious about ddo but that video is so dumb and gross that now i'm not. thanks!

DDO was rife with a lot of dumb poo poo, and climbing on monsters was turned into a kind of quick time event with if the monster glowed red you needed to hit your red button!!! bullshit. It was a bit less janky than the original, but it lost all of its charm and good aspects in that move over.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

No, because the people happy with the game are playing the game and not giving enough of a poo poo to post there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

What the gently caress. How? Is there even $10k worth of stuff to buy in GW2? Or was it all loving dye packs?

Keys, mainly. Zhulik still bemoans the gem suicide pact occasionally, and it's how we know how much money Arus has spent on GW2. Ballpark, anyway.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

As someone who hasn't followed the GW2 thread in quite a while: What the gently caress was the gem suicide pact? Did people go all in buying gems to convert to gold before conversion rates tanked or something?

afaik the gem pact was whenever someone wanted to buy gems they all had to buy gems, so for key sales and stuff

I think it was supposed to be a way to mitigate the amount of money they spent on the game, but it backfired horribly.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Byolante posted:

The outsourced QA companies probably did pretty well

Either they did extremely well because they basically did no QA or they lost several employees due to mental breakdowns from having to deal with Wildstar before the beta. God it must have been a mess.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Every encounter didn't require it. There's only a few bosses in the dungeon series that were a hard wipe if you hosed up (Stormtalon being the most notable) and the optional boss in the jungle dungeon. The rest of the time it was just an easy way to avoid certain mechanics or speed the fight up.

That means, with the spergs that would be the kind of people to still be playing wildstar, that it was always required or your group would break. If your mmo requires you to maintain a roster of guildmates in order to play the most basic aspect of the game, it's not gonna work. Wildstar is kind of proof that that kind of mmo is dead. Your content needs to be clearable by random pubs with almost no coordination in the lowest difficulties (and your raids need more than one difficulty if you want them to be balls hard), and they refused to budge on that point, so game died.

Also, as someone who had to do raids in wow where you needed interrupt rotations and poo poo like that, interrupt armor was a poo poo mechanic that was never going to work outside of a single boss's gimmick. It isn't fun for most people, it's just tedious.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Your first post was "it'd speed things up" and now it's "it'd slow things down" so which is it, because what the players want is the fastest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Byolante posted:

People who continued to play vanguard post release liked it. That's broken brained to start with. The concept of your healing only being as effective as your party member's willingness to do the correct thing is a second level of broken brain.

Click the loving lightwell you useless shitbags.

Good times.

• Locked thread