Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo don't play Wildstar

Miyari posted:

they all look like sassy AND ugly black women (ugly because ugly, not because black woah now)

This is now my favorite complaint about a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
WS is a gift that keeps on giving.

Comrayn posted:

I just tried to log in bu couldn't what game should I play instead?

MGSV. The real answer is any game.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry guys, after all this lag and server downtime/reboots you'll all get neat pets or something. Totally worth it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Changing any/all of the default Carbine Addons to 3rd party ones can net you 10-20 FPS, because Carbine are poo poo. HTH.

Holy poo poo if this is true. :psyduck:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Degs posted:

I'm playing this for the first time, the atmosphere and art direction are fantastic and medic / explorer is decently fun.

At what point does it all turn to poo poo?

There's a trend where new players are able to create a character and play the newbie stuff with little issue only to find out that the next time they try to login the game shits itself with network errors, long queues, and horrible bugs.

Even if that wasn't the case you still have Whitevale. When the game was in its prime I never got that far because that involves playing Wildstar, but I hear the zone is filled with wonder.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Besesoth posted:

I think 4:1 is optimistic. It's more like 9:1. This is one of the few games where the public community is overwhelmingly less toxic than the goon community.

The game is free now so I'm sure most of the community playing it aren't going to be as pissed as those who paid for it initially with a monthly fee. Goons telling people not to play aren't wrong. WS has a history of loving things up and you'd be foolish to ignore it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I just really want to know if NCSoft is ever going to break even, or if Wildstar was just a big money fire.

NCSoft as a whole seems fine given how well their other IPs do and are prepping Blade & Soul for western release. WS had a very small footprint on their last financial report and very much needed things to be shaken up or dropped. I'd be interested to see the reports after the move to F2P.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

FF14 1.0 was so much worse than Wildstar ever was.

No debate here. WS is a burning pile of garbage, but gently caress me, FF14 1.0 was something to behold.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

RottenK posted:

does it still have defenders on the official forums or did they finally gave up

The last one I saw was of a goon Dragoon showing off his broken min/max stats as evidence as to why 1.0 was god's gift to man. Ignoring the hundreds of boring man hours to get there and the lack of content to actually take advantage of.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland posted:

Out of curiosity how many of us are actually playing? I get the feeling most of us are just watching this thread for more disasters and patheticness from it.

I'm here for the latter and as of late I assume the game is just teetering along doing fine as it's been a bit quiet. They did their Back to the Future day and nothing exploded, and the whales are keeping their 3 remaining devs employed.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Could just give the player an option to enable/disable guild invites. Paywall is a bit overkill.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Chairman posted:

The angry guy is still messaging me

These are wonderful by the way.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

If it helps I thought it was a quote. :v:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Anoia posted:

I'm just sad WildStar getting thrown on the trash heap that includes Defiance is gonna make developers even more gunshy when it comes to straying from the tired old fantasy formula to make a sci-fi MMO.

I want to waste my time and money in a sci-fi setting drat it. :(

Defiance was just so loving bad. I had some hopes for it thanks to RIFT, but god drat.

The most original sci-fi MMO I have played was Anarchy Online. I also did not like it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

hahaha what the gently caress

Edit: raids are still bad and will always be bad

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 24, 2016

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

My roommate plays softball with his work every Thursday night

Holyshoot posted:

Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday

New thread title

Wildstar: Just like playing softball with your work every Thursday

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Like I am enjoying BnS but really by western MMO standards it's complete garbage.

Wait, what does this mean.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

The Raid guys actually made some neat raids that 95% of the playerbase never got to see. Like if you were say a heroic or above raider in WoW's last expansion, you absolutely would have adored Wildstar's raids.

This is a first I hear of Wildstar's raids being anything but bad. You saw a lot of flack in these threads regarding the bad design choices in those such as the loot, enrage timers, health/shield sponges, boss mechanics, and the color green.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Marvel Heroes lets you know what the next daily reward is. Unsure if any other games do that, though.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Lonjon posted:

Sometimes I don't know if you people are joking or not. Is this a joke? Please tell me it is, and that I'm dumb for even thinking this is a real thing.

My favorites are the cash shops that rent you cosmetic items. Even better if there's no option to permanently buy it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I like this, this whole pants thing. I want to believe that one of the patches just removed pants and now you have to slog through menus to craft them with a universal apology token.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

And it's the only game I enjoyed healing on (aimed heals were a lot more fun than GRID whack a mole).

I found Bear Shamans in Age of Conan healing to be the most entertaining, while healing in Warhammer was easily the best improvement on an archaic system. Wish more MMOs tried to make those classes more interesting.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

warhammer died because they had literally no idea what balance was

I don't know if it's true or not, but I recall reading that the devs purposely overtuned the Order faction. Even if it's not true, many of their classes had a more nuanced kit that made PVP/RVR a real pain in the rear end.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

I feel like CoX was a pretty fun and special MMO and that I missed out by not really playing it, but I also know that it's colored by nostalgia because it's not around anymore.

I'm also super interested in stories about older MMOs that I never played, so I like reading about the good times people had with CoX.

If it helps most of my joy from CoX was creating heroes/villians. I found it to be very bland combat-wise with some neat travel abilities for its time. To me, it's like reading that people loved Spore outside of its creation tools.

MMOs are weird like that where they just sometimes click with you or not.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

The fear is probably that players will abuse it and ruin the economy or whatever. Not that this is necessarily a reasonable fear, and having a limited number of no-questions-asked take backs is a good solution.

This is even better when you consider that WS had a duping problem that crushed its economy and the devs refused to roll back the servers.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Schubalts posted:

They COULD NOT rollback the servers. They lacked the ability to rollback the servers.

Hahaha, oh lord. I didn't know this. Wow.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of surprised there hasn't already been a spiritual successor pop up over at Kickstarter. Seems to be the trend these days with older MMOs and their original creators.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I too enjoyed AA and even Hellgate London (also beta). Gotta play all the lovely MMOs!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

D&D Online is a better choice if you want to replay an old MMO. Decided to replay it a few months ago and tried the Temple of Elemental Evil module, it was a nice change of pace from MMO dungeons that are just straight lines to bosses.

I enjoyed D&D Online with goons, but (unless they changed it) you need a party for most of the content. I didn't even know it was still going.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Langosta Whiteman posted:

I noticed today that Steam has an overall rating of "Mostly Positive" for the game. Surely this must be the work of unscrupulous fanboys, right? Has the game actually become fun?

When it went Free to Play, I believe they relaunched the game on Steam giving it a clean slate.

Edit: Also yeah, do not play this game.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hahaha wow, what the gently caress. Trion was fantastic when RIFT came out and I liked how they approached a few of the tired MMO systems as well as their solid update schedule.

How do you get fired from Daybreak. That's amazing.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

i am tim! posted:

EDIT: vvv Everybody got to start from one of four basic classes, Fighter, Scout, Mage and Priest, and then specialize from there. First to one of three sub rolls (IE Fighter would become a Warrior, Brawler or Crusader), and then to two final classes for each of the three sub rolls with a sort of "Good & Evil" theme (IE Crusader would become a Paladin or Shadow Knight).

That reminds me. I'm not sure if all the classes required it, but I recall that you needed to fulfill some of your unique class quests in a solo instance. Some of them were a real bitch when the game first came out. I had to abuse a bug for my Swashbuckler to single pull targets due to how poorly balanced the game was and the anemic selection of gear.

Everything in EQ2 looks like its made out of shimmering play-doh.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I want that blood mage healer. More mmos need to do unique classes

I liked the concept behind RIFT's Chloromancer. You could mark targets that healed people who hit them and you could mark your tank to receive additional benefits from your spells. Kind of a lot of micromanagement, though.

Oh and Age of Conan's Bear Shaman were cool.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeaugggh. That's one of those ideas that doesn't even sound good on paper.

It worked more like splash healing that topped your DPS off as they do their job and not main healing. All the main healing you did was from you doing DPS to your marked target. It wasn't too terrible, but like I said, lots of micromanagement.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That game had the best homeless drunk man class and a fun kidnapping system.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Eopia posted:

I was actually under the impression that 'General MMO Discussion Thread' is what this had turned into. I certainly know that when I see new posts in here that the last thing I expect is for them to actually be discussing Wildstar.

This, also what CoffeeBooze said, and the added bonus of laughing at WS when there is actual news about it.

Every few months you get someone who pretty much asks why this thread exists.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I like FFXIV, it has a god awful costume mechanic that requires reagents with the gear, in a game with limited inventory. Easily the worse I've come across.

They really need to update those systems.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

But the black mage rotation is probably the easiest one out of them all? Like, go look at a ninja rotation, what the actual gently caress were they thinking? When they said they were ability pruning I was happy, then they said we'd end up with about as many buttons and I was sad again.

Well that's lame.

I don't like how slow leveling is in FF14, but I always feel that I'm a minority when it comes to that. I enjoy how Marvel Heroes handles it by exponentially increasing your xp rate for each hero you take to endgame (maxes at 200% xp).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

it is with great regret I must inform you the Wildstar thread is about FF14 again

Since this has become the general MMO thread, is it that odd? I don't follow the other MMO threads, so I'm assuming FF14 fatigue is still a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

WoW has improved a lot in that regard. Especially in their most recent expansion, even a lot of melee attacks have unique animations, with better acceleration/hit-pause for impact and even particle effects and cool swing trails.

Good on them. Melee is always lackluster compared to spells in most games when it comes to their visuals.

Dark Age of Camelot had it the worse back in the day with like 3 melee animations per weapon type and it always irked me. I kind of liked how EQ handled spell progression with you just making GBS threads out particle effects the further you went up in level.

• Locked thread