Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
typical of advocacy parasites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Turdball spike is exceeding the Rudd Revival.

We are all DOOMED

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Sorry I'm late! Yes we should have open borders. A free flow of human movement globally is inevitable and and the concept of nations and nationalism is poison. If you don't like the natural inclination of humanity to move then you can start your own extremist commune with big walls over in Patagonia or something.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Anidav posted:

We are all DOOMED

Well what was the Abbott spike like? As much doom and gloom as it seems, I don't think it will be as clear cut when it comes to the actual vote. I think that (should the movement against Nazi asylum seeker treatment continues) momentum against the right should pick up. If labor makes the correct move and dumps shorten they will pick up some goodwill with the voter base.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fliptophead posted:

Well what was the Abbott spike like? As much doom and gloom as it seems, I don't think it will be as clear cut when it comes to the actual vote. I think that (should the movement against Nazi asylum seeker treatment continues) momentum against the right should pick up. If labor makes the correct move and dumps shorten they will pick up some goodwill with the voter base.

Abbott broke records in how short his honeymoon period was. Trying to misread these polls as saying Labor will bounce back is impossible.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solemn Sloth posted:

quote:

Charities working in immigration detention centres were asked to pay multimillion-dollar bonds that could be forfeited if they spoke out against government policy, as the Coalition sought to maintain secrecy over border protection.
Nothing to see here

This is one of those things people will read about in history books and wonder how we could sink so low.

e. I mean in addition to everything else.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 30, 2015

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nothing to see here

That seems illegal to the point where the government couldn't worm it's way out tbh.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Since leaving office, Labor leader turned semi-professional troll Mark Latham has tried to position himself as an unofficial spokesman for the people of Sydney's west.

But he may have burnt through whatever credit he had left in his beloved homeland with another baiting appearance on Channel Nine's The Verdict, in which he attempted a spirited defence of the word "Negro".

The panel show - which has hired Latham as a regular guest - was discussing former cabinet minister Eric Abetz's use of the slur during a radio interview last week, which earned him widespread condemnation.

But Latham, ever the contrarian, protested that he hadn't received "the memo" informing him that the term had been deemed offensive.

"Back in the '70s and '80s, 'Negro' was actually a respected, dignified alternative to really racist terms like 'friend of the family' and 'darky'," Latham began. "So I must have missed the memo somewhere in the '90s or more recently as to when 'Negro' became unacceptable.

"I'm happy to make my weekly donation to Australia's outrage industry by saying 'Negro, Negro, Negro'."

Shocked host Karl Stefanovic responded to Latham by quoting the Oxford Dictionary, which notes that the word has been regarded as outdated and offensive since the Black Power movement of the 1960s.

But the Lair of Liverpool (who prefers the Macquarie Dictionary anyway) was not going to be silenced by the bureaucratic boffins at some word-book-thingy.

"Well Karl, I could walk through any street in western Sydney and no one would find 'Negro' offensive," Latham declared. "And who are these unelected, self-appointed people who've decided that we all need to speak like them? Who are these people?"

Clearly taken aback at the display, fellow panelist and psychologist Sandy Rea told Latham: "You sound like white trash talking like that."

Latham was supported in his crusade by News Corp columnist Miranda Devine, who declared that 'Negro' was not offensive but in vogue, employed by such contemporary figures as ... Martin Luther King.

"The word 'Negro' is not offensive," she said. "It's used by older black Americans. Martin Luther King used it in his 'I Have a Dream' speech."

Mr Abetz, too, had noted in a statement that King used the word 15 times during that famous speech.

Senator Jacqui Lambie disagreed, reiterating her call for Abetz to resign.

"He's at the end of his career and he needs to step down," she said.

During Thursday's episode of The Verdict, Latham revealed that he had done some further investigative work and discovered that "at the ABC, you can't use the word 'Aborigine'."

He compared that to Fair Work Commission vice-president Michael Lawler's use of the word "c----struck", which was aired during an episode of Four Corners last week.

"It's now got to the absurdity of policing political correctness in Australia that at the ABC they can broadcast the word 'c----struck' … but they can't use the word 'Aborigine'," he said.

"This is totally out of control."

It would not be the first memo Latham has missed since the 1960s. Since leaving the Labor leadership in 2004, Latham has stirred up controversy through his columns in The Australian Financial Review (published by Fairfax Media) and the Spectator Australia, and as a talking head on Sky News.

Latham had targeted women, the mentally ill and victims of domestic violence in his most incendiary columns. One of his most notorious television appearances came in 2013 when he attacked Andrew Robb, now the trade minister, over his history of depression.

Latham resigned in disgrace from the Financial Review in August after being outed by Buzzfeed as the owner of an abusive Twitter account. He also fell out with two editors at the Spectator, Tom Switzer and Rowan Dean.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I remember when mark latham got a note from his doctor saying he couldnt do politics anymore.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I remember when Mark Latham ran a parody twitter account of Mark Latham

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

*registers @TheRealMuyb*

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I actually think it's pretty disgusting how the media is exploiting the ravings of a person who is quite obviously mentally ill for ratings/circulation and will continue to do so until they offer me a paid gig

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

I remember when Mark Latham ran a parody twitter account of Mark Latham

That turned out to be less offensive than the actual Mark Latham.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
*Mark Latham roams the streets in a tattered tracksuit, masturbating and screaming racial slurs*

'You're all snobs, this is life in Western Sydney, welcome to the real world twitterati'

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

You Am I posted:

Don't bet, put that money towards something good, like the Asylum Seekers Resource Centre

I donated to a xmas shoe drive for ASRC or some other mob and got an email telling me how thankful the prison guards were to receive a big box of kids shoes and how they immediately dumped them in a storeroom with all the other potentially hazardous care packages, never to see the light of day.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

We are all DOOMED

Abbott and Hockey are gone. One of my greatest wishes in life. I'm happy to embrace the Turnbull juggernaut.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Solemn Sloth posted:

*registers @TheRealMuyb*

so you can tweet about the massive government conspiracy to conceal phantom boat arrivals

and alternately discuss the demons forward line

*believes government is literally murdering people*

*welp, who wants to watch the footy*

white australia dot txt

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Abbott and Hockey are gone. One of my greatest wishes in life. I'm happy to embrace the Turnbull juggernaut.

What is the functional difference between turnbull and abbott? What has changed?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Technically, Turnbull is more adult given his age and therefore the adults are now back in charge.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Frogmanv2 posted:

What is the functional difference between turnbull and abbott? What has changed?

No one is eating onions.

Honestly though I am less interested in Abbott than I am in seeing Hockey given the arse.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

joe hockey is fat

Negligent fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 30, 2015

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Frogmanv2 posted:

It's toasted.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

actually, jfc, in the medium-long term what are australia's most important strategic relationships

china, indonesia, usa

you can mount a legit case that a pm could be rubbish on domestic issues if he got those above relationships right and still be on balance a good pm because lets face it in the last 40 years aus owes its stability to the us and its prosperity to its ability to dig things up and sell it to china

malc actually understands that poo poo in a way that even krudd didnt dare talk about so yeah he will go down in history as a legit good pm

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

The Arsetralian posted:

Kyrgyzstan option to resettle Nauru and Manus Island refugees

The Central Asian country of Kyrgyzstan is being considered for the resettlement of refugees on Nauru and Manus Island­, as the Turnbull government struggles to find a political solution for more than 1500 asylum-seekers who attempted to reach Australia by boat.

Amid growing calls for Malcolm Turnbull to urgently find a solution for those who have been held in detention for as long as two years, The Weekend Australian can reveal Kyrgyzstan is among the countries listed by authorities as a potential solution for refugee resettlement, particularly for Hazara people from ­Afghanistan.

Other former Soviet bloc countries are also understood to have been selected, along with some in Africa and South America, but no deals have yet been struck. Kyrgyzstan, the former Soviet republic of predominantly Turkic-speaking Muslims, borders China and is only about 100km from the Afghanistan border, separated by Tajikistan.

Its people are among the world’s poorest, with GDP per capita of $3400 a year, compared with $46,600 in Australia. In Afghan­istan it is $2000.

The scramble for a political ­solution for refugees held in ­detention comes as the Prime Minister maintains the government’s hardline position on not resettling asylum-seekers who arrive by boat.

Writing in The Weekend Australian today, opposition immig­ration spokesman Richard Marles urges the government to find a “third country” solution for those in long-term detention but holds firm that any softening of the nation’s border­-protection policies would revive the people-smuggling trade.

“Were the policy to end and refugees resettled in Australia then asylum-seeker vessels would again set sail from Java and many asylum-seekers would inevitably die,” he writes. “A third country option for the refugees on Nauru must be found, yet Malcolm Turnbull’s government has dropped the ball.”

A proposed $150 million deal with The Philippines to take an unknown number of refugees from Australia recently collapsed. Concern has also been raised about the effectiveness of a deal with Cambodia, which has settled just four people from Nauru in an arrangement costing taxpayers more than $55m.

Mr Marles, who is a supporter of offshore processing for asylum-seekers and won a battle at the ALP conference to stop the party banning boat turnbacks, said the government appeared to have no long-term plans for the refugees on Nauru. He said permanent resettlement was not an option on Nauru.

But he defended Nauru, saying it had been unfairly demonised by those seeking to discredit offshore processing. Noting that The Australian’s Chris Kenny had reported from Nauru, Mr Marles called for more access for the media, saying “so much of what is said in the asylum-seeker debate is uninformed”.

“Few of the voices in this debate­ have ever been to Nauru,” he said. “Many have a clear agenda to break the model of offshore processing on Nauru. I disagree with this agenda but I accept it is a significantly held view.”

Soon after becoming Prime Minister last month, Mr Turnbull expressed concern about the long-term detention of refugees held on Manus and Nauru.

The Department of Foreign Affairs travel advice for Kyrgyzstan is to exercise a “high degree of caution”, warning of potential civil unrest, the threat of terrorism and high levels of crime.

A human rights report from the US State Department last year reveals a litany of alleged abuses in the country, including ethnic violence and “failure to protect refugees adequately”.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton refused to comment on the Kyrgyzstan option yesterday, as he rejected calls by Amnesty International for a royal commission into whether Australia paid people-smugglers to turn back boats. While reasserting that no boat arrival would be resettled in Australia, Mr Dutton said the government was working to clear detention centres.

Earlier this month, Mr Dutton said Australian government offic­ials were having discussions with a number of different countries about resettlement but would not reveal details.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Surprisingly, not a Backburner article.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Negligent posted:

actually, jfc, in the medium-long term what are australia's most important strategic relationships

china, indonesia, usa

Why is Indonesia on that list? Why isn't Japan? Japan is one of our biggest import/export partners.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Negligent posted:

malc actually understands that poo poo in a way that even krudd didnt dare talk about so yeah he will go down in history as a legit good pm

How do you know this?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

How to make the voting population of Australia even dumber posted:

Bill Shorten calls for voting age to be lowered to 16
The nation's voting age should be lowered to 16 because young Australians do not see their views reflected in Parliament, according to Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten.

In a speech to the New South Wales Young Labor conference in Sydney today, Mr Shorten will argue if people aged 16 and 17 can drive, work, pay taxes, join the military and make their own choices about medical treatment, they should also be allowed to vote.

Federal Labor said research by the Whitlam Institute has shown young people want to be involved in decision making, and opportunities to do so should be offered within political structures.

Mr Shorten will argue young people deserve the right to shape the laws and policies that shape their lives.

The party points to examples overseas where the voting age has been lowered, including Scotland, Austria and Brazil.

"In 2012/13, more than 17,000 Australians under 18 paid $41 million in taxes, not to mention the GST," he will say.

"Then we — the Parliament of Australia — should extend that trust to include a direct, empowered say in our democracy.

"It's certainly occurring in other parts of the world.

"I believe the more voices in our national debate, the better."

Mr Shorten will cite data from the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) showing 400,000 people aged 18 to 24 did not enrol to vote in time for the last federal election.

"Too many of your peers are falling through the cracks in our democracy," Mr Shorten will say.

He will argue that fines and penalties from the AEC is unlikely to fix that issue, nor will rhetoric from politicians.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Loving the "but kids don't know anything about policies or parliament or the constitution" responses

Because apparently knowledge has overnight become a prerequisite of voting in Australia.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
[

Solemn Sloth posted:

Loving the "but kids don't know anything about policies or parliament or the constitution" responses

Because apparently knowledge has overnight become a prerequisite of voting in Australia.

never go full comments posted:

No, unless voting becomes voluntary, and that's not likely to happen anytime soon. Most 16 year olds are far more interested in tweeting, facebooking, even phoning, relationships, shopping etc than to vote. So, is the AEC going to prosecute them for not turning up to vote and fine them what - $20? More likely most 16 y/olds will not bother to enrol. Its a numbers game for Bill Shorten, or any political leader, on a promise.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MaliciousOnion posted:

Why is Indonesia on that list? Why isn't Japan? Japan is one of our biggest import/export partners.
Don't touch the poop.

Frogmanv2 posted:

How do you know this?
You even promised you were going to stop touching the poop.

Frogmanv2 posted:

I'm sorry thread. I will stop responding to Negligent.

Oh gently caress it. Last day of the thread (etc.) Negligent please explain how the US has contributed to the "stability" of Australia at any point in time in the last forty years. It's a difficult one but I'm sure you are up to it. Try and find an external source that backs your opinion. tia.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If caring more about Facebook, twitter and shopping than voting disqualifies you then the greens and family first would be fighting it out for government.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Cartoon posted:

Don't touch the poop.
You even promised you were going to stop touching the poop.

Oh gently caress it. Last day of the thread (etc.) Negligent please explain how the US has contributed to the "stability" of Australia at any point in time in the last forty years. It's a difficult one but I'm sure you are up to it. Try and find an external source that backs your opinion. tia.

If it wasn't for the over the horizon deterrent the Indonesians would have marched from Dili to Canberra

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If you want kids to be able to vote at 16 then lower the age of majority to 16.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

If it wasn't for the over the horizon deterrent the Indonesians would have marched from Dili to Canberra
Military governments in the Indonesian style tend to be very stable. Try again.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Marles sounds like an idiot.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
If you think having more people vote for Labor and the Greens over the LNP is a good thing then you pretty much have to support lowering the voting age

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

chriss kenny used to be malcolm turnbulls chief of staff? lollĺllllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

katlington posted:

chriss kenny used to be malcolm turnbulls chief of staff? lollĺllllll
A dog act if ever there was.

• Locked thread