Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah. I'm sure that's exactly it. To avoid a repeat of a thing that happened a month and a half ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I have a better idea: how about we start an educational program for wannabe kidnappers so they would know how to do it successfully and get away with it, so they don't make incredibly stupid mistakes such as showing your face to your captive victim and training on how not to leave DNA evidence?

That way kidnappers will feel safe enough so that when people are willing to pay the ransom, they can accept it instead of killing the hostage out of fear.

Tokamak posted:

So they are worried about some German serial ransomers setting up shop in Australia? As far as legislation for your political donors goes, this is some very selective reasoning.

No, they've been agitating for this law change for far longer than that poor girl has been dead.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

ScreamingLlama posted:

Fuckhead footy players are responsible for ruining many things.

Milky Moor posted:

Like ASMRs.

Like LARPs :v:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

No speedos 0/10.

Actually it's beautiful and I think the baby Bernardi is nursing is a nod towards him splitting off to form his own new party.

Cleretic posted:

Oh man, this just made me realize how dangerous Abbott is right now. He was relentless and dangerous as opposition leader, never letting the fact he had no facts get in the way, and he was remarkably effective at it.

Now he's back out of power. And clearly holding a grudge.

Yeah he was dangerous because hardly anyone called him on his bullshit and as opposition leader he had no real responsibilities other than to kick, scream and point fingers which is what he does best. I am so hoping he does more of this "I'm not complain but..." or "I'm not sniping but..." The cutest part about it is I think Abbott is so dumb he doesn't actually realize he's sniping. He's the kind of person that thinks prefacing a sentence with, "No offense intended but" actually means something.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Unimpressed posted:

I thought that was Kevin Andrews nursing the baby.

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah gotta be Andrews, check the hair and ears.

I'm not entirely convinced, I'd need to study Pope's depictions of Andrews/Bernardi in his previous works. But you're both way more likely to be right given that Andrews and Abetz got booted from their portfolios and I'm just being dumb.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Once the Murdoch press is over it's conniption they'll either have to start pointing out his bullshit or let him undermine the LNP.

I never thought I'd say this but you should read Bolt's subarticle from the Herald Sun yesterday. He goes off his nut that the ABC must be feeling safe with Turnbull in charge, and specifically goes after Q&A because they had three left wing and two right wing panelists according to Bolt, and because Tony Jones remarked that people are speculating that Bernardi would form his own party, and jokingly called it, "Cory Bernardi’s Golden Dawn". And wow does he cry a lot.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Uh I think the salt in tears would still kill the plants, and harvesting human tears is really inefficient anyway.

What I'm saying is it's a great idea and you should write your local MP about it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Quoting this because it was the last page and it's really nice to have demi-good news in between fascism bouts. I mean it's really good that doctor's are holding up a big middle finger to border force and the government, but terrible that it's necessary at all.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

"Sank" is a generous word for a boat that appeared out of nowhere and was dashed on the rocks while locals threw life jackets from the cliff top because there was nothing else they could do aside from look on in horror.

What I'm saying is bless Mr Morrison's heavenly heart :angel:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

quote:

A number of groups have already accused the organisation of being anti-farming and have called for it to focus on the welfare of domestic pets instead.

:laffo:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

I suspect they were more, but I'm at a point in my life over the next few months where losing even a few hundred bucks could make things very difficult.

What happens if you just don't lodge one? I was trying to figure out whether I should lodge one in the UK and was told by several of my coworkers that they'd just "never done one." I couldn't really figure out how that works.

You might get a penalty for failing to lodge a tax return in the future, which if you got one you could ask to be waived once you lodge the return due to whatever personal circumstances or just in light of you previously good record. The ATO has an international line if you want to call them and ask. 8am to 5pm AEST +61 2 6216 1111. Or delegate and get a friend in Australia to ring and ask general questions about what someone in your situation should do. Like skype to your friend while they're on the phone so you can pass info back and forth. They won't be able to access your account like that but they should be able to answer questions about what someone in your situation should do. Or, ring up the international line, pass the proof of identity part, and then add someone you really trust to your account so they can ring on your behalf and access/provide/change specific details if necessary in the future. If you're overseas for a long time it's not a bad idea to have a parent or someone you *really* trust to be able to ring up and do tax stuff for you. It also helps if the ATO is trying to contact you for whatever reason.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

If you're paranoid just don't put in your TFN when prompted and ask for call recording to be turned off, and stick to general questions and what ifs until you're sure.

No one in the call centres will give the slightest of shits to refer the call to higher ups unless you openly admit to planning to rip off a few hundred thousand because a) the chances of getting someone who actually cares is really low, b) they're under the pump stats wise so they really want to avoid excess work and c) if call recording is turned off they'll be more relaxed as quality assurance can't be done on the call, so they can gently caress around and be a bit looser and more frank with advice instead of rigidly sticking to script.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

HookShot posted:

I don't even know what that means and it still looks easier than the Canadian one.

I always filed online in Australia so didn't know what the forms looked like. I actually find it easier to file paper in Canada, because I'm apparently awful at technology

The forms actually have a very similar colouring and spacing, so much so that when I looked at I thought what the gently caress kind of hellish photoshop had been done to an Australian tax return.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

There is no maximum window for the ATO to investigate if they suspect you're doing something dodgy.

He's a little bit right. The ATO has a limit on how long they can audit lodged tax returns, and likewise people have a limit on how long they can amend their own tax returns. For people with simple tax affairs it's two years. For more complex returns it's five, which is why they say keep records for five years. But given that people can ask to have their returns amended beyond the two year/five year limits through a special mechanism I'm sure there's a mechanism for the ATO to go after uncovered tax evasion schemes.

Cartoon posted:

:rip: Your rights, unless of course you're a white right wing nut job with a hand gun!

If you feel like slitting your wrists a little,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7jxfxjphk

JBark posted:

Note it's not usually the tax returns that get people, it's the report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR).

Thanks, this is pretty cool.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Re fish for cat food, fish may have a lower carbon footprint but it sure as gently caress isn't sustainable

Not even fish farms? I don't know what their carbon footprint is like though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Death is certain :( Thanks for the effort and the ongoing clarifications.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

For some reason I interpreted that as ABC new reporting on a section of the West Gate bridge collapsing 45 minutes ago. Maybe I should sleep.

In the Melbourne World Trade Centre there used to be a small exhibit on the collapse on the mezzanine level. I'm not sure if it's still there as it was 4+ years ago. It was something I never knew about until I saw the exhibit.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

loving Queensland what is it this time...

ABC Online posted:

Queensland Parliament passes new domestic violence laws granting victims 'special witness' status

Victims of domestic violence will no longer have to face their alleged attacker in court under laws passed in Queensland.

Minister for Women Shannon Fentiman said victims would automatically have "special witness" status in court.

"Imagine the bravery it takes to stand up to a violent partner, only to find you have to give evidence in front of them in court," she said.

The legislation also increased maximum penalties for repeated breaches of domestic violence orders to three years' jail for first-time breaches and five years' jail for subsequent breaches.

An independent Family and Domestic Violence Death and Advisory Review Board will be established to identify systemic issues in delivering services.

Furthermore, Attorney-General Yvette D'Ath said there would be specific notes on a person's criminal history for domestic violence-related offending.

"This will help our judges and magistrates to become aware of repeat or problem behaviour before it escalates," she said.

Oh. Um. Sorry Queensland, you're all right.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Laserface posted:

Apparently we are laying "kilometres" of copper to make sure the FTTN NBN works.

I mean you could just put fibre in the loving holes you're digging. What the hell.

We're a forward looking country that likes digging holes in the ground. We're looking forward to digging up those same holes in five/ten years times.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

The leader of far-right wing group the United Patriots Front has stepped down after members laughed at a video making fun of him.

this is just really loving funny

Anidav had that covered.

Anidav posted:

“This is what we’ve got to put up with. Now I don’t mind putting up with death threats from Muslims, I don’t mind [dealing with] media, but when your own loving people start turning against you and having a laugh, and spreading left wing poo poo, after all the sacrifices you made for them, that’s where I draw the loving line and I’m done. I’m loving done.”

This quote was the best bit.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

Man, Latham certainly puts the 2004 federal election result into a different light.

Yep :staredog:

Anidav posted:

It's funny how he is secretly more right-wing than Howard.

I don't mean this as a joke. Maybe he is actually going insane.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Lmao Bill Shorten to the left of Turnbull? Bill Shorten is between Turnbull and Abbott.

Nice try closet ALP shill Jordies.

God how are you so stupid.

At least point to his pro-unions videos if you're going to make this argument.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

No they're about mocking idiots who think they're so clever they've got the whole union thing figured out thanks to newspaper scandals, while remaining ignorant of what they owe to unions, and educating his lefty terrorists in training audience that actually listen to him what they owe to unions and why they are good even if the political party closely associated with them is poo poo.

I get that you're being willfully dense to make a joke, but it just so happens bogan is one of the stereotypes he falls back on because his audience love it and it's an easy goal.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

As an aside, have you been referred to a jobseeker agency? I was referred to one that specializes in working with disabled people, and basically any time I said "i can't loving do this" at the meeting they were like "ok cool". This was after I put in a new med cert with centrelink that said I was incapacitated, and they said "no gently caress you according to our meeting 4 months ago you're fine".

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Please tell us something we don't know. A program tonight had interviews with members of Reclaim Australia and their reasoning made me want to throw up. Someone actually used the Lindt cafe siege as a reason for joining Reclaim Australia to defend against Islam. "Hello I paid attention to the situation there was a siege at the cafe and someone waved a flag, two people died, Islam religion of evil, end of story."

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

QUACKTASTIC posted:

What better group to join if you wanted to stomp a minority group into the ground than literal Nazis?

Any left wing group that gets into bash the fash?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

"I'm very concerned about her privacy, but here are the sweet details to protect my starch rear end. It's ok I didn't mention any real names!!!"

That's not how privacy works. It's hosed how the privacy of on water matters is absolute but the minister can loving bust out this poo poo about medical treatment/non-treatment to protect his rear end.

And yes I know someone is going to empty quote this and just bold the protect his rear end bit.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Literally mad as hell right now that I worked a lovely APS job for years where a person's privacy was considered sacrosanct and the fastest way to get yourself fired, fined or jailed was to gently caress with that, but a loving Minister can just blab whatever he likes and will face zero consequences.

Kegslayer posted:

The government then went on a full 'Free Speech' rampage and tried to appeal the law before realising that running the 'it's okay to be a racist' card probably wasn't going to win it the next election.

What happened to Brandis, I lost track of him after Turnbull came from behind with the knives.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Birb Katter posted:

Bold the whole loving thing, this is sickening.

I can't even make a little joke about this. It's beyond hosed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Who is Phillip Zylstra, why is his post claiming he is Pamela Curr from ASRC? Gonna need a more solid source than that.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

BBJoey posted:

So am I reading this wrong or at no point does he refute the allegation that he forced his way into her room? The only thing he refutes in relation to Pamela Curr's quote is that on his second visit (why would he need to visit a second time?) Abyan agreed to a photo if her face was not shown. And I don't know about you guys but if it takes two visits to convince someone to allow you to take their photo and even then you have to agree not to show their face, it doesn't sound like you've had the most pleasant relationship??

Just to be clear that article was not written by not-dogfucker Chris Kenny.

Also the tweet by not-dogfucker Chris Kenny ending with #theirABC is amazing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fat Jesus posted:

loving lol. The cops are responding to her report she was raped. she refuses to press charges or say who when or what happened. If she could provide this somewhat important info I think you'd find she'd get quite a lot of help, which makes some wonder why she claims she was raped if she won't give any further details. Plus you don't have any actual evidence she agreed to be interviewed because she was poo poo scared unless you get all your news from sjw refugee activists on twitter.

The cops left after being told to speak to her Australian lawyer, straight from your repost. 'Speak to my lawyer' is pretty loving common.

Now if you are not a complete deadshit and have been following news from Nauru, you would know that a) refugees are regularly threatened/sometimes attacked/definitely hated by locals b) the Nauru police are a total joke, to the point where it's not actually possible to make jokes about them they're that hosed up.

You would also know some months ago there was a report of a woman being found naked, beaten, claiming to be raped, on the side of the road and was treated loving abysmally by the Nauru police, to the point that a medical staff member who was eventually allowed to treat her after a lengthy police interrogation (yes, interrogation) was horrified, and it doesn't take a loving genius to take details from recent articles about Abyan to connect dots to the old articles and conclude Abyan is the same woman.

This is also on the heels of Border Force last week pulling a fast one by chartering a flight to get Abyan back to Nauru before her Australian lawyers could seek an injunction to stop that from happening.

Do you think she has a justifiable reason to tell police of any nation to piss the hell off and speak to her lawyer?

Also the SJW refugee activist on twitter in question is a campaign coordinator for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre. The ASRC are really good people. If they are wrong, it's because they've been mislead by their source/mistranslation, they are not the equivalent of ambulance chasers.

And yep, I would still take their word any day of the week over Chris Kenny, who is a legit piece of poo poo with zero decency or sensitivity and probably thinks sticking a camera in Abyan's face and pressing for an interview is doing her a favour and not traumatising her further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Adnar posted:

Meanwhile

Well he's doing his uncle proud.

• Locked thread