Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I thought the title was to do with Abbot's downfall and transition into undermining Turnbull with leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Looks like Tony ripped a big one.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen were mixed with codeine so second year chemistry students could do acid/base extractions as lab experiments.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah gotta be Andrews, check the hair and ears.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Freudian Slip posted:

One of the things I found, which I believe feeds into there gun problems is that Americans are believers whereas Australians are doubters.

I'm not sure I believe that.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My jokes never seem to get rated well.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I liked your joke.

Cheers

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You don't even have to work weekends personally to have weekend work mess with your life. Having a partner that worked Saturdays was bad enough.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I can only think that someone is benefiting financially from this.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Carmichael coal mine has been re-approved. Isn't that the mine all the backing fell out of?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is this UPF guy the same one that was on the 7:30 report recently? His 'serious' videos were a complete joke too.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

He's got a look on his face that says he doesn't understand what this is all about. Why are people angry and why didn't this happen to the last guy.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-19/asylum-seeker-sets-himself-on-fire-on-phone-to-refugee-advocates/6867712

quote:

Asylum seeker sets himself on fire in Victoria while on video call to refugee advocates

An asylum seeker has died after setting fire to himself during a video call with refugee advocates on Sunday.

Key points:

Afghan asylum seeker, Khodayar Amini, dies after setting fire to himself
Man was on video call with Refugee Rights Action Network advocates at the time
Advocates said man feared being deported, taken back into immigration detention
Afghan man Khodayar Amini, 30, doused himself in petrol before setting himself alight in Dandenong, Victoria, shortly before midday.

Advocate Sarah Ross told the ABC she and fellow Refugee Rights Action Network member Michelle Bui were on a video call with Amini when he threatened to take his life.

Ms Ross said the pair tried to talk him down, but were unsuccessful.

"We called emergency services to try to find him," she said.

Police later told them they had found a body in burnt parkland, but could not confirm the identity.

Man feared being deported, refugee advocates say

Ms Ross said she had spoken to Amini previously while he was in Western Australia's Yongah Hill Immigration Detention Centre, but his mental health had deteriorated once released into the community.

She said he had become desperate out of fear of being deported.

"He was living out of his car in the past few days," she said.

"His housemate had apparently told him that the police had come to his house looking for him.

"His fear and his belief was that as soon as they found him that they would take him back into the detention centre. So he was basically hiding out from them."

Immigration officials confirmed the man's death during Senate estimates.

An Australian Border Force spokesman said a coronial investigation would be carried out, and could not say whether he was due to be taken into custody.

"There has been a death of someone in the community, who was known to the department," he said.

In a statement, the Refugee Rights Action Network said that Amini feared being taken back into immigration detention where they claim his friends took their own lives.

The group stated that Hazara asylum seeker Nasim Najafi died from a "suspected suicide" in Yongah Hill Immigration Detention Centre in July.

"There have been two confirmed suicides in Perth alone and one suspicious death," the statement said.

"All of these deaths were Hazara asylum seekers, either detained or on bridging visas."

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've been doing a lot of work on GIS with one specific area over the last week or so, so I've begun automatically using shortcut names for certain areas, this is the brontosaurus

There's a whelp face in orange there.

• Locked thread