Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

I am not melting down. It is you, who are the one who is having a meltdown. Please stop freaking out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

lmao abbott on the front bench

if there is a just god he will see to it that it happens

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Maybe the majority of the population can't look up the facts on asylum seekers because DSL internet is slow and poo poo.

The majority of the population doesn't give a poo poo about the facts on asylum seekers. The $360,000 per person per year more it costs to detain someone offshore rather than house them in a community is worth it, to S T O P T H E B O A T S

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

This is how you de-radicalise people.

Maybe the US is onto something here - if we just kill every human being, there will be no more radicals. Something to keep in the back of our minds as a fallback option at least.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Canberra golf courses warn ACT Government water prices could force closures

quote:

Golf courses across the territory have called on the ACT Government to reduce the price of water to the same level as what clubs pay in New South Wales.

Murrumbidgee Country Club president Ron Shepherd said with Canberra predicted to be heading into a long, dry summer, the price of water had become even more critical.

"For over 20 years, our club in particular, Murrumbidgee, has been held to ransom by annual drought," he said.

gonna need a bigger :qq:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nyerf posted:

I'm not the only one extremely uncomfortable with the fact that the media seem to be 100% ok with an adult policeman gunning down a 15 year old ostensibly because that's the only 'safe' way they have of stopping someone with a gun, right?

What other method would you suggest for dealing with someone armed with a deadly weapon who has already used it to kill someone, please?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Here's what I found on the ABC:

quote:

Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the lone gunman, who is yet to be identified, shot the police employee at close range as he was leaving the building around 4:30pm on Friday.

The offender then fired several more shots at officers as they emerged from the building to respond to the incident.

The gunman was killed when the officers, who are special constables, returned fire.

In an unprepared scenario where someone armed with a gun has already indicated they are willing to use lethal force and has shot at you, literally the only safe option you have is shooting back and when you shoot at someone you shoot to kill. Some people get romantic notions that the police should "shoot to wound", ignoring the fact that a) guns are deadly weapons, shooting someone in what is meant to be a "non-lethal" way can often lead to death regardless, b) said "non-lethal" methods of shooting are more difficult than shooting centre-of-mass, increasing the chance that the shot will miss and hit an unintended target and c) even if you hit him non-lethally there's no guarantee you've stopped the gunman. Great, you shot him in the leg, oops he's just dropped to the ground and is still shooting at you, now you have to shoot to kill anyway.

It's a tragedy that this event has happened and it's a tragedy that all the usual fuckheads are going to crawl out of the woodwork and talk about how Muslims can't be trusted etc. and continue the cycle of marginalising Islam in our society, contributing to the radicalisation that leads to incidents like these, and I'm definitely no apologist for everything cops do, but in the circumstances the police made the best of a bad situation and they're definitely not at fault here.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I feel like the time to start getting concerned about police misuse of deadly force against Muslims is after a situation where it is not clear that they did not misuse deadly force. :shrug:

e: I appreciate your concern but there's no point worrying about a hypothetical situation in which the context was entirely different, or else you'll find yourself spiralling into a million different possibilities all of which end with the same verdict: :itwaspoo:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

on the other hand, kill the rich, imo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Here's how things are going to play out on Nauru. The prison camps we had the refugees locked up in were abominable. Nonetheless we/the Nauruan government had to make sure they were sheltered, clothed, fed and given water to some degree, however slight. The refugees will now be free. Good for them! They can now live the dream albeit on a tiny island nation with no resources and a GDP per capita of $5,000. There is no employment for them, the local populace hates them and neither the Nauruan nor our government has any duty of care for them. They have no method of leaving Nauru.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Negligent posted:

They are currently allowed to leave during the day, they are now allowed to leave 24 hours a day. The government is not washing it's hands of them

and what happens when they shut down the camp entirely :ssh:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

Also nothing you guys on literal gangs of thugs who are either taxi drivers or friends or "hired goons" beating up drivers in Brisbane? And the taxi vice president saying he understand the anger to justify you know three assaults. Really nothing?
gently caress uber, imo

Ler posted:

#Morgan Poll Federal Primary Votes: L/NP 47 (+1) ALP 27.5 (-2) GRN 14 (+1)

#Morgan Poll Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 56 (+1) ALP 44 (-1)

How long do honey-moon polls generally last?
As things are going now there is nothing stopping the Eternal Turnbull Prime-Ministership. He's charismatic, he projects a good image to the electorate, he knows what the public "wants" and how to play them. There's three things that I see which could throw spanners in the works for him: a) the LNP right wing could start undermining Turnbull, but if it's going to, why hasn't is started yet? strike while the iron is hot - unlikely imo. b) the ALP actually grows a spine, deactivates Shortenbot and puts him back in his cupboard and elects as leader someone who can string more than three words together without sounding like a wet piece of cardboard. lmao unlikely. c) the economy falls apart or something. ????? no idea.

Basically unless the status quo changes dramatically, Turnbull's gonna coast to an easy victory at the next election because there will be no alternative to him. The swing voters will vote for him because he's such a well-spoken man and he knows what's best and he was a businessman, you know! and the LNP base will vote for him because who else are they going to vote for? and the ALP base will vote for Shortenbot and pretend it's a close race but c'mon, and we're going to vote for the Greens as in our minds we contemplate how it's all fukt, and ScreamingLlama writes DEMOCRATS in the boxes then goes home and touches himself as he watches videos of ponies whispering.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

Please explain "gently caress uber" as extending to beating up the workers without being a hypocrite regarding the working class and workers v the executive :allears:

i'll wait

let me elaborate on my white noise shitposting like so;

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Negligent posted:

'gently caress tha police' is a legit political aim

david cameron joke

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

Is the true meaning a million miles from what I just said?

"God is great".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

speaking of things noone reads, is that official Labor cheerleading news site or whatever the hell they branded themselves as still running?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ALIEN DIETY

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

All you need to know is ISDS with America is the doomsday scenario of capitalism, and that might be comin' in secret

The cyberpunk dystopia is now.and we don't even get any cool cybergear.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Maybe you should have backed Oculus Rift on kickstarter then

it's not cyberpunk until it jacks directly into my brain and/or eyeballs.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Malcolm Turnbull’s dispatch of Tony Abbott from the prime ministership settled a score that had been festering from the moment Abbott became opposition leader. They are very different people.

Unlike conservative Abbott, Turnbull appeals to the fashionable Left. He is a postmodern kind of guy, more at home in inner-city cafes than in budgie smugglers and firefighting uniforms.

In no time, Turnbull has signalled his soft liberal credentials. Tax increases for the rich are back on the table. The Renewable Energy Finance Corporation has been given an immediate reprieve with a new board and new ideas for wasting money.

Climate change policies are ­receiving fresh attention. The ­Bureau of Meteorology has been freed of accountability and can now peddle its dubious data without scrutiny.

University spending cuts have been deferred and fees have ­escaped competitive tension. Industrial relations reform will be, at best, marginal. Turnbull will take a softer line with the Islamic community and intends to pursue a UN Human Rights Council membership from 2018. Another tilt at the UN Security Council is a 2030 ambition.

The republican movement can expect royal treatment and, ­subject to a pesky public vote, same-sex marriages seem likely to be fast-tracked.

What’s not to like?

I adore when dipshits do laundry lists of things they smugly assume readers will react 'wow that's bad!' to, without realising that the majority of the population sees each point as a positive. I may be an extreme lefty but at least I recognise some of my political positions are fringe. How do people let themselves get caught up in their own smug bullshit like this?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Why is it only a seven day economy for the poorest members of society and nobody else? hmmery. a mystery indeed.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Amethyst posted:

On the other hand, the public won't vote for this will they? Right?

"Well I'm not so sure about cutting penalty rates, but Malcolm knows what he's about, and he sounds so confident when he says they're bad for the economy. He's made quite a bit of money, you know! How could he be wrong? He must be right."

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

please source your BackBurner quotes, they're nice people and could use the clicks.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:negative:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Two days earlier, the boy's older brother and one of the brother's friends, both former Arthur Phillip students, were targeted in pre-dawn anti-terrorism raids across Sydney.
well golly gee what possibly could have caused this boy to become radicalised, who knows

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

It's becoming clearer its the same people, its a small group interconnected, as the same names appear it can be clearer this is the lunatic fringe. These are the dangerous ones and should be treated as such and being contained will render this the same as other off shoot cults and can be alienated from the mainstrram rather than the media comcluding they have any bearing on Islam.

Ah okay so we just round up this small group of people and the problem's solved, we don't need to change anything else like our attitudes towards asylum seekers or our military action in the Middle East, there won't be any more radicalisation? Well that's good to know, thanks for solving the problem.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

freebooter posted:

So apparently a huge majority of people support penalty rates, including coalition voters, which is reassuring:

http://www.essentialvision.com.au/penalty-rates-2

What happens when you start narrowing things down though? Do you think hospitality staff who are required to work on sunday should receive saturday penalty rates rather than their current, slightly higher sunday rates? would get a different response, I'm sure.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Execu-speak posted:

So our intelligence agencies doing their job by trying to identify and nip radicalisation in the bud are to blame.

I guess they should just quit then and let it all slide eh?

Just to make sure, when you say 'doing their job', you mean conducting dawn raids with heavily armed police officers against 25 homes, leading to 15 people being detained, a whole 2 people charged, with an earth-shattering ~1~ of those charges being terrorism-related, correct?

I feel like a better ratio of homes targeted to potential terrorists identified would be desirable, to be honest. Maybe if you're not confident that you can get more than a single suspected terrorist from a counter-terrorism operation involving more than 800 police officers on the ground, you need to reevaluate whether the operation is worth it. :shrug:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Execu-speak posted:

The kind of work they're doing isn't ever going to yield a perfect strike rate. Intelligence agencies work off of limited information and then make the best judgement they can based upon it. We don't live in a perfect world where it's as simple as, "Theres the bad guys, let's get em". To expect that is just unrealistic.

If that's means sometimes a large operation is run with a small return then so what? If that's one or two people off the street who posed a genuine threat of doing something horrible then to me it's worth it.

You're happy to criticise the counter terrorism work our agencies are doing now. But I bet if something major happened you'd be the first to jump up and down screaming about them not doing enough.

You don't understand. They caught one (possible) terrorist. They planted the seeds of fear and distrust of the police in 23 innocent people as well as their immediate friends and family. In the majority of cases those seeds will bear no fruit, but if even one of the people targeted by the police grew to detest them and became radicalised, the entire raid was a zero sum game. If two people become radicalised as a result of the raid, our counter-terrorism work has actually made the situation worse.

You accuse me of unrealistic thinking but you're missing the point entirely. When you mount an 800 man raid and end up with 1 suspect to show for it and call that a great victory, what kind of message does that send to the Muslim community? What does it say to members of our society who are already marginalised, who are taunted with racist slogans daily, who see their innocent brothers and sisters in faith murdered in conflicts overseas as collateral damage courtesy of Western bombers?

I'm not saying 'oh it's all the bastard cops fault'. The world is complicated. But to claim that the ridiculous show of force Tony staged in September last year does not have at least some part to play in all this is wishful thinking.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

dont u guys sometimes think that love is the end of all things.

namaste.

actually it's death.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

every monday morning must be ruined to provide incentive for the glorious revolution which is soon at hand, comrades

:bsdsnype:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Australia secretly flies pregnant refugee out of country before hearing
Government uses chartered flight to get Somalian woman, who asked for an abortion after being raped, out of Australia as an injunction application is made

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/16/australia-secretly-flies-pregnant-asylum-seeker-back-to-nauru-before-hearing

quote:

The Nazis did terrible evil but they had a sufficient sense of shame to try to hide it. These people boast about their evil, this is the extraordinary thing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

please do not do a weed, it will only radicalise you even more.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

in our country I can call you a racist and you have to prove me wrong or pay the wrongthink fine and wear a dunce cap.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I dream of the day the government issues an Apology to Andew Bolt....... I just hope it happens in his lifetime

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

very, uh [checks notes] very carefully

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There are legitimate concerns to be raised regarding universities putting pressure on staff to treat international students with a light touch when it comes to plagiarism/assessment quality so they keep getting those sweet overseas fees but as observed it's quite difficult to separate said concerns from "those fokkin orientals don't know nuffing about good learnin!!!".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

Hooman is right, this isn't an issue with international students, it's an issue with lovely students and there are multiple ways of ensuring lovely students are either prepared for the workload and expectations, or quite rightly flunked when they don't perform.
The problem is that from a purely profit-seeking perspective (which is, at the end of the day, the only perspective that matters) there are disproportionate consequences to coming down hard on lovely students depending on whether they're domestic or international. Failing a domestic student and potentially kicking them out of the University altogether doesn't mean poo poo, but if they're an International student you've just denied the beancounters a quite substantial source of income depending on the student's degree/year, as well as sent the message to overseas parents looking to send their children overseas to study that So-And-So University doesn't gently caress around if an international student messes up, why not send them to a university that will just give International students a free pass instead?

None of this is the international students' fault; if they were domestic students doing poorly/plagiarising, nobody would give a poo poo, it would just be part of your everyday routine where the bottom n% of whatever you're engaged with are useless idiots, it's just that in this case the focal point of the problem is drat FOREIGNERS so it gets the attentions of Convicted Racists like Bolt. It's the fault of conflicting priorities in higher education; on the one hand, universities claim to be institutions of learning where rigour and ethics in scholarship are paramount, on the other hand $$$. The only way this problem could be solved is by removing one of the two priorities but well good luck with that one.

Les Affaires posted:

Which highlights an interesting paradox: send your kid overseas to a high quality university that does not act like a daycare, but then demand they pass regardless of effort or merit because of the money you've spent.
Well yeah, it's not your child's fault because your child is perfect and pure in every way, and clearly it's not your money's fault because you're shovelling money overseas as fast as you're able, so it must be the institution's fault. This is perfectly logical provided that the first statement is categorically true. it may not be true in all cases

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Well then what do you think is the cause of the problem, if not "tories did their usual fuckery, Universities in need of funding, international students best source of said funding, thus it is in a university's best interests to bend as many rules as possible to pass as many international students as possible"? Do you think there's some innate property to international students that makes them more likely to be drat shiftless leaners?

The reason it seems like International students are lazy and cheat more often than Domestic students is because Domestic students are better at getting away with it. Domestic students have (in most cases) gone through the entire Australian Primary and Secondary education systems which have made them extremely skilled at, for example, rewriting a wikipedia article such that it doesn't appear to be directly plagiarised, then sprinkling non-wiki sources throughout so it seems like you actually did proper research rather than half-assing it. Uni can be hard enough even with those sorts of survival skills that let you cobble together a bullshit essay the night beforehand for a passable mark, let alone without them while learning in a non-native language in a perhaps unfamiliar cultural environment. It's not that Australian students are in any way better scholars, it's just that they're better at covering their tracks when they had to get their hands dirty to garble my metaphors.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 19, 2015

• Locked thread