Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

BBJoey posted:

I adore when dipshits do laundry lists of things they smugly assume readers will react 'wow that's bad!' to, without realising that the majority of the population sees each point as a positive. I may be an extreme lefty but at least I recognise some of my political positions are fringe. How do people let themselves get caught up in their own smug bullshit like this?

Isn't the point that it is horrible, but still sounds appealing to people outside of the fringe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Lid posted:

Among the items seized from his family home last year was a sword, which Mr Dirani said was a common house decoration made from plastic. The Australian Federal Police have refuted that, saying it was a legitimate weapon.

If they're only saying it's a legitimate weapon, how have the police refuted that it was just plastic? Surely that's just contesting.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Zenithe posted:

This gem was from the UPFs page.

Couple of pages back now, but I just noticed one of these taped to a lightpole near the uni. In the middle of a roundabout. Who the gently caress do they think is going to read that? I wouldn't have even known what it was if it weren't for this picture. It's torn in two now though. It's gladdening to know that some fascist has probably lost his job at officeworks for using the printer for personal use, or has wasted hundreds of dollars in coloured ink on posters no one is going to read.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Vladimir Poutine posted:

*barring our homegrown racism of course**

**Technically also imported.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Actually cats are the ideologically correct pet. gently caress you all.

Ernest Hemingway posted:

No animal has more liberty than the cat, but it buries the mess it makes. The cat is the best anarchist.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The whole "Political Correctness Gone Mad!" thing has been pretty big in Australia for a couple of decades. He might have picked up the Frankfurt school conspiracy from somewhere?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
So Dutton's defence of the situation just came out.

ABC posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-19/peter-dutton-says-somali-woman-did-not-want-abortion-australia/6864668
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton says an asylum seeker who says she was raped on Nauru was flown back to the island because she told medical staff she did not want an abortion in Australia.

The 23-year-old woman's lawyer, George Newhouse, said she did not change her mind about the abortion, but was not given counselling.

Mr Dutton said interpreters helped medical staff communicate with the woman during most consultations and her decision was clear.

"We provided a charter flight for this lady to come to Australia, she received medical assistance and made a decision that she didn't wish to go ahead with the procedure," he told Radio National.

"I'm very, very concerned about the privacy of this lady, but I'm dragged into this debate to clear up what I think is a political motivation by some of the advocates."

The Somali woman, known as Abyan, was flown back to immigration detention on Friday.

Mr Newhouse said abortions were illegal on Nauru and his client would now be forced to have the baby, unless she was brought back to Australia.

"When you ask her what her future is, it's really a matter for the Prime Minister," he said.

"The decision is with the Government."

Mr Newhouse said he had not made any moves to apply for Abyan's permanent stay in Australia.

"We had no instruction to keep her in Australia under a migration scam," he said.

"When we heard an hour before she was being removed from the country without treatment that that was going to happen, of course we tried to stop her going back without treatment.

"But, that was a temporary injunction."

Mr Newhouse said he would be having further legal discussions regarding his client's future today.

Lefty Lawyers wage lawfare again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
They didn't even have the wit to white-out the 'for' in the slogan to make it a statement about the erosion of cultural values.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

The MP is planning to introduce a private member's bill to parliament that says women who are more than 20 weeks' pregnant can only have an abortion

Wait what?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hooman posted:

That's one there. I'll have a look to see if I can see any of the evidence of increased non head injury crashed associated with helmets. I have see some studies about headgear in rugby which has a correlated an injury rate with wearing headgear/pads, but I don't know about bicycles.

Was this the paper you were thinking of?
http://www.cycle-helmets.com/robinson-head-injuries.pdf

The author of it was in the comments of that story you linked, they're a a pretty interesting read too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Kommando posted:

According to the ANU's analysis the class group you most closely match is: Established working

Estimate of population percentage:24%

Established working class Australians are the oldest group, with an average age of 66 years. They have the lowest participation in both highbrow and emerging cultural activities, the lowest social contact score and the lowest occupational prestige among their contacts.
:suicide101: :hf: :emo:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Isn't it worse if the boats have stopped though? Or at least just as bad? The vast majority of refugees are found to be genuine, so the deaths at sea (which we know at time have been caused by political pressure not to rescue) have to be weighed against people being tortured or killed if they're unable to leave their country of origin. Or is Negligient just the type of fuckwit who thinks they should not jump a queue or should apply for asylum in countries that don't recognise the refugee convention?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about, deaths at sea are caused by people smugglers overloading unseaworthy vessels, not "political pressure".

Are you forgetting the Navy personnel who said they were told to wait before going to respond to a distress signal?

quote:

Fiona said she was also aware of the level of indirect political pressure applied to border protection operations.

She said the captains of naval ships were told not to board asylum seeker vessels until they were in Australian waters, and the crews and passengers were then subject to Australian migration law.

She claims that on at least one occasion, an asylum seeker vessel sank as a result.

"In the incident that I've described where the boat overturned and people died, that pressure came from Canberra," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-02/navy-personnel-open-up-about-border-protection/5933260

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 29, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

Yes, the real reason people drowned is definitely that the navy, buckling under political pressure, decided not to rescue people, and not, for example, those people paying money to people smugglers who sail across the open ocean in an overloaded, unseaworthy boat.

It's definitely the rescuers fault, and not the person who put themselves in a position to require rescue. That person is utterly blameless in their own demise.

If someone's been pushed into a pool and is drowning right in front of you and you have the ability to save them, but don't, both you and the person who pushed them carry the blame. It doesn't matter if you only didn't save them, because you wanted their death to act as a deterrent to other people by the pool.

Like realistically, what is your ideal solution for these asylum seekers?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 29, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

Your analogy is poo poo since people actually voluntarily pay money to get on a boat

So they pay for access to the pool and then get scammed and drowned. While you still don't rescue them. More accurate?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

If I ride a bike through a red light get struck by a car and die of head injuries (I wasnt wearing a helmet) it is the fault of

1. Passersby who didn't call 000
2. Ambulance officers for not responding fast enough
3. Driver of the car
4. Person who designed the intersection
5. Manufacturer of the bike
6. Government for failing to educate me on the risks of cycling

7. The person who told the ambulance to wait so as to provide a message to other cyclists to wear a helmet.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Seagull posted:

have considered that maybe actually torture of the children is good?

e: as hell???

Oh, so you don't care about adults being tortured? :smug:

I guess you were the real torture apologist all along.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Fiona: Captain we've just received a distress signal!
Captain: Is it in Australian waters?
Fiona: No?
Captain: Well then we wait until it is.

I can't imagine how someone might think an order that didn't directly name a politician could be construed as being for purely political reasons.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Well done. I was definitely saying that was a thing that happened and not using a scenario for illustrative purposes to show how you don't need to hear a phone conversation between Canberra and the Captain to understand something is political. I am undone.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Seagull posted:

it was shocking to learn that the only thing that's literally infinite in our universe was refugees but my guess of dark matter was close imo

No, you're being deliberately obtuse, what he means is that if you were to remove limits on the number of asylum seekers being processed you would have...potentially un-limited refugees? :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Seagull posted:

i'm glad that together we've managed to reach the conclusion that australia, actually, is bad

Not bad enough to stop the boats completely though. Maybe we should start random shellings?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Left-most root is totally Falcor.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I wish I were an accelerationist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

The arguments against the innovation are not especially novel.
Dominating these reasons is the claim that the eighteen-year-olds are
simply not mature enough—they have not had time to form mature
political judgments, they may have facts but not perspectives, or they
are simply not "old" enough. Other explanations are more detailed
though less frequent. Some teachers claim that eighteen-year-olds are
too easily influenced by others to cast an independent vote. Another
argument is that they do not have enough information and experience,
while still others say they are not responsible enough at this age.
Finally, it is held by a few that young adults are not interested in voting,
that they would not vote even if they did have the franchise

• Locked thread