Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Unimpressed posted:

Only the stuff with codeine in it, there's plenty of effective medicine without codeine you could take. I personally think it should all be prescription only, it's the big supermarkets and the Chemists guild that are preventing that from happening. Paracetamol overdose is a lot more common than people think. Liver transplant anyone?

Also, the dose of codeine in those is sub therapeutic and can really only make you constipated. As you said, addiction to codeine leads to a lot of paracetamol overdose. Finally, gently caress the pharmacy guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
No, that submission has been in the works since long before those footy players.

People who overdose on paracetamol who aren't trying to suicide aren't fuckwits, they're people who are in pain and don't pay the attention they should. You can't go telling everyone how easy it is to kill yourself with paracetamol as that would make the youth suicide much worse.

If paracetamol were discovered today instead of long ago, it would not be available in supermarkets. It's an historical accident. There's a reason it's the most closely monitored pain medication in hospital wards even when you're on good stuff like morphine.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Laserface posted:

Im pretty certain the only reason Codeine is sold with paracetamol/Ibuprofen is because Codeine is way better for you and does a better job (while also being addictive if abused) so they put it with something else that might kill you if you have too much of it to try and prevent people doing so.

and look how that worked out.

The dose of codeine is sub therapeutic for pain relief, but high enough for constipation. I can't believe the paracetamol and ibuprofen would be put there as a deterrent, it's unethical as poo poo, liver and kidney failure is rather extreme. More likely they made a bad call in permitting this formulation, and we now know better.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Unimpressed posted:

The dosing has a big safety margin built into it. Last time we went overseas, we were in Spain and bought some generic Ibuprofen. It came as single 600mg pills which is 1.5 times the recommended 2x200mg dose we have here. I asked my wife (she's the one who actually knows what I'm writing about) and she said it was perfectly safe. Also, most medication is given using ml/kg in a hospital setting but it's deemed too hard for the general population. There's no choice but to do it with babies since there's such a huge variance in weights (i.e. a 90kg person weighs only about 30% more than a 70kg person, but a 10kg baby is twice the weight of a 5kg one and that difference can happen in a few months not to mention it's a baby. Fact is that even with those safety margins, paracetamol overdoses are common and in many cases life threatening.
Ha, I'm in the same boat in that it's my partner who is the pharmacist, but I'm in a situation where I'm around research pharmacists all day, so I pick up a lot. The above is what I would have said, but I'd add that it's much easier to overdose and injure yourself with paracetemol than it is ibuprofen. At least in one pattern of overdose - it's a complex thing. I think/guess the calibration of doses for ibuprofen in this case is probably because people had the prior knowledge that "you take two painkiller pills" from previously available medications and so they aped that to hopefully reduce the incidence of therapeutic errors.

Inge posted:

Yeah I totally get that, and maybe I'm putting too much faith in the basic arithmetic skills of Australians.

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many people poison their children when they have to measure stuff for the child's weight. I doesn't seem to always be poor arithmetic skills, sometimes it's confusing measuring instruments. I'm shocked at how many syringes simply have unit-less numbers as their measure, and the "full" volume of the syringe written somewhere else on it. For instance, I've seen 3mL synringes with markings which are simply integers from 1 to 10. My scientific training makes me think that the markings are tenths of 3mL (a stupid interval) but the public will look at it and see intervals of 1mL - which is exactly in line with their prior experience. Stuff like that is why what is called 'pharmacy practice' is so important, because all the science in the world is useless if people can't use it. It's unfortunate that so many researchers look down on it, because it can have such a large impact on quality of care.

Also, I hope everyone keeps in mind that pharmacists are the people who prevent doctors from killing you with drugs. Pharmacists learn for years what doctors spend a semester on, so they're absolutely essential. All moves to turn pharmacies into shopping markets must be resisted - Chemists Warehouse is the one of the worst things to happen to the industry in recent times. When a pharmacist has to process a script every 20 seconds they won't be able to provide the counseling that is needed.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Don Dongington posted:

Oh god. Australians doing this would result in hundreds of yearly fatalities...

It already does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Negligent posted:

Every government that has attempted to go against the grain of the Australian public's xenophobia has paid for it politically.

Kevin Rudd shut down offshore processing and look where it got him, a speedy uturn to 'if you come by boat you won't settle in Australia' wasnt enough to save him even though in hindsight that's what stopped the boats

There's no proof the boats stopped, influx. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

• Locked thread