Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

W, OOO, and Fourze will always have the loose thread that is Foundation X hanging over their heads because Toei dropped the metaplot entirely. :argh:

Eh, I think it works in W's case because Foundation X are basically an ongoing villain organization but W's plot ends with the clear idea that Kamen Rider will always stand against them.

(I also think W's ending is extremely good, even if the ending of the second-to-last episode is also extremely good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Start with Zyuranger and then move on through the 90s.

90s Sentai best Sentai.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Zyuranger is actually bad though, unless you really like child actors.

Nah. It's both strong from a thematic perspective and really fun to watch, plus it goes on the road to shows like Kaku, Mega and Car which are all excellent. (I'm not that big on Dai but some people are.) Even Ohranger owns for about 7 episodes before Terrorism happened. You can also step back towards Jetman if you're willing to get some terminal doses of Inoue.

The 90s era of Sentai was almost pure gold. I haven't seen GoGoFive and Fiveman was kinda blah but the rest are kind of great.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All Gold Rangers are the best.

Magishine, Go-On Gold, Genta, Jin and Utchy All top tier.

Sorry, but they are only the #2 metal-themed sixth rangers in Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wizard was good when it was over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not gonna lie. I actually really like the idea of Intergalactic Evil Monster Show. The ninja stuff is hilariously out of tone with the rest of the pitch though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh! When did we get webm support?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dora Franken owns because of what happens with him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yesssss! Any word of a release date? I hope these are selling well enough that we can accelerate past one per year soon.

Just "2016"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rider HUGE. Rider smash puny Shocker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

I am A OK with how bulky that suit is.

Hongo has been a Rider for 45 goddamn years. That makes total sense especially in a Dark Knight Returns kind of way.

Can't wait for this. First Rider movie where the Riders aren't fighting each other in far too long!

They're gonna fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

What's the best Ultraman series on CrunchyRoll right now, since they've been adding so much?

Nexus

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post I guess?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EDit: Three times? What the gently caress SA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meteor has two major problems.

His arc takes for-loving-ever and it eats the show while it is going on. Just a small eternity of him being a secret poo poo and the show focusing on it instead of anything else. The other is that he really is a light rehash of Accel but executed more poorly, right down to his secret mentor actually being one of the villains seeking to drive the heroes to embrace the dark side in order to defeat the unstoppable chairman.

Oh, wait, and his upgrade is absolutely hideous so that's three problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the idea that any show that stars goddamn Shotaro could be self-important.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I didn't really like what Yuki devolved into myself, but the rest were alright.

Yeah, they hosed up Yuki bad.

She made a lot of sense as "the character who really legitimately loves space but has a dorky way of showing it" until the lovely astronaut episode where they revealed she is actually a loving moron. Despite the fact that episode would have made a lot more sense otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is Ginga bad?

Is it Gingaman bad?

Gingaman isn't bad so :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They'll adapt it as Power Rangers Zootopia Force.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

oh my god yes yes yes yes yes yes yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Is that second one supposed to be his kid? That'd be amazing!

gently caress yes! I miss his scarf and wish they went more organic with his design, but at least he still has the jaw piece on his helmet

This is so good! Amazon is one of the best Showa Riders

Apparently one is a Domestic Amazon and the other is a Wild Amazon (i.e: nice guy and rear end in a top hat.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Fuuto could have really used a G.M.A.R.E. program. Or would that have made people more likely to use Gaia Memories?

They had one, it was called Kamen Rider.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. So that's Power Rangers Reboot Rita Repulsa. People are theorizing she's the "green ranger' thus the look.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She gets better later on and fortunately never gets in the way of Shotaro and Philip kissing. I mean solving crimes.

I mean kissing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They look more like Kamen Riders to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

I'm just going to point this out:

Our heroines have platform heels and molded boob armor on their martial arts "super" suits.

To be fair they did that the last time they tried this too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Other shows have individual strong things but what I think makes W work is that everything is competent and coherent.

A big thing for me in W that no other show has hit is that the powers *make sense.* He has a lot of forms but they're all based off a combination of two different powers, plus Fang which has a distinct use of its own (Philip can henshin instead of Shotaro.) And the show is smart about using those powers and so when the character swaps between abilities it makes sense.

Every show since has felt like they just tacked on power after power after power and rather than a sensible arsenal they just had a giant collection of poo poo and randomly used it whenever.

W has good villains, good heroes, a sensible and coherent plot, good use of its Rider gimmicks and powers, strong fights, mostly does a good job with CGI, has a secondary Rider who fits well in the show and is useful and well-implemented without being poo poo on and in general is just smart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

W is good and every rider thing is improved by its (non-soulless background suit) presence

The scene with Shotaro meeting Gentaro in the movie is the best part of that entire thing despite being like a two minute part of the whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryusei is just too Accel, right down tor repeating some of his plot points beat-for-beat, but is just more poorly executed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

and how long ago was that

(nobody gives a poo poo about blue beetle in 2016)

Well, uh, there's a brand new Blue Beetle comic coming out so apparently someone cares enough for DC to publish and promote it.

Also because Blue Beetle owns.

Edit: Also "nobody cares about (niche superhero) in 2016" is kinda silly in a world where loving Ant-Man made millions of dollars at the box office and Big Hero 6 was a large hit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

dc puts out a lot of dumb bullshit. they put out batwing a few years ago. remember batwing? it sucked. it was literally a brand new character that had appeared maybe once before, if that, and i'm pretty sure it was actually brand spanking new as of Batwing #1 by Judd "Everyone Has AIDS" Winnick. i don't know why they do things, but they do. it's pretty much always stupid as gently caress in the last five years, too.

also, as before, lmao if you think ant-man would have been nearly as successful without being tied to the Marvel Cinematic Universe

I like how you just glossed over Big Hero 6.

You're really stretching for you "nobody cares about this character" thing, especially when said character is pretty relevant in a lot of ways in some form or another. (If just, at bare minimum, because Nite Owl was inspired by Blue Beetle and Watchmen is a pretty relevant comic.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 28, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carranger is perhaps the best sentai. It's so goddamn good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Friendship; is a very subtle theme in Fourze. It may take you a bit to notice it but it's there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with bad subs is that unless you have knowledge of them the end result is that you're getting wrong characterization and information which can significantly impact how you view a show. Not even OT or whatnot are immune to this because translation a show as it airs means you can miss hints or context you wouldn't necessarily notice but with TVN if it 'looks' right people will take it right even if it literally gets plot info wrong. That is a reason why it is worse than nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Getting a slightly off version of a show is better than nothing. My personal peeve as far as them "changing stuff" was that adding visual gimmicks to the role-calls and attacks names changed the meaning of them, pumping up fights that were often times just quickie filler and meant to be viewed as such by the audiance. Still better than still waiting on something which I decided to watch years ago to be subbed.

It isn't a case of 'slightly off.' They've actively reversed character motivations or ignored very important things. It is, in fact, worse than nothing unless you care more about it sounding right than being right.

Like from your description you literally don't care about the show, just that whatever text is below is close enough to readable and sounds right even if it is objectively wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

I want something to watch on TV, see what the characters are saying, and have it actually make sense.

So yes. You don't actually care if what the characters are saying is right, just that it 'makes sense' to you.

I mean that's your choice but it means you're being upfront about the fact you don't care about characterization, writing or plot, just that dialogue looks right to you. Most people are probably not going to feel that way and that is why it is recommended they avoid TVN.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 7, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So he... begins as a tiny SD dude and powers up? Does a guy henshin into an SD guy or is this like an SD Gundam thing where the main protagonist is always a Kamen Rider?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if this will be a "people desperately unfamiliar with games try to write about games" show or a "people actually aware of games make a self-aware thing" show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there a nostalgic boom for retro games among kids in Japan or something these days? It feels weird as hell to go "hm, yes, let's make SNES Rider"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I could not disagree more. The Burai plot is several thousand times better than the Tommy plot and I say this as someone with a ton of nostalgia for MMPR who first saw Zyuranger recently. Zyuranger is better in almost every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

I wish more toku series would be willing to do just loving insane things like having a massive marriage ceremony that has all of the old monsters show up or have a hero get randomly thrown back in time and meet wild west counterparts of themselves.

Those both sounds like things that happen pretty regularly in super sentai to be honest. Like Jetman has a plot where Yellow Owl goes back to caveman times and multiple shows have Monster Weddings.

• Locked thread