Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Motto posted:

Nah, the problem for me is in the execution, not the concept. OOO, Fourze, and Drive have similar opening episodes, but theirs were entertaining because they presented their premises and setting in an interesting way, introduced characters that were entertaining to watch, and had exciting fights, even if they mostly relied on blowing a bunch of CG money to accomplish that.

Also everything about the show felt really amateurish. The sound mixing alone was loving hilarious. Everything was either too loud or too quiet and then they even hosed up overlaying the OP in the big fight and made it quieter than weapon effects by a huge margin.

The best moment of the show was listening to an old man you couldn't see because of the sun trying to say important things but they didn't dub it so they used whatever poo poo they got from their on set mics which was super quiet and not great quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zero_Tactility posted:

Aaaaand finished.

That's a drat good show. I know that it was a NICE DRIVE because I couldn't stop smiling during the final scenes and credits of episode 47. (48 didn't really sell me on Ghost, though)

I loved Gou's "It said 'go for it', didn't it?" line.

Also, Brain's actor was good throughout, but I thought he really stepped it up in that last arc:

The whole Mach-Chaser vs Gold Drive fight was honestly some of my favorite Kamen Rider stuff.

They let the secondary riders kill the main antagonist!

It also helped that Drive had 3 tragic villains who were all kind of fun and likable in their own way to play off the fact that Banno was basically the worst guy ever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

All Gold Rangers are the best.

Magishine, Go-On Gold, Genta, Jin and Utchy All top tier.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

You sure it doesn't feel more to you like a post-Decade Rider? Because, well, take a look at these credits.

Well I mean I like it so it's clearly more like the old things I like and not like the new things I hate.

Speaking of Pre-Den O poo poo, I watched Ryuki recently and boy that show is a roller-coaster when it comes to quality. When it's good it's great but boy when it's not it's some really poorly made, poorly shot poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm just poking fun at you because like 90% of the time you talk about how good something is you qualify it by comparing it to the older stuff that you have a very obvious love that you gravitate to.

To be more serious, Nexus feels more like the newer Garo shows or the more serious moments in Gaim or Drive. There's a lot more clarity, for lack of a better word, with how the story and characters unfold and express themselves than something like Ryuki or Faiz, which plays characters and story beats really weirdly close to their chest.

I'm expressing this thought pretty badly, but I guess it just feels a bit more purposeful than early Heisei era Rider's which felt very amateurish, like they were feeling out what they wanted to do when it came to story/script and their overall production.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

The time where we get our first blurry look at the new Sentai!

Is that Duel Disk?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is also the first time a Green, and White have been on the same team (not counting JAKQ because Big One is not at all a traditional White Ranger.) This after Ninninger was the first team to have Pink and White.

Jetman?

EDIT: NO I'm just an idiot apparently.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ghost Furrynger, please be good. :ohdear:

Furry Ranger will be amazing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fourze's final form also has one of the best form songs/inserts songs in the franchise. Excluding OOO of course because all of OOO's music is THE PINNACLE.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm really liking that Ghost added a monster man to the normal crew/idiot squad. Just a dopey painter trying to live life.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

gently caress everything gently caress Everything gently caress EVERYTHING

God drat It To Hell

I know, right? Finally something good to come from that ip.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

It's gratuitous explosion time for Ghost. Also a farewell to Cubi.

Can't wait for Cubi and Maestro to show up with a squad of friendly Ganma to save the day later.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

those look better than trying to replicate a design from 1994 tbh

That's wrong though? Like Toei's shown you can do really cool modernization of old goofy outfits and still have them look good and similar to the original design.

V3 to V3 The Next is a much better version of what these designs are trying to do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

Man, gently caress Shroud. She's like one of those moms who are all "no, you're not good enough for my son, he has to date the person I picked out for him". Except gayer, so I guess that's no so bad. If she's not even gonna explain what her deal is, Phillip shouldn't be listening to her so much.

Everyone throws Shotaro under the bus way too quick though. Like goddamn Phillip, he's supposes to be your boyfriend and you left him to walk in the rain all angsty like because he wasn't performing well. I get you might wanna be a Double team with someone as "cool" as Terui, but c'mon dude. This isn't an open relationship. But they had an Xtreme consummation, so whatever.

Though I loving love that Phillip sees Shhotaro and goes "oh poo poo that's his reckless face, he's gonna do something dumb". You gay nerds.

The best thing is Phillip is basically "Hey Terui, wanna be my new boyfriend?" and even tone-deaf Terui just says "Don't ask me such stupid questions."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FortMax posted:

In what way is Heaven's Tornado not perfect?

In every way possible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I'm slamming the breaks on this bit and putting all of you through the proverbial windshield.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dexie posted:

You mean Go-Busters, where they went out of their way to make the mecha actually important to the series and not just something that shows up for two minutes at the end of every episode?

Also spending a lot of stuff to have simultaneous Giant robot and on the ground fights and do a lot unique camera work and shots just for the robot, like the buzzsaw zord cutting a big hole in the Ace's cockpit and the sun light streaming in.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dexie posted:

It was the first Sentai to use outside sets for the robot fights too, wasn't it?

And the big combination form had big plot importance outside of just being a bit power up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

There's a difference between Kabuto and Den-O, though. Just because it's a kid's show doesn't mean there has to be goofy puppets with funny voices

Yeah Den-O is a lot more serious then ULTIMATE MAKE UP HOPPER BROTHERS FOOD WARS: FEAT. GRANDMA SAID poo poo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

And just because a series has some goofy moments doesn't mean it can't be serious at times too, like Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Buster, Double, Fourze, etc.

Or for that Matter, Drive itself has some of the ebst written villains the franchise has had in awhile, who's death scenes actaully made you feel bad for them, even if they were the antagonists.

Except Banno. gently caress that guy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

it was mainline marvel. he made him a suit during civil war

also spider-man's eyes moving is because that's how they work in the comics, they're not actually mechanical. its a conceit to the fact that he's wearing a full face mask which makes it hard to convey emotion unless you kinda just go "ehhhh his eyes change shape"

Except they're entirely mechanical. They have a whole conversation in that movie about how his enhanced senses gently caress him up so he wears the goggles to help narrow his focus just to justify why Tony build him goofy self narrowing eyelids into his new suit..

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

yeah because eyes moving to convey emotion is the same as fixed goggles doing a

never midn, this is loving retarded, keep jerkin off about how UH NO CLEARLY ITS MECHANICAL

Dude I don't know what to tell you, they have a whole conversation so they can have an in universe reason for why his mask does that. Like there was even a a little mechanical sound to accompany the eyes narrowing.

You're right that they decided to do that because that's a trademark thing Spidey's always had but they go out of there way to explain it being a mechnical part of the suit in setting so it wasn't just some weird cartoon characteristic in this (relatively) realistic world.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not actually defending TVN as much as I am annoyed that you apparently can't even mention some shows without some guy saying "Don't watch that the only subs for it are garbage" often in repeated posts. Straight up directing people to avoid something because you disagree with the sub group just seems like the most classical otaku bullshit ever.

So here's the deal, you might have an argument to stand on if people were saying to avoid shows just because you disagree with a translator's style, but that is not what is happening. TV-N, on top of all the non-translating style, regularly gets translations factually wrong to the point of them typing what is actually the opposite for what the characters are saying and what's happening in the plot or they cannot translate something/don't know what they're doing so they just make up poo poo to put into subs. This is objectively bad poo poo because it actively takes away from the reader's understanding of the show and letting people understand what is being said is the entire point of subtitles in the first place.

They're bad, and get things wrong. In some cases they get enough wrong consistently that whole plot points and character nuances are completely removed from the show and because the viewers probably don't speak the language since they're reading translated subs those viewers will not know that the subs are actually getting things incorrect. That's bad, you're dumb to get mad that people tell others to avoid it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ghost would be so much better if Alain was the main character, seeing as how he's the only actually interesting character out of the three.

Takeru is terrible, Makoto is one-note. Alain is great and deserves all the takoyaki.

Actually the most interesting character is the Monk and Cubi.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

In a word

No

I've seen only the first episode and A Movie he was in and no

Wizard is a seizure he's not a fighter

I also disliked Wizard but Burkion please don't post like a complete moron.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

Look, that first use all the forms with all the toys fight scene of his gave me a headache.

It stuck with me, so I guess it did its job, but not for any good reason

I know but it's just such a dumb argument, especially given how every few episodes of any rider/sentai will have a different director and they're probably also going to get whoever to do the bad cross over movies, to say "I saw two separate instances of this thing so I can safely say it never got good at this thing or did it well!"

That being said, while Wizard did have some okay fight direction here and there it was mostly just really boring CGI stuff like Water form and BIG HAND used in very boring ways.

It's like if every other W fight had REVOLVER GARRY being the thing that won the fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also you're dumb if you don't want to see Captain Marvelous/The Gokaiger crew again. Just plain ol' stupid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The Gokaigers' cameo is actually a preview for the next series, Kaizoku Sentai Super Gokaiger.

Gotta get those Kamen Rider Great Powers. Then in Mega Gokaiger they're hunting for Garo keys.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Raserys posted:

I would watch 5 seasons of gokaiger

You bet your goddamn rear end you would.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

Im furious about the ultraman insult in the op, time for you bugmen and whatnot rangers fans to bow down to the true master and grandaddy of toku!

Gojira?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's funny cause the shittiest riders post Decade share a final form/theme of their own Infinite potential because they're blank slates with no real defining characteristics.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

Unfortunately, Kageyama involvement doesn't necessitate a good series, given he did do the (awesome) vocal tracks for notorious schlock anime OAV M.D. Geist.

Um, I'm not sure how your first thought leads to the latter one.

MD Geist is art.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

gently caress.

GOD drat IT.

WHY

We don't even have Dyna subbed yet!

Why That piece of anime bullshit!

Because Ultraman is old and lame and ugly
Monsters girls are hip and cool and cute.

It's a very simple principle to follow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ultraman could be a really cool and good franchise if it didn't have awful suit design and wasn't mostly mediocre series.

I mean when it works it's pretty good but boy it's got a real low batting average.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

I disagree if the show itself is meant to be a tragedy.

Like, Kamen Rider Black earned its ending when it could focus on the storyline.

I'm glad we agree that Kamen Rider Black earned nothing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

This is unrelated to anything, but I miss your older avatar

I won a contest so I got to get a big avatar and I had lost the original for my old one so I was forced to confront conformity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Movie toys!

Morpher!

They look like lovely knock offs of the OOOs coins.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The good things about the 201X godzilla movie were the 5 minutes an actually good actor was in it and the 1 really big Godzilla roar was so powerful and loud it vibrated my seat in the theater and got me a little excited,

The bad things about the 201X godzilla movie was that the other monster was super loving boring and dumb, the plot was centered around boring White Military Good Guy Shoot Man, the dialogue and secondary cast being what I had to assume stock script parts from some story writing software, and the rewritten Godzilla origin.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 30, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

Okay so I'm going to let the rest of this slide because I acknowledge not everyone is going to get into 2014 Godzilla

But seriously man? This is some Zen Master level bullshit right here. (I'm also not sure why you're doing the 201X thing, since there are only two 201X Godzilla movies so far, and you are very clearly only talking about one of them)

So I wrote 201X because I forgot the exact year the american film came out and because I was on my phone at the time so I couldn't be bothered to google it.

Second my complaint about the new origin poo poo in the 2014 movie wasn't that they made up some new poo poo, I know they've done it a lot before and some of them a way dumber but also cooler than the original. My complaint with it that it's just super dumb in a way I don't find fun or interesting. It's trying its best to sound scientific and sensible with all the talk of ancient Super Fauna but the facts of the films make that really laughable. The two bug monsters lay a hundred eggs. By the second or generation those things would have blotted out the sun, but these things use to freely roam the earth? And I know that sounds like a dumb complaint, but when the movie itself is going out of its way to try and make it sound plausible I, as an audience member, have to think about it and it's just at lot stupider to me personally than just going "Yeah a radioactive test mutated him and he's big." or "Yeah whatever time travel and magic did it."

I'll admit this is probably fueled by the fact that it's a Hollywood movie with English actors and writers so I don't have the buffer of another language or just the age of the film to detract from the stupidity of it, but somewhere between 'Brian Cranston wants answers' and 'White McSoldierman allegedly feels emotions.' the rest of it just kind of lost me.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sucks for the pilot that's an arm.

And the legs. Just gotta look straight up at the monsters dick to try and figure out what's going on.

It's actually somehow dumber than the all in one cockpit.

• Locked thread