Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nagna Zul posted:

As a game developer, seeing someone break one of my games like you're doing right now would be a dream come true.

This is amazing. Keep going.

I like you. Retro Studios responded to game breaking by fixing it in updated releases and it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When I was a child with more time than sense I tested the slash limit of the Razor Sword and I remember it degrading after striking a tree exactly 100 times. I did not test if more powerful attacks (like the jump slash) wear it down faster.

One thing I never cared to try was killing Twinmold without the Giant's Mask because gently caress that.

You finally kill Wesker for good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can you burn gibdos in A Link to the Past with the lantern in some way? I'm 100% certain the fire rod and bombos medallion instantly kills them and does not reveal a skeleton.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Do it. That sounds amazing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ephraim225 posted:

Oh my god they did it with Majora's Mask?!

I tried the Zelda 1 randomizer and it was insane, triforce pieces were in regular kill rooms! This'll be twice as insane I bet.

I enjoy doing co-commentary quite a bit myself, as well, so I'd be interested.

Is there one for Link to the Past? I'd be interested in playing that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What happens if you keep duping bottles beyond six? Will they start to take over the inventory screen like duplicating hearts does?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'll always crack up at the bank teller saying "Ah yes... Obama."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ubiquitous_ posted:

LPs that break games like this fully reinforce the potential of what an LP can be. This was awesome, much like your previous LP.

I've never enjoyed any LP more than I have the game breaking ones. Thanks for this wild ride through Termina, Doc. I'm still going through your OoT run and its pretty good.

I hope I'm not derailing too much here but I want to ask about other LPs like this one. Any recommendations? I've seen FF2 by Gabriel Pope, Link's Awakening by MeccaPrime, and Pokemon Blue by Metroixer and they're all pretty fantastic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

George posted:

The Let's Break FF6 thread was a must-read.

Oh right! I don't think I've seen the whole thing but what I read was great. I'll check it out!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm always a fan of giving videogame heroes boring normal people names, so I vote you call him Larry.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm still maintaining my stance of Larry but MoonMoon would is my second choice if not only to make people say the word "Moon" at least three times in a few dialogues.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nobody wanted my vote of Larry and I like Chad so I'm changing my vote to Chad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is it possible that tree is hard to roll into because there's an NPC in it and his hitbox is at ground level?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A bit off topic, but I gave that Super Metroid randomizer a try. It's alright I guess. The author took a lot of care into making sure the produced ROM is able to be completed which is pretty neat. The problem I have with it is that it really only makes the first few minutes of the game interesting. Before long you end up with everything you need for your current place and then the rest of the game plays as normal.

The first time I tried it with the "Easy" setting I had the Screw Attack, Gravity Suit, Power Bombs, Super Missiles, and Space Jump long before I had the Morph Ball. By the time I picked that up (it was just before Spore Spawn, where the Charge Beam normally is, so very early-game still), I was pretty much good to go to to the end. I'm trying again using the normal skill generator and ended up essentially in the same situation, except without the Gravity Suit, which I currently cannot find. If I'm expect to traverse Maridia without it I might as well give up because gently caress that. :shrug:

One thing though: You either need to know a few fancy speedrunning techniques or know the game completely inside out. I'm in the latter category. Some items deemed "unecessary" by hardcore speedrunners and challenge runners (such as the Hi-Jump Boots and Space Jump) will be found in obscure, fairly well hidden locations you don't ever need to visit in casual play.

I was interested in giving the LttP one a shot until now, but I'll probably end up with the same experience. I'm glad to say that so far your run of the Majora's Mask randomizer is fairly interesting though. It helps that you know how to break the game's back in entertaining ways even if things are going as-designed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you want to get a "fresh" Super Metroid game, then your best bet is probably to try ROM hacks. They aren't going to have the pacing problems that the randomizer can have.

I've tried a good number of them. The problem with them (as with all ROM hacks) is that they are insanely difficult to the point where they are extremely unfun. I've been waiting for an "easy mode" hack of SM Redesign for years now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Unfortunately, Axeil Edition (an edition of Redesign supposed to be easy enough for Axeil, who did the original LP to be able to beat without as much trouble) did finally release but in an ironic twist of fate people seem to find it harder than the original mostly due to some very stubborn decision-making by Drewseph when he revamped Tourian.

I should check this out! Can you elaborate on the bit about stubborn Tourian decisions? How is the Axeil version harder in that case?

FPzero posted:

And yeah, randomizers are fun but one of the problems with almost all of them is that while it's hilarious to get really powerful items early but that means the late game difficulty is totally broken or you're stuck wandering around nearly-maxed out looking for that one item that isn't very useful but is totally required to beat the game that you normally would've gotten a few hours ago.

I can see it working more for the original NES Metroid and Zelda games, as they aren't as linear and the world designs aren't as tailor-made to getting things in a certain order compared to games later in their respective series. Majora's Mask's time shenanigans and pseudo-linearity probably makes it a better candidate for a randomizer than OoT, especially considering it has an entire extra page of items ranging between "broken or otherwise insanely useful" to "literally just cosmetic except for a change it makes to a single dialog option"

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 9, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edward_Tohr posted:

Holy poo poo, I tried this as fcommas and just...

I think MoonMoon was the wrong choice, guys.

Well? Come on. What does it do?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Calling Twilight Princess a "bad game" is kind of unfair. I thought it had among the best dungeons and boss battles in the entire series. The rest of the game is ugly, boring, and lacking in charm at worst.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The dungeons are mostly ehh; the forest/spirit one is bad and the only other one that sticks in memory is the yeti manor which was actually pretty decent. The boss battles are universally awful. Wait for boss to make themselves vulnerable, use dungeon item on boss, stun boss, hit with sword, repeat. It's playing out a glorified quicktime event, with a ton of waiting in between opportunities to actually make progress.

"Wait for boss to be vulnerable" is basically how Zelda bosses have always been since they became 3D. I just thought they were a little more fun in TP. Oh well :shrug:

MagicBoots posted:

Ugly, boring and lacking in charm. But otherwise a good game.

:ssh: I said the non-dungeon parts.

Shame you reset the cycle, Doc. Didn't you miss the chance to get the other scrub title deeds? You were holding one of them when you saved, but I can't remember what item gave it to you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Counterpoint: Majora's Mask. It is amazing how much better the fights are in MM vs. in Ocarina of Time; practically every enemy is either always vulnerable to something or can be baited into making themselves vulnerable.

Haha I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because apart from Goht and Majora they were either irritating (Gyorg) or just outright boring (Odolwa and Twinmold).

DoctorKill posted:

I can't just get more scrub title deeds, I have to wait until I find them. I need to find Swamp and Mountain Title deed, and turn them in to get whatever items I get from Mountain and Ocean scrubs.

:doh: right, of course.

What gave you that deed anyway? I assume you eventually picked up the real item, thus killing your chances of picking it up again? I just vaguely remember one of your guests talking about it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

3 frames at 20fps is not one whole second, it's three twentieths of a second (or 0.15 seconds). 20 frames is one second.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ometeotl posted:

He was exaggerating for comedic effect.

Megaspel posted:

did you know mountains aren't actually as big as mole hills? No one has ever been able to successfully make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Impossible. I will not believe it!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So if you got the Fierce Deity's Mask, is it possible another mask is in its original place thus locking you out of it getting whatever it is?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

He said he didn't need to turn in every mask to get the Fierce Deity Mask, so maybe that's another change in this hack?

Oh whoops, I missed that!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DoctorKill posted:

Not really sure on that one honestly, it's probably a different map that just shares flags since that seems easier to program, but I don't know.

That would be the logical way to do it. When you activate or open a chest, have a flag that makes a dummy chest appear/open on the ceiling of the counterpart map. Very straightforward. It's pretty clearly a different map as enemy and item layouts and other effects (water, skylights, wind, lava, etc) change between the two. What doesn't make any goddamn sense at all is why the "dummy" chests are fully functional and contain the items found in their right-side-up counterparts. That is just really puzzling to me. I don't get it at all :psyduck:

I'm sure some data miner in the game's community knows the answer. I'd be interested to learn it!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They're almost certainly fully-functional (albeit upside-down) chests tied to the same object ID as is in the regular chest.

Oh, yeah that makes way more sense actually. I obviously don't know much about how the game is built :downs:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wow this is pretty cool! I like how even the 2D scenes are included on the list even though there's nothing to see :allears:

Am I misremembering or are some of the textures and colors a little off? The central column interior in the water temple didn't look right, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not sure if you noticed this but after the weird glitch that caused you to warp out of the Majora battle and back to the field on the moon the Fierce Deity's Mask was taken out of your inventory! What happened there?

was it simon's fault?

• Locked thread