Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DoctorKill posted:

In any case, saving at the hidden owl statue has been known about for a while, as well as how it throws you into the Mayor's house. The saving mechanic was an added feature in the English version and probably wasn't tested extensively so there's a lot of weird stuff that happens when you mess with it. I believe the trick behind it is that saving at an invalid statue messes up a particular index of where you should start when you load the game, but I don't know why it would lead to all the effects it does. 0th day is pretty strange and I don't know for sure how much the 'community' knows about it.

Every owl statue must include information about where it is so the game can spawn you in the right place. The "hidden" owl statue doesn't have that information filled out correctly, so you get "random" data instead (not actually random, just not pulled from a valid owl statue data record), which happens to dump you in the mayor's office. That part at least is straightforward. The rest...presumably someone knows what's going on, but I don't.

Frodo lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Good update! I didn't notice anything wrong with your voice, and while the explanations went pretty quickly I was still able to mostly follow what was going on. That bottle duping glitch is pretty :psyduck: though.

I found the hookshot cutscene (before fighting one of the pirates) myself. It's pretty great.

Also, the 3-day challenge LP that ran here a month or two ago showed a neat thing with the New Wave Bossa Nova cutscene -- it's possible (I forget how, exactly) to switch which instrument you can use for it. In particular, you can learn the song with the Deku pipes. Normally the game tries to force you to use the guitar instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

senrath posted:

Spoiler: Kratos is Lloyd's father.

I got the wrong Kratos (but the right Lloyd, somehow) for a second there and was very confused. :psyduck:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That was a good episode. You aren't playing this game properly. This is a good thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

Do they count bomb and bomb bag as two separate items in a low%, then? I can't imagine why you'd use the mask over bombs if they weren't.

I assume it's because the bomb mask is an unlimited quantity of bombs, and you need to do some large hovers in low% which the bomb bag wouldn't give enough explosives to do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So can this randomizer put, say, the bow where you'd normally get the Fierce Deity Mask? :v:

I'd definitely at least check such an LP out. Your production values have been good with your main videos, but streaming (especially if you're going to do live commentary) is a different bag. But hey, if you feel you can do it justice, then go for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Does the MM randomizer work such that without abusing bugs the game is always winnable?

Without abusing bugs is it actually possible to break the main sequence at all? I mean I guess the randomizer could hypothetically put a bunch of key items in place of all the easy-to-get masks (Bremen, Kafei, etc.) to keep you from getting stuck, but Majora's Mask isn't really intended to be a nonlinear game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Notice also how some of them are drawn at a different scale from the others. I wonder what the rendering logic for that screen looks like.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh my goodness, you can just walk up at any time and princessnap her. That is amazing. :allears:

I guess they didn't bother to make a separate version of the Princess object that isn't, uh, vulnerable to bottles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't think you know how to play Zelda correctly.

Thanks for the LP!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FicusArt posted:

Be "umm, Guy" and travel through a world where no one actually bothers to learn your name.

I'm good with this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I would love to know this as well. I know the more popular Super Metroid and Metroid Prime randomizers I've seen try to give you access to a few key items early to give you the best possible odds of a winnable run, but even with those you generally need glitches to get your way through the vast majority of seeds.

The only really helpful glitches I'm aware of in Super Metroid that are reliably doable in realtime are the mockball (keep running speed in morphball form), gravity jump (jump super-high in liquids by taking the gravity suit off after jumping), and shinespark short charge (get a shinespark in a slightly shorter distance by walking for a few steps before you press the run button). Does the randomizer require more complicated glitches than these?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Whelp. We deserved that.

Suggest we name him mkay instead, mkay?

Morroque posted:

MyNameIsKaz did a few runs of Super Metroid Randomized (or rather, SUPER ITEM ROD) and it seems like the first item will always be either the Morph Ball, Speed Booster, or Screw Attack. The Speed Booster is the one with the lowest percentage of success since it actively requires the shinespark short charge to get out of Crateria. If you can't pull the glitch off, you're stuck.

Got any links for this? I did some cursory googling and wasn't able to find anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Morroque posted:

Check his Youtube or Twitch channel, Kazeugma.

Another thing I remember from his runs: if the Gravity Suit is placed within either Maridia or Norfair, the game can very easily be rendered impossible without TASing. The randomiser does need a bit more work to it in that sense.

Awesome, thanks. And yeah, doing suitless Maridia is a pain in the rear end, though I believe it's reasonably feasible to break into lower Norfair without it. Anyway, enough of this derail.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ZeeToo posted:

Since when has something being an invalid choice affected our voting? :confused:

On that note, changing my vote to %$&,,,!!.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This looks like a sign that DOGEWOW is in the lead so I'll change my vote!

Bad news: if you look at the binary content of the image file, it has a leading 1, which clearly means that the sign bit is set and thus it is massively negative. This is simple logic that anyone following this LP ought to be able to comprehend.

(Why did I do this? :cripes:)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CrazySalamander posted:

What do negative votes even mean? It clearly must be an unsigned variable.

You'd think that, but YouTube's video viewer count was an unsigned int until Psy came along and made them upgrade.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Actually that article says it was a signed int, the upgrade was doubling the bit count not going from unsigned to signed.

Yes, evidently my fingers did not get the memo from my brain when I wrote that post. I meant to say signed int. Oh well :sigh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It baffles me why it was ever a signed int in the first place.

Because signed is the default and when they first set up their database they didn't think very hard about it. Database schemas can be a pain in the rear end to change after the fact, so even though they probably knew it was wrong, they didn't want to touch it for fear of breaking other stuff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Probably to prevent stupid things from happening because the libraries they were using couldn't agree on how to handle an unsigned int. It's not like making it unsigned to begin with would have prevented the need to upgrade to 64 bit very long anyway.

Gangnam Style is at nearly 2.5 billion views. It'd need to get another 2.3 billion to overflow an unsigned 32-bit integer. Do you really think that it has that much longevity?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you want to get a "fresh" Super Metroid game, then your best bet is probably to try ROM hacks. They aren't going to have the pacing problems that the randomizer can have.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

Since the bingo board doesn't accept actual strings, I had to do a bit of math to turn MoonMoon into a number.

Here's the code I used: parseInt('MoonMoon'.split('').map((a) => { return a.charCodeAt(0).toString(16) }).join(''), 16)

Ooh, are we playing code golf? Here's my Python version:
sum(map(ord, 'MoonMoon'))

Which doesn't work the same way yours does: it converts each letter into its ASCII identifier and then sums the lot, yielding 818. If you want bigger, more likely-to-be-unique numbers, you could use reduce:
reduce(lambda x, y: x + y, map(str, map(ord, 'MoonMoon')))
That gives 7711111111077111111110, again by converting to ASCII identifiers, but then just bodging those identifiers next to each other to make a giant number-string.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Calling Twilight Princess a "bad game" is kind of unfair. I thought it had among the best dungeons and boss battles in the entire series. The rest of the game is ugly, boring, and lacking in charm at worst.

The dungeons are mostly ehh; the forest/spirit one is bad and the only other one that sticks in memory is the yeti manor which was actually pretty decent. The boss battles are universally awful. Wait for boss to make themselves vulnerable, use dungeon item on boss, stun boss, hit with sword, repeat. It's playing out a glorified quicktime event, with a ton of waiting in between opportunities to actually make progress.

Twilight Princess in general was bad enough to convince me to stop buying Zelda games sight-unseen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

"Wait for boss to be vulnerable" is basically how Zelda bosses have always been since they became 3D. I just thought they were a little more fun in TP. Oh well :shrug:

Counterpoint: Majora's Mask. It is amazing how much better the fights are in MM vs. in Ocarina of Time; practically every enemy is either always vulnerable to something or can be baited into making themselves vulnerable.

Then Wind Waker came along and they forgot everything they learned. :sigh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, incidentally, AGDQ had a pretty awesome 100% speedrun of Majora's Mask. I felt like I actually had a good grasp of what was going on during it, thanks to your LPs. Thanks, DoctorKill!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

So if you got the Fierce Deity's Mask, is it possible another mask is in its original place thus locking you out of it getting whatever it is?

He said he didn't need to turn in every mask to get the Fierce Deity Mask, so maybe that's another change in this hack?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

That would be the logical way to do it. When you activate or open a chest, have a flag that makes a dummy chest appear/open on the ceiling of the counterpart map. Very straightforward. It's pretty clearly a different map as enemy and item layouts and other effects (water, skylights, wind, lava, etc) change between the two. What doesn't make any goddamn sense at all is why the "dummy" chests are fully functional and contain the items found in their right-side-up counterparts. That is just really puzzling to me. I don't get it at all :psyduck:

They're almost certainly fully-functional (albeit upside-down) chests tied to the same object ID as is in the regular chest. Why bother making a dummy object that you then have to make certain is properly updated, when you can just invert a real one? Nobody should be able to open them anyway.

Cheez posted:

I dunno, I think it would probably be pretty easily and handily explained by someone taking the contents of the map and flipping them all.

This, however, I suspect is not the case. I mean yes, intuitively it makes sense to work this way, but I expect that too much of the map design must take into account the foibles of the physics engine (which is directionally oriented due to gravity) for an inverted map to cleanly work. You'd end up having to add a bunch of patches to say "okay, use the inverted map, but in this room, adjust this wall vertex by (X, y)" and at that point you might as well just make a whole new map and do your customizations that way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Is...is there something you're not telling us, Doctor Kill? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LPs, DoctorMoon MoonKill MoonDoctor! They were fun and educational, in a thoroughly impractical sense.

• Locked thread