Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Reach Heaven Through Violence seems to have originated in the sword manual of the person who said before mastering the sword you should first master sweeping, drawing water, writing, making paper, POETRY writing, house building and then after you've built a house give the gently caress up on mastering the sword because swords are dumb and only used by dumb people. So, I'd personally hesitate before assuming it's good and literal advice that's the key to the entire comic.

No, it's the core tenet ofYISUN's teachings and its use by Meti was sincere. Remember that the most exalted of YISUN's saints was an aggressive, ignorant, unsightly woman who defeated philosophers and kings by refusing to comprehend them and just smashing through all obstacles. Remind you of anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Mentalizer posted:

This is one of my favorite moments so far:

Just the idea that this one woman is so loving terrifying that even amidst the insanity of a massive battle not a single person came within 5 feet of her while she just sat there eating noodles.

Oh, they tried. They just didn't make it any further. See how all those gashes in the floor radiate from where she was sitting?

Beware the swordsman who carries no blade.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Esme posted:

Look at the sword marks on the ground. They tried to come near, they just didn't get very far.

E: ^^ :argh:

Your tongue is sluggish and pale. You refuse to exhale the hot breath of the Flame Immortal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

knights mendicant are broadly similar to the old cliche of the itinerant beggar-monk, so of course its not advisable to gently caress with them.

e. also, her full name is something like Maya Kill the Gods and Topple Their Thrones.

Mathangi Maya Mantra Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones.

Try to fit that poo poo on a business card.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Minor thing, but how thin Juggernaut Star is stands out to me. Despite being a kingslaying badass, his figure is sticklike. He's almost skeletal, and unlike some of the other angels we've seen in the Void, even the inhuman ones, he doesn't look like a living thing at all. He's even lacking in eyes ; almost every other angel seems to have them, well, everywhere, but he has two empty sockets. No wings either, another thing pretty much every other angel we've seen in the Void has had. I wonder why he's so different; it's not just being a Thorn Knight, is it? He's utterly unlike any other angel we've seen.

He does have wings. Or he did. You can see the stubs sticking out of his back.

Angels are defined by the shells they take outside of the Void. An angel creating and modifying its own shell isn't just a hideous taboo, it mutilates the angel's true form as well. That's why Juggernaut's body has been compressed and warped and sharpened all over. He's literally bending himself out of shape.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fleshy echidna posted:

Maybe that's why we see all these huge seemingly lifeless angels floating around the void, they're meant to reincarnate after being destroyed in the physical world, but maybe they never learned how to reincarnate into the void. Although 2 Michael does present an issue on that front.

They're reincarnating, it just takes a long-rear end time. A proper shell takes millennia to grow. A Thorn Knight can hammer one out over a weekend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Why do people keep referring to Allison as 'Alice'?

"Un" is a common suffix in Throne. Alice-Un.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I love every single thing about this comic so, so much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

I love that Allison's superpower is being really, really good at not knowing what the everloving gently caress she's doing

Pree Aesma would be proud.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Quinton posted:

I'm mildly disappointed if she didn't intentionally not eat the paper doll (I'm much more a fan of Allison taking control of her life, even if it's by making completely rash and uninformed decisions), though I suppose, having just drunk as much devil liquor as she did, she could be fuzzy on the events leading up to this and merely forgot that she chose not to eat it. I feel like the story works better (for me at least) if she did not cheat, but her motivation was pride or general stubbornness rather than honor.

Remember that Allison is basically the second coming of Pree Aesma, and that means conquering all obstacles through the power of being a furious dumbass.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 30, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I bounced around between Allison, Zaid, and Incubus too - I was fixating on the earring, which none of them have, but I'm pretty sure any one of them is capable of accessorizing between now and then

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

his gimmick is putting out middling-performing singles in which he informs people that theyre no fuckin' elvis and should step down, step down, step down

Every other demiurge thought he wrote that song about them. The ensuring war lasted 170,000 years and reduced countless worlds to ash.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

M. Propagandalf posted:

To last two pages against Mottom, I like to think he puts up a decent fight.

Mortal limitations considered.

Defiance is an offering in itself. All is relished.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That aside, it is going to be hella satisfying when Allison stabs this lady directly in the face.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

correct me if im wrong but doesnt allison have the same power as the demiurges?

Power and knowledge are two different things, and Allison has a horrible deficit of the latter. In fact, she's so lacking in knowledge that her lack of knowledge is her power. Reach Heaven through violence.

e: my usually ironclad vocabulary has betrayed me

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 6, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, I get the feeling Mottom's relentless indulgence is borne partially out of her certainty that the demiurges' days are numbered. She's not really a "long-term" kind of person.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah I don't know what else you see her spending all her time doing

Crochet? I bet she'd be into crochet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know it's not going to happen, but I so want Allison to just step up to this broad and make a huge scene.

And then when Mottom does the whole theatric "what is thy name, brave girl" act in preparation for another horrible punishment, Alison answers, "Kill Six Billion Demons."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I look forward to seeing how Allison fumbles through the next several pages without being rent to pieces by Mottom's harsh language.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ashcans posted:

How likely is it that Mottom recognizes the Master Key on sight? If she does then surely she'll realize this is a big deal, but if its not actually immediately recognizable from other headthings people might have, she might just be seriously confused about who this obviously befuddled rear end in a top hat is in the face of her awesome power demonstration. Like you might expect the bowing wave of people to reveal some new badass who thinks he's better than groot, but having the reveal be a tribute who is clearly terrified is way off.

I think the shine in their heads is a big tipoff and one that Mottom has noticed. Hers is just twinkling a bit. Allison's is going off like the goddamn sun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Blade: Jagganoth, as the Blade is associated with violence. I imagine he's supposed to be emblematic of the person who has learned the wrong lesson from Meti's Sword Manual, in that the best combatant is one who detests violence and uses force only for good and as a last resort.

That is most definitely not the lesson of Meti's manual. The moral it preaches is that of unthinking violence, the ability to destroy without dwelling on the consequences or relishing in the result. The sanctioned action is to Cut. Cut your mind from your body as you cut your opponent's head from his shoulders. Cut the truth from the clinging idiocy of the world, cut God and cut further without feeling God's blood warm on your back. Cut with your blade, with your tongue, with the keen and keening edge of Want. Raise your shaking fists to Heaven and reach concordance in flame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i believe Metis more important point was that you should do all that only if, even after building your house and learning poetry and tending your garden, you still desire to Cut. because a sword is an ugly piece of metal for idiots.

Well, yeah. Tear away the eyes of God and hollow out God's skull with your spitting hot breath if you must, but farming is preferable. Buy a hoe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The more we see of Mottom, the less I feel her Gluttony represents literally eating things. It seems more like conspicuous consumption turned up to 11. This banquet, for example - most of it just gets thrown out suspect. A lot of those dishes are made so one bite can be taken.

That is to say... Anyone who's baked knows any recipe with eggs can only be scaled back so far. You're gonna use at least one egg. So if you only want one cookie, you either find someone else to give the rest to or don't bother. Mottom, though, has them bake the full batch just so she can have that one cookie.

Yeah, for all of Mottom's excess on display, we've only seen her take one bite of food in all her time in the comic. Her gluttony stems from her relentless accumulation of wealth, without any care or thought given to the wealth itself - all that matters is that she has all these things, and other people don't. Like with the world below her palace, where she took a liking to the fruit, and then made it so that no one but herself could ever have it again.

On the other end you have Mammon, who represents Greed, who has hardly ever been depicted without money, and who owns a bank that controls and lends money to every corner of the sevenfold cosmos. He doesn't love money; he just tells it that to get it into bed. His object of desire is the sum and whole of his vice, unlike Mottom, whose vice is the desire itself, always in search of an object. The two of them probably don't get along well at parties, or at least they wouldn't if anyone could coax Mammon out of his planet-sized Scrooge McDuck vault.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jackard posted:

I don't think Allison stood up voluntarily..? The pose seemed like a combination of her terrified/outraged reaction and the master key forcing her to remain upright.

No, she was shaking like a leaf but standing of her own free will. The key can't "force" her to do anything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It didn't look to me like she stood up intentionally. I think that the key in her head wouldn't let her kneel. Like, it physically dragged her to her feet.

There's been no indication that the keys have minds of their own. Allison stood up of her own free will, even though her every muscle immediately went THE gently caress IS THIS and tried to shut down out of self-preservation. She was asserting herself in a moment of great adversity despite eye-watering terror. It was a nice moment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jackard posted:

Pose was kinda hard to read

Clenched fists, knock knees, lots of muscle-tension lines around every major joint. Pretty clearly says "I am doing everything I can to remain upright, even though my skeleton is trying to leave the room without me."

Also there was the deep exhale beforehand, which was Allison steeling herself for making the latest in a long and already-storied line of incredibly inadvisable choices.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think she's currently just reveling in the novelty of speaking to someone she doesn't want to immediately murder. The skinny girl is mouthing off to her! And she still has all her skin afterward! Delightful!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zoss the Unfuckwithable

This is in fact his full title.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's interesting, she's utterly evil and deserves no sympathy in any regard, but Mottom really does look rather piteous in the last panel.

She doesn't want the multiverse to be destroyed. She lives there!

Also Solomon David is wearing a dog because gently caress you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wonderslug posted:

Chatty, philosophical Mottom is starting to weird me out. More in common with Ciocie than I expected, too.

She hasn't had anyone to interact with besides herds of groveling supplicants, a miserly dog, a slurring piece of rock, an omnicidal colossus, a sex offender, a rouged-up pile of worms and Beardo McIndieband for at least half a kalpa now. Lady's probably grateful for the company, even if she'll wind up trying to murder it anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
1 Feisty Lady Shakes It Like a Polaroid Picture, Audaciously

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

If the wheels could handle themselves, Juggs would be out of a job.

Pretty sure that one alt-text implied that the bike and its skellies are just extensions of Juggernaut Star himself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The Demiurges, like the old Gods, will never be Good People. Like Zoss, they all Reached Heaven Through Violence -- that is, they seized power by overcoming strife, but did not earn it.

Earning power is exactly what reaching heaven through violence is about. Meti's sword manual portrays it as a positive contrast to the statement "only idiots wish to become kings" - the Demiurges gained their status as a side-effect of exercising their strength and viciousness, which is better than consciously seeking to rule.

The problem is they've stagnated after wallowing in unimaginable excess and hedonism for so long, except Jaggonoth, who's spent all this time sharpening his knives instead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really can't conceive the horror of existing in the same cosmos as Pree Aesma Ten Yondam, attention-deficit ravager of all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

it's pree ashma, not aesma, isn't it

i'm pretty sure there's no point in asking Aesma's forgiveness for anything

Ashma's an alternate spelling for Aesma, I think.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I like the idea that the only reason Aesma wasn't constantly warring against the upholders of cosmic law for her ten thousand daily transgressions against decency and light is because the Powers That Be decided she was too stupid for punishment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

But Aesma is pretty happy!

Q: What do you do when you're bad at fighting in the ocean?

A: Beat up the ocean until it is no longer an ocean.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I read somewhere else that this might be one of the more interesting ways of characterizing something based on gluttony - Mottom's behavior is compulsive, she's unable to stop even though she knows it's wrong and it's killing her in extremely obvious ways.

I kind of want to see Mammon more than ever just to see how his excess contrasts with hers. Hellhound's got no time for angst, he has his mind on his money and money on his mind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

YOU DEFEATED OLD MAN FROM NANTUCKET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That lizard in the lower-right corner of the first panel has no loving idea what he's getting himself into.