Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Salami Dave is about to make a point to White Chain with those remaining contenders. Two points if he's really gonna show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A 1 finger, 1 point strike shattered a stone table and was called Certain Death. He's about to deliver what looks like a five finger five-point strike twice. Given what a simple punch can do, I think there will be a fine red mist and little else around him for several meters in about two seconds :suspense:.

Twenty Four posted:

Here's a guess - Salami Dave the Demiurge can not bleed, or can keep himself from doing so. At some point in all of this some one, probably one of the main cast, will cut or injure him ever so slightly, but there will be no blood. That's his big catch 22.

I don't think so, because remember; He's not done winning. I think he fundamentally wants someone to take the empire off his hands so he can go back on his own path.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twenty Four posted:

Yeah I don't necessarily think my guess was right, just something I thought of as a possible twist. However, if I remember right, Gog said Salami Dave will "grant your wish" which doesn't necessarily mean "take over his empire"? It might have said that specifically somewhere else but I don't remember the page.

Here's where Gog was explaining it to Allison, which is what I remember off the top of my head.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-7-64/

I swear I've read somewhere he's looking for someone to take the empire off his hands via the tournament, but damned if I can remember where now. I think maybe the chapter where he's showing off the empire to Zaid, maybe?

edit: Found it; It's at the start of King of Swords, he makes a point that if someone wants the Crown they can come claim it by blood. Spilled that is, not hereditary - https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-1-3/.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 8, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a computing pun posted:

I like to believe that Dave hasn't considered the possibility that a person would wish for anything other than to take his place. Or, at least, that anyone powerful enough and (in his mind, therefore wise and virtuous enough) to scratch him would - I'm sure he knows that there are plenty of fools who would wish for love or money or whatever, but, like, he created a perfect world-spanning empire, the greatest dominion ever to exist. It's forever his greatest achievement, obviously it's also the greatest desire of anyone sensible.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I still think Solomon David is lying to himself about wanting to hand off his empire. Like, consciously, that's what he wants. That's what he knows it would be most virtuous and god-emperor-ly of him to want.

But he is also completely incapable of letting anyone else make their own, in his eyes wrong, decisions. He's completely inflexible and self-absorbed, so nobody (even someone who beats him!) will ever be good enough for the Celestial Empire of Solomon David unless they are literally just Solomon David. There is no way in hell he would actually hand off his empire, because that would be an opportunity for something to do the wrong thing and threaten what he built. So, his search for an heir is futile and will always end in him obliterating the challenger because Solomon David cannot actually recognize anyone but himself as worthy.

I'm interested in being proven wrong, but like, you don't become the tyrant of seven hundred thousand worlds (or about eleven percent more than that) without being some kind of hosed up, that just doesn't happen to reasonable people.

What you're missing is it's also the greatest prison for him. He might've wanted to be Paternum when he was conquering and building and pillaging, but that's all done and over now with a successful Celestial Empire flourishing across the 111,111 worlds he owns and nothing left for a Conqueror to do. I think there's meant to be an inference that the "Commonwealth will last 10,000 years more" comes with "so long as I'm at the top", and the only way he can continue on his path to Royalty is by ensuring someone who at least approaches him in terms of power and discipline is sitting on the throne to keep things stable. He's in a holding position waiting and trapped by chains of his own making until then. Plus if a singular person tries to gently caress up the Empire from the top down while he's away, he can come right back and sort that very quickly.

On a side-note, I dearly love the reason why his world has two suns now when the original was destroyed in the Universal War;

"Because I put them there" .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm not missing that, because that's the case for every Demiurge. Mottom's court was her prison; Yre was Mammon's.

Mottom desperately wanted to escape, but without Allison would never have actually done what was necessary.

Solomon will never accept an heir until he is forced to, because Solomon cannot actually bear to give up the prison he's built for himself (and more importantly, for his citizens).

Oh I get what you mean now :doh:; He wants out, but at the same time he wants to hold on to everything?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I believe they get a choice between fighting him for control of the empire or getting a silly-huge reward, likely similar to what the smart battle royale contestants are getting by standing still and doing nothing

It's not control of the empire, it's to be granted a wish by Solomon. Solomon's just really banking on that wish being "I want your entire Empire". And anyone wanting to get that prize is probably stupid enough to think they can fight Solomon. See; Literally everyone on the current page taking a step forward.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shirts and skins posted:

FIVE POINT PALM HEART EXPLODING TECHNIQUE!

I was literally just thinking that Solomon's about to explode a lot more than a single heart with his five-point finger technique :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wiegieman posted:

There are 2 people who know Ki Rata, but the other one actually adheres to the oath he took not to use it.

Wait, who's the other one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Precambrian posted:

I hope the other Ki Rata guy never shows up again in the comic. I just love that there's this apocalyptic, demiurge tier powerhouse living in Throne who adheres to his oath so strictly that he mostly just gives people relationship and business advice while chilling in his tower and people have just gotten used to him.

He could utterly destabilize the power balance of the entire universe, but he is not about to do poo poo unless somebody tries to learn Ki Rata and everyone knows it.

It's Throne though, so there's probably a hundred people like that scattered theoughout the Red City alone as well :allears:.

Also I like that asking anyone to learn Ki Rata starts with "Okay" and ends with a single lesson on being on the receiving end of a single one-point strike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really love the Sword Law tenements, simply because they're practical to the point that the fundamentals of it are "Wanting to be a sword-wielder is a really stupid goal in life and swords are very silly things that do nothing but murder people. You'd be better off turning your sword into a shovel or plow, as it'll be far more useful. But, if you really must do it, here's how to cut something properly."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hypocrisy posted:

There are still bones? Guess Solomon is going easy on them.

Never play an ace if a two will do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've actually got a dumb theory for how this could end, just from looking at the potential outcome and working backwards.

What if Solomon threw the fight to White Chain and foisted the Empire on her?

She thinks he's a tyrant? Oh no, she managed to just barely nick him!...somehow... Congratulations; the Empire is hers to hold reign over so he is thus no longer a tyrant, wish granted, bye guys I'm off to pursue True Royalty while she's removed as a threat by having to keep stewardship over 111,111 worlds and deal with the armies of two other Demiurges spoiling for war!... :wave:

Basically the biggest Prim's Comb ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

eke out posted:

yeah Chekhov's Gog is definitely in play here

Given the nature of Gog-Agog, how many people in the audience do you think have eaten the Worm?

On a side-note, given the way the Keys can be parted out to emissaries and the like, fighting Gog-Agog hosts is probably gonna be like punching smoke because they'll all have a little piece of Divinity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

any joke he may or may not have said died in the universal war and he has never joked again

The sole joke he ever told was proving the Ki Rata masters hadn't tempered his desire for violence.

It was a hell of a punchline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fister Roboto posted:

I really hope that when this is all over, Solomon finally breaks his composure. Just totally loses his poo poo.

I'm hoping for a crazy rictus grin, myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hostile V posted:

Oh god just full-bore Passive Aggressive Dad meltdown as he systematically dismantles everything and he doesn't even raise his voice louder than polite conversation.

"Fine, I put all this effort into a tournament for a willing heir and this is the kind of reception dad gets, huh? Thought the two suns were a good touch but no I guess nothing's good enough for you. Going to have to bring the extra sun back to the store, see if I can get a refund or store credit. Going to have to maybe talk to a manager about it. There goes my Saturday. Gonna take me all day."

"In my day we had no Sun at all because of the Universal War, so I had to train by starlight every day. I got you two so you wouldn't have to live in the cold darkness like I did, you should be grateful".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IMJack posted:

Gog-Googlegogs

The Agogstrocrats!

Gog-a-Google, Gog-a-Google one-of-us, one-of-us....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

To be fair, Gog-Agog is clearly 'approximately one New God of the Seven Part World' dangerous, which is to say, one of the most unpredictably and incomparably horrifying beings in the entire omniverse.

Solomon David also killed a demiurge and took his star-crown, so the two of them facing off seems like a fascinating and terrifying event. I'd be disappointed if he just got nommed, rather than 'his entire empire is thrown into Worm War and he's still only one man, even if he can kill an entire planet with his fists in surprisingly little time.'

The problem with claiming Gog-aGog's Key is I'm willing to bet it's divided throughout their collective. You'd have to go through their 111,111 worlds punching nigh-infinite worms to reassemble it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

A spread of everyone getting gibbed simultaneously* would be pretty badass.

I'm hoping for the family-circus two-page spread, followed by a single-page followup of "This is what everyone else saw" as they all burst at the same time and Solomon barely moves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regalingualius posted:

The secret of Ki Rata is bullets too slow.

I suspect if you try to shoot Smuglord Dave with a sniper rifle you'll barely hear the rifle go "bang" before he's standing beside you, handing you back your bullet, and smugly asking if you misplaced it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Slayer has so much willpower, he can fully manifest a body on the King's Road to kill demons there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paranoid randroid posted:

here come dat paterdom-dom-dom-dom

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Lord of Hats posted:

Num num paternum! Pater pater paternum!

NUM-NUM-PAT-ER-NUM! :byodood:

Royalty is a continuous rhythm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Royalty is a continuous striking motion. :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

eke out posted:

trying to figure out if the people who were sitting and not moving to attack him are also dead? i mean it sure looks like literally everyone in that radius is very dead

The smart ones backed right the gently caress off in the background two pages back. Everyone encircling him were the ones who thought this was their moment.

It was not their moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashcans posted:

His halo is completely gone this whole time, which I take to mean this is all purely his Ki Rata bullshit, not even powered or enhanced by crazy Key poo poo.

eke out posted:

yeah i think you're right, we're not in the same spot anymore and everyone's moved forward to encircle him.

presumably all those people who backed off are all perfectly fine, since he did promise them

the same glowing purple as his halo is completely surrounding his body tho

I think all the Key's doing here is stopping time, because his word is Diamond and I'd wager that lets him craft a perfectly-preserved moment in time. He does need help to punch people to red slurry, that's all pure Ki-Rata.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

I doubt it; Dave's probably going to letter-of-the-law and kill them too because he said that they had to "remain as you are and do absolutely nothing".

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-10-132/

Hell, he's probably going to still kill people who did stand still because they blinked or something.

That's not his style. The letter of the law here is goading people into striking him, killing the others just makes him look bad as the Paternum. Leaving them alone sends a much better message to everyone watching; Obey the Paternum and be rewarded. Come at the Paternum and you best not loving miss because he sure won't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renaissance Robot posted:

From everyone else's perspective this is one of those "the swords clicks the last inch back into its sheath without ever being seen and everyone falls in half" moments

The very height of martial arts breathing bullshit

I'm really hoping the next page is "and this is what everyone else just saw".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

reignonyourparade posted:

Letter of the law is just that running away means you don't get any rewards. It basically set up a scenario where those who DO trust in his words get rewards and those who went "actually I dont want to be anywhere near Salami Dave when he's fighting" get mere survival.

No, Solomon David made it clear that just for being in the round they're gonna get status and wealth in the Celestial Empire, and don't have to do anything to earn that. But if anyone would like to take a swing at him to try for the grand prize, they are free to do so...

edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone else hear Keith David's voice when reading Solomon's dialogue?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Demiurge4 posted:

Maia is still unaccounted for and if she’s in the arena she’s allowed a strike.

If anyone could claim that single drop of blood, it's actually probably her. Don't forget she's an Emissary of Jagganoth and spoiling for a shot of her own at Incubus.

Joe Slowboat posted:

This doesn't seem to say it was Jagganoth's idea, just that they're working together. We don't have any evidence it was the Red God's idea, and from Incubus' first scene with Allison in dreams where he seems to be considering how useful she might be, I would bet he was the first to see potential in her - maybe not to restart Universal War, but his entire deal is taking people and baiting them into getting hooked on Crystal Incubus.

Plus, just narratively, unless he explicitly says Jagganoth drew him into this plan, the way he was introduced and the way the story played out, he's clearly meant to be understood as independently scheming.

That he's dumb enough to scheme with the Red God is a character point about Incubus, and his terrible terrible decisions.

Incubus' scheme is training Alice to make her beat up the big red bully squatting in his playground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Emissaries are people like the bondage nun who have been lent a portion of a Key. Maya isn't anyone's Emissary. She's also not part of the order of knights who follow Jag. She's a Mendicant Knight.

Have you not noticed that red gem embedded in her forehead? Remember her entire drive is that she's out to kill Incubus.

edit: I fully admit I might be wrong, but it looks an awful lot like what the other emissaries have had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Lots of people have those without their being Emissaries that get their juice straight from a Demiurge's key.

Some of them have fakes, just as fashion, some are just personally powerful enough that they have a real diminutive version, much like the (many) Demiurges of old had before they all got whittled down and condensed into the 7 of today.

Maya is likely in that 'just personally powerful enough to have one of her own' crowd. Can't remember what they're called, off-hand, but they're a thing outside of the Demiurge keys.

edit: Ley-Stones. That's what they're called.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-16/

Anybody can have one, they're separate from actual Keys to gates, and the ones that aren't fakes (to look more powerful/important than you actually are) get bigger and more impressive the more powerful you are. Naturally, demiurges can pump some of their power into someone, and their Ley-Stone would become more impressive as a result, so it's the natural assumption one would make for most people meeting someone with one like that (you know, impressive).

Maya has a pretty dang big one...because she's Maya, end of story. Most people would probably assume she's wearing a fake...because what would a drunken noodle-glutton possibly be doing with an actual Ley-Stone that size and luster?

Ahh, I got them confused. I think I misread that page during my recent re-read, because I guess I got Ley-stone == Emissary out of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love the drinking contest :allears:.

Has anyone ever actually put that to music?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VanSandman posted:

Yeah that's all been stated explicitly.
Maya left her key behind when she stopped being a demiurge. It's why she's not still a demiurge.

When did that come up?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Apropos of nothing, I was just looking up something else and saw that apparently there's no Aesma corpse in Throne because the creation of her universe was so violent it blasted her body to bits and there's just scattered fragments of Aesma all over throne.

Iiirc, one of the stories mentions she actually tore herself apart in a fit of rage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tulip posted:

When Meti says that being a noodle vendor is a good thing to be, it isn't because noodle vendors don't care, it's because they care very deeply about something that makes people's lives better in a way you can actually control, without becoming a horrible control freak who ruins everyone around you.

You don't succeed by not caring - Incubus doesn't care. You succeed by caring very deeply about very close things.

Sword Law itself is very pragmatic in that the first and most important thing it tries to instill in new students is that swords are very silly things only good for killing people and your Master will think better of you for quitting their tutelage. There are thousands of better paths you could take that are long, happy, and don't involve getting stabbed or maimed. Take your sword, beat it into a plow, and it will be a far greater tool for the rest of your days.

But, if you really want to learn how to use a sword, then at least learn how to cut something properly.

Tulip posted:

When Meti says that being a noodle vendor is a good thing to be, it isn't because noodle vendors don't care, it's because they care very deeply about something that makes people's lives better in a way you can actually control, without becoming a horrible control freak who ruins everyone around you.

You don't succeed by not caring - Incubus doesn't care. You succeed by caring very deeply about very close things.

Meti only had one apprentice. Incubus was merely part of the lesson.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wiegieman posted:

A lesson that involves Incubus becoming the god of a seventh of creation is a bad lesson.

That was because she didn't learn it the first time over a rat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thechosenone posted:

What if someone tried to combine both? make your sword into a plow, plow your enemies literally into the ground to fertilize your tomatoes. I'm sure at least one person had some pretty good results with this idea.

This is the kind of story that almost certainly ends with "their slain corpse was used to fertilize their own garden/farmland".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nimby posted:

Incubus took all of the teachings of Meti to heart and lives and breathes her lessons.

It's just that Meti taught him wrong as a joke.

"Became God of one-seventh of existence because you didn't kill him when you had the chance" is a pretty firm lesson to give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

coolusername posted:

I thought the smoke wafting out of the arena windows = white chain just got smoked?

Aside from all the dialogue from Gog-Agog about the impending final showdown? :confused: