Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

i wonder if we'll ever find out if there was more to the emptying of throne than the stories tell

why did the gods banish their Servants from their city? if the prime angels did not know the gods, who exactly put them there? why was heaven emptied, locked, and left to crumble?

the Primes knew the gods, but not all angels were Primes; there's only two ex-Primes conscious and kicking around right now and neither one of them is exactly a reliable source of stories about the good old days

which does raise the question of, like, is 2 Michael the sole source that creation myth comes from? last any Servants woulda saw of Throne it was a bustling pantheon, then a hintillion years later Zoss busts in and finds these giant monster angels hanging around a charnel house, slaughters them all, and the one guy who saw everything that's left talking says everyone just killed themselves I swear, p.s. let's you and me launch a coup on heaven and kill everyone just on the DL :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i can't accept that theory simply because there's no way running from Zoss means anything but you die tired

dude teleported into heaven, killed everything there, and chased the angels into angel heaven to kick their asses again

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

ROSES ARE RED
VIOLETS ARE BLUE
WHERES YOUR GOD NOW
IVE JUST STEPPED ON YOU

they should have sent a scribe

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he's sort of about twenty stories too short to be in his original Prime getup dude, it's just hosed up old armor

the post-concordance angels have still been around for a long, long time, and most of their gear is in way worse shape than 2 Michael's. 82 White Chain's lookin all shiny and spotless by comparison because she's on her, uh, 82nd set that got totaled

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 26, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheCIASentMe posted:

Actually I have to wonder at that.

So far the devils we've met have all been widely different personalities and the most of the information we've been given is from sources that are antithesis to devils or were trying to manipulate the situation to their advantage.

It would not surprise me to find that the devils have no plans to upset anything or are actively trying to keep the status quo.

yeah they generally just seem like a lumpen underclass, mostly selfish in a world without bigger causes to believe in, manipulative in a system that explicitly rewards it, resentful of their masters like any self-respecting slave but well aware their bondage beats the alternative; so basically similar to everyone else in the conquered multiverse. I think you're bringing in some D&D poo poo if you're seeing them as fundamentally committed to Universal Evil or something, they'd barely get it up for Universal Sleaze

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 27, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Unbound isn't necessarily the same as unmasked. There's been nothing really clear said about it and like with the color castes Operant's probably still working it out, but I sorta read it as that unmasked and unnamed demons are mindless formless raw power, their masking/binding is a deal where they get individuality and a mind in exchange for servitude and heavy limits placed on the ways they can use his power, and Himself has managed to extricate himself from all the debts, conditions, and limitations imposed by his binding while retaining the intellect, resulting in a terrifying monster with the ability to pursue a real plan and leverage his power effectively.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 28, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

She took one look at it, and thought she must have already had ravaged it and then forgot about it, and then she went looking for some more pristine place to defile.

It's not clear so far how big her demense actually is; this was a fair assumption when it seemed like each demiurge had 111,000 entire universes to themselves and had to send their mobile oppression palace around to Independence Day each one in person but it's since become clearer that the division of spoils wasn't remotely equal and some undefined part of creation (notably including, IIRC, Zoss's universe) belongs to no one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

team overhead smash posted:

I dunno, I don't think you can keep a load of universes under your crushingly oppressive rule and ripe for exploitation if you let the locals sass you without any comeuppance.

Earthly tyrants need to make a big show of crushing any dissent because their grip is tenuous, their power limited, and if the upstarts are allowed to get their poo poo together they could quickly overthrow them. The Demiurges need to maintain that kind of vigilant oppression like you need to stick a Glock in a kitten's face to get it to stop hissing at you.

some people just like to shoot cats man

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sucker punch.

More seriously, my impression is that while demiurges are apocalypticly powerful, they're not substantially more durable than their unenlightened brethren, they're just really really good at dodging. I'm mostly guessing here, but we do know for certain they still age, and that humans can only go a few centuries at most, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn they could all be done in by a good old fashioned beheading so long as they didn't see it coming.

I guess we're gonna find out this chapter, but I think it's significant that the only people we know of to have ever hosed up a demiurge are other demiurges, and I have a hard time seeing gross ol mummy Mottom ruling unopposed over her multiversal empire of terror in gangster heaven for eons if a dagger in the back or some cyanide pie stood a chance of ending it. We're talking definitions of 'good at dodging' that make it functionally identical to invulnerability in every way.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Pretty sure abaddon directly addressed this at one point, the destructive potential of the demiurges' own mystic magic bullshit is at least equivalent to nukes. The reason they tend to stick on matchlock era weaponry is that anything more complex isn't worth the effort of maintaining in the void, because magic is Hot poo poo. (as in, if magic wasn't really all that good you can bet they'd bother keeping more advanced weapons around; they're certainly not hurting for resources)

Reminder that Zoss soloed like a hundred gundams practically bare handed.

The Road Not Taken is very good though, even if it does skirt the border of military fanwank.

yeah it seems like the gist is rather than go through the effort to develop the substantial industrial base you need for, like, modern armaments (or cars, or computers, or whatever), they'd rather build a matchlock any clever person could build out of a pipe, a rope, a log, and some poop in a shed and then make it a magic matchlock that can shoot through tanks or never runs out of bullets or whatever they want it to. In Throne physical objects are really more or less just an anchor to hang some magic onto and their actual mundane properties aren't that important, bodies included. The idea of a sword in the hands of a skilled fighter is more lethal than a dozen real ones in the hands of fools.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 7, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the real reason is because if you really want some bullshit about cool laser cannons and jet fighters totally punking magic demigods who oh man did not see that coming you're looking for this story, not Kill Six Billion Demons

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

well I wasn't expecting that

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Holy poo poo, her physical body looks much better than her shade.

doubtful

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

jsoh posted:

if you rule a seventh of creation you spend your time doing whatever the gently caress you want, and a character who represents gluttony would probably not be too opposed to receiving lots and lots of gifts

yeah I don't know what else you see her spending all her time doing, this kind of looks like the whole point

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

she and Gog-Agog just spent last night doing MAKEOVERS

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i really hope she's actually also a hosed up ghoul IRL because the ugly on the inside thing would be be really corny

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

she'd be doing pretty good considering. when a kalpa old you reach, look as good you will not.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

Killable maybe, but they may be able to stave off natural death indefinitely. I could believe Gog-Agog is some kind of hive intelligence of worms that basically can reproduce and sustain itself forever, for instance. It's likely that Jadis has suspended her animation in the process of preserving herself in glass, and therefore can likely exist until that glass is broken and her body destroyed. Mottom may have some kind of a lich situation going on there, where she mummified her body with dubious (if not outright evil) magics. Mammon is a Servant, and therefore apparently biologically immortal. Jagganoth may just be so powerful that death can't lay a finger on him. There has been speculation that Incubus is no longer truly corporeal.

As for Solomon David, he's clearly the most well-preserved of the humans. Wonder what his secret is? Maybe he's just too cool to get old.

virtually everyone of note is immortal (but not invulnerable) in KSBD, whether through their basic nature (everyone but humans) or through mastery of the cosmos (the demiurges), and in a society of undying beings the demiurges have still been in power for an inordinately long time

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 11, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mr. stefan posted:

Mottom pooched it a thousand years ago when some other dude did the same song and dance and all she could come up with at the time was mumbled swearing and an explosion, and she's been waiting all that time to deploy the ironic punishment she thought up less than five seconds after the fact

lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i think we're past the part of the comic where the protagonist is a hapless spectator while other characters do the important poo poo all around her

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

I get the feeling that as we get to know the demiurges more the "seven sins" theme will be increasingly superficial. Especially since they have their own explicit seven-part theme with the names of royalty thing. Mottom likes to eat! She also runs a glorious palace of luxury and excess in all aspects, will burn down worlds to gain a single product, and is quick to demonstrate her mastery over magic.

yeah people are really trying to force the motif

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mottom spent all afternoon doing her horrifying ghoul makeup and Allison just shits all over it :(

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This comic is great and I'm betting there's some problem with getting the key that'll leave evil grandma vulnerable to the other aspirants to the throne.

just on the face of it it's the same cold war stalemate as before. Mottom taking the key is going to provoke an immediate joint attack from everyone else, and while it's a very powerful tool I don't think it instantly makes you Zoss the Unfuckwithable, and she clearly thinks the big man himself is still in the picture, so she wants to be drat sure she knows what's going on first.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 13, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

well, yeah, they're mighty as gently caress

they just weren't the pioneers who breached firmaments/agreed upon the forging of new angel bodies and angel law/devised the masking and binding of demons/etc

and I think some of the outside-the-comic stuff implies they weren't necessarily particularly capable as demiurges went, just the ones who happened to be left standing when the dust settled on the chaos. probably a fair bit of the tall poppies getting cut during that

Still impossibly beyond anyone else still kicking but some like Mottom might have reason to be insecure on their throne, what keeps her there at this point might really just be her key

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cathair posted:

Also I suppose it has something to do with what constitutes 'building up' for these people. I don't think it's like stockpiling WMDs- which Jagganoth apparently also does, but that's not what makes him so strong- or charging magical macguffins, I suspect it's more about what's going on in their heads. Sure, it doesn't even take reality-bending powers to get an inkling of what cards a person is holding from how they act, but it can be hard to tell the full extent of what a person knows just from looking at them. And what is the trigger that would indicate it's time to act against someone? You gonna rekindle universal war every time a Demiurge sits in their chambers and meditates?

So I figure they weren't really aware of what Jagganoth had become able to do, because up until whatever altercation they had, he never had a reason to show more power than what they all use to subjugate their worlds. Then one day they have it out and go "oh poo poo, Jagganoth done gone and figured out the last few secrets to total mastery of space/time, we're proper hosed now"

I get the feeling it's less about stockpiling weapons and more about increasing one's personal ability to survive getting PERISHed. They could all take each other out, and any other weapon or army is irrelevant next to their personal destructive power, but they could also all be taken out by any other demiurge, and maybe a seventh of the multiverse isn't so bad when you're looking at the prospect of gambling your life on six shootouts. Unless an invulnerable one of their number eliminates that risk.

sorta like the real cold war it was a halfway workable missile defense that was threatening to really set off the end of the world, not a bigger superbomb or the deadliest starting move

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 19, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

I imagine this iron feather business was an earlier ploy by the Thorns to end the universe before Michael convinced them the successor prophecy was a safer bet. To me, it seems like Jagganoth is severely depressed and just wants to take the multiverse with him when he goes because he's realized the only thing he's ever been good at is destroying things. As Abaddon previously said, the Seven are monsters, but tragic and pitiable.

It doesn't matter to the Thorns who the new Conquering King is, only that they control them.

Oxxidation posted:

She doesn't want the multiverse to be destroyed. She lives there!

Also Solomon David is wearing a dog because gently caress you.

Who's she gonna enslave if there's no more anything?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in what sense was Jagganoth being played

he knows he's on a holy mission to unmake the universe

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yeah it doesn't look like she's got a lot of people she can talk about this poo poo to who might get any of it (imagine trying to have this conversation with Solomon), so she's playing the voice of experience initiating the new girl to her new job as a Hero. also she's probably about to try to throw Allison at Jagganoth in the hopes that they kill each other

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 24, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

That, and Mottom kind of needs to believe this to be true because otherwise it means being a terrible person is her own fault.

I don't think the two are particularly contradictory. She's not saying she's literally a helpless pawn of a deterministic universe and could never have been otherwise, she's saying this is the end result of all the choices she made in the process of having to fight off the entire rest of the Universe.

flatluigi posted:

Okay I really like this comic but I feel like I'm following maybe a third of what's actually happening, is there by any chance like an annotated read-along thing or should I just go through this entire thread when I decide to reread from the start

It's Labyrinth but the baby is a skeezy college dude, David Bowie is a consortium of demigod tyrants, and Hoggle is an immortal atomic cloud of eyeballs that knows Hokuto Shinken

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 24, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

shown you some funny stuff?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

Mottom just keeps rocketing up the character tier list and doesn't stop.

i'm really pumped to see the other demiurges in detail too now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Redbeard posted:

Was this maybe what the deal with the dead parrot was? Mottom uses the lifespan of parrots as her indicator for when she needs to eat more fruit?

i think she can just look in the mirror for that

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you really beaten if you treat decapitation as a mild inconvenience? :shrug:

If anything it seems like Juggernaut was the one thwarted. He thought he was killing the King of Kings like a huge badass, when the King in fact just couldn't care less for definitions like "alive" or "dead" anymore because they're irrelevant to him.

Zoss is hardly the only unusually active dead guy kicking around Throne; presumably Juggernaut Star et al. were aware that that might not be completely the end of him but he can be assumed to be out of the running for mastery over the multiverse at this point

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i meant more in the sense that being dead doesn't necessarily stop folks from moving around and talking and stuff, but none of them seem particularly lucid. The garbled prophecy delivering Zoss ain't really the Conquering King anymore, just a few leftover bits of him

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Pretty sure that one alt-text implied that the bike and its skellies are just extensions of Juggernaut Star himself.

i'm willing to buy that in ksbd there are people so metal they spontaneously manifest an entourage of skeletons

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

snucks posted:

This is pretty much the exact story that billionaires tell themselves though; I am a just person, the nature of power is to consolidated by ruthless sociopaths, if I conceded this power it would inevitably fall into far worse hands.

p sure nobody's been buying the 'poor helpless demigod' schtick, nor are they supposed to, at least at this point

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

I think her point is more along the lines of "I may rule a hundred thousand universes but I still need to keep up appearances".

someone in the page comments brought up that maybe the reason she looks like a hosed up ghoul when she's among equals isn't because she's got a crappy immortality technique that makes her fall apart every few hours, but because that's what she chooses to be when she can, which yeah drat

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 30, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ixjuvin posted:

I wonder if you could forge an angel's body into a weapon? that sounds like it would be extremely illegal and also anime

they already are so I'm gonna say yes

Hell Juggernaut Star doesn't even bother with forging

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I don't think Mottom's actually trying to win Allison's sympathy, so much as just warn her of what's coming her way as a courtesy. I think Mottom's long past the point of giving a poo poo whether she lives or dies, and actually loathes herself in the same way Allison does, but is too set in her ways to possibly change at this point so she just wants to use Allison as one last attempt to spit in YISUN's eye.

everything she's said this chapter makes her sound desperately, desperately lonely. Allison's the one person in a position to actually get any of it (Mottom can't exactly have a rewarding heart-to-heart with the servant girls) who isn't also an enemy who'd spring at the chance to use any weakness she shows against her

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 31, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in case we needed a reminder that Allison's pretty rad too

SexyBlindfold posted:

Props to Allison for not buying any of that bullshit. I guess being a trope-savvy megadork paid off in the end, huh

e: seriously Mom Om how does the "otherwise Jaggs would destroy me" argument EVEN MAKE SENSE, do you plan at hurling your teapot collection crafted with the death sighs of a million virgins at the Big Guy once he comes barging in or what

actually i'd watch that nvm

presumably effective command at the multiverse at some level still depends on bureaucracy and influence and more than just being able to think people into trees whenever you want, and the loyalty of her administrators depends on maintaining an image

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 1, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

It's possible most of the bureaucracy was inherited from Hastet Om's empire, and yes turning an administration of corrupt and cruel petty chiefs into one of honest and efficient managers is not an easy task; especially when said administration spans hundreds of thousands of worlds.

But she has had uncounted millennia to do that transition and she can handle assassination attempts better than most reformist politicians. Get rid of the worst guys at the top levels, introduce gradual changes, and in a couple million years it could become a mostly-fair empire where it's mostly-okay to live.

yeah she's clearly pretty full of poo poo here she's sort of the ultimate in unaccountable autocrats, but she could easily imagine herself as lacking the authority or the right kind of respect to do what some of her more forceful or respected peers can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

mottom is pretty clearly a human and not a devil

anyway i'm pretty sure devils want to do the opposite of preserving their names

their names are the limitations that define them, they want to maximize their freedom without losing all the form and will and personhood tied to the naming. And their names do decay, somehow, leaving them all decrepit like Vladok

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 1, 2016