Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Allicio N' Chains is amazing and I wish them the best even though Jagganoth is about to demonstrate that no amount of violence can beat him. Even perfect, foolish violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's still early in the book so I don't think they're going to defeat Jag here, or even necessarily find the solution to the conflict he represents. He's going to win this fight as both Allison and WC have said. The question is how effective the escape plan is, and how much it's going to cost to implement it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bussamove posted:

Galaxy bandages and a rainbow aura aren't cool enough for you?

Yeah, that outfit would end up being pretty garish if it was as brightly colored as Allicio's. It could maybe have been a slightly less neutral color but it's the subtle / not so subtle detail work that sells the look.

I get the feeling the next page is going to be the critical one for the early part of this book, no matter what actually happens. Who stinky boy stabs, and how successful he is at it, is probably going to determine how this whole rumble shakes out even if it takes another 10-20 pages to actually conclude.

Unless Maya flies in and interrupts him before we ever find out who he was going to stab in the first place, which is reasonably likely.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's not. Allicio in Chains grabs the cord Solomon was holding, supercharges it with the Rising King energies, that energy travels along the cord and strikes Jagganoth directly in the heart whereupon Incubus follows up in the same place.

That was what I thought it looks like too. It's a very impressive violence and a rad combo move considering none of these three are at all on the same wavelength.

What do we see when the rainbow smoke clears?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well, they definitely managed to hurt Jaggs, which is not something anybody expected to be a thing that can happen right up until a few seconds ago.

Characters in fiction who have "can't be harmed" as one of their defining traits tend to die the first time somebody manages to hurt them, though I'm hoping that isn't what happens here. If he just drops dead right here, it feels like something important would be missing from the narrative.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Coming closer so you can hear him speak is always the wrong move! :ohdear:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aspected Chaos JoJo posing is great.

"Your big combo attack merely triggered an expository cutscene while I transition to the next phase of the fight" is great.

A universe without time is one that can never change. Entropy, disorder, chaos (aspected or otherwise) cannot exist there. Given the present situations of our protagonists, that seems like reason enough to want Jags to not succeed. I don't think he's gonna be talked down from his position in under a minute, though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

I assume the kind of 'without time' Jagganoth means is a world not frozen, but radically freed from linear time; change can occur but you can simply step back before that change. It's a not an unheard-of eschatology, that in the perfected world time will have no power, that liberation is to escape the grip of time.

Entropy requires that time has a direction. If everybody could just re-aim time's arrow at will from their perspective then it would do weird things to their ability to interact with anything outside of themselves, creating a new sort of prison!

Or else such a universe would operate in such a profoundly different way from ours that somebody from our universe could never understand it, which would mean Jags has no idea what he's working towards despite being 100% convinced that it would be better than the status quo.

Or maybe he's just going to turn everybody into happy little beams of light because time has no meaning when you're a photon. :3:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fair, though most things are still happening in a way that we can make sense of because the setting functions mostly like our world does. Just with a lot more anime fights between gods, angels, devils, and noodle aficionados.

Mostly I'm just curious how a timeless universe would be conveyed in the comic. I'm interested to find out even though we probably don't want events to actually play out that way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What is the best way to catch up on the time loop fan theory? I guess I hadn't heard that one previously.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Final Destination, no items

Looks like AC (probably the White Chain part) realized immediately that Jag's answer was Really Bad News and is now prepping the field for the real fight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh yeah it does look like she's lifting the island up rather than creating walls. I guess if you're fighting an unbeatable enemy and there's no volcano nearby that you can use to launch him into space, you must be your own volcano.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zoss not actually having beaten Metatron and then being allowed to play act as supreme badass ruler of all would be a bit of a swerve. I take it that the other demiurges would probably also be surprised to learn that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

WHY ARE PEOPLE OUT FOR A SAIL JESUS CHRIST

They may have been trying to escape the fires in the part of the city that wasn't completely obliterated. And then suddenly some rear end in a top hat went and yanked a mountain out of the sea!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Alternative idea: we know angels crack if they lie, and Metatron told some whoppers.

"Jagganoth, drive these angel feathers into your body and you will become completely indestructible. Also I totally made Zoss think I gave him every name of God, what a sucker.

No, the cracks were always there, why do you ask?"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

I don't know that I consider it the same as omnicide any more than I consider a concussion a murder. If I lose my memories of a couple weeks, have I been killed? Certainly not an entire me, any more than I die when I forget my nightly dreams.

Go back far enough, and if things play out differently in the new loop a bunch of people alive now will never exist at all in the new universe. That may not explicitly be the same as killing them but in a broad sense it seems pretty omnicidal!

I'm also inclined to think that deliberately removing some or all of a person's memories of their lived life by, say, reversing time should be considered tantamount to causing them serious harm or even killing them. Would I be the same person I am now if I was blipped back to high school and the rest of my life played out differently? Probably not, so current me would effectively be dead. I guess the ethics of it get weird of things happen precisely like they did the first time but it doesn't sound like that's how it works in this case.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

habeasdorkus posted:

Solomon David might very well punt Jaggs into the sun. Or both suns. Ofc, it remains to be seen if that'd actually inconvenience Jaggs.

He's both indestructible and he can teleport, so probably not. It would be rad as hell though so I still want to see it get tried.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We're about to ascend from anime fight to full Asura's Wrath.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gog-agog hasn't been overtly contributing to the fight because she's been focused on gathering 111,110 worlds worth of worms directly below their feet (gotta leave one in reserve just in case, can't be too careful).

She's got everybody right where she wants them.

Either that or she's worming the entire multiverse while the other demiurges are distracted with each other.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 29, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What he didn't tell you is that before becoming a Dead Man, his mom was actually Kali and his dad was a hecatonchieres.

Solomon is doing his best to appear unimpressed. It's ok Dave, you can be a little bit in awe. Nobody will blame you.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Maya deciding to sit this one out instead of heeding Meti's lesson to strike without hesitation is probably the wise move. Revenge doesn't do you much good if you get vaporized by a godbrawl in the process.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not usually one for crossover fanfic, but this is both unexpected and really good.

You know things are real when Götterdämmerung is the opening attack.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Solomon looking like he's trying to spontaneously add PERISH to his repertoire.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Looks like we won't be waiting for the worms much longer. I'm not sure what would be more Gog Agog though: something amazing / horrifying that actually makes a difference, or a "whoops! guess that didn't accomplish anything!" after all this buildup.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

I halfway expected her to turn on Solomon and crew.

The night is still young

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Not only did she just no-sell an attack that probably would have straight up killed some of the other demiurges in this fight if it connected, it seems to have made her upset.

Jag is about to meet Serious Gog Agog. You never want to meet Serious Gog Agog.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder how much harm a worms can do.

100 damage, more or less

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm agog at all these Gogs.

nimby posted:

If DBZ taught me anything it's that splitting yourself up to launch a lot more attacks that are individually weaker never works out.

Who said the individual attacks are weaker?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Imagining gog taking over a world like this and it basically looks like the end of evangelion where everyone gets hugged to death by a multitude of Rei clones

Komm Susser Tod but with a kazoo.

In other words

Kalli posted:

Komm Susser Gog

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Man it's gonna be pretty wild when jag gets slightly inconvenienced by all these worms

I mean, probably. But there's also an outside chance of her going "you're surrounded by billions and billions of worms. Only one of them has to reach the shiny hole in your chest."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If Jag can't vaporize one regular Gog, what is he going to do about an entire skybox made out of Gogs?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Eternal Recurrence emans that we're going full Xenosaga.

Honestly KOS-MOS could have been a Tournament of Power contestant.

Alternately, we're going full Dragon's Dogma. After she finally defeats Metatron, Allison wakes up and now she's Jagganoth right after becoming a Dead Man.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bussamove posted:

I finally got the first volume after meaning to read it for decades and wow yeah that pretty much starts at 11 huh.

I love it.

Godspeed on your journey into one of the most influential and beautifully illustrated fantasy comics of the last 30 years. But as others said just note that it can be, uh, deeply distressing at points. The antagonists (and sometimes the protagonists) do NOT pull punches.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

World Famous W posted:

They about to make a third sun

Creating a star centered on Jag would probably inconvenience him more than most forms of attack. And you could probably make one entirely out of Dave's concentrated anger!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dave has gone full DBZ, moving so fast all you see is afterimages.

And I'm glad to see grampa and stinky tag teaming, but even if you guys break that arm he's got at least 99 more.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'd be very surprised if Abaddon actually reset the events of the comic without them being un-reset soon enough. But then, I hate the 'everything you did was undone, character development rolled back' approach to that kind of storytelling, it creates a huge disconnect with the characters for me.

But I trust Abaddon quite a bit to tell an interesting and compelling story.

I mean, if this fight does end with Zoss going "poo poo, I'd better hit the history reset button" Allison is just going to Royal her way back into remembering everything again to set up the finale.

No, if you want to make everybody REALLY mad, get to the point where Jagganoth is an instant away from total victory and Zoss has his hand over the button. Then Allison hits pause and whips out The Pirate Movie ending.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Maybe outrageous violence actually is enough to beat the guy immune to violence if all your friends* join in on it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

thechosenone posted:

Wait, is this Allison being a liberal and killing the attempted revolution with the help of the bourgeoisie, only to be undercut by their combined might now that they realize they must represent an armed front to prevent themselves from being almost toppled like this again? Are Allison and co gonna radicalize from this to become Jagganoth, but perhaps with better messaging?

Them saying jags was bad when he was actually good would make this pretty parallel to stuff, and ironic. It would also explain why Abbadon expected everyone to get pissed.

Well, Meti did try to tell people that outrageous violence is really dumb.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

pretty sure if anything the liberal approach would be to confront the entity explicitly literally trying to kill you on the battlefield of ideas and convince them they’re wrong through the overwhelming power of rational debate

My 3,000 Cubit Spear's name is Rational Debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So which of these ridiculous dumbasses will be the one who just can't help themselves and tells Gog-agog to gently caress off?

Not that it matters too much in the grand scheme of things. After a drop like that there's a 100% chance that somebody is going to mess this up!