Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

thrakkorzog posted:

Just as an FYI, Amazon is selling a KotFE starter pack, which gives you access to all the current expansion packs, three months of game time, and $20 worth of Cartel coins. So it's a $65 value for $40. Not trying to shill for Amazon, just pointing out a decent deal there that a lot of goons used when it first came out.

(And if you already bought the SoR starter pack off Amazon, Amazon will tell you you've already bought the one time code. So no love there.)

I just grabbed this as my sub expired. Great pack, plus Amazon mailed me a tiny rancor.

Hold me closer tiny rancor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

StashAugustine posted:

If you're playing a trooper in cartel market armor and aren't using the goofy red-and-yellow KOTOR armor I don't even know

It me

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

arisu posted:

I'm thinking of starting this game back up to take advantage of the 12x exp before it ends, finally get myself all 4 buffs.

I'm also thinking of finally transferring off PotF and onto a PvE server. World PvP can be fun sometimes but man do I not want to get ganked when I just wanna do my dailies.

How's Jedi Covenant's Republic goon guild looking? Good number of players? Or is it pretty dead compared to Imperial?

It's more active now because a bunch of goons are trying to crank out Republic characters before 12x xp goes away. I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see it stay semi-active for a bit after the expansion drops too, as people play KotFE from both sides.

E: That reminds me, would there be much interest in a few Pub goons donating some stuff to tart up the clubhouse? Getting a mailbox, a bank and a GTN in there would be helpful for goons running alts and stuff.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

If anyone Repside can give Potentius access to decorate the guild safe house, I'll get to work tarting the place up today.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Specifically, the Sorcerer/Sage is always ranged. Assassin/Shadow is melee. Both Warrior/Knight versions are melee.

The Focus/Fury spec for Knights and Warriors expands out to a 10m range. That's as far away as they get.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

My favourite is Hero of Tython. Everyone has saved Tython as part of SoR now.

Yeah but I did it before it was cool

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Does anyone have a rough guess how much the Covert Energy set would set me back on JC? I want bare hands, drat it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Chest - 4k
Boots - 75k
Gloves - 250k
Belt - 500k
Bracers - 2 million

The boots and gloves are their own separate 1 item sets though, so you don't need to buy them all to make -(infinite gloves)

Oh thank gently caress

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dely Apple posted:

I am a datacron master, and now that means my opinion is heard by the devs. DEVS MAKE THIS SABER HAPPEN.

You forgot the picture.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

MikeyLikesIt posted:

People's choice: DS Jaesa or LS Jaesa.

I'm running a LS Sith Warrior

LS all the way then.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I just threw some cheapish Crime Lord,s cartel packs onto the GTN if anyone wants to snag a bargain.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ok republic goons, I've got access to tart up the Republic's premiere stronghold for erotic role play. As such, please donate any decorations you'd like to see in our home away from home! Twi'lek strippers and quality of life improvements like GTN consoles encouraged.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Great news for those of you ideologically correct enough to play Republic side: the Goon Squad glorious headquarters on sunny Coruscant now features a GTN station, mail, Legacy Bank (ok that was there before) and a few vendors to offload junk. Also: rugs!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It's tough to find boots that look properly Star Wars. Pretty much everybody in all the movies wears boots that are knee-high and relatively unadorned, and it's like you can pick one or the other in this game. The Theron Shan boots look about right, if a little bulky, so I've gotten a lot of mileage out of those things. I like the new Thexan boots too, but GTN prices are crazy.

The Drelliad boots are good for this - mid-calf unobtrusive single colour. They're also unobtainable for Imperials.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

They are? Pretty sure the boots I used on my white agent outfit earlier were drelliad boots off the gtn:

I'm at work so I can't check, though.

You'd think if nothing else a pub character could mail a pair of drelliads to an imp character of theirs and then put them on the gtn.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they're class restricted to Knights and Smugglers. My Knight levelled to 50 dressed as a smuggler (to throw the Emperor off, you understand).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Hey, good tip. I never took much notice of that set.

Edit: Good belt for a Jedi, too. I'll probably just buy the set on the cartel market next time there's a sale.

The whole thing makes for good Jedi gear, I think I have a new purchase goal once I finish getting the speedsuit

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

It's just occurred to me how massively loving stupid it it to invest money into the companion affection system when it will get changed tomorrow or the next day when 4.0 hits. Apparently a media embargo on the new companion stuff lifts then too.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I'm just pissed off because I spent like 100,000 credits this afternoon and ran through all of the conversations for which I was eligible and T7 is only on around 8,500 affection. loving come on, how is this an entertaining system?

Really hoping (against hope, I know) that Bioware's plan around this allows for people like me who've come back to the game recently for 12xp and can't afford to buy the love of their droids.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Bioware posted:

Class Companion conversations will now unlock based upon class story progression, rather than affection/influence thresholds.

This will need to be checked but I'm pretty sure it will allow you to unlock the Presence bonuses just by hitting 50.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Also

SKY COQ posted:

It's just occurred to me how massively loving stupid it it to invest money into the companion affection system when it will get changed tomorrow or the next day when 4.0 hits. Apparently a media embargo on the new companion stuff lifts then too.

Vindication tastes so good.

No gifts for you Sergeant Rusk.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Companion weapon changes posted:

•Gault Rennow now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•Kaliyo Djannis now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•Lieutenant Felix Iresso now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•Qyzen Fess now only uses Techblades.
•Zenith now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•T7-01 now only uses Blaster Rifles.
•Andronikos Revel now only uses a single Blaster Pistol.
•Lieutenant Pierce now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•Corso Riggs now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•Risha now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•Aric Jorgan now uses Blaster Rifles and Sniper Rifles.
•Yuun now only uses Techblades.
•C2-N2 now only uses a single Blaster Pistol.
•2V-R8 now only uses a single Blaster Pistol.

Hmmmmm.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tech staves are dumb as poo poo anyway.

So are saberstaves. Looking forward to switching all of my Jedi companions down to single blades.

ALSO: With the sheer number of companions we'll be picking up post-KOTFE, I'm wondering if the game will still keep us in tiny ships.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

Saberstaves are fine.

For a clown

In the circus

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tuskin38 posted:

"All players' Affection totals will be converted directly into Influence at a 1:1 ratio, so you keep the points that you’ve gained thus far; however, Influence goes beyond the previous 10,000 limit for Affection. You’ll be able to gain even more Influence with each of your companions!"

So even if you had done it, it still would have mattered, some.

Only if I ever planned on using those companions in combat. I just want to see their stories and grab the achievement/Presence bonus.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

With cross-class companions, I do wonder which female companions we'll see the most of barring romance issues and any new plot-important female companions. I'm guessing Kira, at least Republic-side. Maybe Jaesa imp-side?

Ensign Temple can finally get a proper master!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Just logged in to see that some lovely people have donated more lights and a Rishi Idol to the Republic headquarters. :3:

Slowly but surely, we will surpass TNG.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

sassassin posted:

I haven't played any of the other classes so I can't compare them.

I'm just finding it very strange and offputting that the writing for the main story thread in an MMO - games that feature multiple different game-modes, group content, social aspects, base building etc. - is so deliberately focused on driving the player forward at pace through a single quest line, discouraging the player from exploring any of these other features. Everything is an emergency, nothing can wait, by explicit design.

It's an incredibly simple thing to make the next quest in a chain "meet me at x when you're ready, and we'll begin your next lesson". Basic awareness of the kind of project you are writing for should tell you that natural breathing spaces between adventures are important, so that a player can feel encouraged to go and do the things they want to do.

That the Jedi Knight story (and apparently that of all the other classes as well) take the opposite approach is baffling. Either you commit to the narrative you're given and become undergeared and (with the new xp values) underlevelled, or you take time to catch up on things and the story falls apart. Obviously the superweapon will wait for me to stop it, but why shine a spotlight on that?

It's bad writing. Even films don't maintain the same level of urgency for 90 minutes plus, and when watching those you don't have the choice to go shoot wamp rats for the local dirt farmers' last 100 credits.

The thing with the Jedi Knight (and I'm not excusing it, you do raise a valid point) is that the entire thrust of the story is pretty much casting you as Chosen Bioware Protagonist 3. By the end of the JK story I certainly had a sense that the Knight is the main agent of change in the game, so you do get a bit of the 'Most Important Man in the Galaxy' effect.

Tuskin38 posted:

Are the login servers also down for maintenance, or did they crash with everyone trying to start downloading? I tried about 30 minutes after it started before I left for school but I couldn't log in.

Down for me as well. According to the SWTOR Twitter they went down to roll out 4.0 an hour ago.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can someone give me the idiot's guide to how to play a vengeance jugg to the level of minimal competence?

I tried reading the dulfy guide but it's a damned wizard's grimoire, I don't need that level of detail. I got as far as "before we begin, you must commit these four major procs and one minor proc to memory" and gave up. Also it's only available for jedi knights so I don't know what half the abilities are without scrolling back up to the definition.

You have three attacks that burn enemies. Keep them on cool down at all times.

One of the three attacks resets the cool down on your channeled saber strike. Use it once you've got all your burns loaded on the target.

For fighting groups, load your burns onto a single strong target and then use the massive AOE attack that replaces slam to spread the effect to all other enemies.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

NOOOOOOOO what the fuuuuuck!!!

Kira can't use a single-bladed lightsaber anymore!

This really, really bothers me. Like a lot more than it should. That's one of my favorite characters that I'm not even going to bother leveling to 65 in the near future.

WHY god drat it? This is exactly the wrong loving thing to do right now, when companion gear supposedly no longer matters! Why the gently caress is this happening?

Flag on the play! Bad move! BAAAAD MOOOOOVE!

gently caress

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Yeah, exactly, why take these options away now, when they make the most sense? It's just like how you used to be able to give Corso his favorite blaster, which was a big deal to him in the story... maybe at the sacrifice of a few measly damage points since he's not using a slightly more powerful rifle, but it was a fair trade and he was still totally functional in combat.

Apparently the force user companions can't use vibroblades anymore either. This has royally pissed off at least one customer on the forums who paid real-life money for a cathar war staff for a companion.

Also I guess they took away HK's assassinate ability and some unique stuff from Treek? That's not really fair to the people who put a lot of money and/or work into getting unique companions.

I'm genuinely pleased about a lot of the changes and looking forward to digging into the new story, but wow this is off to a bogus start.

It's a bit weird. Hopefully Bioware will respond to the criticism, it seems like an easy win.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

Judging by how hung up everyone seems to be about companion weapons I'm going to guess that most of you didn't get early access.

Stuck at work, haven't been able to launch anything yet.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Oh cool, Ye olde frozen cutscene bug is still around and loving me over

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Up to chapter 4 in the expansion. No story spoilers but everything is really solid so far. Quality of life changes are great, story seems fun and interesting and new, companions are interesting.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Beeme posted:

Man, this new jedi knight armor is so sweet it makes me want to start one. Why can't we juggs get armor this sweet. I'm trawling through Tor Fashion trying to come up with an outfit but it's rough. I can't deal standing side by side with these plot npcs in their nicely designed armor while I have this mismatched set of clown gear. :smith:

That's rad as gently caress, where does it drop? I'm maining a JK through the expansion and can confirm that it retains its status as Most Important Class.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Oh hey, if you're looking for a use for those Fallen Empire banners you've had mailed to all of your alts, can I suggest donating them to the Republic guild bank? I'll do some more decorating tonight.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

PSA: You can gently caress up and accidentally sell Nico's duster and blasters.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Eh if you do, just make a new toon and send them their copy and then delete.

Nice, thanks.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

gently caress's sake. I sit down to play and the servers go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

vanbags posted:

No, I mean speccing DPS and using DPS gear, but equipping a Shield for swapping to defensive stance when shits get hairy. Or is your shield rating going to be so poo poo from the DPS gear that it won't matter that you're wearing a Focus?

You have enough defensive cool downs as a Juggernaut that it shouldn't matter. If you're copping too much damage in Juyo form, suggest switching spec so that you're in Shii-Cho and doing sick burst damage instead.

• Locked thread