Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Any of the companion affection missions worth doing? I've mostly ignored companion affection and I'll have a lot of work to do to see any of that content, don't know if any of it is worth the effort

If you do Vette's missions, she will eventually track down her long-lost sister who turns out to be enslaved as a prostitute on Nar Shaddaa. The game gives you the option to hire her to service your entire crew. Vette really doesn't like it if you do that.

LazyDivey posted:

So I've been playing this game for about 3 days now and really liking it story wise but I don't get why they made this a MMO in the first place. I have little desire to interact with other players but tried to do a dungeon/flashpoint and it was a horrible experience. I guess I'll stick with it for a while just to enjoy the story and play with alts.

Working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So who wants to run Explosive Conflict tonight?

One of the white whales I've been chasing on and off is the achievement for collecting a shitload of speeders that awards the "Gearhead" title. I've got a handful left, but the one I'll need help with drops from EC HM. It is, sadly, not even a guaranteed drop, but I figure tonight is a good night for me to fart around and try to knock it out. I have no idea what HM EC entails these days or how many people I need, but hopefully Medullah can chime in.

I also need the speeder that's a random drop from 55 HMs, so I may try to run some of those as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The Desler Nomad, it's the only Desler I still need. With that and the Praxon from EC, I'm only missing the three Tirsas, two of which are trivial to get.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is the post-base game content significantly different between factions, or is it basically the same story with palette-swapped support characters? I forgot that I also have a 50 Trooper that I should probably try to get to the cap as well

The Makeb story is notably different for each faction, but everything after that merges together. The support characters aren't even palette-swapped. They're the same ones.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

The one thing I don't get is that I haven't seen any of the hypercrates on the GTN for less than 6.5 million. I guess the gold sellers have not got their hands on them yet?

I saw 4 or 5 up this morning for 2.5 million, but they disappeared pretty quick.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rafzakael posted:

I've tried Dulfy, Reddit, and Google and haven't found anything thats remotely up-to-date aside from the Dulfy stuff for PvE. I understand the expansion is near so a few things will change, but it's still kind of frustrating that I can't find any solid PvP stuff.

The fact that you can't find anything current about PVP should tell you something about the state of SWTOR PVP.

Sorry. :shrug:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

sassassin posted:

Synthweaving or Artificing?

No one cares, and it doesn't matter.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's a viable option.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

go3 posted:

my Sorcerer is sociopathic as all hell; does the dark side points Im racking up have any effects/detriments other than pointing out I had a terrible childhood?

You'll start getting red eyes and looking like you've been punched in the mouth a bunch as your dark side level increases. These visible effects can be turned off if you like so that no one has to know you had a terrible childhood.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TLM3101 posted:

edit: Oh! Serevin on Voss is actually pretty chill as well, if you play your cards right.

He has his own problems later.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So I spent most of last night running across planets killing hundreds of dudes and monsters for e-points.

Probably gonna do it again tonight.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I don't think they've sold that for a couple years.

I tried Bluestacks a while back, and while it did work, it also required you to purchase it or download their "Sponsored App of the Day"(TM) every time you use it. It wasn't worth the hassle, so I removed the key and uninstalled it after I'd bought my Rhythm Augmentation Droid.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Just added to OP.

Like anyone's going to read that.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Almost done with work for the day, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to get drunk tonight and do completely pointless poo poo in SWTOR or get really drunk tonight and do completely pointless poo poo in SWTOR.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Since it's character posting time, I dug up some looks that I've been rather fond of.

Commando:

Barbarian lord:

Special agent:

Dark Council member:

Classic juggernaut:

Leather daddy:

???:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Info from the forums about what crafting stuff is getting converted into what: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8517285#edit8517285

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Corzen posted:

Captain Marvel was never a man. :colbert:

You realize that the Captain Marvel pictured there has been around since 1940 and used to outsell Superman when they were both at the peak of their popularity?

Eimi posted:

Oh She Hulk, she's the awesome fourth wall breaking lawyer right? Why isn't she in a movie?

Because she would work much better in a TV show.

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, the thing that jumped out to me was what if some very unfortunate and clueless [adult] person flirts with this goofy, fun-loving doofus of a[n adult] superhero? That poo poo was weird enough in Big.

In that case, the writer, who is in complete control of everything that occurs in the fictional universe they create, has written some creepy poo poo and should be prevented from publishing any of it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Having played through all nine story chapters, my review for KOTFE follows:

As a Star Wars game... KOTFE is a pretty decent Mass Effect game.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
For those who might not have noticed, the Cartel Bazaar area on Fleet has been updated to add the event vendors from the Gree and Rakghoul events, including the Jawa who sells mounts and pets.. They're next to the BBA vendors.

In addition, there's a vendor who sells the items from the first Rakghoul event and the Chevin scavenger hunt, which have been unavailable for years now. This finally makes it possible to collect all the outfits for the "Sharp Dresser" achievement and title if you didn't pick those up at the time (well before said achievements were added).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I hate PvP in most MMOs and have never touched it in this game.

I hate PVP in every MMO. I'm still Valor 62 on my merc somehow.

It says a lot more about my inability to find something productive to do with my free time than the quality of SWTOR PVP.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

190 mods are as high as you're getting without raiding. Luckily there's now several options for main hand drops from ops so no need to stalk poor Revan.

Apparently you can get a 220 mainhand from HM Soa? Even with level scaling and re-balancing and what have you, I'm pretty sure we'll be facerolling through EV again in no time.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It seems like leveling up a character almost exclusively with heroic missions would be fun, easy, and ludicrously fast, like faster than the 12x boost, as long as you have one or two friends to drag along. Not only that, but this is interesting content that we mostly skipped before. And there are so many of these old heroics, you could go for hours without repeating one. This alone has made the game so much better. We're all chomping at the bit to keep doing heroics together.

It's almost like grouping up with people and playing social content together is fun! Now, if only a couple hundred thousand other people could come to this realization maybe this could be an MMO again.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Is anyone actually going after the post-chapter 9 content with multiple characters? I'm really trying to think of a good reason to bring my alts through, and falling short. It seems like if you've already got all your companions and Treek or HK-51, you've got 6 crafters + 1 active covered. Sure having the other companions would be cool, and eventually maybe I'll go through KOTFE with them, but I can't see doing the influence grind with the large group of other options with more than one.

Gonna go armchair game designer for a minute:

I think Bioware made a couple of missteps with KOTFE. The story structure obviously draws on the success of Telltale and similar adventure games (Darth Marr will remember that), but there is an inherent difference between those and an MMO. The single player adventure game is meant to be played multiple times to experience different branches and see what your choices lead to. Recent release Life is Strange even goes a step further by including time rewinding as an in-game mechanic. You're able to rewind and re-do conversations and actions to see the immediate payoff. With the MMO format, it's impossible to reload a saved game, so your only option to experience a different path is to run a new character through. Given that all this content starts at 60, that's a significant investment of either time or money.

They also missed the chance to integrate your legacy characters as part of the alliance. Like you say, there's no incentive to build up the alliance on multiple characters because of all the repetitive work involved. What if instead, all your characters were involved in building the same alliance? Work you do on different characters would still be an incremental contribution to your overall goals, and it would give the sense of your legacy all working together which is kind of the theme of this expansion. There would be some issues with how to handle the pre-KOTFE/KOTFE split, but nothing that couldn't be worked out.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

Truth be told I don't think that it will matter all that much.

This is very, very likely, but I'm going to wait and see what happens before going full critic on it.

Fojar38 posted:

Honestly, I'm fine with this. As excellent as KOTFE is from a single-player standpoint, it remains an MMO, and so it is constrained by certain rules, such as "The PC must always be playable." I don't think anyone with reasonable expectations was going into this expecting a full single-player Bioware/Telltale experience.

The problem is that they're ending up with the worst of both worlds. The storytelling is handicapped by the MMO mechanics, and the MMO grouping experience is held back by the single-player story focus.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

I disagree. I personally am doing more grouping now than I did prior to the Xpack and I don't see why anyone would be doing less than they were before.

But are you grouping because of the story or in spite of it? This update made a bunch of quality of life improvements to the MMO side of things, like level scaling and FP adjustments, but that has nothing to do with the story. I don't think anybody is grouping up to run through Chapter 1-9.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dexo posted:

You grouped for the story quests in the original SWOTOR?

The absolute best experience I've ever had out of years of MMOs was getting together a regular group to level together in SWTOR. We got together one night a week, hung out on Teamspeak, drank a lot, ran through planetary quests, heroics, flashpoints, whatever looked fun. Most people have never had this experience, so they don't even know how much fun they're missing out on.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Also can you repeat planetary conquest goals? Like crafting is what I am good at but it looks like you can only do it once?

There's two types of goals. The ones with the little "X" next to the point total can be completed only once per legacy, so account for that if you're doing conquest on more than one character. The other ones with the little infinity symbol can be repeated. These will change up depending on the week. I think they've moved away from having crafting as a repeatable goal because some guilds were just grinding crafting non-stop for the week and nobody else could compete without doing the same.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

A character can only do one Kingpin per week so it's better to spread them around if you want to do more than one a week.

You can only do any particular kingpin once per week, but you can do a kingpin each day if you have more than one unlocked on a character.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Second Sun posted:

That Dr. Lokin quest is impossible. Stacks of 99 of the mats are well over 500k, and you need 800 of them. I'm too space poor :(

You'd be better off waiting a couple of weeks instead. You can't finish that mission until the rakghoul event rolls back around anyway. When it does, you can grind out DNA canisters and other drops by doing the event stuff to hand in instead of bio mats. I did all the turn-ins only using rakghoul drops I'd stored in my bank from previous events.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of UI improvements... I guess it's not something that many people will run into, but a few nights ago when I went to grant a stronghold key to a guild member, I had to page through an unsorted list of guild members 10 at a time to find that specific character.

Why is it that I can search for a completely random person to send a key to my personal stronghold, but I can't search within my own guild?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jedi posted:

If we hit our personal goal, which reward should we pick for the guild? Engineering, Command, or Logistics?

It's not really a big deal which since we need tons of all of them. I'm leaning towards Command to get the first command deck unlocked, since that's the single biggest boost to our decoration limit. Whichever you pick, if you're contributing it towards the guild, put it in the guild bank under the tab labeled "Oedzi's Stash".

We'll need almost 50 more frameworks total to unlock everything on the ship, and it takes 50 encryptions for each of those. The sticking point continues to be credits, as each new room costs 5 million credits.

I sold one of the new raid mats over the weekend for 3.2 million and tossed that into the bank, but prices on those are already dropping. I'm betting they'll stabilize around 4-500k where MMGs used to be. Even at that point though, if we can continue to sell those as a reliable income, it'll be enough to fund guild repairs and still make progress on the ship. So for the near future at least, our organized TNG raids (those that me or Medullah get together on a regular basis) will be taking the Dark Matter Catalysts to sell for guild funds. If folks do pick-up runs on off nights or alts or whatever to get their own loot, that's fine too.

Once we get some more cash in the bank, I'll be looking to set up some runs on the planetary commanders for more encryptions. With level syncing, people don't even have to be max level to contribute to these anymore.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 27, 2015

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

My question is still whether your screwing yourself out of a potential recruitment mission later if you choose to recruit someone not currently available

Folks on reddit are saying that not all companions are showing up at the terminal, so they're speculating that maybe the ones you'll recruit later are being held back.

Or maybe bugs. Either or.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Why go to Ziost?
Nothing remains there but ash
...and a sweet bike jump.

So a couple days ago, nonentity dropped an Akk Dog companion voucher in the guild bank. My first thought was "Score! Free akk dog!" but almost immediately after, I realized that it could be put to much better use. For example, as the grand prize of...

THE FIRST ANNUAL THAT'S NO GOON KOTFE-INSPIRED HAIKU CONTEST

As the more cultured among you already know, the haiku is a Japanese poetic form consisting of one line with 5 syllables, one with 7, and a third with 5. Typically they are about nature, but for this contest I want you to use the haiku format to compose your best thoughts about the KOTFE expansion. It can be about the story, new or changed mechanics, funny bugs, or anything else that was added with KOTFE. By way of inspiration and example, I have interspersed my own haiku about SoR throughout this post.

What do I see on
the chest of yonder Wookiee?
Doctor Venture droid.

The overall winner as chosen by me and some other judges (to be determined) will receive the Akk Dog companion unlock to use as they like. Flip it for mad cash? Name him Poochy and go on a series of magical adventures together? The possibilities are endless! Other prizes will be awarded for particularly noteworthy and entertaining entries! Note that I can only deliver said prizes to characters on the Jedi Covenant server.

Revan is back... but
I could have sworn I killed him
at that Foundry place.

Entry guidelines:
  • Submit your entries via email to NipponophileSA at gmail, include your SA forum name and SWTOR character name. I will be removing the names before forwarding to the other judges to reduce bias.
  • Only 5 entries per person, so bring the good stuff. Any haiku not meeting the 5-7-5 guidelines will be rejected and the sender mocked.
  • The contest will run for one week to allow everyone time to get their impressions of KOTFE together. The deadline for submissions is 12:00 noon Central US time on November 3rd.
Dozens of people
braving the wilds of Rishi
waiting on meat trees.

So go play some KOTFE for inspiration, then send me your best work! I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

E: Also, what is the reason behind the price differences for purple tier 5 companion gifts? Some were selling at 25k, and others were at 5k. Is it the type? Or are certain "rares" more rare than others?

It's due to the type of gifts. There are several companions who give big influence gains for Weapons or Cultural Artifacts. Things like Courting or Republic Memorabilia aren't nearly as useful.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

So tomorrow Explosive Conflict is in group finder and I HAVE to see how badly it's been nerfed. 8pm EDT. If we get enough interested people we can do it 16m to Kephess and then split for group finder rewards.

I'll be around for this. From what I've read on other forums, it got nerfed super hard. Toth and Zorn don't get their buff from being close to each other. Hovertanks don't use Incinerate Armor or Double Destruction. Kephess doesn't use Breath of the Masters, doesn't pull people in before doing his giant purple circle, and the Trandoshan waves come out slower. It should be pretty much tank and spank.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So for some reason lots of people have been coming back to play this game all of a sudden. I know, it's weird.

That's No Goon is getting full. Leaving aside the logistics of a relatively low character limit in a game that encourages you to play all the alts for all the stories, we need to take measures to ameliorate the cycles of booting inactives and inevitably re-inviting them.

We're starting an alt guild!

We'll get the logistics worked out later tonight, but it should be set up and rolling by this evening. Any characters that you aren't actively playing should be moved over to the new guild, since right now we're down to purging characters who haven't logged in for 20 days. I don't think the population boom will last forever, so I'm expecting more of a holding area than an active second guild, but if the situation changes we can certainly adjust going forward.

So here's the part where we solicit funny names from everyone. One of them may or may not be chosen as the alt guild name.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Can always use the pre-existing Fleet Maintenance joke guild I made. :)

You know, this is probably a better idea. OK, change of plans.

EVERYONE BUG MEDULLAH ON THEIR ALTS FOR INVITES TO HIS GUILD

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Just a reminder
about the haiku contest.
I am bored at work.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Trip report: Story mode EC

So it's not completely hilariously faceroll easy despite the mechanic nerfs. It didn't help that we went in a little overconfident and did some really sloppy trash pulls, or that we were running 16-man which gives everything stupid amounts of HP. Still, both Zorn/Toth and Kephess were a cakewalk. Both have had their tank swap mechanics removed, so the fights are entirely based around attacking the right thing at the appropriate time and staying out of red circles.

Tanks and minefield caused us problems for various reasons, even with the removal of most of their mechanics. It took us a few tries on tanks mostly to work out positioning. We had several folks doing it for the first time, and most of us vets were half-remembering the fight. Since Double Destruction and Incinerate Armor don't happen, there's no need for a tank swap. During the shield phase, shields will spawn in all 6 possible locations, so you don't have to locate the active one. Minefield surprised us by having the probe droid throw out an Explosive Probe that was one-shotting people, which I didn't expect to see in a story mode. It hit me for about 170k. Once we figured that out and started cleansing it, we did OK.

All in all, a fun time. It was neat to run something as a full 16-man goon group for a change, and we even had to leave out a couple interested people. EC is the op I was most concerned about, mechanics-wise, but it's perfectly doable so long as you're being a little careful. It's necessary to get back into the mentality of "Oh yeah, this is a raid. I might wanna CC a thing." instead of Leeroying it up. I hope to see more new faces coming along with us in the future. Story mode ops seem to be at a good place right now, where they're easy enough to clear reliably but not so much that there's no challenge. They will also shower you with XP and crystals for gear upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Wait, mercs get an interrupt now???

• Locked thread