Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm just excited to have some new adventures for my gunslinger, the legendary outlaw Magnitude. Alts are fun and all but there's nothing that quite matches having new story content to do with your main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wtftastic posted:

Thanks captain genius! In case its never happened to you, its really easy to accidentally mouse over them in the course of reading the thread.

Most of us want to actually see the stuff for ourselves instead of obsessively reading through the datamined poo poo so that there's actually something new to look forward to.

If you don't want to even risk accidentally mousing over a spoiler, either use page up/page down/arrow keys to navigate threads about products that have material currently in development or don't read them at all. I don't see "NO SPOILERS THREAD" in the title name, do you?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A lot of the stories sag in Act 2, but get better when the final adversary you face off with at the end of Act 3 shows up. The Trooper's enemy, though, doesn't really measure up. Between that and the schizophrenic tone of the story, I didn't care for it much. Still better than BH, though, because I wasn't left wondering why I kept doing jobs for these idiots.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Medullah posted:

Right, they'll go live on 10/27. I jumped the gun on the OP a bit so I could refine it through the month.

I think 4.0 changes like companion equipment and mastery are going in with 4.0 on 10/20, when early access players get in. It would be real, real weird otherwise.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I used the original lightsaber up until 50 but if there's one you like the looks of, you can replace it. There's nothing inherently special about that lightsaber compared to other oranges. But you SHOULD find a set of cheap orange gear to wear so you can do this next part:

Always take comms when you're levelling. One modification piece is two comms, so one reward of 12 comms allows you to completely refit three pieces of gear, therefore it's much better than taking one piece of gear.

And if you don't like the way your adaptive getup looks, you get one appearance set for free, so that's an easy fix.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Unrelated: is there any eyepatch headgear? I could swear I've seen it, but I can't find it from googling or searching the GTN.

This is my RD-07A Viper headgear:

Does that help?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I googled "swtor eyepatch" and that was one of the pieces that came up, but i couldn't find it on the GTN. Not sure if it's because it's rare or if it's because of what the posters above mentioned; either way I'm out of luck, guess I'll play some slots on the guild ship and figure that out.

Unfortunately, it's a world drop. You could just buy a whole bunch of boxes from the Hoth comm vendor maybe?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The only thing less important to SWTOR than raiding... Is PvP.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

randombattle posted:

Hmm maybe I'll focus on the good classes and not worry about smuggler and poo poo.

:smug:ler is too good for people like you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Possible, but that would make things awkward for the Bounty Hunter considering they kill a descendant of Visas as the big boss of the BH's Act 2. :v:

Or Darth Marr is a big fan because you eliminated a threat to his inheritance.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheCenturion posted:

That and so they don't have to record each line eight times with different titles. "Hello, Emperor's Wrath/Dark Councilor/Mando/Cipher/Knight/Master/Major/smug bastard, and what's new?"

They call me the Voidhound thank you very much.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tuskin38 posted:

Reminder, to be qualified for Early Access you need to have been subscribed SINCE August 10th.

It's actually a little more specific than that.

quote:

To qualify for the Early Access Bonus, you must have qualified for each of the four rewards by being a subscriber on each of the 4 listed reward dates. Once you qualify you may enter and play Knights of the Fallen Empire on October 20, 2015, seven (7) days prior to live launch on October 27, 2015.

So you just have to be subbed on August 10, August 31, Sept 30 and Oct 19. If you missed a day or two in there because you have a non-recurring sub set up or you changed credit cards, but you're still getting all the rewards, you're good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think rotations will change too much, looking at what's being added.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

pentyne posted:

My bad, I meant gear and everything related given that its switching to "Mastery" and eliminating all other stats. I'm still not clear on how KotFE will work for each story class other then blankly assigning the title of "Outsider" and making all responses the same across all classes/races/genders.

They're not eliminating ALL other stats, they're consolidating Cunning/Aim/Strength/Willpower into one stat, because there's no reason for any class to use their non-primary stat. The only other stat that's getting consolidated is surge, into crit.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 19, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

pentyne posted:

What? Like, all companion stuff is set to 0? I have a fuckload of lvl 5 gifts I expect to sell for insane prices as everyone tries to level companion affection before they start the KotFE stuff.

No, preexisting companion affection converts straight to influence. You're getting several new companions so the gift market should explode.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it will probably follow the model we have in Shadow of Revan where there's an "adventure area" where you navigate to get to various areas and also where daily quests are done, but basically everything of consequence happens in an instance of some sort.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Nadia's helped a lot, in my opinion, by her showing up long before she joins as a companion. There's a pretty good character arc to her that happens through more than off-screen adventures, and that's more than can be said for most companions - it's all about her personal growth and journey.

One of my favorite characters in TOR, and definitely my pick for the character with the best story arc to her. Lokin and Forex are funny as hell, but they don't really change throughout their conversation lines.

Risha is the same way, you interact with her for all of Act 1 before she joins you as a companion, and she's definitely a stronger character for it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

I really hope Lucas and pals don't gently caress this one up.

George Lucas can't hurt us any more. We escaped from him and he's in the past now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Corzen posted:

Captain Marvel was never a man. :colbert:

You're forgetting Mar-Vell, the Kree dude who everyone only remembers for dying and then later Carol decided to take his name because she felt like a promotion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

thrakkorzog posted:

Yes, technically she was the third Captain Marvel. But Carol Danvers was Captain Marvel for almost 30 years, so she's the default Captain Marvel for Marvel comics.

Carol has only been Captain Marvel since the DeConnick book launched five or so years ago. She's the default Captain Marvel because she's the one Marvel has decided to make a movie about.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Baron Porkface posted:

Do companions need a weapon equipped?

Yes but the stats don't matter.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I hope we can recruit Guss in KotFE and in the intervening five years, he has actually become a mean Jedi, and by that I mean a Darth. Darth Guss, Dark Lord of the Sith.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are you in early access? Rewards don't unlock until you get into KotFE. If you've only been subbed since October you're gonna have to wait a week.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah Treek is no longer stupidly good, which is nice if you're sick of hearing Ewok noises.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Berke Negri posted:

Without getting too spoilerly, how does recruiting other classes companions work out? As in, are they chilling in your ship now or do they go into the -Followers- tab and they're just chilling in space bars across the galaxy?

The new hub has a large instanced area for different missions and such. Your companions hang out in different parts of it. When you get your ship back, it will be empty except for Treek and HK, if you have them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Promethium posted:

Companion story scenes haven't ever changed as far as I know. Female Jedi Knight and Female Smuggler both have an official ceremony as an on-screen option.

I know the Male Smuggler can marry Risha which means you become a King but I don't remember anyone else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Medullah posted:

I did Inquisitor and it makes me a bit sad that they didn't do (Inquisitor and KOTFE story spoilers) any references to him having experience with ghosts in his head. I DID love that they called me Darth Imperious though. I chose light side and released the ghosts are the end of his story, I imagine if I'd done dark side and kept them Valykorian might be a bit crowded in my head

I think my biggest "missed opportunity from class quest material" feeling was that when you go to an off-the-grid open port, it's not Port Nowhere, but an entirely new place. I always wanted Port Nowhere to be emphasized more in the Smuggler story.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nipponophile posted:

The absolute best experience I've ever had out of years of MMOs was getting together a regular group to level together in SWTOR. We got together one night a week, hung out on Teamspeak, drank a lot, ran through planetary quests, heroics, flashpoints, whatever looked fun. Most people have never had this experience, so they don't even know how much fun they're missing out on.

So here's the thing about that: I don't play video games around a schedule. I do it when I have time. That's why people like solo content, they can do it when they want. I used to do poo poo like that, then I realized how much I hated having to mark out a night of my week to play a video game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

The official forums were good for something after all - if you romanced a companion in 1-50, or Theron in SoR (Lana apparently doesn't do this), you get a letter from them in KotFE, and folks in the official forums assembled all of them. Lots of foreshadowing about what's happened to these characters, and honestly? There's some drat good writing, punching harder than Mass Effect 2's versions did. Mako's hit me especially hard.

I have serious reservations about KotFE's story, but I think the story itself and the characters are fine and pretty well-written.

Do they have the angry letters you get if you romance someone new in KotFE too?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fuzz posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect spoilertags for an expansion that isn't even playable yet for the people that didn't subscribe by the deadline, call me crazy. Pretty sure Medullah would agree.

It's not a spoiler to say that the Zakuul Empire is not something that has already been revealed as another thing. The Sith Empire (you know, the one that people can play as) is the thing that Revan and the Exile went off to fight and we've all known that since before the game came out. You might as well get mad for someone saying Valkorian isn't Luke Skywalker's dad.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Knight charged in like a goon and got clapped up. That's why the Smuggler saves the day, he's smart enough to collect allies and not just assume being the Chosen One will pull it off.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Question: can the Interface Editor window be moved?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Berke Negri posted:

I really need to focus on just wrapping up the pre-kofte story stuff because it has been far too distracting making money. Did pull in like a million credits yesterday just going around doing dailies and heroics though, but my inventory is really starting to fill up with all those alliance crates stuff.

Well, the alliance crates have money inside so you've got another payout waiting for you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Force users are chumps. They have magic and enchanted swords, but that doesn't make them walking gods. Chapter 2 even goes into detail about how and why non-Force classes are the Outlander and can carry the same story role - namely, they're among the very best in the galaxy, skilled enough to fight and kill even the greatest Jedi and Sith in a fair fight.

TOR goes with the narrative that yes, sufficiently skilled mundane people can take Force-users in a straight fight and win.

Also bear in mind the movies. The climax of A New Hope hinges on Han Solo taking Darth Vader by surprise and defeating him - and only not killing him because Solo was focused on other things. Luke gets shot down by a non-Force-user in ESB and almost eaten by a wampa in the same movie, then shot and injured in RotJ. To say nothing of Order 66.

All the EU garbage has really pushed the idea that Jedi are unbeatable with their power to time travel or whatever, but even with that the best pilot in the galaxy is Wedge Antilles, just a Regular Dude.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bruceski posted:

Doesn't the Smuggler have a whole discipline based around "kicking Sith in the nuts and stabbing them while they're down"?

The thing that's consistent across all Smuggler disciplines is that they come with that Precise Shot feat from KotOR2 that makes blaster shots unreflectable. Whether you're kicking dicks, shooting flechettes at them or just putting blaster shots in their face it works.

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm guessing the release of KotFE doesn't give subs (or preferred, which is even more unlikely) a free server transfer or something, does it?

I don't really ahve a problem with leveling a new character since it's hilariously fast now but I have a lot of money and poo poo on older characters.

They're not free but they are like 90 cents each right now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Boba Fett gets clowned by a smuggler, so smugglers = number one for all of space

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fuzz posted:

But that Smuggler got his rear end beat by a Jugg. And a JK also decapitated the BH, BUT that JK got owned by a Sorc, and that Sorc happened to have trained an Assassin that chest stabbed a Consular but was then chopped in half by a JK, so...

The real takeaway here is that marauders/sentinels = bottom tier trash classes

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Explore if you want to explore! I don't understand this complaint

It's a strange notion MMO players have developed where they NEEEEEEEED to move to a new zone when quests start to go green, and so levelling faster is punishing them for exploring and doing all the quests.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This is frankly not a legitimate complaint anymore.

It was also never a legitimate complaint in the first place. If there were only enough quests to get to 65 if you did them at level then it would be a point but there's so much more XP than you need so doing poo poo at green being somehow problematic was never actually relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rasmussen posted:

I really enjoyed kotfe, but I finally realized why was bugging me about it and that is the fact that it's just not star wars anymore. It feels like some kind of bizzarro EU story. I mean it's still good and I enjoyed it, and I understand why they went in this direction but the story and setting is now just future space knights grand adventure.

You know, you can play it as a non-Jedi if that's the problem.

• Locked thread