Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

...You get 12x experience on Ilum? I thought it was just class story and Makeb. I'd love to be wrong about that, because I like Ilum better than Makeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

FelixReynolds posted:

At the end of the last thread when someone was posting about the best way to prep your alts to power level through their stories, someone mentioned send a few hundred basic comms to each one to get them started on buying mods for orange gear. How exactly does one send Comms to other characters? I've figured out how to mail items and creds. Googling seems to suggest the way to do it is buying stuff, legacy banking it, then refunding it, but that hasn't worked so far.

It's not just buying "stuff," there are really specific items that actually work for that and the rest don't.

If you go to a mid-level commendation equipment vendor and buy a box that has a random item in it, you can put the box in the legacy bank for another character to refund. There are a few different boxes with different costs, but usually if you're trying to move a ton of comms you get the purple boxes that cost 12 each. Sometimes I get one or two cheaper ones to use up my last few commendations, if I'm trying to totally clean out one character's stash.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Beniko -> Kenobi

While I don't know much about the expanded universe, I doubt there's an Anal Kenobi however.

My friends have a whole other joke about this, because when somebody first brought up the Beniko - Kenobi thing, somebody said "yeah but what's her first name an anagram for?" and I answered "Alan." So now we all call her Alan Kenobi. The anti-comedy of acting totally oblivious to the obvious butt joke is funnier to me, but to each their own.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm kinda glad, in the end, that I leveled 1-50 before any of the quality of life stuff, because I was forced to really take my time exploring each weird new world.

I'm way more glad, though, that I only had to do that poo poo ONCE. Taris with no speeder can definitely only be cool once.

I feel like over time the game has improved in exactly the ways it needed to just to bring its best qualities to the fore. When I played this in beta / at launch all I could see was the potential. I was blown away by the story elements, coming from other MMO's where that was an afterthought at best. People thought I was crazy for saying this is actually the best loving game. Maybe it wasn't, then, but I knew the lil' trooper had it in 'em.

Seriously, even now, Bioware doesn't get enough credit for the multiplayer branching dialogue scenes. Leveling with a buddy and trying to make each other laugh with your weird dialogue choices is an experience you just don't get anywhere else. Me and my friend made these two Sith juggernauts who we played as lovely goth kids trying to one-up each other by being the most eee-vill, and god drat was that great.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

xsf421 posted:

One of my best memories is doing Black Talon a few hours after launch, and voting to space the engineers. The group was furious.

My favorite thing I ever did in the Esseles was at the very end when I won back-to-back dialogue rolls where first I demanded a reward and then right afterward said "Please, I don't need a reward."

My guild used to do a lot of power-runs through Esseles to grind social points and alignment points, and things got a little silly after a while. We started doing all-nude runs. The line "Ironfist is nothing!" became this huge running joke. I once saw a guy with a guild tag like "the iron fist" and sent him a whisper saying "ironfist is nothing!" and he didn't get the reference and got all riled up.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

the panacea posted:

I started decorating the yavin stronghold, and so far it feels like most hooks are in weird places.

The hooks are in weird places in general, in strongholds. Or they just combine weirdly with the restrictions on decorations. I've put a lot of work into my Tatooine base... I'm really relieved they finally upped the max available hooks so it wouldn't feel so empty, but I wish they had thrown in a few more actual hooks while they were at it, particularly out in the empty sand areas. It would make sense to put dewbacks, banthas, camping stuff, etc. out there.

My biggest frustration is that they added a sandcrawler decoration, easily one of the coolest possible things, but they restricted it to loving starship hooks, and there are no starship hooks that are actually ON SAND. There's exactly one place you can put it (counting all 5 available strongholds) that makes even a little bit of sense, and that's an outdoor landing platform that is pretty clearly meant for starships. If they switched it to fit on centerpiece hooks there would actually be a couple of good places to put it. Barring that, they ought to stick a starship hook out in the desert. At least then the decoration with only one place in the game to put it would have a matching hook where only one decoration makes sense!

I saw the price on sandcrawlers dip below 2 million once (usually the price is more like 8-10) but I didn't bother to buy it because there's nowhere to park the dang thing.

Edit: My other gripe with starship hooks is that they don't have a ring of smaller hooks around the edges (like how the large/small arrangement works) where you can put cargo, generators, ground crew, all the poo poo you always see sitting under a spaceship in Star Wars movies, and in this game. The area around ships is always so empty, they look abandoned.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 14, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Reveilled posted:

One thing worth noting though is that a tank companion, by the late game, is always going to come out of a fight about half health at best. As long as you don't need to heal, though, you're faster either mounting and dismounting, or dismissing and resummoning (when indoors), than you would be using your recuperation ability to heal your companion, because either of those return your companion to full health.

Better yet, hitting rocket boost counts as "mounting," and it's instant (without the expensive perk), and unlike every other mount, it works indoors. My usual habit is tap rocket boost and then tap my recovery thing which both interrupts rocket boost and tops me off if I took any damage, and then I'm off and running. Pretty much zero down time using this strategy with a tank companion. This is one of the big reasons rocket boost is the best thing anybody can buy with their Hutt Bux.

Also you guys are lucky I'm not in the goon guild cause I dominate the dress-up game:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

Nice saber you got there... I have one of those.

Still a favorite of mine :)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

God drat it, I've been trying to take more screenshots of my cool-looking characters for you guys, but the screenshot button keeps straight-up failing for no reason... this has happened to me a bunch of times, and it's completely random. It'll just work one minute and not work the next. Doesn't seem to matter what character I'm on or where I am or anything, it just quits working. I wasted like 20 minutes just now hopping on different characters and pressing a button that did nothing.

Aside from taking cool costume pictures, my friends have a game where we grab screenshots of really awful character names that we find... and man, I have lost so many hilarious bad names to the broken-screenshot void.

Hey UI guy if you're reading this... what the gently caress.

Anyway, at least I got this one:

This is my smuggler that's supposed to be a "cover ID" for my agent, with a ridiculous party girl costume.

With her is Corso Riggs, who I traditionally dress like a male prostitute, for two reasons: 1. to make fun of people who dress their female companions like sluts and 2. to make fun of Corso's macho bullshit. I've kept this joke going across several smuggler characters now, but I think this particular look is my best Corso yet! I have laughed out loud at his cutscenes more than once.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I managed to get pictures of a couple more characters before the screenshot button stopped responding again...

My other gunslinger... He's just using rocket boost in the screenshot but if they ever make a green jetpack I will pay any price.

Those blue-green pistols are from the Mandalorian Raiders flashpoint. I think it's a unique model.

Jedi shadow. He doesn't normally wear this, but I keep the fat pink robot costume handy for special occasions. In human form he looks a whole lot like comedian Ron Funches.

Edit:
Forgot I already had some decent shots of my Sith Marauder:

The "white knight" look is a simple combination of the Stalker set, which I already had unlocked, and a common pale gray/dark yellow dye that came in one of those cantina event gift boxes. I put it on him as a placeholder at level one, but quickly realized it was a badass outfit and he never needed to change. The glowing yellow eyes and crafted white/yellow saber crystals continue the white/gold "shining armor" theme.

And yeah this hairdo has clipping issues but I can't picture a better one for this dude. I thought of him as sort of a vain, twisted Prince Charming character, like the bad guy in some fairy tale. I mentioned him in the last thread; I picked all the "sassy" answers leveling him up and ended up pure neutral, and it was awesome.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 17, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

waffledoodle posted:

This is the first time I've heard about flaky screenshots, but it's not really something I would know how to fix. Sounds like an app/engine coder thing. I'll poke around Monday.

Sorry... I wasn't sincerely trying to call you out, but hey, if you find out anything, that'd be nice. :)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It's tough to find boots that look properly Star Wars. Pretty much everybody in all the movies wears boots that are knee-high and relatively unadorned, and it's like you can pick one or the other in this game. The Theron Shan boots look about right, if a little bulky, so I've gotten a lot of mileage out of those things. I like the new Thexan boots too, but GTN prices are crazy.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Humble Hero are the best knee-high no-gimmicks boots. They will be expensive though.

I unlocked the set in Collections during the sale since I get so much mileage out of those boots.

Hey, good tip. I never took much notice of that set.

Edit: Good belt for a Jedi, too. I'll probably just buy the set on the cartel market next time there's a sale.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 19, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Is there official info about what's happening to the unique decorations that only drop in nightmare mode ops? Like will they have a chance to show up at lower tiers in the future? I really want that huge turret from EC and I'm worried that in a couple days it will no longer be possible to get, because nightmare mode will once again be an actual nightmare and not just kind of a pain in the rear end.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Empress Theonora posted:

Are transfers by character or by legacy? It might be cool to hang out with goons for the expansion but all my poo poo is on Ebon Hawk.

For what it's worth, I'm on Ebon Hawk, along with a small group of friends. We've mostly focused on leveling a buttload of alts leading up to the expansion and haven't been doing much else, but we might try to join up with a bigger guild at some point and expand our options.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Sorry to interrupt all the expansion talk, but:

Crafted dyes are pretty much a license to print money on an RP server. I don't even do a search to see current prices anymore. They move so fast that I can just set my price and it'll BE the low price at some point before the timer runs out. On weekends they sell as fast as I can make them.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I really need all the new decorations... I've been requesting debris and battle damage and wrecked vehicles and droids and stuff since before strongholds even launched! I can get a flaming wrecked speeder AND a droid spraying water on it!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'd better be able to still give single-bladed lightsabers to Kira, Nadia, etc.

When I first played in beta they hadn't really sorted out the companion weapon situation, and every moddable lightsaber was class or alignment restricted so companions couldn't use them. I was playing a guardian and just gave my newbie lightsaber from Tython to Kira. With reasonably up-to-date mods in that, it was always way, way better than un-moddable dual sabers for Kira that were offered as quest rewards. I really liked the old-school look of two Jedi with single blades running around together anyway, so I've kept that tradition with every companion since.

Now that companion gear is cosmetic, it had better still be possible...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

NOOOOOOOO what the fuuuuuck!!!

Kira can't use a single-bladed lightsaber anymore!

This really, really bothers me. Like a lot more than it should. That's one of my favorite characters that I'm not even going to bother leveling to 65 in the near future.

WHY god drat it? This is exactly the wrong loving thing to do right now, when companion gear supposedly no longer matters! Why the gently caress is this happening?

Flag on the play! Bad move! BAAAAD MOOOOOVE!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Like I said before, it's been possible (and totally viable) since early beta, up until just now. All the companions with saberstaffs could always equip normal lightsabers instead and do just as well.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dear Bioware,

Though now that I think about it, sarcasm aside, it does seem odd that they would make companion weapons more restrictive instead of less, since they're all now just blank templates of destruction that you dress up to look however you want. Why not open up the cosmetic options for weapons, too?

Probably the hero engine's fault

Yeah, exactly, why take these options away now, when they make the most sense? It's just like how you used to be able to give Corso his favorite blaster, which was a big deal to him in the story... maybe at the sacrifice of a few measly damage points since he's not using a slightly more powerful rifle, but it was a fair trade and he was still totally functional in combat.

Apparently the force user companions can't use vibroblades anymore either. This has royally pissed off at least one customer on the forums who paid real-life money for a cathar war staff for a companion.

Also I guess they took away HK's assassinate ability and some unique stuff from Treek? That's not really fair to the people who put a lot of money and/or work into getting unique companions.

I'm genuinely pleased about a lot of the changes and looking forward to digging into the new story, but wow this is off to a bogus start.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Fojar38 posted:

Judging by how hung up everyone seems to be about companion weapons I'm going to guess that most of you didn't get early access.

I got the early access and all the prizes, but I'm still mad as hell about companion weapons!

I haven't started the new story yet because I've been busy with inventory management in the wake of all these changes.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

nonentity posted:

Not promising anything, but I will ask around.

You're a good man!

Remember how I had the matching derelict lightsabers on my "japanese superhero" guardian and Kira? That's just one of the things at stake here...

On the flipside, it's extremely awesome that all that "devoted allies" companion gear can be worn by players now. It's actually an upgrade over Ziost gear in many cases, and you can pass it around to alts from 55 on up! That will definitely make an impact!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm going to talk about the story in this post but it's NOT SPOILERS so don't worry.

One of the things I've really been enjoying about the new story is that it actually cuts away to the bad guys now and then and shows them plotting against you. I guess it tips the balance a little bit from immersive RPG experience to cinematic experience, and that might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I feel like it adds depth, adds to the sense of urgency (with those "oh poo poo they're onto us" moments), and gives you a way better sense of the big picture. Most of all, it makes it feel more like Star Wars.

Now that I've seen this in the game, I feel like it's something that was distinctly missing from earlier story arcs, and it could have really added a lot. There were always certain bad guys like the Voidwolf where you're supposed to be in the climax of act 3 and you're still like "who the gently caress is the Voidwolf?" If it had cut away for a few seconds to show him plotting your demise or outmaneuvering you, it would have added some gravitas to the boss fight. The game always had some decent villains *in theory*, but they only ever felt like proper villains if you got to know them a little bit, as people. A lot of them are just names that get muttered when they send thugs after you, and that's just not dramatic.

Anyway, this was, to me, the #1 most positive change in terms of overall gameplay. The intro cinematic gave the bad guys an emotional grounding at the start, and the occasional cutaway to their point of view kept them fresh in your mind and completely changed the tone of the player's scenes. Two thumbs way up for this.

Unrelated note:

I had saved up a ton of companion conversations to do after the level cap went up and the affection system changed. I had several characters I leveled up during 12x where I'd feed a shitload of gifts to all my buddies but never actually talk to them. So yesterday, before I got rolling with the new stuff, I took a few minutes on my chosen character to finish those conversations, and I took the romance path with a companion. (Doc, with a female knight.) Much to my surprise, when Doc wanted to get married, there was an actual wedding ceremony scene with vows and stuff. I don't remember that from any of my previous characters getting "married." I swear I'd done that same companion romance arc before on another character, and the actual wedding was off-screen. Maybe I just have a terrible memory, but was this a new addition? It really has been a while since I bothered to "marry" an NPC, since I don't ever think of it as "canon" for my characters, just an excuse to see more story content.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Promethium posted:

Companion story scenes haven't ever changed as far as I know. Female Jedi Knight and Female Smuggler both have an official ceremony as an on-screen option.

OK, I knew there was a possibility I just hadn't seen it before or it was so long ago I forgot. Maybe the last time I had a female knight character, she played the "Jedi can't get married" card.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

According to Dulfy No there is not. Although (speculation here) since he's a droid and all, it'd be easy to bring him back if they wanted

They really went out of their freakin' way to say it's not happening, though. My character asked if there was a backup of his memory so he could be rebuilt, and was told no, "he said he didn't want to live forever." I guess that's some incentive to hold onto good ol' HK-51?

Unrelated heavy-spoiler comment:

I've pointed out before how I made several alts to represent "cover ID's" for my imperial agent. I'm delighted to find that SCORPIO is now available as a companion to other characters, because it means the alt versions can run around with my agent's favorite companion! Of course I'm still working on finishing up this storyline and they love killin' off your favorite dudes, so my celebration may be premature. I don't remember her being on the list of old companions who could die, though.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I've had a weird glitch with a companion who returned for a big role:

I'm playing as a Jedi Knight, and my ol' pal T7 has shown up repeatedly in the KOTFE narrative, but his appearance has been weirdly inconsistent. In cutscenes he would have his default coloring, and outside of cutscenes he would be wearing his red customization. Eventually he showed up as a more permanent companion, at which point his red customization vanished from his inventory. Didn't go in my bags or show up in the mail, it's just gone. Not the hardest thing to replace, but it's weird. I wonder if this is happening with other classes when their own companions become shared companions?

Tip: When you get to the planet Odessen be sure to go click the little sign by the crafting station, because you instantly get a cool unique moddable weapon and a pretty decent set of mods to go in it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I've had a weird glitch with a companion who returned for a big role:

I'm playing as a Jedi Knight, and my ol' pal T7 has shown up repeatedly in the KOTFE narrative, but his appearance has been weirdly inconsistent. In cutscenes he would have his default coloring, and outside of cutscenes he would be wearing his red customization. Eventually he showed up as a more permanent companion, at which point his red customization vanished from his inventory. Didn't go in my bags or show up in the mail, it's just gone. Not the hardest thing to replace, but it's weird. I wonder if this is happening with other classes when their own companions become shared companions?

Quoting myself because I figured out what was going on with this and it's weird as hell.

I actually have two different T7-01's... with different gear, different influence ranks, and in different companion categories. Oddly enough the one in the "Companions: Jedi Knight" category, presumably my original one, is the one missing his custom skin. He also has the higher influence rank of the two. I'm so confused!

Edit: Also my probably-original one in the knight list has a note saying we've lost contact and his whereabouts are unknown. But I can summon him just fine.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 22, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Oh my god... my friend was leveling a character on Balmorra while me and another guy in our guild were on 65 characters, and he suggested that we go and run Balmorra heroics with him. It would be fast XP for him and decent money/rewards for us. We could not have imagined how right he was. Within about half an hour of minimal effort, he gained at least two full levels and we were all at least 100k richer, with piles of those supplies to turn in for influence back at the Alliance base. The new system let us all teleport from one mission to the next with no downtime. With one godlike companion healing, we were invincible. It was blowing our minds how the credits were stacking up. If one of us did a bonus that the other two didn't have for some reason, we would still all get paid for it, tens of thousands of credits. We were getting tons of social points too, and green loot drops on nearly every pull.

The adventure was cut short by maintenance, but we all agreed that low-level heroics are going to be our new thing. It's way better than dailies. It seems like leveling up a character almost exclusively with heroic missions would be fun, easy, and ludicrously fast, like faster than the 12x boost, as long as you have one or two friends to drag along. Not only that, but this is interesting content that we mostly skipped before. And there are so many of these old heroics, you could go for hours without repeating one. This alone has made the game so much better. We're all chomping at the bit to keep doing heroics together.

(That new Star Fortress flashpoint thing is also good.)

And so many new companions! This game rules, you guys!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Re: running heroics solo... I'm sure it's possible and not even hard, but if you CAN bring a friend, you SHOULD bring a friend, because the increased rewards for grouping are significant.

Also, I want to reiterate that they're just as worthwhile when you're at level 65, because for each turn-in you get a pile of different data crystals AND one of those purple boxes that you turn in on Odessen for influence and a random box of legacy gear.

Also, if you like the handful of recruitment missions you get at the end of chapter 9, go and run the Star Fortress flashpoint! Doing it once unlocks a BUNCH more recruitment missions, each with a unique new alien companion as a reward. I did the one on Alderaan and got an Ithorian Jedi buddy. My friend did Nar Shaddaa (I think) and got a Nautolan.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

The Star Fortress achievements and rewards are so freaking complex my mind exploded trying to read up on it. DEFINITELY not an alt friendly system, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. People may be more inclined to pick a main and run with it and group with others.

I meant to say, I've really been enjoying having one main character being the big drat hero and doing everything. I have a ridiculous number of alts, but I don't really plan to do the new story on all of them. Seems like there are a million other ways to get XP now.

It really seems like the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior have by far the biggest personal stake in confronting the Emperor. For most other classes I feel like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to become THE HIGHLANDER.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My main RP character, a badass outlaw swoop biker, has a shiny new speeder today!

Here he is attempting a difficult jump on his homemade racing track:

You can see that a previous rider did not have the best luck on this course.

Here he is trying to figure out where it should go in his custom speeder showroom:

For real though, the stuff in the new pack is awesome. I've been littering Tatooine with junk and wrecked machines, just like I always wanted to. I really do wish the log "mount" unlocked a decoration like other mounts. Actually having it sitting in my swoop garage or custom speeder showroom would be such a thing of beauty...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I don't doubt the Zildrog set is going for beaucoup bucks. It's a great set.

I've been buying these other things on the GTN - the log, emergency response astromech and assorted wreckage - for prices ranging from 75-300 k, which is really not bad considering this stuff is so new. I'm sure the prices will drop further over the weekend, and I'll probably pick up a lot more. The smoking "blaster mark" that goes on a small wall hook is another favorite. I really love the wrecked republic ATV, but it only goes on a starship hook, which is a dealbreaker. I hope it gets bumped down to centerpiece at some point.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Some scattered thoughts..

Last night I realized they doubled the max scooting distance on decoration hooks. I spent a couple hours just fixing stuff in my stronghold that never aligned quite right. Felt really good. Thanks, Bioware!

Pro tip: You can quick travel directly to just about any planet if you have a weekly heroics terminal nearby. I've been grinding some bounty missions, because they added some really awesome decorations to the bounty brokers vendors, and I'm a whore for decorations. My new method is pick a bounty mission, go to terminal, grab a heroic on the same planet, teleport to the heroic, do the heroic (cause it takes like 5 minutes) then do the bounty mission and teleport back to fleet.

I'm glad they brought back the Chevin vendor - with new stuff, even - and that you can use more recent currency to buy their stuff... but you need SO MUCH of all of it, and a lot of the newer currency is just as unavailable as the Chevin stuff was. I hope they're planning to bring back the rakghoul and Gree events soon, because I want the new stuff those vendors are selling. If I had known it was actually worthwhile to hoard those tokens I would have done so!

The game is kind of stupidly easy now due to overpowered companions, but I'm cool with it. I'm realizing more and more that I'm not in this poo poo for the challenging gameplay. I put in my years proving that I can hit my buttons. I'm glad I can still go to low-level planets and wreck poo poo. I'm glad I can solo heroics if my buddies aren't online. I like being able to focus on the story and characters and not worry too much about the techy stuff. Basically everything feels like the original solo mode flashpoints, now, and I liked those. I wouldn't be surprised, or too upset, if there was a nerf to companions, but I'm fine with the status quo right now.

I love that you can recruit so many random weird aliens for your alliance. The combination of canned alien chatter and un-voiced character dialogue is less cool than the big bold cinematic storytelling stuff, but it sure has let the writers run wild with their ideas.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

OK, I confirmed that you can send common data crystals between alts by buying ship models in the alliance base, popping them in the legacy bank and refunding them on another character... but only characters who have finished KOTFE have access to the alliance base, since it's in a quest instance. So you can send them TO low-level alts but not FROM them. Offloading stashes from lovely alts I don't play much to good alts I do play was always one of the primary reasons to bother transferring comms, so this is pretty frustrating. Has anyone found another way?

At least low-level alts can fly their ship to Odessen and blow their data crystals on companion gifts and whatnot at that vendor in the cantina, and mail them around.

In other news, I started a new alt for shits n' giggles, just to casually check out the new leveling experience. It's pretty hilarious riding my huge KOTOR swoop around the newbie planet and having overpowered Nico Okarr shooting the hell out my enemies while I'm level 5. I sent that guy 3 stacks of rank 1 underworld goods and got Nico up to influence rank 15, so he's no joke!

Edit: Oh, something I forgot to mention... Any character level 61 and up who runs an old heroic will get a legacy-bound smuggled goods thing among their rewards, so you can grind those things for your main character while you dick around on alts.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 24, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

When my little newbie character had ~900 health Nico Okarr had ~2000. In healer mode. With zero points of influence! So stacking more power on top of that basically turns them into gods.

I got my main companion on my main character (the cool new Nautolan sith from Nar Shaddaa) up to influence rank 25, and I swear she is no longer capable of taking damage.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, the trick with transferring comms has always been to find that incredibly rare combination of a thing giving you a refund timer but not binding on pickup. Typically it's only stuff that binds to that character on pickup that has a refund timer. If it's legacy-bound or not bound at all, they probably figure you'll find a use for it.

Those alliance crates are always a pretty awesome thing to have more of, even if they don't let you shuffle data crystals between characters. I have a low-level alt sitting on 600 data crystals, so I'm about to stock up.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Just to weigh in on ongoing discussion of different class stories and how they mesh with KOTFE:

(There aren't actual spoilers here but I'm tagging it just in case somebody REALLY doesn't want even a hint of what KOTFE is about.)

I think a strong case could be made for any of the playable characters becoming "The Outlander" due to their being all-around badasses with a lot of clout in the galaxy. However, that's just if you take them individually and disregard the existence of the other playable characters. The intensely personal relationship the Emperor has with both the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior is such that, if you acknowledge those stories as true and concurrent with the other ones, it would make very little sense for things to unfold such that some other dude becomes the focus of the Emperor's attention and the center of this story, no matter how powerful or important they might be objectively. It's a fairly subjective story. I'm personally going to have trouble taking it all seriously if I play through as one of the other classes, even though the Knight and Warrior are not my favorite characters.

It's like if Return of the Jedi had ended with Han Solo confronting Vader in person while Luke was off doing other poo poo. Not that Han wasn't a cool guy and not that he didn't have a reason to be there, but if he's THE guy at that point, it would have left the father-son situation weirdly unresolved.

Really it's your prerogative as a player to decide, when you're playing a Smuggler or something, whether or not the Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior character also exists in your universe. I think it's valid to totally ignore the other stories while playing a specific one, but having seen them all, I have trouble quieting that part of my mind.

This has honestly been an issue with a lot of the post-50 content for me. Certain characters of mine, when any NPC tells them "you're the galaxy's only hope!" My immediate reaction is "well, the galaxy is hosed." It's worse with KOTFE though because the story is so personal.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Uhhhhhh what?

I just started a new character last night just to screw around and check out the new leveling experience in between doing real stuff. I decided since I hit level 15 after leaving Tython, I'd run a bounty mission. By the time I was done hunting the bounty, I was 17. drat, pretty good XP right?

Then I went to the fleet to turn in it and hit LEVEL 20. Plus like 1/3 of another level. I gained 5 levels from one short quest, 3 of them in one turn-in.

I kiiiiinda feel like that was not intended. But uh, OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

Yeah XP is stupid at whatever level. I read on Reddit that you can actually hit level 15 within 10 minutes by (very minor spoiler) using the Niko summon token, then travelling to Odessan to talk to him, and while you're there talking to the ship droids and getting their quests

I tried this just now on my same now-level-20 dude and got a little over one full level... I was wondering if it would put me at like 30, but no such luck!

You can only talk to the opposite faction's droid, but you do get the same rewards as a level 65 character would.

• Locked thread