Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

Is it just a reality of playing this game that I will not be able to play Warzones or Starship Battles at all during certain times of day? Playing on Jedi Covenant, just started up a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

When googling for info about the game, it is very hard what with it having changed so much over the years. Is there one site (a wiki, guide, something) that has kept up to date on stuff? Seems like everything I check is at least behind somewhere.

Also, Republic/Imperial classes are 100% mirrored, right? Zero difference at all between a Smuggler and Imperial Agent?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Yes, classes from both sides are mirrors. They might look different (i.e. assault cannon commando vs dual pistol merc) but are the same.
Okay, this is mostly what I was wondering about. Saw that they used different weapons but figured that was it.

Played the first two months of release, then stopped and just came back. LOVE the changes they made, planning on going through each class story until I get bored. Did a light side Sith Warrior for my first run, starting up my Smuggler now. Was wondering about the mirroring because I want to balance my advanced class choices, ie going tank warrior sith, then dps warrior jedi, healer smuggler, dps imperial agent, etc etc.

I was reading the official forums and was amused at how many people were upset at how casual/story based the game has become, when that stuff is exactly why I came back and bought a sub. Love the increased xp that allows for story driven gameplay.

Another question cause I am a little obsessive compulsive... there's no way to clear alignment points, right? Say if I have a light side character and picked a dark side option, no way to get rid of those points? I know in the end it doesn't matter, not that many things care about alignment, and you can always balance it out by just getting more light side points, but I'd really prefer it if it said "Dark Side: 0"

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Turbl posted:

You can actually clear them. If you have say 50 DS points and max LS points, any more LS points you get will work to clearing away the DS points. So if you now went and did something that gave you +50 LS points your meter would read LS: whatever the max is and DS: 0.
Oh okay cool, this is good to hear. Really my biggest stressor when it comes to games like this is doing things that would prevent me from being "optimal" given enough time. From what I've seen, game seems really good about not having "choices" that cannot be corrected later (except for the conversation/romance stuff.)

I will most likely not touch any serious end game stuff or things like that, but I do like knowing they're there and I have the option of it if I want to. The 4.0 changes really do seem like they successfully made this game a true "Knights of the Old Republic" sequel with pretty decent MMO content available.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

Remember you can always go through the story with more than one character pretty easily. Leveling is so quick now you can literally do 1-65 in less than 20 hours played.

So you could do, say, a Dark Side Assassin, then a Light Side Sorcerer to see both sides of the Inquisitor story.
Sure, and I might do that eventually, but for now it's a lot more reasonable for me to plan out doing 8 story playthroughs instead of 16.

More questions cause I'm here, could you do heroic flashpoints with just two players and two companions? Seems like you could roll through every tactical flashpoint with that setup, curious if you could manage the heroic stuff as well. Gut tells me no, but it does seem like "Operations" are the big things that they actually care about and are supposed to be a challenge. Really I should just go do some reading on what the end game of this involves, cause I really have no idea.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

And you don't get the dark side/light side story, which is the best part. I mean, alignment doesn't have a whole hell of a lot to do with anything other than story. :D
does it actually change anything about the framework of each story, though? after doing a light side sith warrior run, i am fairly confident i know exactly how the dark side one plays out (less talking more murder)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

It's a great single player story game with some additional multiplayer content.

If you really like raiding or running flashpoints it's not too great a time for the game.

PvP should get more exciting with the new Warzones and season 7 of Ranked starting.
I know the hardcore MMO people hate it, but I love everything they've changed about the game. Leveling rate, level shifting, story based content, more casual endgame, companions that make soloing almost all non-flashpoint/ops content possible, I love it all.

But I am the sort of person that gets grossed out by people who take MMO's super seriously.

I've only been back playing for a couple weeks (but racked up about 5 or 6 days /played) but my biggest problem with the game have been getting into random flashpoints with people who have been playing forever. Not because we wipe or anything, but because they'll often refuse to even run with people who have never done it before. Rather than explain the very simple MMO tricks, people gonna throw fits and demand to be kicked. Never had a problem with people who don't know what's up, MMO weirdos is my problem.

I also despise that the standard for flashpoints is to just avoid all the mobs on the way, but that is more standard and I'm not gonna hold it against the people who played forever and just want their boss kills faster. I'm just a weirdo who likes MMO combat.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

can i sell the free level 60 i get from subbing? doubt i'll ever use it and i'll take a few million credits

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

No, the free one you get is already activated on your account.
Boo.

Also, just finished my second class story and I didn't get credit for it, like the guy who posted earlier, soooo... yeah. If this doesn't get fixed I'm probably gonna give up on doing all 8 stories or playing the game altogether.

this hurts me

cams fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 8, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

If it's not automatically fixed just submit a ticket.
yeah, logged off and on to check and make sure it didn't fix, then sent in a ticket. off for the night shift soon, hopefully i get some reply by the time i get home.

and also my stack of companion items sells for 1.25 mil and my bounty hunter can start off rich as gently caress. like that every class story run gives me an almost full stack of common data cores so i can make bank once i'm done.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

For people like me who got hit with a bug where class story completion wasn't counted, they're saying it has to do with how they fixed the bug giving players story credit for using a level 60 token. Can't do anything about it for now, expect it to be automatically fixed in the May 4.4 patch.

Already started my third class story, it's taking me a little over a week per class story, so they should have a patch out before I finish.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

As Telex said crafting is largely a money sink. Don't pick it up expecting to craft gear for yourself to have amazing gear - you're better off just running Heroics for gear every few levels.
on my first character, i took scavenging, underworld metals, and armortech. i was able to keep grinding all 3 while i leveled, craft armor for myself (crafted armor is always better than heroic reward armor of the same level), and stay positive on credits by selling my surplus mats. when i'd sell them, i'd always just undercut the market to sell them fastest and i still stayed credit positive. this is all without realizing i could use cores to buy companion items and sell them.

i'm fairly good at looking at a system and figuring out the ways to make it work, but i do not think it is as hard to do for a new player as you guys say, and i think you underestimate the value.

so yeah, if you are gonna take a crafting skill rather than just gathering/mission ones and selling the mats, i'd reccomrnd armortech, synthtech, or arms/artifice depending on what weapons you use.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

This was recent? The Heroic armor rewards are going to be superior to basic crafted armor, and only inferior to purple gear that's been learned through reverse engineering.
just started playing again a few weeks ago, so yeah. i think you are incorrect about the quality of crafted armor, because for instance when i crafted level 32 stuff, the gear (that is scaled to my level) i'd get from heroics and flashpoints would be worse or as good as the gear that is levels below it. i am fairly confident saying that if you are level 40, craft a set of level 40 gear, it is gonna be better than blue gear you'll get from heroics or flashpoints. not better by an insane margin, but objectively better statwise.

edit: i am level 40 right now and actually crafted myself a set of 40 armor, i will do a heroic to compare

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Telex posted:

You're ignoring the value of your time.

The time spent crafting things (because you will piss around a lot gathering stuff while leveling if you stop to do it all the time to say the least, not to mention just the pushing of the buttons to get things from the skills, the organizing of the items, etc etc) is entirely wasted, when by the time you can craft the gear at l32, you could be at L34 instead. Or beyond. Constantly. Taking 5 minutes every 10 levels to buy crystals for gear is way way way way more worth your time.

Save crafting for when you're sitting in a PVP queue for 30 mins at a time or otherwise don't have anything to do. It goes way faster when you have 5-6 guys crafting than while you're piddling around with 2. Even if you have Treek or other companions so you can max out your available slots at low levels and still have a companion out in the game.
i am not sitting around crafting stuff, i am doing it while i do the story or heroics or flashpoints or my pvp dailies or whatever. the crafting system in this game does not require you to actually spend time on it beyond hitting buttons on a menu while you do other stuff?

i'm not saying it's necessary but i'm on my third character now and i am very glad i got someone who can make adaptive armor for my other characters as they level up. all i'm doing is grinding the story and at a certain point you don't need to do heroics at all to stay ahead on levels, so i tend to fall behind on gear..

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

The REALLY smart thing to do if you plan on leveling a bunch of alts would be to grab a few sets of legacy armor and fill them up with level 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55 armorings, mods and enhancements and leave them in legacy vault so you have current gear every 10 levels. :)
didn't even know there was a legacy storage, don't know where i'd get a bunch of sets of legacy armor, but sure.

i'm just saying that i found crafting much more useful and much less difficult than you guys have been saying.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Really it boils down to "if you like crafting, do it." I just wanted to make the case that I've found it useful and easy as a new player. Since I'm trying to do all 8 class stories, I am giving every new character one crafting skill and two of the collection skills for it, and I am pmuch always maxed out on them once I finish the story, so I like having those crafters available.

PS, until Medullah mentioned legacy storage which I did not know existed, I hadn't even gotten a stronghold yet cause I figured it was just player housing and not useful. I did not realize I could teleport there any time without a cooldown, use it to get to my ship or the fleet, and put up a bunch of useful poo poo. That really makes my life a lot easier.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

It was most surprising to me because because of all the various fast travel/fast travel cooldown legacy options, and how expensive the legacy spaceship GTN/mailbox upgrades were, made me think they were important... yeah having bought a stronghold is gonna make my life a million times easier.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

I was hoping the home release of TFA would spark interest again, but it seems like we'll be waiting for Rogue One.
Having a copy of TFA and watching it is totally what made me come back to this game.

Though, I started on the goon server then transferred to Harbinger cause I'm on the west coast, play late at night, and want pvp/starfighter pops.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

I want that saber flourish in the last image to be real, but I'll take it. Nicely done.
get ready for cartel market taunts, baby.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

what is the deal with the gaps in armorings for crafting? once you hit the level 40 armorings, they start skipping around a bit on what you can craft. not a big problem but annoying.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Would you say the best way to play all 8 class stories would be to alternate between Pub and Imp just so you don't end up going through the same planets 4 times consecutively?

Or is it the gameplay that wore you out?
This is actually what I've been doing. Went Sith Warrior, Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Jedi Consular. Finishing Consular right now, but I may stop for a bit and actually play him after I finish the story, really enjoying Jedi Shadow. Though when I decide on a character to spend time with after story, I'll probably land on a healer because I like doing random flashpoints quite a bit, and as a healer you can get any group through them.

I really just like leveling characters though. I am also doing each advanced class on each side as I go through, but I might end up going back and doing the same Pub/Imp classes but different advanced classes. Cause I'm weird.

Or I'll get bored and stop next week.

cams fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 26, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dulfy's 4.0 influence guide says that if i romance nadia grell, she'll love courting items. i did this and she is still reacting to my courting gifts with "like" level rewards. annoying.

anyone know what's up?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

oh, cool. i didn't buy any but i have a TON sitting around cause i didn't have a use for them. still don't!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Just got to 60, holy poo poo 25 is an insanely small quest log limit for how many weekly/dailies you have past 60.

edit: once i hit 65, i'm pmuch done doing random warzones for a while, right? cause then there will be all level 65 people with level 65 gear?

cams fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 27, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

can't open 61+ heroic rewards until you get deep into the kotfe story

great prank bioware

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

No but they're bind to legacy so you only need one toon to finish chapter 9, then you can send all of the crates to him.
yeah, but i was planning on playing through Rise of the Hutts and Shadow of Revan before i did any KOTFE stuff.

if i just skip all that and do kotfe stuff, can i go back and do that later? cause i was under the impression i could not.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The latter.

They didn't want people using 60 boosts to get that credit.
i am really surprised at how hard they drew the line between pre-kotfe and kotfe content. i like the boldness, despite the inconveniences. the lack of documentation is real annoying though, but since there are TONS of tooltips, codexes, and loading screen tips that are insanely out of date, i don't care too much.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Trast posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the conquest stuff? I'm not jumping into the expansions yet so does that limit what I can do as a level 50? Will I be able to help the guild at all? How do I even go about doing conquest stuff?
you can do all the conquest stuff at any level. take a look at the objectives, you could do it entirely just by grinding (tons of) pvp warzones. i don't know about the contribution stuff, but i think it's worth it to do it just to get a strategic resource matrix that you can sell for at least 400k credits.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

was curious about nico okarr, so i did some googling to find out if i could get him as a new player. this lead me to a thread on the swtor forums with tons of people talking about how it would be a war crime only slightly less severe than the holocaust to let people who didn't EARN him to get him.

should find a final solution for people who play video games imo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

gonna go through and get the last 3 classes i need for legendary up to a decent level this week. do their starting planet, some heroics, pvp dailies, will get them way up there.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Looks like you have to reach level 60 for "Legend" now instead of just finishing Chapter 3.
do not think this is accurate

cams
Mar 28, 2003

do i have to log in today on all my characters to get them this pet

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am really looking forward to hitting legendary player status and then deleting every character i spent dozens of hours playing so i can have just one character on my character select screen

cause i'm weird

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Well I'm almost done with the Bounty Hunter questline, and why the gently caress can't I fire Skadge out the airlock? Dude is nothing but hostile and antagonistic and just because he threatens to steal our ship we immediately acquiesce to his demands? I've got a hacker and tech that can probably make sure he never steals said ship, and a goddamn mando bodyguard. Bring it rear end in a top hat.
i don't get the rage for this guy. when i did the bh story, i spoke to skadge less than 10 times total. he was a complete non entity. all i remember about him was that he approved when i told him to shut the gently caress up, which was nice to see.

i liked having him around as someone who didn't just want to slob my knob

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Since you guys aren't very active anymore, I assume that Harbinger would be the best place to transfer my character?
i tried playing on jedi consular at first so i could eventually join up with goons, but i ended up transferring to harbinger. being able to grab random pvp instances at any time of day is real real important to me. on consular, pvp pop times were kinda long even during peak hours and were completely nonexistent the rest of the time. that was a dealbreaker for me.

but, i also do not care at all even a little bit about doing endgame stuff. i like leveling characters, doing the story, and being able to do random group content whenever.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

Conquest is set to Voss on both factions. This is a good week to make some extra credits if you have crafting supplies - the megaguilds will be crafting Invasion Forces non stop for the next 6 days.
been saving up a bunch from my characters as i'd been leveling. based on what stuff is going for on harbinger, should pull in around 8 mil in the next couple days. thx.

edit: haha maybe way more these prices are kinda bananas.

cams fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 11, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I'm looking for a list of all the story mode companions who have returned in KOTFE and when they show up, can anyone help me out?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Which crew skill gives you the one time use crew skill missions as a reward? I'm finally playing the character I wanna stick with for a bit and I am just giving him mission crew skills so I can gather stuff, leaning towards treasure hunting, underworld trading, but I still need a third.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'm taking treasure hunting and underworld because i like the crit opportunities moneywise and i want to be farming rank 5 companion gifts at all time, so yeah. slicing will be a good 3rd one so i can aim for special missions if i feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Has there been an end-date announced for the Dark vs Light event?

• Locked thread