Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I recently did sith inquisitor as well. I liked it a lot but I'm curious to see how it goes in kotfe (inquisitor spoilers inbound)

i like that I'm now an all-powerful dark council member but I wish the game would do a little more with that, story-wise. Like, show me a story about what it's like to be a dark council member, leading the empire while also scheming against your counterparts.

I have a hunch that since kotfe, uh, changes the power structure of the universe a little, my council status isn't gonna count for much in the new story content.

At the very least, it would be awesome if I could use that star destroyer as my personal starship. I have a fleet now, let me use it! Show, don't tell :sigh:

I wish that act 2 ended with you taking your seat on the council, and then act 3 was you doing all-powerful council poo poo and commanding fleets and armies and stuff

In conclusion, I rate it 7/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As a lazyman who doesn't craft and wants nothing more than easy money from my crew skills, I've found that underworld trading and slicing are the top two picks. I think I've heard that treasure hunting and diplomacy make fine choices for the third, but I've never bothered with them. Investigation is poo poo (right now).

Underworld is nice because most of the grade 1-4 blue metals sell for at least some profit on the GTN, and every now and then you’ll crit and get a purple which sells for even more. Then once you get to max level underworld trading, you can run bountiful & rich grade 11 metal missions, where the purple crits sell extremely well (blues are useless vendor trash at that level but the purples make it worth it). Grade 3+ companion gifts usually sell fairly well too, or you can use them to boost your affection. Fabrics are poo poo, don’t bother.

Slicing is nice because at max level, you can run bountiful & rich grade 11 tech part missions, which give you purple parts that sell amazingly well when you crit. Again, blues are trash, but the purples make it worth it. Lockbox missions themselves aren’t a great source of profit but they generally break even, and when they crit, they give you mission discovery items which you can use to get guaranteed purple mats, or just sell directly for a usually decent amount. Also, slicing will let you pick up slicing nodes around the world, which is literally free money (and at max level, it’s quite a lot).

Those are my favorite low-effort moneymakers. Stuff like scavenging and bioanalysis is also good, but a little more of a pain in the rear end; they give you more types of mats, which clutter your inventory, and not all of them sell super well, and you don’t always get the same thing every time. They let you pick up mats from nodes in the overworld for free, but unlike slicing, which rewards you with piles of credits up front, they give you mats that you have to take the extra step of listing and selling.

Not hard, of course, but technically more work than just opening a lockbox. And, if you take a non-slicing gathering skill, you can’t tell at a glance whether that node on your minimap will be free credits, or cluttery mats, you have to mouse over it first. If slicing is your only gather skill, then every time you see a node you know it’s a lockbox. I like it that way.

Mind you, SWTOR has a player-driven economy and it’s anybody’s guess as to what it will look like after KOTFE comes out, but I feel like this strategy should still be pretty sound. Slicing nodes, at least, will still exist and will be immune to the laws of supply and demand. They can’t take that from me.

TL;DR: pick underworld trading & slicing as crew skills. Level one to max first. When it’s maxed, run bountiful & rich grade 11 metal/tech part missions to sell purples, while leveling the other one. Sell everything that makes a profit.

Mind you, you stand to make more money if you actually craft poo poo, but that takes effort and research and a knowledge of what sells, how much it sells for, and how much of it you should actually try to sell. My method makes less money, but still a decent amount, and you don't have to put any thought into it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just realized that knights of the old republic and knights of the fallen empire are basically the exact same title. I'm the kind of dope that gives marketing people a reason to live

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Any way to move elites and ultimates around like that?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That stinks. FF14 has spoiled me with the whole "any class on one character" thing.

Any of the companion affection missions worth doing? I've mostly ignored companion affection and I'll have a lot of work to do to see any of that content, don't know if any of it is worth the effort

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grouping used to be more important before 12xp, because flashpoints were a great source of XP (at least the dailies). PVP was a good way to level too.

With 12xp they're a waste of time while leveling, though. You're absolultely encouraged to play by yourself and never talk to anybody from 1-60.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elblanco posted:

So, last I played was when it first went free to play. After reading the op things around super fun too, I've been a huge fan of this game for a long time. My only question is, are you still gimped for playing free? Or is it actually playable now?

Still gimped. More than ever, relatively speaking, since subbing now gives you 12x the xp for class quests (and in 4.0, it'll be 6x the xp for class & planetary quests).

It's :airquote:free:airquote: to play, but in reality it's a subscription-based game that offers "free" services designed primarily to entice you to subscribe by denying you various quality of life options and easy access to endgame content.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

If you do Vette's missions, she will eventually track down her long-lost sister who turns out to be enslaved as a prostitute on Nar Shaddaa. The game gives you the option to hire her to service your entire crew. Vette really doesn't like it if you do that.

Working as intended.

Stay classy bioware

I imagine broonmark has unconventional tastes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I for one was a retard and would usually buy comm gear on Rishi for them to get them through Rishi and Yavin easily. :v:

I've just been using a companion with my same mainstat and giving hand me downs. Granted not every class has one, but I think most have at least one...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Inquisitor has xalek. If you use adaptive gear you can pretty much just swap entire pieces of gear back and forth. For weapons/offhands that you can't share wholesale, you can just strip for parts.

You might run into situations where you're giving a tank companion dps gear or something but honestly the content isn't tuned that hard, it doesn't matter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Caveat- Subscribers don't get the SoR expansion for free until 10/27 so you'd only be able to get to 55.

The stats are tank stats but ultimately story content is so easy it's not a noticeable difference while leveling. So a Marauder/Sentinel can give their gear to Broonmark or Scourge and be fine.

Yeah. I'm currently leveling a lightning sorc, giving Xalek my DPS gear, even though I have him in tank stance. I have to stop and heal more than I'd like, but the job gets done just fine. No need to spend comms to be ~~optimally geared~~.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I was thinking more that Broonmark and Scourge wear heavy armor versus the M/S's medium, but fine.

Adaptive armor scales, doesn't matter what the class/companion uses

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

*raises hand* I find most adaptive armor either hideous or bikinis.

Disagree, broonmark looks great in a bikini

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Or you could do what I did and slap aim 190 Ziost gear into a legacy set, then just trade it to whoever you're on at the time.

Honestly I'm just kind of tired of Treek

Speak english or gtfo imo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll be on later tonight and my juggernaut is hungry for a karagga hat

probably after 8, closer to 9 if people are still doing poo poo

Also, juggernaut tank spec is fun as heck to play, but I haven't actually played it in a group with real people yet. I think the most common complaint I've heard about it is that it's hard to hold aggro; does that mean it's hard to pick up groups, because jugg has limited aoe options (apart from spinning slash or whatever the conal is called, all the good stuff is on cooldowns), or does it actually struggle to hold single target threat too?

I'm trying to get a sense of the pitfalls before I start playing it for real, but the dulfy guide is aimed at significantly less forgiving content than I plan to play, I can't tell how much of it I really need to heed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FishFood posted:

Oh thank God, gearing companions was the most tedious thing

Yup. "Every class gets 5 robust* companions with rich** backstories! You'll use the healer for the whole game"

*not robust
**or rich

Medullah posted:

They're not as bad as they were before 3.0 at threat management. The biggest problem before was that Crushing Blow would only hit multiple targets if you used it on a mob that you had first hit with sundering strike, so if your DPS burned the mob you sundered you were down your biggest AOE threat generator until sundering strike was back off cool down. Now it works similar, it only spreads after you hit a mob with Aegis Assault but it's reliant on the buff Aegis gives you instead. Add that to smash and saber reflect generating massive threat you're in pretty good shape. They just lack a strong AOE opener like Wither or Firestorm. But Juggs are way more fun than Powertech so it's worth it. :D

That's good. I'll tell you this, jugg tank is the most fun I've had playing through solo content so far. You're just a leaping, smashing, pushing, choking, wrecking ball of invincible destruction. Definitely getting my darth vader fix from it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can someone remind me how SWTOR's taunt works (in pve)? The tooltip says it forces the enemy to attack you for 6 seconds; does it also bump you to the top of the threat table, or is it literally just the 6 seconds that it gives you?

I'm assuming that taunts in this game are "oh poo poo, i lost aggro" buttons, and that I shouldn't be using them as part of my normal threat-building rotation if things are otherwise going well? I know that in some MMOs, taunts just build a bunch of aggro points, but iirc SWTOR isn't like that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Taunt puts you at 30% more threat than the highest threat on a target. If a target has no threat (i.e. you use it to open a fight) it'll add nothing.

Edit: in opening a fight you should taunt after you use you're two most threatening attacks. For Sins this would be Force Pull->Shock->Taunt. No DPS can generate enough threat to counter that giving you an excellent cushion. During the fight Taunt should be used on CD unless an aggro drop or swap mechanic is present.

Thanks. I definitely wasn't using it that way, haha. That explains some things that happened in KP last night.

What would be a good opener for a jugg then? Aegis > Crushing blow > Backhand > Taunt, maybe?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Pretty much. Force charge with enrage, crushing blow, backhand. Aegis can be held off on for a minute if you're single target tanking.

It honestly didn't even occur to me to not use Aegis in a single target situation. It's just there, I HAVE TO CLICK IT.

But yeah that makes sense. Thanks.

I just had an idea to play a female smuggler, with risha as my companion, both dressed up in bikinis to be strong female characters but then I realized I would be indistinguishable from just a normal creepy swtor player so I decided not to do it.

But I wanted to share the idea because I thought it was funny

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

Why not open with saber throw or do Tank spec Juggs not get that?

From the dulfy guide:

quote:

You may be asking; “Why don’t I use saber throw?” The answer is that Saber Throw generates barely any threat, only a bit more than Force Leap. In 3.0, the Rage generation of the spec is massive and you do not need any more Rage than what Leap and Enrage grants. You’re delaying the Threat generation of your rotation by 1.5 seconds, which is all the room a DPS needs to rip aggro from you. Saber Throw does a lot more harm than good.

I use it anyways though :ssh:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I went back and played my old scrapper scoundrel, which I haven't done since before 3.0 and wow they actually changed the class to make it not a complete pain in the rear end to play relatively well. Making me want to start another agent and run it as a concealment operative. Lord help me I don't have time for all this :negative:

I also dressed up my scoundrel to look like Omar from The Wire, and I'm really looking forward to that Nico Okarr duster coming out, because it'll be pretty perfect.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

I like the 12x xp boost because I don't have to help people with their petty, stupid problems by murdering hundreds of bystanders all the time.

Using esc to walk away from conversations is nice, too.

I'll be covered in blood from head to toe

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

It's just a recolored Troublemaker Duster if you want one now.

Quoting this so I look it up later

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Make sure you romance Theron when you get to SoR then, if you're truly gonna role play Omar.

Edit - Let's see a screenshot, too.

Work in progress but here you go

The troublemaker duster is 2.5 mil on the GTN right now so i'll just wait a week and use the Nico Okarr duster I think

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Thankfully there is always the pistol from BBA that looks like a sawed off shotgun to take care of that oversight. I really wish the shotgun and vibroknife were visible all the time, though.

Yeah, I picked the huge deagle-looking thing because that's the second-most iconic piece of gun that omar carries around. It'll do!

Unrelated: is there any eyepatch headgear? I could swear I've seen it, but I can't find it from googling or searching the GTN.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

This is my RD-07A Viper headgear:

Does that help?

I googled "swtor eyepatch" and that was one of the pieces that came up, but i couldn't find it on the GTN. Not sure if it's because it's rare or if it's because of what the posters above mentioned; either way I'm out of luck, guess I'll play some slots on the guild ship and figure that out.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Asimo posted:

The what now? :downs:

When the expansion hits, the 12x XP is going away, but the leveling experience will still be accelerated. They've explicitly said that you'd really only need to do the class quests and the planetary main quest to level, so it's not that much slower than it is now.

It'll be half as fast as it is now, which is still a gajillion times faster than any other MMO out there (unless you count destiny, which doesn't have a time-based subscription model). At least from 1-50. But then from 50-65 you can level sync up to the endgame content, so that's neat

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alright, so what do I need to do to get this eyepatch that I was asking about last night? Do something with slot machines on the guild ship to get rep to do something else? I've played this game for a couple years now and I still don't know what half these reputation vendors are, that's a bit of a blind spot for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Play the slots until you get Outsider rank with Contraband Resale Corp. You can buy coins to play from the decoration NPC on the ship. The woman, not the droids.

You'll also need a cartel certificate. Those can come from the slots but it's super rare. You might have some if you've ever bought crates though.

The NPC to buy it from is in the Cartel market. It's the south elevator on Imperial Fleet. North on Republic I think. It's labeled on the map. There's a platform there with all of the cartel rep NPCs.

Thank you!

How do I get a cert other than slots and crates? Are they on the GTN?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Someone calculated the odds at less than a tenth of a percent from the slots, so yeah crates are your only option.

d'oh. Which crates are they in?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

All of them. Sometimes you get them instead of cartel rep items. They're not rare from packs, about 20% or so.

Thank you again. I have never purchased a crate off the cartel market so this is also a blind spot for me.

This eyepatch better be worth it, goddamn

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

So if crates contain rep items, does this mean my first step should be to buy crates till i get the cert, and then turn to slots to grind up whatever rep I didn't get from trying to get a cert?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

You don't need a certificate for the eyepatch. All you need is Outsider rep and like 2600 credits.

Ok yeah, this was way easier than I was making it out to be. Got outsider rep in like 2 pulls of the slot machines, lol. Perhaps buying 50 chips was a tad overkill

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Max out the rep. The Titles are cool and there's a set on there that has awesome boots and gloves if you like the 1800s Russian infantry look.

I am very interested in that. Which set is this?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Just go look at the vendor jesus christ.

Aw, you were being so nice before too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Nah, they'll have a contest where the winner gets to have his face digitally modeled and turned into Marr's maskless face.

As long as I can gay romance him i don't care

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

A Thing that I'm actually considering: Leveling a new Alt once 4.0 hits to see the new "streamlined" leveling process :saddowns:

Don't worry...we're all going to do it :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rouncer posted:

2. New Vehicle - Super Speed Shoes - speeded up run animation with a flourish of a jumping heel click.

Gotta go fast

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Vowrawn! I forgot all about that guy but he totally rules.

Same, to the extent that when I finally got around to doing Rishi on my warrior I didn't remember who he was. I still don't, actually :(. Too many darth so-and-so's in this game. Eat the sith imo

Without any actual spoilers, have they said if the story content in 4.0 will be class-specific at all, or will it be more like all the current post-50 content, where the plot beats are identical for everybody, and the only difference is that they refer to you as "my lord" instead of "you there"?

I'm trying to decide who I want to take into KOTFE first, and I'm not sure if the one and only consideration will be "which playstyle do you like the most" versus "whose story do you want to see continued".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Oh, I didn't know about that! I didn't think to actually check my ship for anything since all I've done on my main since re-subbing was play with the outfit designer.

It's neat and short and finally features the emperor in a not-insignificant context. Worth playing and doesn't take too long, especially if you skip the sidequests (which to be fair, you shouldn't do if you want to see them at all, because you can't go back and do them once you finish the main story arc).

• Locked thread