Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

AlmightyBob posted:

Why is the only way to not level too fast to make the game boring to go to fleet (can't until level 7) and get an item that turns it off for only 8 hours? Why isn't it an option in the preferences?
While I agree that some kind of toggle would've been preferable, I'm pretty sure you can hold onto the thing indefinitely and won't need to return to the fleet every 8 hours to get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Rincewind posted:

The changes to companions mentioned in the OP (gear not mattering, being able to fill all three rows, etc.) aren't going live until the expansion drops, right? Or have they already happened?
They're being introduced along with the expansion, yes.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

This current "season" of KOTFE ends with its final chapter in August.
Is there supposed to be another wave of KotFE chapters at some later date?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

the paradigm shift posted:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8905159

Here's a lengthy post from a Producer discussing the fact that the last few chapters have introduced a lot of bugs. He ends talking about the interest in the game from their partners and a statement about swtor being supported into the future.

quote:

The two most exciting things to share are that our writers are deep into the plot summaries for the next season's worth of chapters and we have started the early design phase for new, non-chapter, content.
Guess that definitively answers my earlier question, then (assuming that all these plans don't get cancelled before they actually come to fruition, obviously).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What do you mean by legacy unlocks for travel perks though? I didn't realize we had to pay to unlock specific quick travel locations on planets. Man, who designed this?
There's no paying for quick travel locations, just for certain legacy perks (and you can pay either with in-game credits or cartel coins, if you're so inclined).

quote:

Hmm this all doesn't sound good about KOTFE, lol. I guess I'm going to force myself to finish the 8 class quest lines first before moving on. There's still the origin bundle I can add once the Ama one expires, though I don't know if 5 months is enough time to level and complete 8 toons.
Your mileage may vary. KotFE has limited replay value since it doesn't have class-specific missions or branching paths, but I'd say there's more character development than in any of the game's main storylines, and there's a fair amount of low-combat / high-dialogue parts to break up the monotony of grinding your way from point A to point B just to grind some more enemies. I like it, and would argue that it's worth playing through at least once (up to this point, anyway; still a few chapters to be released).

quote:

I need to find out what this class story XP boost is.
You get a whole lot of extra XP just for class missions. Don't need to do anything for it, except maybe be a subscriber? Not sure about that.

quote:

Also, is a total noob, first-timer like me welcome in the guild? I have a stupid character name that uses the sci-fi apostrophe, and also contains a typo (I created it when I was drunk okay), so I'll accept any insults gracefully.
Having a character in TNG named Loveboat and another in Goon Squad (Republic guild) named Revolting-hippy, I can assure you that nobody will mind.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

cams posted:

oh, cool. i didn't buy any but i have a TON sitting around cause i didn't have a use for them. still don't!
You can give them to Nico Okarr if you've got him.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Holy poo poo, I just got to Alderaan, who designed this planet, and can we tie them to a chair and hurl curse words at them?
Sounds like someone is in for a surprise when they get to Corellia!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah Alderaan is nowhere near as bad as Corellia. At least the graphics are great. Corellia was like "Alright guys, we're about to finish the last planet, how can we gently caress with the fans?" and someone replied "Let's put the objective points right next to the taxis, but people have go go through 3 miles of corridors to get to them?" "BRILLIANT"
The worst thing about Corellia is its nonsensical, labyrinthine layout with arbitrarily blocked passages everywhere that frequently require you to make detours to reach the objective's area. It's the only planet that absolutely demands you closely study the (none-too-clear) map if you don't want to be constantly running into dead ends.

At least you can afford to give most of the side missions amiss nowadays, limiting the tortuous experience of navigating Corellia.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

At least Corellia doesn't cause the graphical slowdown Alderaan does. Something about the grass on that planet just murders my framerate even when i turn it all the way off.
Are you sure it's the grass and not the shadow mapping?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Oh, man, so I have worse in store for me? This really was a game designed for masochists.
You have no idea how convenient and easy-going the game is nowadays compared to when it had just been launched. The Odyssean task of travelling the world of TOR has already been touched upon, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Here's a few other examples of what players had to endure at the time:

- paying to train every ability, including upgrades to every ability (training everything up to level 50 would set you back several hundred thousand credits, if I recall);
- dealing with the absence of a costume designer, dyes, or even the simple ability to unify your outfit's colours (it was all too easy to end up looking like a kid's fashion ad from 1990 injected with a big dose of sci-fi and/or high fantasy, as dressed by the person in the picture here)
- receiving planetary commendations (the precursor to common crystals) that you could only spend on items belonging to a single planet, meaning in practice that you could only afford to buy stuff by the time you were done with a planet and were almost always undergeared.

Also, until update 4.0, companions only had one viable role (Treek excepted) and required their own full set of gear that you had to collect and then keep upgrading.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

As I remember launch you got to do the story quests and still had to take care of trash all day in between.
Yeah, if you wanted to stay ahead of the curve a bit, you'd usually have to do the bonus missions too.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Darium posted:

Migrating from playing on EU to US, losing all my legacy perks (even the paid ones) yurk, makes me sad, so much convinience :P
Unless something's changed since I migrated a few years ago, if you transfer a character, the legacy should be transferred along with that character.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Wyatt Derp posted:

I wonder what the theme for sub rewards will be next season? Darth Marr robot skins, hats and and other varios stronghold accoutrements.
There had better be an ortolan companion somewhere down the line because I've been waiting for one ever since TOR came out goddammit

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Solfrann posted:

From what we've seen so far, that's not happening any time soon.
Well I'll be writing an angry letter to some congressman, see how they like that !!

mastajake posted:

I mean, at least Guss is cool.....
That's true.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Achamp posted:

I just finally bought in yesterday and I have to say this is a sick single-player MMO. I checked for "That's no Goon" yesterday afternoon and it only came up with one person who never responded to me. Is there anyone in that guild that can invite? Is there the equivalent of guild chat to talk in between cutscenes? I've heard the pvp is actually pretty fun at end-game. Looking forward to that.
I think everyone can invite now? Just harass whoever's online for a bit, you'll get an invite eventually. Once you join TNG, the guild chat channel becomes available.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Also if you want cool outfits don't wait for poo poo to drop when you're questing, look at adaptive armor on the GTN.
Or just buy any piece of armour that looks neat and stick it into the costume designer.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The use of the Republic Commando soundtrack in the new chapter is a nice touch.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Aleth posted:

Guss recruitment in Chapter 15.
Wheee!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Trast posted:

Has Bioware ever mentioned adding the intent icons to the chat wheel like they had in DA:I and hopefully Mass Effect:Andromeda? Their writers seem to think some of the calm responses mean you literally want to murder a child in this game and it would be nice to have a little more warning.
I'm more bothered by the fact that, when an Inquisitor's dialogue wheel's got "Oh boy!" on it, and you choose that response, your Inquisitor doesn't literally exclaim "Oh boy!" in a stereotypically excited '40s/'50s-style cartoon.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

OhFunny posted:

How's the Republic-side Goon guild doing?

I'm thinking of resubbing and transferring my Jedi Knight over from Ebon Hawk.
I've been going through the DvL motions with my second Smuggler lately, but I rarely if ever see anyone else on - at least during CET playing hours. If you're in North America, you might have better luck.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

nessin posted:

So I knew before downloading and logging back in that instances had a mode for 4 DPS instead of a normal party, but are they meant to be failure fests or am I just the weak link? Granted it's been so long I'm relearning how to play the game, but it seems ever group flashpoint I get in with all DPS inevitable collapses after a couple wipes because whoever shoots first tends to get zerged down by a large trash pack leading to escalating problems.
Assuming you're queueing for tactical flashpoints, rather than forming a group with three pubbies and then doing a hard mode without a tank and healer, they shouldn't give you that much trouble for the most part. The boss fights can be tricky at times, but there's always clickable objects scattered around the edge of a boss arena that provide instant group-wide healing. If you're getting wiped by regular mobs, I'm guessing that the group's overall damage output is just below par and/or there's too little coordination, with everyone shooting at different targets or being too slow to engage. Focus on the weakest targets first at any rate, that's the best way of quickly reducing incoming damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

prefect posted:

Focus on the weakest targets, don't jump into fights before everyone's healed and ready, and don't just mash your DPS buttons. If there are no healers, pretend you're PVPing, where you need to be a little defensive and use some self-heals if you've got them.
Yeah and if there's some idiot who keeps drawing in multiple mobs at the same time it's time for either a votekick or a quick exit so you can find a less incompetent group.

• Locked thread