Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
At this point after the last six mayors and mayoral candidates got murdered I'm sure no one cares about Oliver's qualifications or policies. Except for Anarky of course...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

lol at that loving wolf.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

punchymcpunch posted:

Someone's gotta sit in the Watchtower doing comms duty, and Mr Manhunter isnt available because Mars is box office poison.

What's that about Mars?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Ideally, every TV season would be between ten and sixteen episodes.

What I find most perplexing about this season is the Oliver for Mayor plot. The most notable things about the Green Arrow (other than being a Batman ripoff, shooting Deathstroke in the eye that one time, or the boxing glove arrow) is the character's progressive political slant and the fact that he has a plot where he runs for mayor. However, in the show this plot was underdeveloped and abandoned. It seems like the Felicity romance has moved to the forefront of the show and where Oliver's character growth and drama is supposed to come from? Which is absurd? The writers didn't write themselves into a corner and go back to the safety of angsty relationship drama they quite deliberately chose this path.

The fact that his run for mayor was totally apolitical also highlights the strangeness of Anarchy's introduction. Such a character would fit quite naturally with a plot where the main character engages with political matters and runs for office, and yet I don't know what the gently caress they're doing with him and he doesn't resemble any other interpretation of the character that I've seen.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Krad posted:

S3's second half started pulling for the Olicity coupling that would later destroy the show. S4 started off with Oliver baking pies and living in the suburbs. I still have no idea how anyone actually enjoyed the beginning of this season, really. And Felicity is not the only problem here, either. Why does everyone Oliver knows have to become a super hero? The show worked much, much better when it was just the Arrow alone in the field with maybe Diggle serving as his occasional backup (and then Sara but she came and went a lot). Having three sidekicks with him at all times feels like overkill, not to mention the only purpose Speedy/Laurel serve is to get knocked out as soon as the fighting starts.

Basically I miss rear end in a top hat not-Batman Oliver.

I don't know what your talking about, I love how every fight scene begins with a non-descript van entering from the background to help Oliver and then segways into three people jumping out of the back to fight the three extra Call of Duty avatars, with all eight people standing exactly still and landing no punches.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
How can BEES turn into a MAN?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Wait a minute, so we all know the mayor plot line was already 100% dead but they confirmed it this episode and the reason they gave was really laughable.

So Oliver isn't going to un-suspend his campaign because the voters, "don't like flip-flopping."He was forced to suspend his campaign because his was blackmailed due to his son being kidnapped, I don't think the voters mind if he jumps back in.

I mean, it should not still be a secret right? Because Damien Dhark is on trial for it? He was arrested at the crime scene with an abducted child. That's literally what they were talking about in the trial. Did the prosecution not give any context for the crime? Did they not talk about motive or try to get the kid to testify that he was in fact kidnapped?

They didn't did they because why would Alex be trying to join the mayoral campaign of someone circumstantially linked to a child's kidnapping?

edit:

Remf posted:

This show is pretty great sometimes.

I enjoyed this flip though.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody knows she's Darhk's wife.

That doesn't matter if someone kidnaps a kid and tells your mayoral opponent to drop out and endorse you you're kinda hosed by association.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

:whitewater:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
They spent three seasons building up to having a Black Canary character and instead of doing anything at all with her they killed her off.

I mean, when you get 17 episodes into the season you probably realize that since you haven't involved a character in any plots or character development that you're likely not ever going to get around to it, but one would expect the writers to plan a season competently enough so as not to waste a legacy character and main cast member.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

LLJKSiLk posted:

Questions: Did I miss where Merlyn grew a new hand or something? Or got a bunch of LoA people to just show up despite the league being abandoned and the daughter of Ras in the wind?

Merlyn having a handful of flunkies hanging around make sense, because if they were loyal to him they would stick around. Not like they have a League of Assassins to go back to!

The hand thing doesn't make sense, it honestly seems like they wrote a fight scene with Thea and choreographed it out while forgetting that merlyn is supposed to have only one hand.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Why have Anarchy in this show and just have him feud with Dhark? Why isn't he... an anarchist?

Also why was Donna complaining about Lance claiming not to have known Laurel was the Black Canary? Why do the writers of the show keep having people get upset at things they have no business being upset about?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
darkness

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Agents of Shield is much better than Arrow, though I understand the urge to talk about anything else other than the complete disaster that is Arrow season four.

Agents of Shield has better plots and is able to pace them well. The mini-arc at the beginning of the season on that alien planet teases the villain and establishes the stakes for the final conflict of the season. Hive then shows up at the midpoint of the season and the viewer learns more about it and it's plans as it gains power leading up to the finale. The two halves of the season are split up to provide the viewer with a satisfying climax halfway through the season because 22 episodes is a long time.

Arrow introduces Damien Darhk and HIVE immediately and you have no idea what they want until the last five or so episodes. HIVE only exists to hire masked goons so that Oliver and company can have the same exact fight throughout the entire season over and over again. It's a 23 episode slog and nothing happens.

That isn't even getting into the fact that Agents of Shield also has things like, choreographed fights, CGI superhero abilities, and the ability to build a diversity of sets other than 'loft' and 'cave'.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oh I see, NOW they have a plot line for a vigilante district attorney.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Thea should have murdered Malcom years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Why are there so many new characters on this show.

• Locked thread