Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
It's too early for Diggle to die. He has been one of the strongest characters on the show, and Oliver's voice of reason. Unless the actor is ready to leave, I don't see Diggle dying until the final season. Oliver + Felicity + Laurel + Thea does not make for a good on screen team. Lance has been borrowed time since season 2, so I'm guessing he dies, or Felicity dies. The only way they could make Olicity worse is to make it a love triangle with Laurel, and since Laurel is the end game, Felicity needs to be taken out of the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

VDay posted:

Grave could be pretty much anyone but my money's on Thea.

The problem with Thea dying is that it would leave Oliver with no known (to him at least) blood relatives left. Killing off the last of a guy's family doesn't gel with the goal to lighten the mood this season. Diggle dying would leave Oliver with no friends, and he would be a guy who fights crime with his current lover, ex and destined to be future lover, and sister. With the show on really shaky footing last season, it would be an odd move to completely ruin the team dynamic they have been building since season one.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Flash was good last night, so I guess Arrow has to suck this week.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

I actually think Thea takes the lead in the 'guess-the-grave-game'. Throwing the bit about needing the blood lust to stop by killing the maker seems too prophetic to ignore. After Felicity, Thea would be the one he'd be the most torn up over and have Oliver reconsider his no kill oath.

Why would they make a point of Barry showing up to the funeral of someone he never interacted with? Thea will most likely give in to the bloodlust and become Cheshire. Oliver has to have one (known) remaining family member left or else this show will be more depressing than In Treatment. Felicity is a strong possibility as she needs to be out of the picture for Oliver/Laurel, and once we find out who died, we will almost be four seasons in to a six-season plan. Felicity has to go, and permanently, for Oliver to reach his end game. Diggle is another possibility - but if he goes, Oliver won't have any substantive male relationships left. Diggle's role would also be the most difficult to replace.

Lance is probably the only character who could die without throwing the show off balance.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Shouldn't Oliver have spent at least some of his last 3 years taking some online classes to get a degree?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think that Diggle is going to be in that grave in 6 months.

Diggle has a happy family. Plus Diggle runs around wearing a T-Mask at the same time they're introducing Mr. Terrific. It's not a huge leap to think that Terrific just picked up Diggles outfit along with a T shaped helmet.

If Diggle dies, Oliver has no male relationships left. Unless they can resurrect Tommy Merlyn, Diggle's role can't be replaced.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Now that everything on the CW that is not a DC property or Supernatural has tanked, maybe they will be willing to expand their comic book show line up. Keep Arrow and Flash as the two anchor shows, and have a 10-13 episode run of Constantine in the Fall, with LoT in the spring.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

:bubblewoop: CAPTAIN FLIPPY! :bubblewoop:

He has to seriously up his flip game now that Zoom pulled off the flip+lightning catch.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
It's amazing how far Arrow has come. 3 years ago, Arrow was this grounded low-budget Nolan Batman ripoff trying to find its feet, and now, in addition to ushering in an avalanche of comic-book shows, its spawning a spinoff about a man with a shrinking suit, 2 hawk people, criminals with a heat gun and a cold gun, a reanimated corpse, and two people who fuse into a flying, fire-throwing man hopping in a space ship to to travel through time and stop an immortal man. This is after a speedster threw a supersonic punch to knock a super-intelligent gorilla through a breach that leads to Gorilla City on Earth-2.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Seems like season 3 Felicity is still out there in another time line, and will likely emerge when the secret inevitably comes out. I really hope she is the one in the grave. Arrow would be so much better with her dead, and Mr. Terrific taking over the tech duties.

I'm a little surprised that they used this crossover, which was going to bring in viewers who don't usually watch Arrow, to deal with personal melodrama rather than show off the Arrow cast at their best - kicking rear end and being bros.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Oliver just found out, through a paternity test run by Barry, that he has a 9 year old boy - and that it was his mother who kept the secret from him. I think he is allowed to have a little bit of time to process that on his own. In addition, if the mother of your child makes a reasonable request (considering how much of a mess the Queen family has been), Oliver should respect her wishes. Even if Oliver told Felicity - what good could from that? Felicity is going to meddle in the kid's life constantly, and encourage Oliver to do the same.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Stayne Falls posted:

But it's not very difficult at all to say, "I'm respecting the wishes of someone who doesn't want me to talk about it with other people."

Then Felicity questions why this other person's wishes takes precedence over what she perceives to be Oliver's sworn duty to tell her everything the instant he discovers it. Oliver would have a better chance reasoning with Grodd than Felicity.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

hcreight posted:

And killing William would be Jessica Jones-level hosed. I don't think this is the show to be doing that kind of story.

I take it you haven't been introduced to Genghis Clarke.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

flosofl posted:

I think it was more the test came across her desk, she recognized it was a paternity test, and wondered where the gently caress that came from since he never said "Yeah, I might have a kid, but I'm not 100% sure."

I'd be pretty pissed myself. That is kind of a relationship breaking secret.

The being said, she did over-react a bit.

Oliver literally just found out a pretty major, and life changing bit of information. He is entitled to have some time to process what the paternity test revealed.

If we got around to April and they are taking another trip to Central City, with Oliver making excuses to duck out for a few hours to go see someone - Felicity will have a right to question what he is keeping from her (and even then he should only tell her that his hands are tied, and it's not his secret to tell).

William's mother has a pretty good reason to not want her 9 year old kid to enter Oliver's world. As far as she knows, Oliver is an irresponsible billionaire playboy who took off on a yacht with his girlfriend's sister, his mother paid her to fake a miscarriage and then was a co-conspirator on a mass-murder before being stabbed by a madman, and his sister is a reckless bratty drug-addict. In addition to Oliver being missing for 5 years and everyone assuming he was dead, he just went missing for another few months a year and a half ago. There is really nothing to suggest that Oliver Queen's life has become stable enough for a child to be introduced into it.

Even from Oliver's point of view - why would you want anyone else to know you have a child? In his line of work, that is bad news. At the moment, the only people who know Oliver has a kid is the mother, Oliver, and a guy who could literally carry the child half way across the country before a villain even finished voicing a threat against them. Disregarding the safety aspect, do you really think Felicity wouldn't meddle in the kid's life? In 24 hours she would have hacked into his school records, had him mysteriously awarded a scholarship to the best private school in the city, got the mother a promotion at work, and would be monitoring the kid's life 24/7 as if he were on the Truman Show.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The death of whoever ends up in the grave is going to come out of nowhere. There is no way Felicity doesn't survive this. If she were to die, it's going to be something else that kills her.

It's good to see the Arrow writers remembered that this is a season finale.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Woden posted:

What got me was Black Driver wasn't driving Felicity and Oliver at the end in the limo. How does that dude earn money these days?

Thea financially supports her deranged brother and his friend who refuse to get real jobs.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Lance will probably die, but I don't think he is the one in that grave. If Barry is showing up to the funeral, it has to be someone he got to know - and if it's not Felicity, that only leaves Diggle.

They have building up to this death since the premiere, and since Oliver and Laurel can't die, and Felicity is confirmed to be alive, the only other death that carries such weight would be of our Black Driver.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Diggle is so dead. Andy is still loyal to Darkh, and will likely be the one to serve him up to be killed.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I wonder if we'll ever return to the secret Lian Yu prison, to find out Captain Boomerang starved to death because nobody remembered to feed him.

DC Films made sure he is dead. Tatsu was probably killed by Nyssa as well just to completely wipe out any overlap with the Suicide Squad.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 5, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I thought Darkh believed that children were off-bounds - hence him rejecting Anarky?

I'm still going with Diggle being in the grave. All the focus on William is a red herring.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

bbf2 posted:

I thought for sure that the stuff with Oliver stepping into the duel and even cutting off Malcolm's hand was a show and part of a bigger master plan that the two of them had constructed together.

But I guess it isn't? Which would be fine, I guess, but the thing that makes no sense is that apparently Oliver is able to completely kick Malcolm's rear end and neutralize him in like 10 seconds. So doesn't that make him a complete non-threat from this point forward? Especially now that he's missing a hand.
That's why I didn't like Oliver beating old R'as last season. There is no one that should pose a challenge to him now in a fight, other than metahumans (and perhaps a Slade on Mirakuru). The problem is that he can't both beat Merlyn this easily and then still have trouble with guys like Anarky.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Someone on of the 4chan threads posted some clips of the Season 1 fights, and it's amazing just how poor the action scenes have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8vO9yYfjE

Why can't we go back to that Arrow? This Felicity & friends show we have now with fight scenes that consist of people pairing up and twirling around without making contact is really dull. Oliver is never going to get to go on adventures to other Earths, or save the timeline from being wiped from existence, so let's get back to the sociopathic vigilante who was dropping bodies all over town - at least that was fun. With Flash and LoT being light-hearted and goofy, it's fine for Arrow to be dark and brutal.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
https://twitter.com/JamesBamford/status/698274159919366144
So Felicity's mom gets time for a sideplot, and we have time for some pointless Felicity + father time, but you need to cut down the Oliver Queen vs. Malcolm Merlyn fight that ends with Merlyn losing a hand...

There is no fixing this show.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

It seems like Malcolm should have been able to salvage some sort of quasi-League after its dissolution. Like, suddenly there would be a ton of homeless ninjas just wandering around the city. Surely some would follow him.

There is a lot of money to be made striking it out on your own as a mercenary (if Slade is any indication).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Having to deal with the Olicity drama surrounding William is a really bad point to end the show before a hiatus.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
It felt like they needed to catch up with an entire half seasons' worth of Season 3 Felicity in one episode and then overshot and made her even worse than you could possible imagine. At this point, even Vandal Savage and Zoom could teach her how to be a decent human being.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Oliver better stick up for himself and tell Felicity to gently caress off. He needs to kick her off the team, and probably throw her in Barry's Super Gitmo until she learns some decency and respect.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

10 Beers posted:

And yet is still the goddamn voice of reason about Oliver not telling anyone about William.

And will likely be the one in the grave, while Felicity gets to continue being a horrible person for years to come.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
This felt like one of those Teen Titans Go episodes where they go for maximum trolling of bitter Teen Titans/Young Justice fans.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
That was the single worst hour of television I've ever seen, and I made it through 2 season of Under the Dome. Season 3 is an absolute masterpiece in comparison to Season 4.

I watched CW shows before Arrow, so it's not as if I'm expecting Daredevil fight choreography combined with Game of Thrones production quality and emotional depth on par with In Treatment. I'm fully prepared to take the bad with the good, but with Arrow there is no good. Season 3, for all its poo poo, was at least coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

raditts posted:

Let's not go crazy, season 4 was lovely but it wasn't season 3 lovely.

Season 3 was far better than this. It was stupid, but not devoid of any logic like Season 4 has been. Oliver Queen is not even the star of his own show anymore. Felicity went from tech support girl to CEO of a multi-billion dollar tech company, to almost single handedly saving the world from a nuclear apocalypse. Remember how stupid it was when Felicity used her tablet to hack into the leagues fighter jet last season? Now she hacked into a nuke that was flying right at her. Last week she redirected a nuke onto a smaller town and let tens of thousands of people die when she has Barry Allen on speed dial.

In the meantime Merlyn is still somehow getting a free pass to do whatever he wants, including helping to bring on the end of the world, all because he will protect Thea in a fight. This is all in addition to the whole killing Laurel plot (especially after killing Sara to allow her to take up the mantle in the first place).

There is no redeeming qualities to the show. Flash has its fan service, Arrow season 3 had its moments like Oliver vs. Ras part 1, but season 4 had nothing. We had one episode with above average fight scenes, but I can't even tell you what that episode was about. Season 3 headed down the wrong path, but season 4 is just a garbled and embarrassing mess.

• Locked thread