Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I think a perfect balance would've been somewhere between the old system and what we have now. I find the new system much more restrictive. Especially now that so many traits are highly situational and you are no longer able to take multiple adept / master traits.

I do certainly agree with the stats being divorced from traits, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Joust posted:

You should at least do the first tier of precursor quests for it. If we can base it on the teaser for The Juggernaut then it will involve you travelling the world to understand what it really means to be a fish.

Does this mean Birdpuncher would get a Nevermore immediately upon release?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I had carrots last night! Oh Lorikeet, I am so sorry. :gonk:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

This is great news. Great, great news.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

^Pigments, go ctrl+f for dye on the patch notes

Maybe they made dyes able to drop again, after they restricted them in the wardrobe update.

It's taken me 45 minutes to get to a mere 100,000 files remaining and I haven't seen it moving faster that single digit kb/s in 20 of those, hooray

It could be worse, you could have the patcher repeatedly crash within seconds of opening it with 70k files remaining. :smith:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

After dozens of crashes with the patcher, I had a hunch and decided to throttle the download rate of the patcher to 100kb and it works. Unfortunately, this means I'll be done downloading HoT proper by...oh, I dunno, Sunday. :negative:

I then set it to 500kb and it crashed.

Set it to 200kb and it crashed.

Eased it to 150kb and so far, so good. I've never seen anything like this.

Edit: Scratch all that - endless crashing again. :sigh:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 24, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Welp, it finally happened. 3 years of playing and a patch broke my launcher :ohdear:

I've had the same problem since release. It stymied their tech support for a good while until I got the idea of restarted in Safe Mode + Networking to download HoT. Granted, the patcher still crashed frequently but at least it crashed every 5-10 minutes vs instantly - 20 seconds. Sadly that patch still seems to exist (had it come up during this latest patch, which is lovely, by the way). I wonder what changed with the patcher to have turned it from something that was rock-solid for 3 years to the cellophane paper it has been since HoT's release.

Hefty posted:

Finally finished. Thanks, Tivac!

Very nice, what are the other pieces? :aaa:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

It got a little ridiculous when I found out there were normal harvestable mushrooms in the third (?) zone that come up with the standard harvest icon but if you click them it's all UNLOCK MUSHROOM HARVESTING TO HARVEST THIS!!! Like, seriously?

To me it seemed like a great simulation of a F2P account.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 2, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

That's not so bad when you get to the new areas and realize that enemies are virtually immune to a lot of effects like immobilize, chill, etc.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Halloween gramophone thing :negative:

Even behind swim boosters? :v:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Kessel posted:

the requirements for the legendary armour collection are so ridiculous that nobody who gets the armour will need it by that point

Keep in mind, folks: this is coming from Kes - someone who has more legendaries than most people have characters.

I figured the requirements would be insane, but to hear that from you shatters my expectations.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Are engineers still frustrating to play and a major cause of carpal tunnel? I love my engy, but they are just so much work to actually play.

I didn't so much mind the work, it just was that the payoff wasn't there. It was jarring to switch to another character, be as much / more effective and think, "man, that's all I have to do?"

Ever since the official release of HoT, the patcher crashes continuously whenever it reaches the "Playable" range of a patch. If I restarted in safe mode, it'd crash less frequently and after several attempts eventually I'd get patched. It was just an obnoxious process that made me dread patch days. Even Anet's tech support didn't know what the cause was. The puzzling part was that in beta, it was perfectly fine. It wasn't until release day that the issue cropped up and has remained ever since.

I'd finally uninstalled GW2 and attempted a fresh install, but the problem remained. I wasn't about to reformat in hopes of fixing GW2 (especially when there wasn't an issue with anything else). So until I run across a solution, I'm stuck in GW2 limbo. :(

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Finally got the issue sorted with the GW2 patcher and can finally install / update / play again! :toot: I was curious what has changed in the past 6-9 months in regards to new runes / sigils and skill / trait balances, but I suspect it hasn't been much.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

i remember someone asking kes to play something other than engi in raids once and then there was this accent in mumble and i don't remember what happened next but nobody has ever brought the matter up again

:allears: Kes is great.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Kessel posted:

it's causing no end of trouble with regard to class comp, though. I actually felt so bad after today that I'm kitting out and trying to learn a hammer guard. it's a completely new experience for me because I have literally thousands of hours invested into engineer and like a total of 60 hours invested into all other classes combined.

i can't recommend engineer to someone relatively new to high-end content. this has been true since the beginning of gw2 but it's doubly so now. while it's true that only scrapper has eaten the nerf bat in the past few balance patches (and even then mostly for pvp), and it's also true that condi engi has a very high theoretical dps, it's important to note that 1) that dps is on small, stationary targets and 2) you won't hit anywhere near that theoretical because it's a ridiculous execution check.

what you are /supposed/ to do is keep every cd timer in your head and always use the most damaging skill out of all your weapons/kits combined. in reality all you can do as a human being is to make sure you have the fire-based cooldowns (incen ammo, blowtorch, fire bomb, the fire field from flamethrower + airblast) in your head and just flow through on everything else. you also have to pull a lot of bullshit tricks on non-ideal bosses (e.g. if you know that a boss is going to be dragged around a little by the tank, even if it's just a little, you have to do some positioning gymnastics to make sure the boss is going to walk along the long axis of your FT fire field - otherwise you risk losing out on damage.)

can you keep pace in high-end content? yeah. should you start on it now? no. it's more trouble than it's worth.

(this is a post specifically about engineer's role in raiding and if anyone uses it to start a dumpster fire about casual play i will cut them)

I'm in very much the same mind there. I tried switching to some other classes (Necro, Warrior, Mesmer and Guardian) and I found myself looking for more to do because I was so accustomed to keeping a mental tally of 3-4 different toolbars and half a dozen invisible timers. I was effective on those classes, but I was also thinking "this is...it?" because I'm so used to having to work harder for it. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the design philosophy behind Engineer skills was to take something from another class and split its effect across 2 skills plus (sometimes) a trait. I'd be okay with the extra work if it enabled me to be more effective that the other classes one skill but it generally is equal or worse. That's not even going into the traits that seem like traps or work against themselves (Juggernaut, Streamlined Kits et al.).

It just creates this quagmire of situational triggers that serve no purpose than to make the class more unintuitive and cumbersome to both play and design for. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know or that we've talked about. It's just frustrating that after nearly a year of not being able to play because of technical issues that even had Anet scratching their heads, I'm finally able to get back to find that not much has changed.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I've only taken a cursory glance over the Engy changes, but I'm rather liking what I'm seeing so far. :aaaaa: They finally realized that people may actually want to use the flamethrower to burn things! Now that's a step in the right direction.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Kessel posted:

qT's condi engi updated his DPS video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5jcpc5AOiw

Takeaways: you can probably skip flamethrower 2

I suspected that the cast time of FT 2 would be clunky for a rotation, but not so much that it would be skipped entirely. Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Kessel posted:

time to unlearn years of engineer healing turret muscle memory

Yep. But hey, the best Engy heal just got better!

• Locked thread