Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hate MMO players

Don't feel excluded just because you're trapped by your obesity. Try doing some arm circles or lifting a bucket of nacho cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice, you got to see Nilgoow's basement!

If only.... :smith:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
This is my exact face when playing the living story.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

malhavok posted:

Everyone keeps over rating the hero point grind and under rating the mastery one. Already almost maxed dragonhunter, starting from zero it should be no more than a day or so per alt.

Thoom posted:

Yeah, I'm super not worried about the elite spec grind. Once you have maxed masteries, a tour of the whopping 4 Maguuma maps to hit all the hero point locations on an alt shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

The initial cost of the the Maguuma masteries still seems high to me if you actually need to max out the jungle masteries to get all of the hero points. If you don't then who cares. I'd agree that alts are going to be trivial compared to the first character however.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Mastery is account bound right? I can't tell.

Yes.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Xae posted:

It is ~500K per level of the Section. So Section 1 costs 500k, Section 2 costs 1M, Section 3 costs 1.5M (roughly).

There are 6 Sections in Gliding, 6 in Itzel Lore, 5 in Exalted and I'm assuming 5 or 6 in Nuhoch Lore.

All together that is ~40 Million XP for all Maguuma Mastery Training.

To craft your legendary you will need ~5 Million XP.

:siren: These are all projections based on what I have seen. The curves may change :siren:

Someone with a poopier sock feel free to correct the values.

You don't need this though. You can finish the story and, as far as anyone knows, get a maxed elite spec without going anywhere near this deep into any of the trees.

Not that 5 million XP isn't a lot, but the total amount available isn't really indicative of what regular players are going to going after as a baseline.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would love for someone to make a 3D version of the zone maps for those of us cursed with poor spatial visualization skills,

This is something that I came across a few months ago so I don't know how accurate it is. It's also not textured so good luck with that. Maybe you can cross your eyes and look at this and the mini map. :downs:

http://tyria3d.com/version_0.1.html

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone found a map of hero points and where they are, what it takes to get them, etc? If not, I might throw something together where we can collaborate.

Not that I want to spoil it for anyone, because exploring the new maps is some of the most fun I've had in a video game in a really long time. It's just nice to have a second option.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Mairn posted:

Who would have guessed launching a patch at primetime NA on the weekend would completely kill the patch servers. Oh right, anyone with half a brain :v:

:Anet:

You're an abusive little guy, aren't you.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The story mode is craaaazy. :2bong:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It's real!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

I'll second everyone else's frustration on the elite spec unlocking with my reason from my own stubbornness: I've waited a long time to play with a staff on my thief, and by god I'm going to do it, except now I'm running only two trait lines in order to use it. I am left with two options: play the old content with my elite weapon really, really slowly (i.e. one hero point at a time) or play the new content with my old weapons, which I have no desire to do. I just want to use a staff and not get my rear end handed to me.

My personal anecdote for the population problem: I played from 9-11pm PDT last night and I didn't see a single commander tag in Verdant Brink the whole time.

I don't see people using commander tags all that often unless I'm using one myself. You can't expect to be led arond in a zerg because there are just too many events going on at the same time, and people are generally off doing their own thing with small groups when there isn't a zone-wide event.

nessin posted:

Wow, I just hit 80 earlier today and went to the first HoT zone on my Revenant (I'd just done the intro quest one of my other characters) and after exploring half the map there is literally just one item I've been able to interact with, the Flamethrower challenge banner just south of the entrance. Everything else pops up a notice that I have to complete some masteries before I can use them or insta kills me when I try to approach it (a couple of the Mastery Points).

Get used to playing with other people I guess. You can do most of the hero ones with 3 people, some are soloable with the right classes.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 25, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't this assuming you already have all the masteries necessary to get to the various points?

No. People will port you and we went in order from the start of the zone, so you don't even need any waypoints and will have them all when you're done.

Stop crying.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

I really wish I had spent more time in the betas trying out all the different classes. Now I am not sure on what to play and the elite specs are gated behind some poo poo. People are loving the chronomancer but I didn't play it and very few people stream it.

Chronomancer is really good thanks to the reduction to the damage that phantasms take. They're pretty close to invincible now so phantasm builds are great for boss fights. Shatter is good as well thanks to the alacrity and crit chance you get from the chronomancer line, but you need to have a good many traits before it becomes useful. The shatter build is really active though, maybe on par with daredevil in terms of actiony goodness. I don't know what else you were considering but it's not a bad choice. You also get the fifth shatter right away.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Daredevil is super good. Staff is great and it makes S/P and shortbow even better sets. Staff is also great but it lacks the CC of S/P. The blind is really useful though.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 26, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I sort of wonder if I should just go to another, simpler class before I get too invested in Engineer. Necromancer looks cool too now that I remember its Lich form thing.

(ed) Thanks for all the Engineer advice by the way :)

Reaper (Necromancer elite) is very braindead and is even better now that minion master is a braindead spec. Rev is also a literal medically induced coma if you like to activate your utilities and auto-attack. Options abound.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Finally maxed out my first elite spec.

Day 3

Brain In A Jar posted:

I never thought I would say this but my elite specialization pick of the bunch is Daredevil. Yes, daredevil.

The physical skills add so much to the class, and change it to a really visceral punchy melee playstyle. Not only do you get the extra dodge, but you also get just a loving boatload of stuns. By the time you get the elite (which is incredible, and really short cd) you can kill most mobs up to Veterans by just giving them a brutal fisting with one set of cooldowns.

My biggest issue with Thief was always that the d/d invis, backstab, invis playstyle was boring, and that the reactive evasion was limited enough that you had to know all the tells to be able to avoid a lot of things. Daredevil gives way more leniency in this approach, changes the play completely, and is overall really great.

Level a Daredevil today.

Agreed. The playstyle is great and it's really strong.

fadam posted:

I quit playing this game a few years ago after I burned myself getting a legendary hammer (Juggernaut?). I know the expansion came out, but is now a good time to come back? Are they still doing the thing where they put content in the game for two weeks then remove it forever? That always bugged me.

Yes. Game is good. Good time to play game.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Not only that but he's ignoring just how much you played per day. If you were only doing like 2 hours a day then that's pretty quick. There's also whether or not you were using goon trains-- goon trains are a great way to make lemonade out of the situation but they were definitely not how I was hoping to unlock elites and pretty much kneecap any sense of map exploration.

Why did you do the train if you wanted to explore?

Exploring the new zones and trying to find my way to all the hidden stuff is my favorite part of the expansion. It's kind of sad if you ruined that just to leapfrog the progression mechanic.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
ITT we are genuinely disappointed that we can't just blow the entire expansion out of the water in a night so we can say it's bad.

Living Story, how I long for your temporary embrace.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yes thank you for telling me how to prioritize what I wanted to play in the expansion and how I wanted to play it.

What was the original pitch for the vanilla launch again?

You don't know how to have fun in a game and it's sad. You are the saddest poster in at least the last three pages.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

You still have the issue that the story is (was) gated by the masteries which nobody intended to level which required doing events in the zone that nobody intended to explore which is coincidentally how you would find the mastery and hero points that nobody wants.

Why can't elite specs be a login reward for loyal veterans? Why did anet even make new maps if they were just going to fill them with so much content that it takes more than 3 hours to complete?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

I've been trying out Chronomancer, and it's fun, but on the other hand it requires me to give up some excellent traits. Basically I normally run a Domination-Dueling-Illusion shatter, and now I have to give up at least one line of excellent shatter traits. Domination has Imagined burden (and Mental anguish), Illusion has Master of Fragmentation (plus lots of good minor traits) and Dueling has of course Deceptive evasion. I've run that build open world for so long it's like my second nature.

What kind of chronomancers do other mesmers here run? Also, what's the best way to use continuum split?

Without going too far into ~balance~, I'll just say that phantasm builds are absolutely absurd right now. I've soloed most of the champion hero points that people are complaining about using a signet build with phantasms (Dom, dueling, illusions).

That being said, my shatter build is taking the normal Dom/dueling traits but then swapping out for the top three chrono traits to get that 100% crit chance. I'm using sword and pistol offhand with sword in both main slots. The damage is pretty insane and I can still slot utilities like blink/mantras that make getting around the new zones a lot easier.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 26, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Sjonnar posted:

No, i said i'm interested in the new content, but i want to play it as a scrapper not become a scrapper at the end... wait, this is going right over your head isn't it? I'll try again.

What a wonderful little strawman you've built there! Mummy loves you, little aspie retard.

:allears:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

treizebee posted:

You have to slow your roll when discussing RAGE WHINING the game to Nilgoow.

You spin me right round spin me right round

This is good. Very good. Other guy, take notes.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Thank you both. I guess deciding on builds and gearing and such is something you don't really do until 80, right? I'm still just kind of picking whatever gear seems to have bigger numbers, whatever those numbers actually are :v:

I'm still forcing myself to truck along on Engineer. It's not that I don't like it--I do--I just see e.g. Guardians or Revenants or Necromancers running around and think "man those skills/that armor looks cool, I should make one of those instead".

At least I'm pretty consistent with myself in thinking that Mesmer and Thief (and Warrior, to a lesser degree) look boring to watch :v:

You'll end up with all kind of alts if you get into the game.

As far as gear goes, I wouldn't put too much effort into it besides trying to stack more offensive vs defensive stats if you feel like you're over the top in one facet.

Engineer has great condi damage and power damage, so you picked a flexible if not difficult first class.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

I doubt it's the case, but I've gotten weird graphical bugs like this when running GW1 and GW2 at the same time.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

I feel really smug even more smug about having crafted so much ascended armor after seeing how expensive it is now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

No, that sounds dumb. If it takes you an hour to get 10 HP from WvW, its better to just run to the soloable HP in the new zones and spend like 10 minutes for 10 HP. The Dulfy guides for the first three zones have enough soloable ones that you can probably get like 120 in like 2-3 hours depending on whether you have the gliding, updraft and mushroom jumping.

I agree. This is definitely the case if WvW is really that slow. I got like 70 points for my scrapper solo in like 2 hours including a few where I had to solo the champs because nobody showed up to help. The Dulfy guides make it really clear what to do (if you want to spoil it) so it's much faster to get points now if you were tripped up by the maps or mechanics previously.

I'm going to try the trick with alacrity on the bacon one now that I have my chrono almost done if I can find a few brave dentists willing to be my guinea pigs.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

What about the new weapon skins I saw on zone vendors, like the Auric? Aural? set, or whatever it's called, I don't remember

You get your choice of 1 of 3 class-sprcific Auric weapons from the story. I don't think people are that far along in terms of knowing what you need to do to craft/buy stuff because even the poopsockers didn't finish the story until saturday and some of it likely lies behind the masteries, crafting, recipe drops, zone events which haven't been beaten.

Full size expansion, day 5, etc. I think people will, in general, have to wait to see what the expansion holds rather than the normal expectation that the entirety of the content will be on reddit 3 weeks in advance with a zero day dulfy guide.

Edit: Some of it is definitely crafting. There are vendors that sell 'gear' parts iirc and there are class-specific unlocks for 'gear' weapons in the elite spec collections. Training the masteries to trade with the itzel/nuhoch/exalted to get access to the vendors and seeing what currency they use and which parts they sell is probably a good start for anyone looking for a weapon skin.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 27, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
There are also Pact/Vigil/Priory backpacks, a unique weapon (no spoiler), a handful of trinkets, and iirc two bladed armor pieces you can get from the story.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Do the elite spec armor pieces eventually combine to make a single hideous armor set? With 6 slots and 9 classes I would assume so.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Cyron posted:

I think most of them are helms and shoulders sadly. so you can't make a chimera armor class.

drat.. At least that leaves a spot open for the knifedick piece.

Schpyder posted:

There's a new set of Guild armor as well, probably available from upgraded guild halls. Take a look in the wardrobe. There's also maybe a "machined" set of weapons that I only know about because they're listed in the collections for the upgraded elite spec weapons. Might just be collection trash and not actually usable, tho.

This is the 'gear' set I was talking about. In that case it must come from the frog vendor and crafting because I'm 99% sure that it trades the Airship Gears from the cargo chests for a Machined Core or something.

Maybe..

Machined Core + 250 Charged Lodestones + 250 Powerful Blood + ??? = Machined Weapon

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 27, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Anyone want to grind out 400 HP for me on my engineer, necro, mesmer, and rev?

How did you manage to hit 80 and not get any hero points?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

INCORRECT ASSUMPTION.Though I did tome my rev to 80 so i have 0 extra points.

I've got 30-50 on each of my other characters.

Are you offering ?

Sure. Send me your login details and I'll gladly power level the characters that you don't actually play.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Man, you are all about terrible assumptions today. Those are the 4 characters I mainly play.
Sorry ItBurns, but with logic powers like that I don't think you can be trusted with sensitive login information. Thanks though!

drat I have never been so owned before. now I know why you are called Lord and I am definitely burned!!!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Should I be completing maps as I level or just moving on as I outlevel hearts? My norn necromancer's at 17 I think, in the second norn zone after 100%ing the first one.

You'll want to get the Hero Points from all the zones, and getting waypoints as you level will save you headaches later on when you want to do guild missions, world completion, or need some random item from a vendor in the middle of the zone. I wouldn't worry too much about 100%ing every zone if it means doing some tedious heart.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Great, now I can't play or have fun in a video game because I have too many points and anet will just ruin all the fun I already had by lowering the bar for other people. Where is the point refund for loyal veterans???

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Razzled posted:

Does berzerker suck or something?

It's not PS/EA soooo... Warrior is in the same boat as ele in the sense that they already have a ton of good spec.

It's good, just not as amazing as other specs. It's also condi based for the most part. If you like sword then you'll like Berserker, but there is a notable lack of synergy since on is bleeding and the other is fire, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
For real though the mob difficulty is fine.

• Locked thread