Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3obkcl/guild_wars_2_inflation_research/

Interesting thread about the GW2 economy, a dev was posting in there and gives some insight on what anet likes to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Scratch that, 600 stacks. This is either going to make me rich or I'll lose 30 gold.

You might be in for a long wait, Anet has let leather be fairly worthless since before ascended crafting came out. I'd say the only sure bet is ectos if it ever dips again, the dev literally said that Anet likes them around 35s-40s in that thread.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Holy poo poo, rip dungeon bucks. Get in while you can.

In a way in going to miss it, even as tedious as it got, but it did help pay for two legendaries and a ton of dyes.

Although I do hope they keep the world boss train economy around, that's probably one of my favorite "end game" activities in an mmo.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

There's barely even a reason to do dungeons anyways. The content is old as hell and done to death and for the most part people just do the fastest ones to get a quick handful of gold. Making other things more rewarding is certainly a way to encourage you to do it but they are clearly trying to discourage people from even doing dungeons, which is unnecessary because dungeons do a good enough job doing that themselves.

It's funny how anet has been gradually trying to divorce itself from these things. I get the feeling once they've totally made them irrelevant, they're just going to remove them and make the story paths solo missions.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dungeon changes are loving stupid, good job Anet.

I dunno man, you can't really say people ran dungeons because they were fun. Ideally dungeons would get a revamp, but I'm not going to miss them as they are.

E: oh gently caress I have to run dungeons to unlock armor skins before people stop running them. rip

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

The grind has always been there, you've just reached the point where that's all you have left.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Shy posted:

Is anyone playing this game purely for pve? The dungeons don't seem to be popular, the personal story is meh, what else is there?

A lot of goons are, the "end game" has become pretty princess simulator and what most people do is collect skins/design/change outfits every so often. Repeat for x amount of classes and races and that right there is quite a bit of time. Coupled with the fact that some skins require a lot of time invested as stated above, means people can be playing for a long period of time.

It's a pretty chill game and most of the long time goons still playing approach the game the same way; people who tend to blaze through content or play in large chunks of time tend to burnout and quit, this game just isn't made for that.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Also, apparently, it's completely intentional that charged lodestones are worth four times as much as the others :shrug:

Which makes sense considering the most popular legendaries and MF skins require them.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I've run fractals less than the other dungeons, but ughhhhh the loving hammer fractal.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Then I go back to my point: why the half measure? If it's so bad you don't want people to do it then remove it. If you think it's bad but worth keeping then improve it, or at the very least don't make it worse. There is absolutely positively no point in deincentivization. If they want people to do fractals over dungeons they don't have to try hard at all. They can very easily make fractals more profitable without making dungeons less profitable.

Because removing them would cause more problems than not: would require a total revamp in personal story, would have to fix all those email notifications you get as you level, fix the leveling rewards, they'd also need to find a place to use the skins as a reward, just for a start. They know dungeons suck rear end right now, but they don't have the resources/desire to give them the update they need, so they're essentially punting the problem down the field.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

My gut feeling is the person/team responsible for the dungeons initially didn't mesh well with the culture/philosophy at anet, so as that team got removed/transferred, the company has always wanted to sink this content, but it was being utilized by a lot of the userbase and they needed to get other content online before they could move the reward systems.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Mercurius posted:

I know that both Goon Squad and SFD have lots of people that actually like doing dungeons but let's be honest here, the majority of the playerbase were actually just using them as an efficient source of money and were skipping as much stuff as possible in order to achieve said money acquisition. If Anet wants the playerbase to move to another form of group content it makes sense that they'd move the rewards, too. I'm a bit sad because I've spent lots of time running dungeons over the last few years but I guess we'll still do them for people who want dungeonmaster and armour for princess dressup.

I doubt people in GS were/are doing dungeons for fun, but for most it's either an easy tolerable way to make gold or something that's a change of pace. I don't think fractals are well done either, the encounters there save the last bosses are laughable in terms of mechanics and even then, those bosses are pretty basic compared to other games.

I really think GW2 would be fun if it approached mobs like diablo 3 does a bit; tons of mobs with low health, that you just smash through, instead of the singular mobs with high HP.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

OH gently caress, SKAAZI, THE BUTTERFLY WINGS!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Visidan posted:

Yay mad king boss is back.

This is the first time since the initial holiday release right?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Eh not really, they've added in new fractals and made some balance changes to the existing ones and redid the reward structure. Not grand sweeping changes, but a hell of a lot more than dungeons.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

In typical anet fashion, they probably haven't thought things out that far.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

what the hell is fud?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Is it even worth leveling a crating profession? Anything you can't buy?

It's good for squeezing out some extra levels on an alt if you don't feel like doing through the leveling process again.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I guess nexon wasn't ready for raids. :smug:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You know, the irony in all of this is that if wildstar didn't tank, nexon probably would have kept onto the stock, but because wildstar crashed and burned, nexon probably felt that they weren't going to miss out on much.

So a big thank you to wildstar, for making guild wars 2 a better game.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, but that would cover my fabulous hair

Maybe the eye patch would work.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

ItBurns posted:

The restrictions they've placed on the new legendary system seem to be limited to the actual weapon themselves, so yes. It will be interesting to see what the total cost ends up being, and how that compares to ascended weapons. Currently, ascended weapons are kind of cheap because they're not using Damask. I guess it depends on whether they balance silk down or balance the other materials upwards in price. the latter

Did they mention anything about keeping the T6 gifts in the new weapons? That blog post was confusing as all hell.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Mercurius posted:

No, gifts of Mastery and Fortune aren't being used in the new one from what I gathered. They're going to give you a way to break down your current gifts to get the mats back as well from what they said.

They also said they're looking into a way for people to craft blank legendaries (so basically a stat swappable ascended weapon) so that you can have the equivalent of dual wielding the same legendary with the new ones that it isn't possible to get a second copy of.

Interesting...hopefully crafting these things is more about challenge rather than gold.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Probably not, gw2 is old enough to to have a stable player base. Besides we've gone on for months/a year since any new content has come out. If you're still playing by this point, chances are you won't stop.

Not like there is a sub fee or gear grind that will leave you in the dust if you do take a break.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Bird, which guild hall are we going to use?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

And that's a yes on illusions being included under minions for this.

Welp, this is the best change I could hope for as a mostly-PvE Mesmer. I was actually planning on not playing much around the HoT launch (because I'm addicted to Destiny goddamn please send help) but this might've changed my mind.

Don't worry, you'll get bored of destiny once you've done the raid a few times and are just waiting on that goddamn ghost shell. Also hard mode kings fall comes out the same day as HoT, so lol.

You know, with phantasms staying up longer combined with the new shatter skill and phantasm respawn trait, we might see mind wrack being used a bit more tactically.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Motherfuckers better not have locked the chronomancer shoulders at 400 points.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

the grind is real

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

the grind is real

Also bird I think you're onto something. If a lot of the poo poo is locked behind masteries, it might take a lot longer to unlock than we think. We take for granted xp gains post 80, but it takes quite a bit of events to get a level.

Ironically, the fastest place to go to get xp to unlock masteries might be....dungeons. CoF is dead, long live CoF.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I hope they crib some ideas on how to do raids from destiny, those are pretty excellent and toe the line between grognardy and mindless very well.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Shootmans aside, Anet could crib the vault of glass with the exact encounters and mechanics and it would still work within the gw2 world and it would still be amazing, that's why I think destiny's pve is so good. It's fun not because of the core gameplay, but the design. It also shows you don't need a hard tank or healer role to make engaging team encounters.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Hey, I didn't play the beta outside of peeping the new classes.

What zone do I need to have open for the new content.
Several of my characters were leveled... quickly and may not have waypoints.

Entrance is in the silverwastes, so just need those.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oof 52% downloaded, I might just go to bed and play this poo poo tomorrow.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

watch as they add a mastery that reduces hero points required to unlock stuff.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

That's what I'd much prefer to do, but I really want Chronomancer fully unlocked as soon as possible. At least I had world completion to give me a head start and I have it in an almost usable condition right now, but I still only have the first column of major traits.

I think that's why I'm so upset about how many hero points elite specs require. I'd love to just run around and explore and have fun, but I feel this pressure to unlock Chronomancer ASAP because I'm so excited about it. It's a tension I don't find fun, but I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

Gliding is really fun, though. I love that I can basically fall from any height I like as long as I tap the space bar before I land.

I wouldn't worry about hero points down the road...anet is getting savaged (and rightfully so) over the ridiculous gating. They're going to have to change it for sure.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

ItBurns posted:

Reaper (Necromancer elite) is very braindead and is even better now that minion master is a braindead spec. Rev is also a literal medically induced coma if you like to activate your utilities and auto-attack. Options abound.

yes, but it feels so goooood

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Azazell0 posted:

I've been trying out Chronomancer, and it's fun, but on the other hand it requires me to give up some excellent traits. Basically I normally run a Domination-Dueling-Illusion shatter, and now I have to give up at least one line of excellent shatter traits. Domination has Imagined burden (and Mental anguish), Illusion has Master of Fragmentation (plus lots of good minor traits) and Dueling has of course Deceptive evasion. I've run that build open world for so long it's like my second nature.

What kind of chronomancers do other mesmers here run? Also, what's the best way to use continuum split?

I've basically dropped the illusion line since illusionary persona went baseline, I haven't missed it at all and this was before the chronomancer came out.

I think you could make a case for any of the 3 lines to be dropped: with the phantasm respawn and clone spawn on shatter in the chrono line, you might not need deceptive evasion. I'm also not very sure about the effectiveness of mental anguish either, it seems rare that I catch a mob right when it's not doing anything. However I do think the illusions line is the weakest out of the 3.

So my method of continuum split: let all cooldowns come up > pop 3 clones/illusions > CS > drop timewarp, wells, some sort of dps skill sword 2 for me usually, (0or heals depending on the situation) > repeat once CS stops.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm going to cry tears of happiness for all the alts that I'll unlock, then never play.

For real though, this is an awesome change. Some of the hero points need retuning though, those loving frogs in verdant and the goddamn mushroom queen in tangled.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Whelp, someone will be grinding out masteries in lab for the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

rip bat shoulders

Kind of boggles the mind they'd lock that up behind what boils down to 5 super rare drops. Everything else is whatever, you could do it over the course of the year, but the time sensiitve mats is what sucks.

• Locked thread