Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thyrork posted:

WHY DOES THIS ONE KEEP GETTING TO ME?! :lol:

Did you know the dynamic colorful sunsets depicted in that portrait were the result of the Krakatoa fallout?

:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

Cute. I am serious though, all you are doing is saying it's great but not giving any reason as to why. Insulting my intelligence and technical knowledge is in no way going to make me change my mind.

Listen, even if it's the best OS in the world, you are doing very poorly in communicating it. If your company offers education reimbursement, I would heavily recommend taking a Dale Carnegie course. Don't feel insulted, I'm not trying to belittle the you. Quite the contrary, I'm very serious. I took all 4 of the Carnegie courses, they are fantastic and they greatly helped me. Everyone should take them at some point.

Here, let me help you a bit. In order to "win" a debate or argument, you don't get in one. Arus, when you tell someone they're wrong you have already caused that person to get defensive. That person gets all why am I wrong, no you're wrong, ect. You can't convince someone your opinion is correct, or even get the to begin liatening and trying to understand your opinions by saying they are wrong. And you know what? I actually did this at the beginning of this conversation, didn't I? I shut you down earlier in saying windows 10 was bad, and your next response was both defensive towards windows 10 as well as a challange against me and my opinions. We are never going to get anywhere with this. This is my fault.

Let's start over and have an actual discussion. I'll start by apologizing. I shouldn't have shut you down like that dude, I'm sorry. But you have you have to understand, I have a bad experience with it. The menus were buggy, to the extent that I bluescreened with a fresh restart on a new install simply by opening a profile customization window. There were multiple locations for the same options, not all of which actually altered the option. The fonts, window styles and so on were different depending on the menu, which made the entire thing feel very rushed and looked rather ugly. There were other things, but let's not dwell on this. I will admit a lot of the frustration I had with the OS was from several common programs completely loving up on it, such as firefox. At the time though they were not optimized for windows 10, and any issue firefox had with windows 10 is for mozilla to fix and not an issue of windows 10. So perhaps I'm letting that sway my opinion.

So please, arus, help me understand why you think windows 10 is so good. I'm not comfortable with ditching my current perfectly good, completely usable and still updated OS with something I can't consider completely dependable. I also don't feel like jumping head first into the beginning days of an OS, which have been historically a bit messy. For now I feel like not applying a new OS to my perfectly fine and fully functioning computer, and instead wait and watch how windows 10 develops. Again, sorry for being so confrontational about it. It was rather late and I was being a big prick.

New Thread Title.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Everyone please read. Just more. In general. Thanks.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

LiftAuff posted:

Cheapest and easiest is champion fractals. Drop rate is around 10% I think. You can raid for 10 weeks (2 Spirit Vale runs a week) and sell a ghostly infusion for a ton of gold.

What the gently caress happened to this game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Can you express this in the form of a wildstar attunement graphic please?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

WHAT!?!?? ANet announced a new feature, delivered a small portion of what they promised, and then shitcanned it forever?!? You're Kidding!!!! How completely atypical!!! How unexpected! How *bursts into tears*.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

It's a decent amount of stuff for an MMO expac, I've seen worse (WoD), but it shouldn't have been 50 fuckin' dollars.

Think of what you earned for that difference though. You've learned to never give this company money ever again. You can't put a price on knowledge.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So as someone who basically stopped playing after HoT I started playing again in the last few days here and I'm liking the game a lot more now than I did then, fwiw.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I raided as a guardian once. I hit things with my hammer and then we won. The end..

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

I enjoy Guild Wars 2

This but unironically.

Also Zodiac skins are 50% off!!

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 9, 2016

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah but when are they gonna raise the character slot limit.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Xun posted:

Rip Taimi

Don't get my hopes up.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

That was so much fun.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

that charr from the norn blackout storyline

Those first thirty levels or so of the personal story are so good. Especially this part.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mizuti posted:

I'm glad to see more stuff about the living season. Still, is it just me or is this an odd time to bring up the White Mantle story arc? We just got to this massive jungle filled with brand new people, areas, and plot threads, yet we're getting bounced back to Kryta to wrap up a GW1 story. Aside from the raid and the bandit events, they haven't been involved with Heart of Thorns.

The White Mantle have been sort of lurking in the background for awhile now in the Maguuma Wastes especially. The champ bandit with the traps in Silverwastes for example, if you talk to the woman outside for information she tells you they believe they're part of some crazy old cult. There are white mantle symbols scattered throughout the Season 2 living story, etc.

Whether it will be any good we'll see but it is a plot line they've been hinting at for awhile now. I haven't really paid attention to the plot of raids so idk what they had going on there though.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

quote:

A message from the Guilds Team:
We are happy to announce that we have made a number of performance improvements to the guild decoration system and will be raising the decoration cap in the guild hall from 1000 decorations to 2000 decorations in the July 26 release! As you may know, this has been a long-standing goal, and we’re delighted to be able to make the increase at this time.

I expect big things Mesmer Asura + whoever made all those cute little troll face guys in goon hall.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Hall-Decoration-Increase/first#post6252978

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Not only can you join 5 guilds, you can see all 5 chats!

And more importantly, turn them off!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

New map is lots of fun. I hope to see more zones with this "bunch of rocks floating in the air" style to them, makes gliding great.

Advanced Gliding is the best mastery in the game (well best HoT mastery, best one is autoloot) so yeah definitely get that. Zone would be much less fun if you ran out of gliding. Life is less fun when you run out of gliding.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nickhimself posted:

I've been playing Warrior and enjoying the axe main/sword off with greatsword as my second weapon set. Questing is either solo or with my wife, we've also started checking out some fractals and might get more involved in that.

How good is Knight's gear for overall usefulness in damage and survivability without giving up too much personal DPS, but also not going too far into glass cannon territory? It seems pretty reasonable over Berserker's. If Knight's isn't a great choice, what would be more in line with how I play?

Nothing is ascended yet, but I do have enough laurels to buy a piece of jewelry. Starting fractals will be a nice journey into difficulty ramp, I imagine. I'd like to minimize how many sets of gear I'll need for as long as possible while I build up resources and crafting skill.

For open world pve and low level fractals knights will do you just fine. It's hard to tell you how things will suit how you play though without knowing how you play. The thing about higher level fractals is that stuff hits so hard that having high toughness doesn't help anywhere near as much as killing it faster does. Wearing zerker gear sort of forces you to learn to dodge/blind/block etc.

Your first ascended piece should be an amulet, since the laurel vendor is the only place to buy those. I suggest you save yourself the trouble later and buy a berserk stat one. Especially if you end up doing higher level fractals you will find yourself wishing everything died a lot faster and the best gear to do that with is zerker, and double especially if you're looking to minimize your gear sets, other than big scale wvw a zerker set will cover the entire game for a warrior.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nickhimself posted:

Thank you, this was very helpful. I'm glad I held off on buying anything with laurels last night because now I'll feel a lot better picking up an amulet.

Which build is generally preferred for general pve? I saw this one in the dulfy warrior guide. Is that good? I question it because there's zero condition cleansing and everything I'm fighting seems to auto-cast every snare ever alongside every other condition possible.

If you mean just running around in the open world, literally play whatever you think is fun. I recommend having Discipline like wallet says for the 25% move boost passive with melee weapons as that will make running around less tedious. For fractals and stuff, everyone will expect you to be Phalanx Strength (the build Wallet linked, or some variety of it) but that's not as much fun for running around in the world because its slower to move.

Also don't be worried about mixing your builds up, if you think you need more condi/stun break just toss in shake it off or balanced stance or something. I like having a ranged and melee weapon for just wandering around type stuff, I find greatsword/longbow (for lots of little mobs) or hammer/longbow (for breaking stunbars on big guys faster) the most fun but it really can't be said enough for open world pve just play what you find the most fun, almost everything is effective.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The new zone has a circle ley line that you can glide around forever and it is the best thing and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Would you link some good guides?

dulfy.net/category/gw2/ has literally every guide you will ever need.

lucifirius posted:

I got Hearts and Minds finished today with the help of a goon, sadly I can't remember his name, but thanks man.

Bloodstone Fen is pretty fun, hopefully I can figure things out and get a good farming groove going. I still haven't gotten to the end of the story stuff, so I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot. Is this map something we're going to have an organized train for or what?

It does not require anything remotely organized.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Adventures are really all over the place. I've been doing a lot the past week because I've got all the mastery points I'm going to get from the other sources (I still have a few to get from HoT story achieves which I'm very meh on doing, and there are some in raids which I'm not counting on ever getting either).

Some are fun. Some are very easy. Many are buggy or have mechanics that work very badly with gw2. Some are just stupid. Here is my impression of them:

Tendril Torchers - Horrible. You use a flamethrower to burn little tentacles. You can't reliably target them and your flamethrower will roll dice to determine whether you torch them or not. Very buggy. Not fun.

Bugs in the Branches - I actually like this one. It takes some thinking to plot your routes and get all the bugs and the time can be tight at first but with some practice you can get silver/gold pretty reliably. Fun and doesn't try to do too much with the system.

Flying Circus - They try to throw in some mario cart like powerups to a gliding through hoops challenge. It doesn't really work but it's harmless enough I suppose. Fairly easy to get gold on with a little effort, but you don't feel like you actually accomplished much when you do.

Shooting Gallery - Very twitchy and has an RNG element to it that makes it less fun than it could have been. All you have to do is shoot targets but where they'll pop up and how far away is random. Can be very easy or nearly impossible depending almost entirely on your luck once you get the basics down.

Salvage Pit - One of the easiest in the game, by far. You literally just run around and pick stuff up. I got gold easily with lots of time to spare the first time, with no idea what it was about beforehand.

The Floor is Lava - You basically hop around on mushrooms picking stuff up from the floor and trying to get back up asap. The hoppy around ones work a lot better with the gw2 skills than the others I think. This one is no exception. Its one of the harder hoppy ones but that's not a bad thing.

On Wings of Gold - Along with Salvage Pit one of the two I got gold easily the first time I tried it. You just glide around and run into things and then glide back to the start. Super straightforward, almost guaranteed gold.

Sanctum Scramble - You use slightly modified zephyrite skills to get up the inner of the sanctuary with glint's egg in it, appropriately enough. If that sounds fun to you, you'll enjoy this. If not, you won't. Frequently using the 2 charge and canceling it before you rocket off a ledge is the key to getting gold reliably.

Fallen Masks - You bounce around stuff pressing F near things. Pretty mindless once you figure out a few patterns.

A Fungus Among Us - You get turned into a little mushroom and run an obstacle course. One of the least fun because of how buggy the 2 jump skill is. If it worked reliably I think it would be fun, but it just isn't.

The Ley Line Run - This may be my favorite because I like the gliding ones in general and this is one of the fastest ones. It's basically the flying circus all over again but for some reason it works a lot better here. Getting gold is challenging at first, but easy once you figure it out.

Drone Race - Yet another attempt at mario kart lite. Pretty meh adventure. You just uh, run through stuff. Not much to it. A few tries and you should get it after seeing a few spots to use your bug racing abilities.

Beetle Feast - To be honest I did this one just to get bronze for the collection unlock and haven't gone back. Getting bronze was mindless, silver should be pretty easy.

Haywire Punch-o-Matic - You're a big golem and you punch chak. I stopped after silver on this one because it got me the last point I needed. Silver was simple. Gold probably just takes a few adjustments.

Scrap Field Rifle Test - I think this is the trickiest one in the game other than the ones that get hung up on bugs/glitches etc getting in the way, by which I mean, most actual challenge to it as opposed to just roll again and see if it works frustration. I still haven't got gold but I might actually do it just for the fun of it, which I wouldn't have done with many others.

Overall, despite a few exceptions, adventures were not a fun addition to gw2 and I hope they don't ad any more ever and especially don't make it so you have to do them to fill your mastery points.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

karn1635 posted:

How are Revenants to level? I'm finally gonna get some time to sit down and start playing tonight.

They don't get passive move speed boosts until their elite spec. Other than that they're fine.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

After the gliding skills I went straight for the 10,000 bloodstone ore node, it gives 3 rubies a day which will add up over time, I'd probably skip glide skills 3 and 4 until I had a overflow of unbound magic if I had to do it again.

If you need rubies, check bloodfen LFG for jade construct events, you'll get a bunch of gold, unbound magic and 4-6 rubies a run.

Agreed, glide skills 3 and 4 are completely skippable. 2 really only needed if you like breaking cc bars. 5 I definitely recommend.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

I am still not able to settle down on a class to play though.

You don't have to do that in this game.

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I wanna get back into this game and I'm stuck between Warrior or Revenant. What should I go as? :v: Last I heard warriors sucked and Guardians were magnificently OP. Is this still true?

I can't remember this ever being true. Guardians have been the forgotten class since HoT came out, and warriors have been op forever.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Trashcan posted:

I'm giving GW2 another shot, since I haven't played since it launched and I really want one of the sparkly rainbow weapons. What class should I pick up for a fun chill time?

Please note, I am bad at games and can't can't handle a complex rotation (I thought Elementalist was major chore to play).

Ele and engi come with tons of buttons, so I'd avoid those. Thief and mesmer are underwhelming if you want to play them casually as possible. Revenant has a legendary switching mechanic that I guess could be too much effort for some folks to have fun with. Everything else in the game (Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, Necro) is super duper simple.

Note that you can play any class as simply as you like and still do fine in 99% of the content in this game.

Also standard minmaxy effort advice - Mesmer, Revenant, and Guardian don't get a passive speedboost so they're a bit more tedious to level with.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

For thief, it's more about positioning, using blinds and dodges, and dealing with the fact that you're absurdly squishy. It's not a good class to try to play if you're like watching netflix. Coupled with the fact that if you start leveling right now it will probably be nerfed twice by the time you're 80 it's just not the easiest class at the moment is all.

I third the recommendation of necro for a great newbie class. It gets a passive speed boost pretty easily with signet of the locust, it starts off with the highest hp in the game (tied with warrior), gets a second hp bar on top of that, can level easily with a power build and massive aoe damage to kill tons of stuff at once, and can facetank big things with dagger type lifesteal builds. As far as effort to result ratios go, necro is definitely the best class in the game atm.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You have more Asura than Charr is really the problem here.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Did you think they would be swinging a giant peacock around?

Also "Morris Podaulff" is an homage to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Podoloff

So you know, you won't look like a fool when some pubbie quizzies you on it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

:siren: CHARACTER SLOT SALE, 30% OFF FOR 560 GEMS :siren:

gently caress YES.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Can you buy poutine delivery with in game currency yet?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah they swept up a few ANET people as well as others, and everyone is waiting for an announcement on what they are making. The people they hired seem to point to MMO, but it's hard to believe anyone wants to make a big MMO at this point.

Especially with Star Citizen and Camelot Unchained coming out any day now!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's a loving anime walrus fish tank

Finally, something worth logging in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Taimi makes me miss Scarlet.

• Locked thread