Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ruffz posted:

They seriously want $50 for the expansion coming out this month?

Yea. Well, it's 50 for the core+ HoT if you didn't have any GW2 already. Wait for it to go on sale if, like me, you don't think it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

If you're looking for the endgame PvE content, it's world bosses/events, fractals, and dungeons. Soon there'll be a raid.

Besides that, it's looking at poo poo in the wardrobe and using the wiki to figure out how to get it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ijyt posted:

Woah what.

One of their trait overhauls involved changing from buying whole tiers of traits to instead buying each individual trait. But, you could also do little side-quests/pseudo-achievements to unlock them as well (i.e. 100% a certain zone, kill a certain boss, etc). It was kinda bad.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I can't wait for a few xpacs from now, when it's revealed that all this dragon stuff is actually part of Abaddon's double deluxe ulra-secret plan to rule the world. The entirety of GW1 is retconned to be a ruse so he could possess Kormir, rejoin the human god pantheon, and destroy it from within.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Go RV! posted:

I pitched a plausible scenario in GOON few days ago.

So, you know how Zhaitan is able to remember the lives of those he's turned? Would it not then make sense that Mordremoth would be able to access the memories of the sylvari he's taken?

He's also apparently able to continually resurrect his chosen champions.

So, wouldn't it make sense then, that Mordremoth would be able to bring her back, even more annoying and immortal then before :suicide:

I figured everyone already feared this.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

trunkh posted:

So as someone who missed the living story stuff, whats involved if I were to purchase it? Is it something you can do on your own or do you need a group? I've accumulated so much Bloodstone dust I want to look at crafting Mawdrey and apparently I need a chapter from the living story to do it?

You can do it yourself; it's like personal story.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Vermain posted:

If they're hellbent on shuttling dungeons into the corner like an embarrassing amateur painting, never meant to see the light of day again, then they really ought to just take the current dungeon paths, revamp them a little, and turn them into Fractals.

That sounds like work though.

Also the consolidation of all the dungeon vendors into a single generic npc literally shoved into a corner should've been all anyone needed to know anet's thoughts on dungeons and where they were headed (the dumpster).

Lyer posted:

I dunno man, you can't really say people ran dungeons because they were fun. Ideally dungeons would get a revamp, but I'm not going to miss them as they are.

I mean aside from fractals and world boss events, they're kinda the only other thing to do in pve once you've done world completion as many times as your sanity will allow.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AzureSkye posted:

They've said absolutely nothing about increasing token drops, just that they're moving the "liquid reward" elsewhere. All of the grind, none of the gold.

Even if they fixed the grind a bit, without the gold the only reason left to do them really is get the skins. And then never bother again unless you find them really super fun on their own merit.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Guys, let's be honest. Each dungeon path is akin to a fractal path, many a bit longer then what should have been. How would you guys feel if Anet tunes the dungeon rewards to be similar to a fractal path, and maybe updating the amount of effort per path to be similar to a mid level fractal?

That would be neat, but also require enough effort that they won't bother. Sweeping them under the rug is a lot less work.

Sprite141 posted:

And building up AR via +1 AR resists at a time.

Dude, versatile infusions. I had enough ar for 49 fractals before I was past reward level 10. Like, the main gating component of fractals is Ascended armor/weapons/accessories. AR is effortless to get.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

isn't it such that the ar infusion in your gear can't be used in the creation of a higher level infusion? Like a +5 takes 2 +4's, but you can't use the +4 in your gear? If you don't have much ascended stuff, getting higher ar might be a bit of a pain considering how you increase infusions.

That's how the +1 infusions work, yea, but trying to fuse up the +1's to a level that matters is more of a money/time sink than just crafting ascended and slotting in +5 versatile infusions from the relic vendor.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 13, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kessel posted:

nobody is actually using those +10 infusions to run fractals

The fractal hate makes more sense if people actually think you're supposed to.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Hefty posted:

So do you normally just go in with no AR and do level 9 (?) fractals until you have enough tokens for the AR infusions? Doing three in a row always seemed like such a big commitment, but I've got some ascended stuff from pvp chests and now that you can do them one at a time I'll probably try them.

How it works right now: you have a Personal Reward Level that starts at 1 and goes up as you do fractals of your level or higher (so tagging along on higher level fractals is fine). The relics/pristine relics you get for completing fractals & fractal dailies will let you get oodles of AR via Versatile Simple Infusions from the fractal shop bot. It's so trivial that you can't even call it a barrier to entry; the only real limiting factor is how much armor/weapons/accessories you have to slot AR into.

The wiki is your friend, give it a quick read.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I won't, because it's way too wordy, but I will link to it. Someone remind me in 2 weeks.

Alternately link the Fractal page on the wiki. It'd be nice and complementary: a link to the wiki no one reads from the op no one reads.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I mean after a while, what else are you using your gold/mats for?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok, so are those armors good? chances are i'm going to be doing some pve with mostly pvp unless I stop playing. currently, i've found leveling to be the easiest when you do all the newbie zones and then story quest and then next newbie zones/etc. That's basically the crap grind i'm doing at the moment.

Ascended/Legendary stats are marginally better than Exotic so generally not worth it mechanically speaking, unless you're bored with nothing else to do or really really care about a ~5% boost. Mostly people craft the backpieces & legendaries for looks.

PvP your gear doesn't matter anyway. You can start doing that right now if you get bored of pve shenanigans.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

malhavok posted:

So that blog they posted today says "overcoming challenges in the jungle to unlock your elite specialization", which sorta implies hero points won't be the only way to unlock them right?

Reminder: the things which yield hero points are called Hero Challenges.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Riftling posted:

Nobody runs the content as-is; we find ways to glitch them and break them over our knees to min/max our liquid currency gain.

This is different in fractals/raids?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
mmmmm yes dungeon gold was totally destroying the gw2 economy...

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

maybe they should tax people on their wealth, hell its not a bad idea,

lol

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Oxymoron.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AzureSkye posted:

I wonder how deep in the grandmasters are? This might mean daredevils won't get their new dodge stuff for a while, which is pretty lol considering everyone else will get their gimmick immediately.

Nah, that 3rd dodge is totally their game-changing gimmick! :downs:

Kinda sucks really hard for revenants too.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 20, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Farbror posted:

I keep dying in boss fights as a thief. I'm level 80 with exotic berserker gear, using daggers and shortbow. Some of the damage seems completely impossible to avoid and comes out of nowhere, and all the spell effects make it hard to see if there are telegraphs. There are plenty of guides on what skills and gear to use, but I think I'm clearly missing something when it comes to surviving.

Does anyone have one simple trick discovered by a mom to help me not suck so much? Should I just plink with my shortbow and accept my terribleness?

Be generous with your dodges; between Signet of Agility, shortbow 3, Withdraw, and Death Blossom (if you're really desperate), there's enough there that even you just think something might maybe hit you, dodge.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Tears of disappointment.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly my favorite fight in GW2 has been the Windmane fight as solo Caithe. The other living story fights were neat, but once the gimmick is understood they're kinda trivial. Windmane can still smack your rear end down if you're not paying attention.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I have a couple of questions; is the personal story in any way continued in HoT? I've completed it on my main but I dread doing it on my alts.. which brings me to my second question. I created a thief in anticipation of the Daredevil specialization but I'm struggling to do stuff solo, as I feel about as sturdy as wet paper. What's a good compromise between survivability and damage? I never really got into the itemization in this game so I just went with the usual advice of "everything Berserker every time", but as soon as I encounter more than 2 mobs at a time I'm struggling to stay alive (which makes the personal story even more fun). I would try experimenting, but I don't really have the funds :(

Daggerstorm elite + Signet of Malice passive = massive healing when fighting groups, a good panic button if you're getting overwhelmed. Pmuch your default strategy is to kill things one at a time while dodging attacks (you have to dodge things, because as you've discovered, you're not sturdy). If you're in D/D, Cloak & Dagger into Backstab into Heartseeker kills things pretty well. Keep shortbow on swap for kiting, the 3 skill is a dodge + cripple and the auto attack bounces between enemies for murder on the move.

I wouldn't swap out of Zerker; if you utilize the wealth of dodges you have at your disposal you should be able to disengage & survive easily enough. Withdraw is a low cooldown heal + evade if you don't use the Malice signet (the Invigorating Precision trait is a good alternative), Infiltration signet restores all your endurance, sb & d/d 3 are both evades.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
^^
rip my fragile memory

Your Computer posted:

I'm going to start using a staff ASAP because of the cleave.

Dagger cleaves though?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

PseudoFaux posted:

Didn't Anet say that Revs are disallowed from using anything but boosters for the first few months?

This was a joke people threw around, like "wouldn't it be funny if..." sort of thing. And then somehow people started thinking it was real.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

Is there a WP video or something that recaps what happened in season two for those of us who didn't do it?

You found an egg from Glint. Caithe stole the egg. Anet took a giant poo poo on Caithe in flashback missions. Mordremoth destroyed the pact fleet and started taking control of the sylvari.

The End.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

Black Feather Wings Backpack and White Feather Wings Backpack owners can receive a free matching glider by equipping the backpack and talking to any map scout in Verdant Brink.

e: beat like a red-headed anime

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Burning ~200 points on the elite spec only gets you as far as the second minor trait. Enjoy the staff and 3rd dodge, daredevils.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

UNATCO Telephone posted:

it seems super grindy to get anything worthwhile.

Welcome to Halloween. For real though if you have gold you can buy cobs on the tp if you're not into the games/grind.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kessel posted:

fractal mastery unlocks a teleport to a special island in the fractal lobby, where you can buy things to make your pink rings even pinker. the upgrade itself is dirt cheap, and the special vendor also sells extractors for 24s so you don't have to gem store to get your poo poo out of your rings

Wish this and the fractal backpack weren't locked behind masteries, and therefore inaccessible to anyone without HoT.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Elite specs are unlocked in PvP, right? Right? :ohdear:

Yea. Assuming you have HoT, of course.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ah, I guess that pricing makes slightly more sense, though it's kind of a kick in the nuts for anyone that actually had to buy the base game. You'd think they could whip up some easy "veteran" upgrade where if you bought / played it before it went F2P, you could get the expansion at a discount or something.

Ah well, between the price and the grindy stuff, sounds like I'm not missing out on anything. Thanks for the quick response!

Yea this was a whole big "thing" back when they put HoT up for sale. Their compromise was giving you an extra character slot if you bought Core before a certain date.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Trujillo posted:

Haven't played in a while so sorry if this is a dumb question but am I only supposed to be able to get 1/3rd of the way through reaper training when I've already done every single hero challenge in the game? How do you get more hero points?

Yes that's intended; you have to go get the hero challenges in the xpac zones.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
So, I guess the fractals past level 50 require more AR? So if I want to do those I need to start fusing the +1s or buy HoT to get to that special island?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

When last I played, ANet had an absurd hard-on for Warriors and Engineers were shat upon from on high with bugs and bad design decisions (like... runes? or something? not working when you had grenades out or something). Is that still the case?

Everything is good and fun as far as the base classes go now. The elite specs vary a bit but engineers (Scrappers) seem to be happy with theirs.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

LordAdakos posted:

My impression of HoT is that it's a dumb buggy grindfest and it's really turned me off GW2 as a game.

Yea I'm just gonna keep waiting for a sale, the stuff I've seen hasn't enticed me. I'll keep doing occasional fractals til thing to build up AR I guess.

Cyron posted:

cool the goons are attacking devs now.

lol

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, sounds interesting. I guess legends aren't really far from engineer kits, then.

Separate question, what does it mean to build for condi(tions?) as opposed to for power? Just that damage comes from debuffs instead of attacks?

Conditions are stuff like bleeds, poison, agony, etc. Power is direct damage. So yea, you got it. Generally Power (and thus, Berserker gear) has been dominant, idk how much if at all HoT changed this.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Thank you both. I guess deciding on builds and gearing and such is something you don't really do until 80, right? I'm still just kind of picking whatever gear seems to have bigger numbers, whatever those numbers actually are :v:

I'm still forcing myself to truck along on Engineer. It's not that I don't like it--I do--I just see e.g. Guardians or Revenants or Necromancers running around and think "man those skills/that armor looks cool, I should make one of those instead".

At least I'm pretty consistent with myself in thinking that Mesmer and Thief (and Warrior, to a lesser degree) look boring to watch :v:

Yea, don't worry about gear until 80. Thief is fun & slick but it's not for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

brennon posted:

I seriously can't settle between Warrior and Guardian and I might need to be put on suicide watch over it, which do people here personally prefer?

Both.

• Locked thread