Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sfd Bonehead is by far the best Redman.

Just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like underwater skills anything were really, really neglected for the Revenant

Welcome to underwater content.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That Izzy post is all well and good but they seem to have the same issue as everywhere else, as in Anet changes poo poo and then seems to forgets about it.

It's nice they saved silk from being 2c, on the other hand it's not anymore, but ascended crafting still looks like "600 of material X, 600 of material Y, 4500 silk".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dungeon changes are loving stupid, good job Anet.

They seem to do a lot of this lately :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

AzureSkye posted:

They've said absolutely nothing about increasing token drops, just that they're moving the "liquid reward" elsewhere. All of the grind, none of the gold.

*the least grindy MMO ever*

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They don't actually get better if you take out the rewards HTH.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Amante posted:

Constantly adding dangling, unfinished new systems while you wall off the old stuff to rot... not a good long term strategy for making a fun game. Learn from Blizzard and WoW on that one.

They seem to have decided to learn from WoD Blizzard instead.

Props though, they found a way to add mudflation to a game that has a limited gear treadmill. GJ I guess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Only infused items can take the +1 etc. agony infusions you can mash together to create more powerful ones. Infused items are backpacks and rings, so the vast majority of your AR has to come in chunks of 5 from versatile- or poopsock infusions (the ones also giving things like 5 power for hundreds of gold). Sure you could get two random infused rings as rewards which are somehow not magi or shaman, and perhaps infused mawdrey. Even if you wasted your money making 3 +10 infusions, you'd still be far from the maximum required AR of 70 so you might as well craft ascended armor instead.

However, fractal 1-19 is possible without any AR. With jewelry, a crafter backpack and an MF infusion in the necklace, getting to the 25 AR required to be "immune" in level 29 is no big deal if you run fractals semi-regularly. It's still bullshit and if you wanna do 30+ without being carried, you have to get into ascended crafting which is retarded. Nobody who doesn't like fractals would have any reason to run fractal 30+ though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

To be fair, it's kind of silly to have two different types of AR infusions that aren't cross compatible with one another but such similar names.

Yeah I'm not going to blame players for thinking the +1 infusions they're getting directly from running fractals are the things you need to use to get agony resistance. No one said Anet is good at this whole fractal design thing, of course.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

Most of my alts are leveled through dungeons/tomes/crafting and getting 60 points at least for each is killing me

It's not too bad if you don't have a lot of alts.

:haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

RIP glacial borderlands, I will miss you.

That reset change isn't cool though. I wonder why they're doing this after 3 years.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

midnightclimax posted:

That moba-mode sounds interesting. Does GOON have Mumble or something?

Have, maybe. As for whether someone uses it, I have bad news for you.

SFD uses Mumble often though, and you get to listen to Mesmer's music bot to boot.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Also note the TP price difference between crafted and salvaged inscriptions, e.g. a Berserker inscription alone is nearly 8 gold at minimum in materials, but you can pick up, say, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebonblade for 5g.

I will keep that in mind for the one weapon box I still have but can't decide which weapon to pick :woop:

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm trying to decide between making a Warrior or a Guardian. I want a heavy armor class that is p. survivable - my main characters are Ranger and Necromancer, and while I know that nothing will be as tanky as a Necromancer, I'd like something in the same ballpark.

Anyone have a suggestion for which of the two I should make and boost?

Guardian has block(s) and a bunch of incidental healing, and low health. They take a bit more effort to be tanky, but if you put in that effort they're really hard to kill.

Warrior has has more passive defense with high health and eg. healing signet. It's still very fun to play and potentially shits out might at an alarming rate.

You probably want both anyway.

Lonk posted:

Berserker's is for trash idiots who don't know how to play this or any game.

Yes because the "never die" nomad option means skill like nothing else :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress you I want those aviators :qq:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm glad they put their energy into fixing things that made utterly lovely fights like Golem Mk.2 or high level Mai Trin remotely bearable. Idiots.

Challenging group content!

Also :hfive: to everyone who called the halloween stuff being the thick leather sink the "economist" talked about.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kessel posted:

Fractals have changed. poo poo xp, drops are better. Arch diviner has better tells, two chanters on each arm replaced with single vet so must be done legit now. Swamp wisp timers have changed massively - start when wisps spawn and count down, then cycle wisps automatically. Ascalon frac has a red iris flower. Harpies in uncat frac have been repositioned for maximum player tears. Fire shaman in grawl frac is much harder to pin down now because of new defiance bar - can't pre-chill him, the chill just greys out and he moves at full speed.

Challenging group content!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Brain In A Jar posted:

Do you like champs? Do you like killing champs? Do you like skill points being camped by champs that you have to kill?

So they copied the best parts of Orr? Color me surprised.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That sounds like a lot of fun and will not at all be annoying once the zone gets less populated over time.

HoT is shaping up to be everything I've been hoping for.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Generic Octopus posted:

Welcome to GW2.

Changed your post to be more appropriate.

Welcome to MMO seasonal events might also work.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

New Maguuma maps need some tweaking to make them not ridiculously grindy, but since there's more content on the way (raids, new legendaries, etc) I think it's safe to say that they'll be tweaking stuff for a while to come. [...]

Coolness Averted posted:

I think they were doing the typical mmo thing of overtuning at launch to avoid the zerg rush of folks rampaging through and having all the new mastery points in a weekend.
I expect them to reduce the HP on stuff otherwise the expansion zones are gonna be like the base game was 4 months after launch, a barren desert of unbeatable content scaled around massive groups, not the only 1 or 2 people in them.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there definitely could be some tuning done in the near future, which i feel like might happen if it's brought up enough. [...]

I like that you're optimistic, but this is Arena.net, masters of "put in overtuned grindy bullshit, never change it unless it's by accident". The only thing they ever tuned in a timely manner was making things more annoying to fight after patches made stuff "too easy", eg. world bosses after the condi changes.

Harrow posted:

It really feels like they want you to actively group up for HoT stuff. Relying on randoms isn't all that feasible when everything seems to work best with a group and the zones are large enough that people tend to be really spread out.

That has never backfired ever in any MMO.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 24, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Megaservers basically "fixed" Orr so you wouldn't be trying to finish the event chains with 3 people on each server. Except you're still entering instances of it that are 80% contested at certain times of day, which is pretty funny if you just want to buy karma armor.

Other than that, they slightly nerfed it once, but at a later date they also did something that buffed all krait. I mean it's all YMMV territory anyway. Some people loved even release Orr. I still think present Orr is awful for everything but map completion in Malkor's Leap and Cursed Shore because of the lack of hearts.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But they need you to be playing in order to buy black lion keys.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Okay!
I checked all of my character and, regardless of what they had before, they all had 200 points or less.
Anet capped everyone :psyduck:

The "cap" is the amount of hero challenges in the world, of which there are about 200 (a few more with Drytop/SW, WvW maps and the home instance place of power) in old Tyria. Skill points not from hero challenges got converted into spirit shards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

If this was mastery, I would agree with you.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also you're still running into the problem that if your increments are too small, by the time you get enough gold for the precursor, its price has increased by 100g again. Except this time, the price of "mats you need a trillion of" has risen by 100g total. Considering how many more steps you need beyond the precursors that can also be broken down to "farm a million mats or the gold for them", I'm not sure we really needed that many more increments that are pure mat/gold sinks TBH.

It gives you a more immediate sense of "working" on the legendary than simply being lucky or spending 100 bucks worth of gems on an item on the TP, which has some value of course, but overall it feels a bit pointless.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can't say I expected better, since I have a very low opinion of "accepted" MMO design in general, and of Anet since 2013 in particular, but I don't think it's a laughing matter to hope for more so :hfive:.

Nonetheless, I'm going to derive some fun from the pretty zones, the elite specs (once I have some) and revenants, but I can understand it's disappointing to realize that after 3 years Anet has exactly zero new/better ideas for their game.

Also yeah that ascended price hike is fantastic, well done Mr "economist".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think we're going to attempt to do another guild hall claiming mission in SFD, but considering the last one, it's probably going to end up with 90% of the guild sitting out again because Anet is bad at balancing things.

A+++ would stay up till 2am again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Eltoasto posted:

Haha the Nightfury recipe is insane. If you want something unique and have a ton of cash, here ya go http://dulfy.net/2015/10/28/gw2-nightfury-halloween-shoulders-recipe/

:allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, the level 1 masteries are extremely quick/easy to get, not a big deal.

I'd have to have time to play, it kinda is a big deal :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

The OP and the wiki are a good start for real!

But is the OP even updated?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
And awesome achievements at that. Like "spend 1k gold to unlock cultural armor" or "get all fractal skins" awesome.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rakeris posted:

Are you sure they are not just trolling?

MMO players, so it's a good assumption they're dead serious.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

[...]
And here's the thing: you could have this exact same list of masteries and fix it by just not tying masteries to experience and instead giving you masteries via exploration. People on Reddit keep saying that they like it when things are gated behind masteries because it's like a "Metroidvania," to which I can only reply that I don't remember unlocking the super jump in Super Metroid by gaining experience until I'm allowed to pick it from a list. I just went and found it by exploring and it was cool. If, instead of needing to get experience and just somehow pick Exalted Lore out of a menu, I had to go and find some runic key to let me activate Exalted portals, that would've felt so much more natural and satisfying. I'd walk up to the portal stone and instead of "you need Exalted Lore to use this!" it would say "you don't understand these runes; if only you had some sort of cipher." Then you'd come back when you find the Exalted Cipher by gliding to some ruins in Auric Basin and exploring them and then you can use it!
[...]

That's pretty much my biggest disappointment and no amount of fine tuning the numbers will ever fix it. It's all very obviously gamey and "get this much XP to unlock X" and they're not even trying. After the HoT intro the game goes "to progress you need gliding" which is a progress bar in a menu somewhere that fills up if you do stuff instead of actually learning gliding from, I don't know, NPCs or ancient texts or by putting together your first glider or what have you.

After the whole trait unlock failure, when they mentioned something like the reason they couldn't discuss the revamp was HoT/mastery, I hoped they had figured out creative ways to let us unlock these new shiny things which would take over from trait unlocking. The 2014 trait unlock system wasn't a bad idea, it was just badly implemented (not account-wide, some unlocks made no sense, no choice eg. to unlock the same traits in different ways). And stuff like what you're describing is what I had in mind - for a game that supposedly takes exploration seriously, there sure aren't many things to explore that aren't "go there check off map completion objective/loot chest".

But nope, can't have that. Fill up bar in game menu, learn new thing.

ItBurns posted:

Is this a made-up problem or did you actually run out of mastery points? I have way more than I can spend at this point, but I've done a lot of exploring. You can still gain experience in a different line if you don't unlock the one that's full.

I'm pretty sure I don't have enough mastery points for all the Tyria stuff (about 10 short), no amount of playing normally in not-HoT zones that would potentially give me the required XP is going to fix that because I just have very specific tasks left (LS2 achievements, collections, etc.). If I went out of my way to grind XP I think it would be possible (but gently caress that - just in theory)

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 2, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

goattrails posted:

You mean Chronoanimewhitegirlwithhugeboobsandblondehair

That's my mesmer yes. Problem?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You mean I can switch the amount of high quality model characters back up to highest?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

Someone mentioned there was gonna be a patch to fix the brain-dead difficulty of the TD meta. We had 80 nerds on teamspeak and got two chaks down yesterday but the other two routes failed and so everyone gets nothing. Is there some respite from this misery on the horizon?

Playing better games worked for me :(

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 10, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"looks pretty" is very low on my list of things GW2 has to get right nowadays, hth

Anet knows how to make things look good, now they need to figure out how to design and balance the actual game parts. Any day now, it has only been three years.

Re: guild hall furniture, I like the bench some guy linked in this reddit thread: http://imgur.com/YjGZZ5k (not asurabutt.jpg)

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 11, 2015

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DonVincenzo posted:

If you need four fancy chairs to make a bench you live in a pretty hosed up world.

I could see that working in the current Fallout 4 "housing" system, but in a fantasy setting for guild halls :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

Get gud casual :smug: - Anet

Is it a bad thing that I think WoW is literally less grindy than gw2 now?

Considering right now isn't even the least grindy WoW has ever been, this is quite an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't even know there were that many mastery points to spend.

• Locked thread