Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sagebrush posted:

i just like the color coding implying that a password that takes 64,000 years to bruteforce is only "orange" level of secure.

I think you'll find that this chart fits the thread a little better. (I posted it in the thread years ago but this seems a fantastic time for an encore.)

And hey, the source is still up. Click through for a few more fantastic charts on the same topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ariong posted:

It is "orange" level of secure because computers get better at brute-forcing passwords over time (i.e. faster), so eventually every password on this chart will have a time of "instantly" but it will take longer for the trillion-year ones to get there than the thousand-years.

The usual standard for new encryption algorithms is that if every atom in the universe was incorporated into a machine that was many orders of magnitude faster than any computer we could possibly project being actually built, it would still be effectively impossible to brute-force a random key.

This, of course, does not prevent idiots from using their kid's birthdate or their pet's name as their password.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I like how “sheave” isn’t even consistent.

I know, like three movies later he's just somehow BACK?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kantesu posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Russia

"European Russia covers the vast majority of Eastern Europe, and spans roughly 40% of Europe's total landmass, with over 15% of its total population, making Russia the largest and most populous country in Europe."

Emphasis mine

Yeah, "Europe" extends way further east than a lot of people (well, a lot of Americans at least) tend to think. I'm not immune to it either -- in sixth grade geography class, I recall that the Europe maps in the book pretty much ended at Romania, and anything to the right of that was just a purple blob labeled "USSR" extending off the edge of the map.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Garrand posted:

When a mathemetician is trying to get their cat's attention and suddenly has an epiphany.

PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: When a mathemetician is trying to get their cat's attention

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

:colbert: Fixed. Lines of latitude are curved on this projection; Oregon and South Dakota both have land further north than anything in New York or Vermont. (Wyoming misses out on this party by barely a mile.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Why are they doing this? I just don't understand.

Serious answer for anyone encountering this for the first time: the Monty Hall problem is a mathematical puzzle that's loosely based on an old game show called Let's Make a Deal (hosted by Monty Hall, hence the name), in which contestants would sometimes be offered a blind trade for whatever prizes they'd already won: "Will you give back the dining-room set in exchange for what's behind Door Number One?" Behind the door might be a more valuable prize (e.g. a new car), or nothing at all (symbolized by a goat).

The appeal of the puzzle is that a simple game-show choice scenario, which seems at first like it should be a perfect 50-50 coin flip, is actually heavily weighted in one direction.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

ohh is it a sodium thing like street lights in america

The kids today don't know squat about sodium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqAxcs9lC1U

Sodium. Won't you?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

With oodles* of real cheese!

* The "oodle" has not been officially defined as a measurement unit, and the actual presence of cheese should not be inferred due to its use here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

flatluigi posted:

also maybe a therapist

also an old priest and a young priest

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

circling-the-drain.png

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

piL posted:

My dick's diameter at breast height is zero.

Perhaps you simply need a shorter partner.

Or a stepladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Placeholder posted:

I strongly think we should generalise this. Please set my regdate to 00/00/00.

You're putting a LOT of faith in Radium's code here