Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

If any ancestors of Native American tribes can demonstrate evidence that certain property was stolen from their ancestors, then it should be returned to them.

I would seriously be loving impressed if you can point to a single piece of American property that wasn't stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Juffo-Wup posted:

Pictured: an abstract and vague assertion

But could they prove that they owned their settlements at Wounded Knee?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

So if my dad stopped mowing his lawn, he could be fined by the town he lives in.

Really? That seems kinda harsh. I also didn't expect to see jrodefeld, a strong defender of property rights, defend squatting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

But let me ask this. Why is it that leftists seem to confine their redistributive goals to within the borders of existing States?

They don't? Norway, Sweden and Denmark who you probably would label leftist is three of the countries that gives the most amount of foreign aid as a percentage of their gross national income: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_aid#Top_10_aid_donor_countries_.282013.29

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Do you accept the principle that people ought to have the final say in the use of their physical bodies so long as they don't harm others?

What about people who might hurt themselves? Are you against involuntary commitment?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

I

These are the top countries ranked by their adherence to policies that promote economic freedom:

1. Hong Kong
2. Singapore
3. New Zealand
4. Switzerland
5. United Arab Emirates
6. Mauritius
7. Jordan
8. Ireland
9. Canada
10. United Kingdom
11. Chile
12. Australia
13. Georgia
14. Qatar
15. Taiwan

Are you loving kidding me? Are you seriously saying that Qatar, a country with state sponsored slavery, is more economic free than Sweden? At least the over 1200 migrant workers who have died so far preparing stadiums for the world cup can take solace in that they died in the name of economic freedom.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Let's talk about something else for a bit. There is a reason why I keep coming back here and posting.
No, lets talk about that you were calling the UAE and Qatar economic free despite the fact that they have slavery.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Andorra posted:

Yo OP, I'm Choctaw. Does this mean I should be able to go to Average Neighborhood, Mississippi, tell the people there whose families have lived there 100+ years to hit the road so I can live communally with some of my friends and family? That's how they lived way back in the olden days.

Plains tribes followed the herds. They clearly didn't see owning property as a god-given right, why should anyone in this thread? Who's to say that your concept of "owning" land and living there forever is any more right than theirs?
Well, his concept of owning land makes it more difficult for natives to get any form of reparations for stolen land.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

You've convinced me, BRING ON THE LIBERTARIAN FUTURE *dons human flesh as clothes, scuttles sideways out the door*

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Glad to be back (I think?).

It's funny what you guys grasp onto and hammer away at me about. By citing in passing the Cato study on economic freedom in different nations throughout the world, you choose to pick out a couple entries on the the list and cite the various ways in which those nations are NOT free and demand that I answer for their failings and further assert that somehow I am claiming that the United States ought to emulate the policies of the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.

You can easily read about how and why Cato made this list and what metrics were used to judge the different nations. What is clear is that this is a list of economically free countries.

Please explain to me how a country with slavery is economically free.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I live in a country that subsidized my education so I had a real chance to better myself, if I lived in a country where that wasn't the case I wouldn't have much education at all. I remember breakin my arm as a kid and to relieve my pain my father, being a nurse, wrapped it in a newspaper to stabilize it. If I lived in another country that probably wouldn't have happened since then my father wouldn't have afforded the education to be a nurse or even afford to leave work to drive me to the doctor.
I come from a poor background and are now economically independent, but I can't enslave other people so I guess I'm not economically free at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Caros posted:

"Taxation is Theft"
"Universal Healthcare is a moral good"/"A Free Market Healthcare System is Preferable"/"Whateverthefuckabouthealthcare"
"Libertarians are retarded"

"The fuckability of watermelons"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

These State actions that I am forced to help fund are deeply offensive to me. Can I respectfully decline to participate in supporting these atrocities? Absolutely not. I can expect a gun in the ribs and a one way trip to a jail

Are there still debtor's prison in the US?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

. Again, I had a serious illness that is heavily correlated with mercury toxicity and heavy metal poisoning!

Being a gullible idiot isn't a serious illness, though I can agree that it could have some correlation with mercury toxicity and heavy metal poisoning.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 2, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Are you suggesting that colonialism has something to do with libertarianism? The same libertarians who hold up Switzerland as the model of how a society ought to interact with the rest of the world (complete neutrality, non-intervention)?

Uh, I got some bad news to you about that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Switzerland

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BaurusJA posted:

Switzerland is unique that it CAN even be nuetral. The natural defense, political maneuvering, the loving bunker under the swiss alps, and heavy experience of their armed forces at mountain combat allow them to get away with it. You know a country that tried to be neutral too? Poland. For the last two and a quarter centuries the Polish nation wanted not much to do except live on their land. The Polish nation has been dissolved and recreated 5 times in that span. Switzerland has not had to re-create its since its nation came into being around the late 19th century.

Shoo heathen, away with you.

Lets also not forget that it took until 1991 before every women in Switzerland could vote. Truly a libertarian utopia.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Like I said earlier though, it is true that market economies closer to libertarianism have less general income inequality than do more Statist societies.

And yet my country (Norway) which is pretty loving far from being libertarian have less income inequality than yours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._World_Bank.svg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hey jrode, while you were listing your favorite rap albums I couldn't help but notice that you failed to explain how "statist" countries has less income inequality than the US despite you claiming the opposite.

• Locked thread