Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

What's the One True Libertarian doctrine say about returning stolen American land to its legitimate owners?

Well let's see what one of them big thinkers from libertarian-land had to say on the subject:

Ayn motherfuckin' Rand posted:

[The Native Americans] didn't have any rights to the land and there was no reason for anyone to grant them rights which they had not conceived and were not using.... What was it they were fighting for, if they opposed white men on this continent? For their wish to continue a primitive existence, their "right" to keep part of the earth untouched, unused and not even as property, just keep everybody out so that you will live practically like an animal, or maybe a few caves above it. Any white person who brought the element of civilization had the right to take over this continent.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

probably the latter, if he were a troll he would be a better editor in the interest of saving time. the payoff of writing a gigantic wall of text that few people are going to wade through is low

He's been pulling this shtick for literally years now without the mask slipping as far as I know. I think it's fairly safe to call him a true believing libertarian at this point.

And also a colossal idiot, but I repeat myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

I never said people were rational with their limited time :colbert:

I seem to recall there being some condition that, in Jrod's calculations, seemed to color exactly who expressed rational time preferences, versus those who did not.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DrProsek posted:

Jrod, ignoring for a second that you don't understand what property rights means if you're talking about the property rights of a man who owns nothing but a loaf of bread, property rights are actually the thing that keeps that poor man starving in nations like Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Canada, etc. Thanks to their rich oil supply, there are many wealthy Nigerians, Saudis, Canadians, etc who can afford to do all the charity they want, and yet poverty and starvation still exist. Could it be that... trickle down doesn't work??? :monocle:

"That's only because they're crushed under the unprovoked aggression of state taxation, which if removed would result in such a flourishing of charitab-*noisily shits self inside out*

Literally The Worst posted:

he got ran out of the thread created specifically to contain him because he got dunked on so hard so many times and people were starting to talk poo poo about his writing style, and also we wouldn't stop asking if he hosed a watermelon

so yeah let this play it, it'll last two weeks and he'll run away like a baby

Hey, at least that other libertarian was willing to go on the record with his position on the watermelon issue. I don't think it's too much to ask of Jrod, though I'll acquiesce in laying off that burning issue until the thread goes (even more) to hell.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

today in questions jrode will never answer: have you ever hosed a watermelon, jrode?

Hush now, let's let the thread ripen before we go down this road.

eNeMeE posted:

Why do countries with more government regulation have improved healthcare costs for comparable or superior results?

Guilty Spork posted:

* We've tried having capitalism handle health care, and it has failed by numerous metrics. Single-payer systems such as in the UK and Canada provide care to more people for less money. These systems aren't perfect, but they tend to have very high approval ratings from the people who use them and better outcomes overall.

Jrod's go-to answer when hit with examples of how regulated environments out-perform market ones is to claim consequences are irrelevant, and focus on his (tortured, incoherent) morality argument that none of that matters so long as ~*men with guns*~ can force him to pay taxes, any taxes, against his will.

Caros posted:

You open your post by whining about the rules but I have to say jrod it still amazes me that after years, literal years of posting on something awful you don't know a thing about the community here.

Hey don't be too hard on the boy, Caros; it's not like he knows a thing about anything else, either.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

but the mentally ill man keeps running into our fists screaming HIT ME HARDER

Oh no! I'm reliably informed by the historical documentary Rocky III that that sort of behavior means he's rallying and will win in the end! :ohdear:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

paragon1 posted:

Libertarians all think they're going to be Rocky Balboa but they're actually going to be Jean-Claude Van Damme's older brother in the first act of Bloodsport

Or Apollo in Rocky IV. :ussr:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sharkie posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see his explanation of how the Native Americans managed not to almost totally exterminate the buffalo despite the fact that they didn't have any sort of system for recognizing them as privately owned capital. I say "like to see" because I don't actually expect a response; he will ignore this issue like he's ignored so many others.

It'd just be a euphemism-laden version of "that just proves them red savages didn't know how to properly capitalize on their resources, and justifies confiscation/slaughter of same by the superior white man. Now, back to my original point about how race-blind libertarianism is..."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

What constitutes 'homesteading'?

To Jrod? Being white, and heavily-enough armed to turf indigenous peoples off their land. All the rest is post-hoc justification.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 10, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I am very confused.

Splittist!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

You might be able to anticipate my response, but the problem you faced has everything to do with the fact that the police are a part of the State. They have absolutely NO incentive to retrieve your stolen stuff. If, on the other hand you could hire competing security forces to secure your neighborhood and catch and punish thieves then you would be far more likely to see much better protection of your property rights. After all, a private business that depends on your voluntary payments rather than coercive taxation has every incentive to provide you with a good service. If they don't, you can fire them and hire a different security company.

"You see, heavily armed goons who currently control our neighborhood, we're just not satisfied with the level of service you're providing and have decided to stop paying you and hire someone else. This, we think, is rational, well-thought-out, and in no way a parallel to when the post-Roman Britons decided stopping paying their Saxon mercenaries was a great idea with no potential backlash. Furthermore-"*unaccountably dies of a bayonet through the throat*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Smiling Knight posted:

I'm sure the people of the Philippines will be glad to hear that the United States did not actually wage a brutal three-year war against them to maintain its world empire. And many Latin Americans will rejoice when they here that we did not repeatedly invade and depose their governments in order to maintain our economic empire in the 19th and early 20th centuries! Here are just a few such non-existent imperialist military adventures:

http://www.zompist.com/latam.html

Jrod, have you every considered fact-checking something before you spew it onto one of your screeds?

Heh, look at this scrub who thinks such paltry things like "facts," "evidence," and "even the slightest understanding of human history" can stack up against the undeniable, axiomatic truths logically derived from first principles!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

It must be so confusing to read a history book as a Libertarian.

I'm not convinced that they ever do, and libertarian writing, Jrod's in particular, leaves me wondering just how literate they are as a group.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

Mods, please change thread title to "Why Should We Care About Property Rights? Because I will fight you!"

"Care About Property Rights, Or I'll Non-Aggressively Kick Your rear end!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

he means the wrestler

*Horst Wessel Lied starts playing.*
"Bah Gawd, that's Triple H's music!" :bahgawd:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

Don't ask a question if you don't want to know the answer.

Too Late!

2008 Libertarian primary candidate Dr. Mary Ruwart posted:

Children who willingly participate in sexual acts have the right to make that decision as well, even if it’s distasteful to us personally. Some children will make poor choices just as some adults do in smoking and drinking to excess; this is part of life.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

You'll have to ask Manderly to get it requisitioned.

I'm still waiting on the soda machine getting fixed, it keeps giving me lemon-lime!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

The best part about ancap utopias is every time they try to start one either (1) it's a scam and someone runs away with all the money, or (2) they crumple at the slightest show of force from a nearby state no matter how tiny.

Didn't one of them get "conquered" when a nearby African nation, off who's shore they were squatting on a sandbar, sent its Army's marching band to roust them out, or something similar?

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 19, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

spoon0042 posted:

Pretty sure that was the "Republic of Minerva" built up on a reef between Tonga and Fiji before being ousted by the mighty Tongan military (and marching band).

edit: http://www.queenoftheisles.com/HTML/Republic%20of%20Minerva.html

Ah, had a few details wrong. Thanks.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Paine was a Marxist before there was even a Marx and it cracks me up to no end knowing that he's part of the mythologized "Founding Fathers" conservatives talk about :allears:

There's a reason they don't bring him up much outside of the context of "Common Sense" and "The Crisis," and especially stay mute on everything he got up to after, oh I don't know let's pick a date at random here, 1789.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Reztes posted:

Jesus why is that photo even on the poster? So you can literally spit in the red man's face on your way to stealing his home?

That, and to allow the viewer to congratulate themselves on being of a more civilized race.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a libertarian argument for why we need to replace the fuzzy but largely functional system we have now for human interaction with some kind of weird honour-driven barter system?

Because they mistakenly believe doing so would lead to them being the Immortans, rather than (at absolute best) warboys.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The most lolbertarian people I've ever met are absolutely always fat, middle-aged white guys that had their lives literally handed to them for free that think they're being held back by the system and they succeeded, why can't others?

While, of course, failing to realize how much of a massive leg up having parents wealthy enough to pay for your college then connected enough to get you your first job really is. Free college and nepotism are enormous privileges not everybody gets access to but you just can't tell that to these guys. It's always "I got where I am through hardwork and gumption!" Except that they're also mediocre workers at best and squeaked through college with a mediocre GPA. They just can't handle the idea that they aren't John Galt.

I guess it's time to bust out this perennial thread favorite:

China Mielville posted:

The libertarian seasteaders are heirs to this visionary tradition but degrade it with their class politics. They almost make one nostalgic for more grandiose enemy dreams. The uncompromising monoliths of fascist and Stalinist architecture expressed their paymasters’ monstrous ambitions. The wildest of the libertarian seasteaders, New Utopia, manages to crossfertilize its drab Miami-ism with enough candy floss Las Vegaries to keep a crippled baroque distantly in sight. Freedom Ship, however, is a floating shopping mall, a buoyant block of midrange Mediterranean hotels. This failure of utopian imagination is nowhere clearer than in the floating city of the long defunct but still influential Atlantis Project.

It is a libertarian dream. Hexagonal neighborhoods of square apartments bob sedately by tiny coiffed parks and tastefully featureless marinas, an Orange County of the soul. It is the ultimate gated community, designed not by the very rich and certainly not by the very powerful, but by the middlingly so. As a utopia, the Atlantis Project is pitiful. Beyond the single one-trick fact of its watery location, it is tragically non-ambitious, crippled with class anxiety, nostalgic not for mythic glory but for the anonymous sanctimony of an invented 1950s. This is no ruling class vision: it is the plaintive daydream of a petty bourgeoisie, whose sulky solution to perceived social problems is to run away–set sail into a tax-free sunset.

None of this is surprising. Libertarianism is not a ruling-class theory. It may be indulged, certainly, for the useful ideas it can throw up, and its prophets have at times influenced dominant ideologies–witness the cack-handed depredations of the “Chicago Boys” in Chile after Allende’s bloody overthrow. But untempered by the realpolitik of Reaganism and Thatcherism, the anti-statism of “pure” libertarianism is worse than useless to the ruling class.

Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy.

Though in practice, I could have bolded the whole drat thing...Ok, just one more bit from Mieville's damning conclusion:

quote:

It is a small schadenfreude to know that these dreams will never come true. There are dangerous enemies, and then there are jokes of history. The libertarian seasteaders are a joke. The pitiful, incoherent and cowardly utopia they pine for is a spoilt child’s autarky, an imperialism of outsourcing, a very petty fascism played as maritime farce: Pinochet of Penzance.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

^^ a generation of chemtrails and water fluoridation has resulted in a polarized the political climate, obviously

Wasn't John Galt like the ultimate "ideas guy" though? He basically asks a bunch of people to strike against society and then rubes them into creating Galt's Gulch. The only thing that he actually creates is a magic infinite energy machine, which he probably didn't even build himself (he had the resources of a former employer at his disposal)

Galt was only very marginally anything other than a mouthpiece for Rand herself. He really had no characteristics other than "is supremely cool and good and you should all listen to him you guys," and even by the exceptionally low standards of Rand's writing is notably one-dimensional.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

You can't tell me that Hans-Herman Hoppe wouldn't at least try on the uniform, though.

He'd have been one of the early adopters, who would have with any luck caught a bullet during the Munich putsch.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

HorseLord posted:

You barely did anyway. The American experience of WWII was entrapping people who were actually fighting the nazis with extortionate loans on equipment you didn't even have the knowledge to design, (this is how America went from a economic failure to a superpower) then making a bunch of movies about how the three or four yankee soldiers who actually knew where europe was supposedly saved the world.

The Pacific Theater: totally not a thing, says the shitposter who's railing on about how Pearl Harbor is something Americans get too worked up about.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

That's not what I'm talking about, but do continue being a complete loving moron

Don't worry, he will!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

Or is this just part of the natural life cycle of a JRod thread before the containment zone was put in place? He loses his argument, he vanishes, and we start eating each other until the thread gets closed?

That's how things usually end, but prior to that point we usually are treated to periods where Jrod vanishes for a while, then pops back up to only answer the most facile and unserious posts made (often ones which are accurately accusing his idols of being racists or misogynists for some odd reason) and decrying any number of petty complaints before essentially posting the same things he's already said all over again, sometimes interspersed with sneeringly self-righteous demands that us evil Statists "just put the guns down" w.r.t. the existence of basic social legislation and/or property tax.

Of newer vintage, he also now seems to want to fight us in real life.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zeal posted:

modern, dedicated stalinists and trotskyists have always struck me as odd. it was a succession dispute in an empire most of them didn't even live in, that no longer exists, whose contenders left no dynasties to continue supporting. i mean, come on guy. stalin and trotsky are both a little too dead to care which one you'd have preferred get the big chair after Lenin

b-b-but my ~*ideological correctness*~ :ussr:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

But the other guys are splitters!

Workers of the world, unite!
*immediately schisms into dozens of mutually antagonistic factions over the most trivial of bullshit*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Well at least that bullshit's over with.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

echinopsis posted:

man 25 pages of this poo poo? jrod is loving you all over. he has thoroughly owned every last one of you

Uhhh excuse me, ever heard of a little thing called "I do no consent to joinder?"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Libertarianism: blacks, Jews, Muslims, Irish, women need not apply (not racist/sexist for realsies)

Why is it critics of libertarianism spend all their time harping on debatably racist/sexist things? Even if true, and they're not, such matters are tangential at best to what I came here to talk about, and furthermore-
*writes 40,000 more words in a single post focusing squarely on subjects of race and/or sex, somehow managing to confirm worst possible suspicions about libertarians by so doing.*

i'm a cutter w/ a machine gun on the front, toot toot

:sureboat:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Were you there in one of the previous appearances in the jrod thread where he literally did this like a dozen times in a row? Every single post for a week was basically what you typed here and it was endlessly funny. "I wish you guys would stop talking about racism, it's irrelevant to the discussion, furthermore *writes a 1000-word essay about how not-racist libertarians are*".

He's done that in more than one iteration of this thread, you'll need to be more specific.

Because I've been in all of them. :smithicide:

Malleum posted:

Was it jrod that posted about the negroid's inherent propensity for violence or was that just one of the many shitheads he plagiarized?

How can anyone keep track at this point?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

If they actually used the word "negroid," there's like a 95% chance it was Hoppe.

Well yeah, but I don't put it past Jrod to have plagiarized it with a mild edit of the more outrageous terms.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gee fellas, I'm starting to get the idea that maybe-no wait hear me out on this one, maybe libertarians have such a murky definition of what constitutes aggression intentionally as it allows them to legitimize what violence they approve of while simultaneously claiming a moral high ground.

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't it ironic that one of the Libertarian Free Market tropes is that we cannot predict the results of economic choices because we cannot understand people?

Well you see my friend, if we start from the simple axiom that Humans Act, we can subsequently logically determ- *prolonged, squeak fart*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

"We'll run the entire country on charitable donations! No, this is not a bad plan!"

"What? No of course I won't donate, you stinking, looting altruist!"
*mashes Valhalla DRO panic alarm*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What's to stop someone from just claiming they're a DRO and printing out their own DRO card? Would there be an over-arching authority for DROs to be accredited, like doctors or teachers? What if you set up your own accreditation service?

e:For that matter, who registers doctors or teachers? Who handles stuff like 'working with kids' cards?

Well clearly independent verification agencies would arise, and market competition would naturally result in the best of them becoming the gold standard* from which no DRO would dare to deviate lest people take their business elsewhere, which I think is an arrangement you'd agree would never, ever be corrupted by collusion, bribery, or force.

*because what other standard would libertarians ever really respect?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Oh NO! Regulation!

Nonsense; it's reputation agencies all the way down.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's pretty funny that the only other time you see people arguing that "system X only works if people are perfect angels" is in the most vulgar critiques of various socialist systems. I think Jrod is the only proponent of a political system that I've ever seen actually and unironically claiming that his system will work because people are inherently good.

I remember seeing an interview once where, in one of his infrequent moments of genuine self-reflection, Penn Jillette admitted that the root of his libertarianism is deep-felt personal optimism and faith in others. For as obnoxious as the man often is, and as toxic and repellent as his political philosophy always is, I have to admit that's among the less-bad reasons to believe something (as bad and nonsensical as what he believes actually is).

VitalSigns posted:

Not only are people inherently good, but the mere existence of government turns them bad which is the only reason why conscientious consumer boycotts haven't ended slavery and exploitation and sweatshops today.

Were I feeling generous and/or didn't know that the base of all of Jrod's arguments was personal greed and a juvenile desire to not pay taxes/go to be on time, I'd say there's almost something neo-Rousseauian in his dislike for the state and insistence on warlordism organic, voluntary social organization.

I'm not feeling that generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

What if you're gleaning fish from waters that no white people have fished in before?

Something something mixing your labor with the land/sea(?) something something no of course it doesn't apply to those red savages something something.

• Locked thread