Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

By the time I got to it all of the center seats at the only subbed showing in my city were bought up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Closest place playing it is Vancouver and I'm not sure I want to catch a ferry to watch it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

That rumor was completely false

Yep. Loran's early designs were more masculine, not less.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If I go to see Seed Freedom, how high should I get before I go?

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务
the movie already provides the high, you just get drunk off the insanity it keeps pumping into itself

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Yes, I did the Cima event. It was on /m/. /m/ Has for the past... long while actually I don't recall how long it's been going, had a concurrent "/m/ plays Gihren's Greed" campaign run by different game masters. It was started by X, then Copy X took over, I did a filler campaign while Copy X was away. Right now the current campaign is a hybrid /m/sv and [BRIGHT] campaign which has been going on for what feels like years now... and also is loving bonkers.

Well, this all inspired me to finally give a Blex campaign go in English for the first time. I just barely got the Zeta to the Argama in time (don't rush Jaburo!), and Char just gave his Dakar speech. I've gotta ask, though: who the hell is Manity?

Until we pulled Cowan out of Torrington prison got alignment over 900 her and Blex were the only two keeping the lights on at AEUG and I don't remember her at all from watching Zeta.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arbite posted:

Well, this all inspired me to finally give a Blex campaign go in English for the first time. I just barely got the Zeta to the Argama in time (don't rush Jaburo!), and Char just gave his Dakar speech. I've gotta ask, though: who the hell is Manity?

Until we pulled Cowan out of Torrington prison got alignment over 900 her and Blex were the only two keeping the lights on at AEUG and I don't remember her at all from watching Zeta.

She is in like exactly one or two scenes. Not episodes, scenes. Manity Mandana. They were desperate for AEUG characters so loving Mezun Max is in the game Mezun Max is the Karate Captain from the first episode who punched Kamille when he went to go ditch practice.

For the run I did she wound up marrying Hayato since Fraw's path greatly diverged from his when she got made a pilot of one of the Proto Gundams and mentored under Yazan in the North America theatre... God that run was so much fun, I wish I'd learned how to do a lot of the things I did at the end of the campaign by the time I did the start of it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

She is in like exactly one or two scenes. Not episodes, scenes. Manity Mandana. They were desperate for AEUG characters so loving Mezun Max is in the game Mezun Max is the Karate Captain from the first episode who punched Kamille when he went to go ditch practice.

For the run I did she wound up marrying Hayato since Fraw's path greatly diverged from his when she got made a pilot of one of the Proto Gundams and mentored under Yazan in the North America theatre... God that run was so much fun, I wish I'd learned how to do a lot of the things I did at the end of the campaign by the time I did the start of it.

Interesting, thank you.

Good question, Blex. The conflicts now less about souls weighed down by gravity and more killing machines shoved forward by inertia, I suppose.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
"Yazan mentors Fraw Bo" was not a sentence I was expecting to read today but I need more of this concept

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MechaX posted:

"Yazan mentors Fraw Bo" was not a sentence I was expecting to read today but I need more of this concept

It fascinates me. How many of those games have translations? I assume not many, if any at all, because of the sheer amount of text and extremely niche audience.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nuebot posted:

It fascinates me. How many of those games have translations? I assume not many, if any at all, because of the sheer amount of text and extremely niche audience.

About half of one, sadly. I got interested years back when I read if you chose to send the Doms to Ramba Ral he'd capture the White Base.

It's here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arbite posted:

Good question, Blex. The conflicts now less about souls weighed down by gravity and more killing machines shoved forward by inertia, I suppose.

Increased spending on man-bun technology

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Paptimus is proof you don't actually need to have ever stepped foot on earth to be weighed down by it's gravity

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MechaX posted:

So I kept the white base as an independent force going around just shitstomping and that was Amuro, Hayato, Kai and then Michel from 08th MS once he stopped being injured. Sayla got put on Revil's ship with Shiro and they captured all three Zabi Heir's (excluding Garma who was off dicking around with Pierce Reyer down in Indonesia) in a single battle. Yazan got the first Protogundam and broke the stale mate in Mexico, earning the "Black Beast" title and essentially being the Earth forces premier ace. He met Fraw in the battle of California, after Mirai's Pegasus was shot down, and she'd been traumatized from the disastrous Hawaii reclamation operation.

He basically helped her see through the fog of combat and learn to keep her emotions in check (Yes, from Yazan Gable of all people, in his defense he's only like 19 in the OYW). After their forces got split he gave her his flight jacket as a memento. The had a pretty long lasting friendship until he was conscripted into the Titans service. Fraw, Sleggar and Ryu were the only WB pilots to remain in the service after Amuro and Sayla were placed under house arrest and Jamitov seized power in federation parliament because we kept turning down all his ideas and he went nutso.

This all came to ahead when Jamitov ordered Yazan to assassinate her using the Gundam MK.V and he mentally broke down from the pressure of it all, disappearing until CCA where he arrived to save Amuro from Char's Sazabi (Amuro was only in the ReGZ, very outmatched). The run went nuts, I had a tremendous amount of fun playing and writing it.

Stairmaster posted:

Paptimus is proof you don't actually need to have ever stepped foot on earth to be weighed down by it's gravity

Scirocco and Haman I think are excellent because Tomino essentially puts a knife in Zeon Zum Deikun's original Newtype Philosophy. I.E. "We will become a race able to perfectly understand one another, and this will lead to peace." Followed by Kamille perfectly understanding Scirocco and despising him.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Increased spending on man-bun technology

Well, Kamille just stuck a fork in him and kept his own sanity in the process, which is nice but all hell broke loose the moment that bun was cooked. Not only does Axis just get gifted a bit more territory (which is typical for this game), but they immediately started pushing everywhere, including right onto my capital in Granada.

I am hugging the final supply point in multiple sectors desperately trying to hold out until reinforcements are rushed from the east, meanwhile better tech than me is flying all over the maps. Only occasionally can I just pick off a unit that's out of position without taking disproportionate casualties.

It's harrowing, and honestly? This is what the early Revil campaign should have been.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arbite posted:

Well, Kamille just stuck a fork in him and kept his own sanity in the process, which is nice but all hell broke loose the moment that bun was cooked. Not only does Axis just get gifted a bit more territory (which is typical for this game), but they immediately started pushing everywhere, including right onto my capital in Granada.

I am hugging the final supply point in multiple sectors desperately trying to hold out until reinforcements are rushed from the east, meanwhile better tech than me is flying all over the maps. Only occasionally can I just pick off a unit that's out of position without taking disproportionate casualties.

It's harrowing, and honestly? This is what the early Revil campaign should have been.

A lot of people play the early EFSF campaign and come off with the mindset that it's super difficult, when the reality is they just don't know what to do I can regularly get Beijing by Turn 5 nowadays but in the past I was indirectly responsible for people cheating in resources in the EFSF campaign because "It's really not fair and fun otherwise."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've done it like five times on normal and whatever the difficulty one notch above normal is and I still think the EFSF start is a huge pain in the rear end that is honestly not very fun. Great campaign after the very start but the start is cursed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

I've done it like five times on normal and whatever the difficulty one notch above normal is and I still think the EFSF start is a huge pain in the rear end that is honestly not very fun. Great campaign after the very start but the start is cursed.

I don't necessarily agree "Great campaign after the start" but only because the Mid Game Kerfuckle is incredibly lopsided.

You go from fighting the Delaz Fleet, who're about in par with you but your forces are scattered and also been filled with a bunch of garbage from the post-war. To fighting Axis who are incredibly overpowered for the stage of the game you fight them, have zero story associated with them, and either you blitz them, get beaten to poo poo by them, or beat them at their level in which case, you then fight the Titans who for some reason, deploy a bunch of Oldsmobile stuff. Also limited plot there too.

Like it was bad enough I actively looked into how I could fire an event earlier to see if I could force the Titans stuff to occur at the same time as the Axis stuff. No dice, sadly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The "we have mobile suits now" part of the OYW and the Delaz part are fun since you get to use the EFSF's deep reserve of pilots the whole time. The Axis part is rough at the start, but it's not too bad if you sandbag and fight defensively since you're not really fighting a timer anymore.

When EFSF fights the Titans after Axis it's a total pushover, but most campaigns end on a total pushover. Any player Titans campaign that sits around long enough to befriend Scirocco is going to be fighting Char's Neo Zeon with Xi Gundams, for example.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

The "we have mobile suits now" part of the OYW and the Delaz part are fun since you get to use the EFSF's deep reserve of pilots the whole time. The Axis part is rough at the start, but it's not too bad if you sandbag and fight defensively since you're not really fighting a timer anymore.

When EFSF fights the Titans after Axis it's a total pushover, but most campaigns end on a total pushover. Any player Titans campaign that sits around long enough to befriend Scirocco is going to be fighting Char's Neo Zeon with Xi Gundams, for example.

God... looking over this stuff just makes me wish we had another game and it was more expansive and it'll never happen. I'd love for them to reintroduce old mechanics like Fleets and loyalty.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

God... looking over this stuff just makes me wish we had another game and it was more expansive and it'll never happen. I'd love for them to reintroduce old mechanics like Fleets and loyalty.

Has Axis V's Japanese text been dumped/categorized?

Considering the technical hurdles the translator has had to bend around to get English text on the screen it sounds like it would be faster (to someone with the knowhow) to just remake the game on PC with the names filed off and have a 'mod' that puts the franchise material in. Have inserting text (and cutscenes, and even music) be natively supported.

Anyway,

Quattro's back too! :toot: The gang's all here and finally controllable.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arbite posted:

Has Axis V's Japanese text been dumped/categorized?

Considering the technical hurdles the translator has had to bend around to get English text on the screen it sounds like it would be faster (to someone with the knowhow) to just remake the game on PC with the names filed off and have a 'mod' that puts the franchise material in. Have inserting text (and cutscenes, and even music) be natively supported.

Anyway,

Quattro's back too! The gang's all here.

No, because the way the structure of the text is, is stored in a very weird way, like I genuinely don't understand the file structure of Axis V, there seems to be legitimately some very proprietary system used to make the games. Even japanese hackers really like "Yeah we have like very little idea how the gently caress this is actually all 'made'

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

No, because the way the structure of the text is, is stored in a very weird way, like I genuinely don't understand the file structure of Axis V, there seems to be legitimately some very proprietary system used to make the games. Even japanese hackers really like "Yeah we have like very little idea how the gently caress this is actually all 'made'

Hmm. I bet the text is all in some printed guide, like the magazine/dvd bundle with BOZ's cutscenes and a transcription. Now buried deep in some book-off in some Book-Off in Kanagawa, if anywhere.

Also, aww.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I really wish they'd release one of those officially in English.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They were niche enough that they don't even make them for Japanese audiences anymore, which is why everyone talking about it talks about a PSP game that released in 2008.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

They were niche enough that they don't even make them for Japanese audiences anymore, which is why everyone talking about it talks about a PSP game that released in 2008.

It's a power fantasy in the best way a video game can be. Save Garma, save Ral, keep the Federation from crumbling, properly avenge Deikun, get Char and Judau into Haman's court, help Édouard plonk Axis in three different eras using three different aliases, or, my personal favourite, keep faith with Cima and stop Stardust cold with her help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can you make Char and Amuro get married tho

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Can you make Char and Amuro get married tho

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

I still want to see what a PC strategy game (RTS, 4X, Grand, or Turn Based Tactics) with a Gundam skin would do with an EN and JP localization. Mech games in general are niche. Strategy games are niche. But people still buy Paradox games, Civ games, hell they bought SRW30 and that's an 'SRPG' which is turn based tactics with more numbers.

I dunno, I'm probably coping.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arbite posted:

It's a power fantasy in the best way a video game can be. Save Garma, save Ral, keep the Federation from crumbling, properly avenge Deikun, get Char and Judau into Haman's court, help Édouard plonk Axis in three different eras using three different aliases, or, my personal favourite, keep faith with Cima and stop Stardust cold with her help.

Cima Garahau and Scirocco can both be members of the Federation fighting against the Titans, Axis and Neo Zeon. Most of the WB crew can be recruited by the various Zeon factions by playing with high morality. One of the older games had "Custom Faction" Which let you pick an all star pilot list and your faction was that and you'd fight both Zeon and the Federation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanos posted:

And I want them to release it in English :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I still want to see what a PC strategy game (RTS, 4X, Grand, or Turn Based Tactics) with a Gundam skin would do with an EN and JP localization. Mech games in general are niche. Strategy games are niche. But people still buy Paradox games, Civ games, hell they bought SRW30 and that's an 'SRPG' which is turn based tactics with more numbers.

I dunno, I'm probably coping.

SRW is a loooot more simplistic than Gihren's Ambition and a lot more flashy. There's definitely a market for 4X games and grand strategy games, I just am on a serious level of doubt that a franchise that failed to continue to find purchase in what should be the most fertile ground possible(selling what amounts to a OYW simulator to Japanese fans) would see much more success in a broader context.

Note that if they did it I'd buy it on day one, of course.

Nuebot posted:

And I want them to release it in English :colbert:

Well, if that's your sole requirement, good news! There's a translation patch for the game in question which has a bunch of the routes finished.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 12, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

To be fair what killed Gihren's Ambition was well.. a lack of ambition. Threat of Axis V is really cool but it's also an updated re-release of Threat of Axis And if you go look at Gihren's Ambition on the PSX or Sega Saturn and Threat of Axis V, you can tell they aren't pushing it. They started trying something new with War for Zeon Independence, and then immediately backpedaled. Then they tried again with New Gihren's Ambition. But while that game is trying something new it's also... not? Like... The idea behind NGA was "Well if we sell a whole bunch of DLC it'll be super profitable."

And then the DLC was all terrible and the base offering wasn't supremely exciting.

Instead of iterating, building, developing and improving, they just kept dipping a toe, then pulling back. A niche for a niche that never improved.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zeonic has been translating the G Gundam story bible and

Govern of
Universe
Nation
Decide
Advanced
Mobile Suit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Govern of
Universe
Nation
Decide
Advanced
Mobile Suit

lmao bless

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I can actually see what they were going for with that acronym. It’s almost there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh btw, someone asked in Threat of Axis V had a text dump, technically yes. it's all pngs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_ posted:

Govern of
Universe
Nation
Decide
Advanced
Mobile Suit

Once again, a lot of people owe Gundam Seed an apology.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Oh btw, someone asked in Threat of Axis V had a text dump, technically yes. it's all pngs.

Hah! What, one for every character that gets added to the frame? This I gotta see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gripweed posted:

Once again, a lot of people owe Gundam Seed an apology.

Ok fair