Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kira Yamato's crying is also a killing word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You need to vote for the Char clone with an affinity for high speed transforming mobile suits and ridiculous swords.

Also silly obvious disguise names that fool nobody and whose girlfriend is cooler than they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vote for the one with the really cool voice actor who was in Evangelion and voiced the protagonist of a Persona game and the villain in a Mega Man Legends and Final Fantasy games

Actually, vote for the one who was in Octopath Traveller 2. Although I guess if you need a tie breaker you could go for the one who voices a major antagonist in a Jojo series.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 14, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it's a twitter poll, I assume it boils down to which side cares enough to rig more in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

i do not think allenby wins this tournament but she's who i want to win this tournament

Sorry, she loses to Rain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I never got the impression Hathaway has a serious problem with his dad, he's just kind of a grumpy teenager.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

What's Hathaway's opinion of Bright by the time he's pulling off Mafty attacks? Does he view him as a cog in the machine or does he sympathize with the stresses Bright is placed under by the uncaring leadership?

Mafty is explicitly focused on the rich/high-status part of the federation, not the Federation as a whole. The rank and file are treated more sympathetically, particularly Kenneth. Bright actually makes comments in support of Mafty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Interesting that he's sympathetic to guys like Kenneth when Kenneth is pretty ruthless and fully willing to beat confessions out of prisoners while his Davao garrison gives zero shits about collateral damage to civilians.

Kenneth is explicitly someone who changes a fair bit over the course of Hathaway's Flash and ends up radicalized by the end.

Bright on the other hand is basically implied to become almost religious. The last thing we hear of him is that he's starting a restaurant because he wants to provide people with food and comfort and live a 'normal life', but in the back of his head he's concerned everything he experienced and learned would be forgotten and he thinks his outlook might shift, he might end up in politics, and 'become a second coming of Zeon Zum Deikun" and push for humanity to become Newtypes. (He also recognizes this might be seen as foolish and wouldn't get votes.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unicorn has more good characters than V Gundam does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sander posted:

I gotta respect Mafty for following up on the stated mission statement of fighting the evil Earth elites by blowing up said Earth elites, instead of committing a random mass atrocity while crying about how Ghiren did nothing wrong or something.

Mafty’s greatest sin is Hathaway’s questionable planning and letting his hang ups get the best of him. He boarded that shuttle wanting to “at least look his victims in the eye” or some poo poo. He could’ve instead had a single Messer on a subflight pull up to the shuttle and delete all those ministers with a single beam rifle discharge (more if the pilot’s aim suck) and minimal collateral. His approach instead ended up with the Davao operation which had its collateral spiral out of control due to Fed response.

Hathaway is basically still full of all the trauma from accidentally killing Quess Chen which basically is going to gently caress up anything he does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

People say Blex dying was the shot that killed the Federation but IMO that was definitely Revil. Revil being killed by the Solar Ray is the death blow to the Federation's guiding leader who actually held the politicians to account and who was the only one who could make reforms.

Revil was important and his survival would have made things better, but he was already pretty firmly on the "trust in the future generations" side of things. Losing him sucked but it would have been possible to recover if someone else had been able to take up even some of his slack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chen doesn't exist in the other versions, Hathaway pulls an Amuro/Lalah on Quess instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

A friend of mine theorized that end of season one Master Asia is a duplicate made by the Devil Gundam.

That would go directly against the big reveal that he wasn't infected by Devil Gundam at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GG Gundam, where Rain and Domon's daughter has to join up with the New Shuffle Alliance to find out what happened to her missing parents. Along the way she battles a strange new hoard of monsters lead by the Angel Gundam and is assisted by a mysterious masked man who calls himself Schwartz Vater.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

presenting gundam wing in smell-o-vision

Look, it is important that you know Trieze canonically smells like roses at all times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bright doesn't care how you identify as long as you identify as a teenager who steals a Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want to see a bunch of plucky young GM pilots who accidentally stumble onto Zeon's most secret weapon, the GELGOOG, and they have to battle this unstoppable overpowered force.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Wanna see the first time a Zaku was ever used, before the Federation even started Project V

The Origin has that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Woulda been better if the box contained evidence that the feds knew about newtypes and genocided them or something like that.

That would have been more damaging and made the use of newtypes by the feds 80 years later even more disgusting to people in Unicorn once revealed.

That literally goes against the entire point of the box, which is that it was something entirely neutral and it was up to the people who found it to determine the context and how to present it.

Like the entire point of the Laplace Box is that it had something potentially inflammatory in it, and Full Frontal's folks were going to use that to start up tensions, and then Mineva 'defused' it by painting it not as an inflammatory thing but as a message of hope. The entirety of Unicorn is about how symbols mean what people want them to mean. That's like the entire point of Full Frontal.

Like, genuinely:

Mineva is the last Zabi and her value to people is not as a person but as a symbol, with her support and weight coming entirely from what she means and not who she is. Banagher earns her love because he's like the first person to view her as a person and not a Zabi. Full Frontal is not Char, he is the idea of Char made manifest, a Char that people can project what they want from Char onto. poo poo, the mere idea of something becoming a Gundam and what Gundam means is basically the entire premise behind the Unicorn Gundam.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 28, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Yeah and most of the complaints here about Unicorn were that the story sucked.

Going the other route you can still leave it up to interpretation ie, the proto-federation was bad about newtypes but then ended up using them in the end and currently beginning to accept them. Zeon was more rooted around them being a thing, but made horrible decisions with them (Marida) etc so it would potentially be info that while likely to be destabilizing to the feds in some way, could also be used 80 years later towards something else.

I just think that it would work as a better story element than an edited declaration which was and still is seemingly non-binding.

I mean the other route genuinely sounds worse to me. It doesn't fit anything about the story and doesn't really lead to any coherent ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

They aren't supposed to in UC although SEED and X break with it.

SEED never breaks it I think. All the funnel units don't use them on Earth.

Apprentice Dick posted:

Every time I see it I just can't imagine who thought this was a good idea

I have to wonder at what point people will just accept SEED is popular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

Still going to hate seed but that's my problem, not anyone else's. Still annoyed at the usual Gundam references becoming direct Gundam fanservice. At least when real world militaries invent dumb backronyms, the result is something. Zaku and Gouf aren't even pre-existing words in the seedverse. It'd make sense if it was one of the Gunpla series because fans can do whatever dumb poo poo they want (even air gunpla, as much as I hate that).

On one hand I get what you're saying.

On the other hand it isn't like Gundam is a word either. Like there's not really a meaningful difference between "This world has Gundam" and "This world has Zaku and Gouf and Z'gok" except that one is the title of the series.

Edit: And also to be fair 'kind of nonsense words' fit right in with BuCUE, GuAIZ, GINN, CGUE, and of course GOOhN.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 2, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

My complaint isn't specifically the painfully stupid backronyms. They exist IRL and I can hate it fine/enjoy the fact that a lot of people had to read the paperwork before approving of it.

Hell, even GUNDAM is fine because at least it has the word gun in it. I'm not going to condemn a long-running series named Gundam give a little nod to the name Gundam. I am going to be annoyed when they do that to a multitude of things like ZAKU, GOUF, and DOM. gently caress, for all we know BABI is an acronym too but thank god they just kind of made a low-effort hamfisted Hambrabi reference and never followed up on it. Heck, the original series has GINN and CGUE and GuAIZ but they also never pretend they're anything. I'm specifically annoyed at the needless unabashed unearned (hiss) fanservice that breaks my immersion.

I can see it but honestly I feel that way about a lot of Gundam shows. Like to me the epitome of 'unearned fanservice' is where 00 Gundam ends with Setsuna F. Seiei murdering the NotRX-78-2 piloted by NotAmuro Ray. I get what it was going for but that was, to me, probably the most eyerolling thing the franchise has done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

:shepface: elaborate more, I am deeply curious

Almost everyone survived in IBO's ending. The Gundam pilots and Orga died and that was sad but by and large they achieved their goals of protecting the people they care about. It was truly sad for those people but Tekkadan honestly ended up in better shape than like the AEUG in terms of long term survival. It's still a genuine tragedy but it feels defanged as much as humanly possible while still getting to the necessary ending, and you even have things like Iok getting a conveniently contrived comeuppance at the last second.

It's certainly not a cheerful 100% victory everyone wins ending but it feels like it just barely crosses the line of 'truly awful tragedy' like it was going for. All the sympathetic and kind people survive and escape and it's only the warriors who prepared themselves to die in the first place who do so.

(Like honestly I feel the most impactful part of the ending is Ride just fuckin' up and murdering Nobliss, and even that is 'REVENGE FOR ORGA")

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iok dying was cathartic as hell but that is kind of why I didn't like it in context. The dude was a tremendous pile of poo poo but the idea that the 'villains' won in the ending would have hit harder if Iok didn't decide to Leroy Jenkins it up and we see this awful shitpile basically get to continue forward. It absolutely ends up feeling like "All the REALLY ANNOYING guys get their comeuppance and the one to survive is the Basically Competent Evil One."

Like honestly I'd have been way more down with Iok dying as the catharsis to a bleaker ending, but the ending is positive enough that I don't think it earned the "horrible shithead dies at the last second" payoff. If anything I think Nobliss does it better because Nobliss' death emphasizes that not everyone from Tekkadan escaped to better lives and Ride has basically just become a next-generation Orga/Mika. (Dude is doing murder, wearing Orga's scarf and using Mika's gun, he's not living a happy life.)

But that's a problem I have with IBO in general in that it tends to go too hard on the villains being dumb unlikable shitheads who you're glad to see get humiliating deaths, especially in the second season. I think Carta Issue was probably the best handled of the lot in that she was a loving horrible person responsible for Biscuit's death and her death is still painted as this horrifying brutal thing where she gets bashed to death and dies crying and miserable and there's no real sense of catharsis to it because even if she was objectively awful, it underlined just how terrible a death she faced.

IBO is at its best when violence has impact and feels awful and at its worst when violence feels like payoff at least to me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 4, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Is that the common view of Carta, especially relative to others in the setting or franchise as a whole? She was a mixture of delusion and naive due to her family stuffing her into a historically easy post that wouldn't have exposed to any real experience or danger, but your post seems to single her out as singularly horrific even by the standards of the show, which seems odd to me. I wouldn't have even viewed her as much worse than Gaelio during season one, frankly; who was fairly naive and deluded due to his status and family much of the time too. Is it just because she killed a likable character?

She's not a horrible person by the standards of the show (she isn't the evil child murder space pirates for example) but she's still a pretty bad person. Gali Gali was also a terrible person in S1 though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Any guesses if something will be announced at the Gundam Series 45th Anniversary Special Distribution event happening tomorrow? Toru Furuya, Tomokazu Seki and Kana Ichinose are gonna attend.

It's the 30th anniversary of G Gundam and some people have been speculating that they might talk about an Allenby spinoff that was tossed around as a possible 90s OVA but never got made.

I'm going to guess Hathaway and maybe a remaster of G Gundam or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

God I hope we get some more Hathaway news.

A part of me just thought about how if you sent this message back a decade into the past, a lot of English Gundam fans would think you were insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1776933800112525427?t=-NPkfJ9eI6jQ7ZsZiy7LDg&s=19

There is a G Gundam project in the works but it's unclear what form it'll take. Cool character design.

70% chance it's a manga
20% chance it is some kind of mobile gatcha game
9% chance it is a fighting game
1% chance it is a new anime.'

Place your bets!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

00 is maybe pound-for-pound the show with the dumbest Gundam names. There’s always a new one to surprise me!

BRING STABBITY, NOOOOOOOO

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That said the ultimate Gundam name is and will remain Klimton Nicchini's father Zuchini Nicchini.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I really hope the next mainline Gundam isn't a super tank. I feel like between Phase Shift, GN Particles, The AGE System's magic bullshit, Nano-Laminate and the Aeriel's insane super barriers I just kind of want to see one that is more focused on raw dodging.

I know Gundams being super tanky is there from the start but I'd like to see a bit more of the "rocket tag" danger element.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ELS genuinely need more time and you need to have a team who is able to make Psychic Dude Communicates With Alien Species feel compelling instead of having him do it offscreen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

Getting my preorder in for the HG 1/144 Queeblorx's Tic-Tac.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WFM doing basically the same thing as Unicorn really felt very strange.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

I still wonder if Saji was intended as a replacement for lockon before the latter became so popular that they needed to replace him with his twin brother.

It seemed like a solid through line. Two kids traumatized by war, ending up on opposite sides of the conflict to do battle with one another.

Except the reality is that Saji spent the entirety of those battles facing the wrong way in the 0 raiser's cockpit which sort of muted the impact.

Lockon 2: Lock Harder shows up in the first season so probably not.

To be honest if I think Saji was planned for anything early on it would be replacing Setsuna. There's at least some weight behind the idea that at one point 00 was intended to end with all or almost all of Celestial Being dying/at least appearing dead and we'd get new pilots in part 2. Obviously if that was planned it changed probably pre-production but at least enough lingers around that you get like Soma and Saji joining CB and then kind of just hanging out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best part of 00 period is this gif.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Memento Mori was great until they went "jk lol we had another one" and then Setsuna effortlessly destroyed it in a way that seemed custom-tailored to make the rest of the team look worthless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That was sick. Also he destroyed the second one much later

It is literally two episodes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll say it, I think Freedom is a more entertainingly absolutely batshit Gundam movie than Trailblazer.