Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Heavy Metal posted:

Good to know.

Right on, so for 00 would that be a thing where the first season on its own is any good? And sounds like that'd work for Seed? I'm not in the habit of watching half a show, but my curiosity for these two is kind of in the middle so maybe that'd be something.

SEED had a more definitive ending at its conclusion than 00 had after season one. S1 very much ended on a lead-in for S2. You can definitely drop it after that if you aren't interested in its movie.

Personally I think 00 stuff after S1 is much more worth watching than SEED stuff after the original, but there are some real diminishing returns in its execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Elsewhere I once wrote way too many words picking apart the HD version, and I watched it way too many times.

One of my favorite details is how goddamn much Nicol missed by in the new version. He is charging the Strike and somehow flies into the sword which ends up being held out to the right and behind the Strike, despite the fact he is holding that spike in the Blitz' left hand. For that to happen he'd have to be WAY off course, to the point that if Kira had done absolutely nothing Nicol would have just sailed by.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

Dianna Soreil.

Diana Soleil.

Queen of the Moon and her last name is French for Sun.

Diana, Roman goddess of the moon.

Arc Hammer, goddamn idiot getting dinged in the head at 12:30 a.m. with realization of a blatantly obvious reference burrowing it's way through his subconscious.

Yep.

I've also always theorized that Loran's name (which is consistently localized as Rolan in many places) probably comes from "Roland", as in Charlemagne's nephew from the Middle Ages who became an icon of knighthood, but that's just me spitballing poo poo I don't know enough about.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the only point against it is that Roland is specifically known for dying while fighting to turn back the invasion.

Hence why I only bring it up as a theory. I don't know much, but there's clearly no singular obvious smoking gun beyond maybe Loran's sword not breaking at the end?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chrome line posted:

It's me, I'm the Hirai hater. Somehow Freedom's designs are even worse than the og ones

I continue to believe Hirai is phoning it in for Freedom. I don't think he's amazing, but prior to this point he was at least COMPETENT. He's got a problem with sameface, not with basic proportions.

Of course the animation and production of SEED (and Freedom based on those trailers...) afforded him no favors.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

My big problem with Destiny Gundam, which I otherwise like, is the completely inexplicable choice to give it palm mounted laser canons despite the fact its palms are almost always occupied.

Lowe has a Shining Finger too but at least in his case it is 'accidentally overloading the palm power supply' and not an intentional design choice.

If isn't quite '00 Gundam stuck its super valuable reactors on its shoulders' bad but it bugs me, especially since all the other ZAFT nuclear Gundams are designed around being able to use all of their weapons at once.

I think the Watsonian excuse (I.e.: besides "Shining Finger LOL") is that the palm cannons are supposed to be midrange, anti-armor/MA weaponry. Shinn doesn't ACTUALLY have to shoot them at point-blank range, in fact I remember a video from a while back showing the Destiny's first outing in a videogame a little bit prior to its appearance in the show had it firing the palm cannons as cannons and not melee weapons. In theory it means that the Destiny has a good range of weapon options for a variety of engagements, having a variety of ranged and melee weapons. In practice Shinn yelled really loudly and hit things there wasn't really a good reason to not put the palm cannons on its wrists or something.

Gaius Marius posted:

Shinn probably would've had a more interesting and postive arc if he had killed Kira and realized that it didn't actually accomplish nothing.

I would have settled on "Shinn and Kira have an actual rear end conversation and Kira has to deal with the fallout of the people he accidentally killed/got killed."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fivemarks posted:

The problem has never been Hirai's designs. The problem is with Gundam SEED, SEED Destiny, and the movie and how they handle the designs.

Yep. I have 100% seen Hirai as gently caress designs in other anime and they were fine, even good. S-Cry-ed is a genuinely good looking show, and when I was stuck into Majestic Prince I barely noticed we were in Hirai-land. CE Gundam just looks bad.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well now I'm actually kind of excited to see this flaming shitshow. Great job!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darth Walrus posted:

Which demon is that?

That's the Schwarzette from WfM, except it's Neon Purple according to the tweet.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

Props to the Mikazuki for using the Katana for a few episodes with the Barbatos before deciding "nah, I like this better" and going back to bludgeoning weapons and giant claws.

"I finally figured out how to use this thing. It's not worth it, I'll just use a big club instead."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I love this take on Harry from about a month ago.

galagazombie posted:

I can’t help but think he’s Tomino playing a joke on the audience. The archetype was a set in stone series tradition by that point. Everyone would know and be expecting the requisite Char to appear. So Tomino has a character walk into frame whose design checks all the boxes, and then just nonchalantly brushes them off. Why does he wear the space visor? He’s a space man why wouldn’t he? What’s the reason for his dashing ace pilot persona? Well you see it’s because he’s an ace pilot. What’s his secret agenda? To carry out his stated agenda.

Harry Ord rules.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

The polls have been obviously manipulated from the start. If not why is Job John not dominating?

They obviously wanted an actual competition.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

I think you could do a lot of interesting things with the Zeon perspective, but that doing so basically requires you have a protagonist with some degree of awareness that the whole "war of independence" thing is a farce and knowledge (and acknowledgement) of some mix of (1) the fact Zeon were already essentially independent anyway, (2) that Zeon started the war, (3) that Zeon not only started the war, but did so by committing the most horrifying war crime in history against fellow Spacenoids and then followed it up with more war crimes and that (4) the war is at least partly a result of the greed of their own higher ups, and not just some noble cause.

A self aware Zeon perspective willing to genuinely examine the bad as well as the good could be really engaging, but basically everything either ignores it, whitewashes it entirely or at best minimizes it by placing it off to the side as something the protagonists aren't aware of, involved in or willing to confront in any depth when it is mentioned.

So, in other words, Plot to Assassinate Gihren.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shoutouts to the final four in the poll being all women.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Someone in this thread once described Unicorn as "Less than the sum of its parts", and I think they nailed it. Unicorn has a lot of great scenes, characters, concepts, ideas, themes, set pieces, and moments. But as a series of movies taken as a whole? Not as much. More's the pity.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Apprentice Dick posted:

I just want to say I understand that SEED is popular, but the character and mobile suit designs are hideous. 20 years of technical improvements since Destiny and this is what they come up with. Especially after WfM and Hathaway looked so god drat good.

I like most of SEED's suit designs, but the character designs are eh even besides Hisashi Hirai and the show in motion just does not look good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Can confirm that rear end in a top hat is in my brain and I don't want him there.

Edit: What a page snipe.