Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Everyone always talks about how Tomino hates the toys and model kits, but is there actually any proof of that? I've never seen anyone actually give a source for it.

There's a quote in the OP of the gunpla thread that makes it pretty plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man, Gundam villains sure do love their genocide.

Genocide puts the G in Gundam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I always thought one of Kycilia's entourage was ripping nasty farts 24/7 but she had other things to do than go on a fart witch hunt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

It was quite clear what was going on, it didn't make the fighting any less stupid.

Possibly the most meta post in adtrw ever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

There are many that could fit that description.

Off the top of my head do you mean the Dendrobium, The red frame with the Power Loader or Mars Jacket, Virtue, Seravee or Raphael?

Don't forget these.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

The movies fix it. They've patched that story

lol at this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

What little red warning stickers? It still looks completely white to me

Look at the Katoki Unicorn design.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

i did a google search for that and came up with nothing that looked like a unicorn with red stickers all over it. i don't remember anything being posted in the thread that was a unicorn design with lots of red stickers on it. also no one mentioned katoki before you, that post read very much to me like they were talking about the already posted images of a unicorn model. what am i missing here? i'm pretty confused right now

is this supposed to be about destroy mode?

Here's the decal sheet for it.

There are over 100 little red stickers that are supposed to go all over it. They are not easy to see unless you are right up close to it or you are looking at a fairly high-res image.

The MG ver Ka was the first Unicorn kit to come out and, because it has such simple colors, the Katoki detail addition in the redesign really stood out on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

The better question really is which Newtype has the best hair?

Haman.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Srice posted:

It'd be neat if there was a fan production to recreate the Gaia Gear radio play in English

I can't see myself having the patience to "watch" a subbed version

Go to downsub or somewhere like that and get the subs extracted, it goes a lot faster. A cursory scan indicates that there aren't many, if any, places where two subs are up at the same time so it reads linearly.

And then listen to the soundtrack in the car or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

So that is no longer available then?

Bummer

Not on youtube, anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of Lila:

Gen Urobuchi posted:

How could Director Tomino allow such a beautiful, booby character casually die?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xinder posted:

Yeah, it doesn't help that it appears to be direct sequel with almost no time in between.

It is what it appears to be.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep posting SeanBeansShako.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jesus how many times does poor Rain get sucker punched in the stomach!

Much, much more than she deserves. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Do some Zanscare characters. :unsmigghh:

Do Zeon then Zanscare.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So the second Thunderbolt OVA came out in the thread downtime, and it was pretty good. I was impressed with how they managed to compress the relevant emotional, character-based stuff into such little screentime while preserving its glorious melodramatic kick, and they've left themselves with a relatively generous amount of time to cover the remainder of the Thunderbolt Sector arc.

Anyone else given it a watch yet?

Interesting parallels with the A-V system in IBO.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ocarina of Time came out for the N64 while Wing was airing on Cartoon Network so I always imagined Link was hitching a ride with Heero when he did fast travel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Honestly, since they're already at the point where he can seemingly control a MS as an extension of his body via his prosthetics, assuming both he and the professor survive, they're less than five years away from full cyborg limbs, so it's maybe not that dire in the end, maybe? :ohdear:

If not then he'll just have to break dance in a Zaku.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xinder posted:

oh my god the moon moon arc was just as dumb as i was warned

That was terrible and I hated it. Please tell me the worst is passed.

I liked it more when the opening changed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: That said my favorite non-Tomino Gundam work is probably King Gainer
same

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TTBF posted:

Which was the one where Setsuna sends the player an e-mail with the subject "I AM GUNDAM!" and no body?

That was 3.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So wait, is her name actually Pie or Puru?

They're both transliterations so go with the one you like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is getting an English Asian release so that means there's a decent chance of it getting an actual western release at some point.

ahahahahaah

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That's exactly what happened with Gundam Extreme VS :shrug:

Seriously? Is it even legal to not allow preorder cancellations?

Gundam Extreme VS never had an NA release. Gundam Extreme VS Force will probably flop hard enough to stop another one for several years.

And Yes Asia is based in Hong Kong so your protections are different from what you get at Gamestop.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hey its really cool and good that you keep referring people to that thread and then don't link it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Watched Chars Counterattack. Never before have I seen so many GMs blowing up in such detail.

So what was the deal with that "T" psyco frame thingy? Also is Char dead for real this time or is there another movie called Char's Counter Counterattack?

It's the soul of Mr. T, pitying the fools of the Universal Century.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Never stop these.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's what the page says if you click through to the link. They're actually from the PSP Gundam VS (I didn't know there was a PSP Gundam VS).

There were two. VS and Next Plus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Tsukuda Hobby put them out and they are complicated as hell but supremely cool.

Yoshiyuki Takani did the art for a lot of the covers.

They all looked like this when you started playing, since Tsukuda Hobby based a lot of games around the same hex and chit style.

A lot of the games started off with way less units though, that one is a simulation of all the forces present at the end of the one year war, during the final battle of A Baoa Qu

Thank you for this post!

Offhand I'd imagine these play similarly to the Ghiren's Greed series, though they probably aren't as complex since tabletop games of that era expect you to do the math yourself. Not that it stopped Star Fleet Battles or Advanced Squad Leader of the same epoch from being crazy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

That is so... Weird.

I wasn't aware that something like that could happen.

You see the same five or six names posting ALL the new stuff. I think there were only one or two doing Thunderbolt, and if they were both gone or had a power outage or something, it's plausible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Parallax posted:

Isn't Thunderbolt just being streamed for pay online in Japan? Is that really something you can miss?

Well if that's the case then I don't know what the gently caress happened.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oohhboy posted:

We obviously have a different definition of "Newtype" so push off. Newtype for me is the voodoo BS they pull in Zeta, ZZ, Unicorn, CCA, last moments of MSG(It was such a small plot point I didn't care).

I didn't see the Tomino Gundams outside of Victory until late last year. Victory was so WTF I rolled with it. It put me off Gundam for quite a while from how absurd it was.

I guess that makes you a Newtype of rear end in a top hat.

So in November 2003 Fukuda gave an interview at Kyoto University, and someone asked:

quote:

Q: Are Mwu and Raww Newtypes?
A: Both are the last remaining Newtypes. They were the last Newtypes in the world so I wanted to write a story where non-Newtype people try to solve the problem.

So if you want to call them something else instead that's cool but realize you're going to have a tough time communicating with just about everyone else on this topic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

OK so I watched the second episode of Unicorn.

I'm still not sure what the gently caress they are fighting for.
I'm guessing the Laplace Box is a Gundam.
Banagher makes no sense to me. This orphan kid just happens to be able to beat three rebels up?
Are newtypes gundams or enhanced humans? Who the gently caress knows.
I'm guessing the Headmaster/Vist Foundation leader is Banagher's dad.
Why is the Audrey girl so important?

I think the rest of your questions get answered later on so I won't address them, but one that you probably should know going into a Gundam series:

Newtypes are humans. Their main gimmick is enhanced awareness, which manifests as being able to emotionally connect to other people very deeply and even at long distances, as well as the more militarily useful ability to keep track of spatial relationships, which makes them great pilots. There are some weapons that can only be used by Newtypes. Supposedly they are created naturally by the expansion of mankind's consciousness once he starts living in space and some people in the universe believe they are mankind's next evolutionary step. It is possible to artificially create Newtypes; these are called Cyber-Newtypes and almost always have severe psychological problems.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So does the Alaya-Vijnana not exist in this universe? Can I assume that Newtypes are basically natural/created AV pilots in terms of skill?

Also, thinking about it some more this would be much better as a movie which I know you guys said it is. There's been nothing other than it's Gundam to hook me in these first two episodes.

The A-V does not exist in the Universal Century universe, where Unicorn and a bunch of other shows take place. A mechanism to give certain pilots enhanced abilities appears in every Gundam universe and A-V was Iron Blooded Orphans' super pilot conceit.

EDIT: Unicorn doesn't require knowledge of the previous Universal Century shows but there are a bunch of references that you won't get if you haven't seen them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought Garma was supposed to be more of a jerk in Origins? I can't say, it's just what I've heard.

Nah, I thought Garma was still OK in Origin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

ZZ and Gundam X both have their first volumes up for pre-order.

They have the second ones up too on RightStuf's website.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress it, I'm in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAPF6NND70w

So this is kind of amazing. 0083 might be a crap story but it's music is brilliant, and this cover doubly so.

The Richie Kotzen and Andrew WK Gundam music cover albums are both legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Machine gunning the escape pods was kind of a dick move, Io.