Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Droyer posted:

Also, I said this at the end of the last thread, but if anyone has a list of which gundam shows/movies are legally available outside of Japan I'll gladly add that to the OP.

Do you want stuff that was at one point available and is out of print and only available via 3rd party sales or just the stuff that you can currently buy that is in print? I've got a list of both depending on what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Droyer posted:

Just in print is plenty I think

OK, that's easy then. You've got...

Mobile Suit Gundam TV (DVD & BD via RightStuf) - The first half of this is out now, the 2nd half will likely be out by the beginning of November
Turn A Gundam TV (DVD via RightStuf)
Turn A Gundam Films (DVD via RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (DVD via RightStuf, BD via Bandai Visual/RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Collector's Edition BD Import via RightStuf [USA]; Anime Limited [UK])
SD Gundam Sangokuden (Streaming on GundamInfo YouTube channel with SE Asian dub)

For Origin, you can also import the Standard Edition with the dub and subs through Amazon Japan or any other JP retailer with international shipping. The same goes for Unicorn, which is the same aside from Japanese cover art rather than localized art
SEED/Destiny HD and AGE also include subs on their Japanese BD releases and can also be imported through Amazon Japan or other retailers. SEED's HD Remaster is also currently available on GundamInfo's YouTube channel, albeit in standard-def.

If you want to list things scheduled for 2016 as well, you have:

Mobile Suit Gundam Films (DVD via RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
After War Gundam X (DVD via RightStuf)
Gundam Build Fighters (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
Gundam Reconguista in G (DVD & BD via RightStuf [USA], BD via Anime Limited [UK])
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans (Dub coming in 2016, DVD & BD presumably to follow)

I think that covers everything announced and currently available to buy right now.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

When is Artesia's Sorrow supposed to come out?

The BD release is late next month (Amazon Japan says November 26th on my preorder), and I think the streams will go up 2-3 weeks before that.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
So it looks like Thunderbolt is getting the Unicorn/Origin treatment and getting a sub+dub BD release in July. Based on the runtime it looks like a compilation of the 4 episodes into a movie. Nothing's been announced for outside of Japan, but with a dub on it, it can't be far off.

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCXA-1121/

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

I will laugh if they manage to get both Ramba and Murrue's English VAs on this project.

Sadly, they won't. They confirmed on Twitter that they're using the Animax Asia dub for this. So yeah, brace yourselves for that.

For anyone who hasn't experienced an Animax dub, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdfIFZYJvw - ZZ Dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLI_d8dz8DI - AGE Dub

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Thunderbolt is getting a dub. It was on the solicit for the DVD/BD release, and the Gundam Global Portal Facebook posted that they did the first session with Io's VA today.

https://www.facebook.com/gundamglobalportal/posts/1005904812778994

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Droyer posted:

Neato!

Also you're THAT OZC right? You do good work and I appreciate it.

Yep, that's me. Glad you enjoy it and thanks for saying so.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's really cool, actually, because those are pretty hard to find. I don't think there's been an English release of the Blurays yet, either?

Nope, and according to RightStuf, Sunrise opted not to release BDs overseas because they didn't think they'd sell (same with the Zeta trilogy). So the new DVDs use the HD transfer made for the Japanese BDs, but obviously at SD resolution. They're also sub-only per Sunrise because the old dub is not looked at favorably.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a way to buy Gundam blu-rays for a non insane import price? I really like Thunderbolt (as I have said repeatedly), but not to the point where I'll spend 90 bucks to get a blu-ray.

The dipping exchange rate is making the price gap shrink, and it's still stupidly expensive for something that is only an hour long, but if you don't want the extra physical stuff and just want the BD, you can import the basic edition from Amazon Japan. It's still 65 bucks for just the BD though. https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01EHI4MOK/

Not Dave posted:

Given the turn around on Build Fighters, Try, and G-Reco, I imagine that Thunderbolt will not be a long wait.

What are the Gundam series without a Blu-ray releases? I know G was announced recently, so does that leave Wing (edit: and X)? I thought 0080 had one but I can't find any info about it and it's being released in the West in DVD so I'm guessing I imagined it.

As far as mainline stuff, just X and 0080 are missing BDs now (since G's BDs are about to release, I'm not counting those). Bandai has a pretty comprehensive guide of the releases here: https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/gundamdvd/
There are plenty that haven't made it to the west, of course, but RightStuf seems to be doing their damnedest to fix that.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Looks like 0080 is getting another DVD release in the U.S. in January.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-0080-War-in-the-Pocket-DVD

I'm a little surprised there isn't a blu-ray release coming too, though this might just be the old DVD's being repackaged again.

That's almost exactly what it is since 0080 never got a remastered DVD and has yet to get an HD transfer in Japan. RightStuf says they are doing their own encoding on this one, but at the end of the day, the master is still the same one as the Japanese DVD release, and Bandai Entertainment's 0080 DVD was as close to identical to the Japanese disc as you could hope for, so it's really unlikely that there's gonna be much incentive to replace it if you have the old DVD already. Good news for anyone who wants it and doesn't have the Bandai release, though.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been watching the HD seed series, since I hadn't seen the show in 10 years maybe. For added hilarity, I am using the dub track. It's so awful. I mean, there is no one that doesn't sound horribly cast, or forcing lines to fit mouth motions. My favorite is probably lacus, who has a clearly older and more mature voice for her songs (compared to the obvious pre teen voice she normally has).

Of course I'm remembering all the glaring issues the show itself had, regardless of audio track.

To be fair, the HD remaster altered a bunch of the mouth movements to better sync to the Japanese track, which resulted in the dub not matching worth a drat at times. That's not to say the original didn't have a bunch of lines that were forced to fit too, but the remaster just made it worse.

As for the voices, you're gonna call Rau's dub voice bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

English Dub Rau was a villain in need of a far better series :allears:.

Wait, the HD remaster got dubbed? Is it the same VA for Rau? :ohdear:

No, there's a recut of the original dub out there that spliced it into place on the HD remaster encodes, but if you listen closely to it, there are spots where the music and effects make heavy jump cuts because the dub won't sync up as-is. I've slowly been recutting the episodes by restoring mouthflaps and upscaling scenes to restore the original cut, but when I say slowly, I mean, I've done 10 episodes in about 3 years.