Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Look, it's not his fault that he was too busy fighting loving space vampires to deal with all the space paperwork.

Can't blame him. Ordering a new Gundam is a really roundabout process.

Turns out that all of the super prototypes were the result of Job John trying to order replacement parts for the Gundam, except procurement just decided to build a new machine out of them. And then each time they try to deliver them, a zeon team comes to blow up the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm watching G Reco, apparently the mobile suit seats have toilets in them now.

I'd say it was assumed from the freedom's days long flight to earth in gundam seed but let's be honest. Jesus Yamato doesn't poop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's a terrible thing to have fail in combat though. "I'm okay, systems are operational...OH GOD THE SHITTER'S LEAKING INTO THE COCKPIT!"

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Chibodee Crocket has an endearing quality to it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's a terrible thing to have fail in combat though. "I'm okay, systems are operational...OH GOD THE SHITTER'S LEAKING INTO THE COCKPIT!"

The first of the earlier Zaku had a potty and they had to awkwardly throw their poop out into space in baggies.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

patrick colasour is my favorite gundam name

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've been watching the HD seed series, since I hadn't seen the show in 10 years maybe. For added hilarity, I am using the dub track. It's so awful. I mean, there is no one that doesn't sound horribly cast, or forcing lines to fit mouth motions. My favorite is probably lacus, who has a clearly older and more mature voice for her songs (compared to the obvious pre teen voice she normally has).

Of course I'm remembering all the glaring issues the show itself had, regardless of audio track.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
At least English Kira knows how to cry.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

StalkofWheat posted:

At least English Kira knows how to cry.

still one of my favorite behind the scenes gundam stories

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been watching the HD seed series, since I hadn't seen the show in 10 years maybe. For added hilarity, I am using the dub track. It's so awful. I mean, there is no one that doesn't sound horribly cast, or forcing lines to fit mouth motions. My favorite is probably lacus, who has a clearly older and more mature voice for her songs (compared to the obvious pre teen voice she normally has).

Of course I'm remembering all the glaring issues the show itself had, regardless of audio track.

To be fair, the HD remaster altered a bunch of the mouth movements to better sync to the Japanese track, which resulted in the dub not matching worth a drat at times. That's not to say the original didn't have a bunch of lines that were forced to fit too, but the remaster just made it worse.

As for the voices, you're gonna call Rau's dub voice bad?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

still one of my favorite behind the scenes gundam stories

Wait what was the behind the scenes story

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

As the story goes, the English dub team were either asked to or decided themselves (I forget which) to recreate the original Japanese audio as best as they possibly could.

However, Matt Hill couldn't quite reach Soichiro Hoshi's..."octave range" for the crying scene. So, the ADR staff came up with a solution: kick Matt Hill in the balls until he matched Hoshi.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Guy had someone kick him in the balls if I recall.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that's fantastic

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Turns out that all of the super prototypes were the result of Job John trying to order replacement parts for the Gundam, except procurement just decided to build a new machine out of them. And then each time they try to deliver them, a zeon team comes to blow up the base.

Honestly, I can almost believe that. The one year war got pretty bizarre.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ninjewtsu posted:

that's fantastic

Truly dedication to ones craft.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OZC posted:

To be fair, the HD remaster altered a bunch of the mouth movements to better sync to the Japanese track, which resulted in the dub not matching worth a drat at times. That's not to say the original didn't have a bunch of lines that were forced to fit too, but the remaster just made it worse.

As for the voices, you're gonna call Rau's dub voice bad?

English Dub Rau was a villain in need of a far better series :allears:.

Wait, the HD remaster got dubbed? Is it the same VA for Rau? :ohdear:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Winners don't click on watchmojo or whatculture videos.
Sessions S. Williams

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best description of the poor stupid Guntank

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why do people have to bully the Guntank? :smith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

Why do people have to bully the Guntank? :smith:

It's not pretty like the beautiful darling boy of the Guncannon

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The Guntank is trying it's best. Please be supportive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Years ago I saw a flash parody of the Gundam X OP but with a Guntank and I've never been able to find it since

I laughed so fuckin hard at that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Guntank would be useful in IBO and not in a war that has beam and heat weapons, making its advantage of heavy armor totally useless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

The Guntank would be useful in IBO and not in a war that has beam and heat weapons, making its advantage of heavy armor totally useless.

The Guntank is extremely immobile and IBO mecha are pretty goddamn mobile. It would be like the Gouf Custom vs Guntanks but infinitely more violent.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I used to hate the guntank until I played the federation vs zeon game and laugh my rear end off at making it fly around. It was so goofy and endearing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I don't know if they are supposed to be different models but I like the Guntank design is it appears in The Origin instead of the original design with the dog-shaped head. Even if they are totally useless, it's like the only vehicle that would be practical IRL that UC Gundam has so it has a certain charm to it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Origin is a separate/rebooted continuity from First Gundam, and as part of that, Project V didn't produce three different prototypes. Instead, the Guntank was the very first mobile weapon invented, then the Guncannon and Zaku I came about roughly at the same time in the lead up to the OYW, but the Zaku I was a vastly superior mobile suit.

Early losses to Zeon's mobile suit forces because of how outgunned the Guncannon is result in the Federation starting Project V to make their next generation mobile suit, which creates two Gundam prototypes. Test data from both units and field data from unit 2 is used to create the GM as a mass-production machine and simultaneously retrofit all Guncannons with GM parts to turn them into fire support mobile suits late in the war.

Origin late-war Guncannons are basically just GM cannons that look like Guncannons on the outside.

Also worth noting that this means Origin Kai spends most of the OYW clowning on Zaku IIs, Goufs and Doms in a pre-retrofit Guncannon that is canonically a worse piece of garbage than the Zaku I.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Of course, he is after all a Super Newtype.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love how every post-original thing that tackles Kai Shiden just makes it clear everyone loves the character and increasingly build him up. It's such a silly thing to do but damned if it doesn't seem universal.

Meanwhile Hayato gets poo poo on basically nonstop.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Kai is life. I miss my Kai avatar very much

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kai is for real my role model.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Cowardice rivals newtypism in power

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

Cowardice rivals newtypism in power

And Kai has both.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Meanwhile Hayato gets poo poo on basically nonstop.
Tell me about it, Hayato gets almost no love in the expanded works.

Sunrise could announce a new OYW spin off being told from Hayato's perspective tomorrow, and I would still expect at least 75% of the manga/novel to be the creators taking an Axis-sized dump all over Hayato.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

You fuckers better not be dissing the guntank, or his homie the guncannon.

I've been watching 00 recently. During the second season, I'm trying to remember if I was supossed to hate it for a reason. You have not-karaba trying to fight off not-Titans with the intervention of celestial being and the useless federation of liars. Plus the whole "marie!" thing with Hallellujah only lasts for 4 or 5 episodes and then it's a non-issue with the GN archer. Even Marida is cute being a kindergarten teacher instead of a princess. Also Lockon Haro is second best Haro, after Victory gundam Haro.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I've been watching 00 recently. During the second season, I'm trying to remember if I was supossed to hate it for a reason. You have not-karaba trying to fight off not-Titans with the intervention of celestial being and the useless federation of liars. Plus the whole "marie!" thing with Hallellujah only lasts for 4 or 5 episodes and then it's a non-issue with the GN archer. Even Marida is cute being a kindergarten teacher instead of a princess. Also Lockon Haro is second best Haro, after Victory gundam Haro.

It's mostly due to a general reduction in quality compared to the first season, with a big handwritten scrawl of "BE MORE GUNDAM-LIKE" all over it.

How IBO's managed to get away with an outright-good second season has to involve blackmail pictures of someone high-up at Bandai worrying a farm animal, considering their other sequel series in recent years.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Guncannon has two giant guns and is red, which is good. The Guntank is a reall big tank with arms, which is also good. Its head is dumb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ka0 posted:

In additionto what Neddy said, Setsuna kind of sucks as a protagonist.