Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
With AGE there's really no explanation that's too far-fetched, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think what you mean to say is "I loved it completely and it's perfect in every way."

*begin 4 page debate*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

boom boom boom posted:

I'll take more Beecha if it means more Elle.

I came to enjoy Beecha by the end of the series. The other non-pilot orphans? Never.

So really, Elle and Beecha are a pretty close second to Judau/Roux as the defacto power couple.

*scribbles notes into "Top Anime Ships" notebook*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsieurChoc posted:

Unless they somehow unfridge Marida, no, it's not worth watching.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just want them to fix that poo poo rear end ending.

It still angers me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I ain't even talking about peace and stuff when I talk about the ending.

I am saying the final ova to Unicorn was top to bottom the dumbest crap I've ever seen in a UC series, barring 0083.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I for one can't stand mobile armors. They're too big and janky, with way too much poo poo going on.

I also hate fun, as an aside.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kuvo posted:

I don't understand how anyone could ever hate Big Zam

I don't really count Big Zam. It's more the Dendrobium line of armors and such. Zam is a relatively simple design by comparison, so I don't treat it the same.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
vin diesel stomped his foot down really hard and the parking garage he was standing on fell apart. did it collapse due to earlier structural damage from gunfights and explosions, or from vin diesel's sheer will? fast and furious is ambiguous with stuff like that.

So yeah, actually, I never thought about it but F&F is a pretty damned good example.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lemon-Lime posted:

For the third time: it should not look like a scaled-up version of this:

There is no law of the universe that says every folding knife has to look like a stereotypical switchblade knife.

I always enjoyed that Evangelion used gigantic box cutters that vibrated as weapons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh nooooooo what even is that

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like Katejina just because she never quits. Just when you think she's reached the apex of crazy--BOOM. She takes it to the next level. It's like that episode of DBZ where they introduce SSJ3 but instead she just keeps making up new forms into infinity.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Of course you dislike Turn A. I shouldn't even be surprised at this point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More grimdark please. No funny business. Just war.

more war.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think what it comes down to is that you don't like Tomino, and while that's all well and good it makes it odd that you continue to keep trying to like gundam.

Most people have an idea of what kind of stuff they don't enjoy watching, and they make a point to avoid stuff like it. While it's admirable you keep giving Tomino a chance, I'd much rather not jump into the thread and see you go off on YET ANOTHER rant about how a show that works for almost everyone else has secretly been poo poo this whole time. Gundam is Tomino's baby, and his pros and cons have remained pretty consistent throughout the franchise. At some point you just need to cut your losses and stop trying to like his work. It doesn't seem to be doing anything for you.

Now pardon me, I'm going to go post in the KyoAni thread for the 2000th time and explain to them how the studio is actually poo poo and ruining anime.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

dogsicle posted:

i think there's also a bit of Char being lovely involved too. they made it seem like there was something between the two of them

It made a tiny amount of sense, and underneath all the "woman this woman that" crap that was spouted, at the end of it all Reccoa didn't feel appreciated in AEUG. Most of that, from what I gather, came after Quattro rejected her advances. Scirocco was a guy who would also send her off on dangerous missions like AEUG, but would appreciate her more? guess she felt the cause left her behind at some point?

Now, the question becomes: where did she feel this abandonment occurred, and was it really just about Quattro?:iiam:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Counterpoint: Judau is the king of the universe.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I missed the post-depression bit. My bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only value in Katz was that his death provided one of the series gut punches in ZZ, when Hayato is shown his room well after his death. I'm like "Oooooh yeah!" and then "oooooooh. Yeah....." and then I'm like "loving Katz ruins everything, the rear end in a top hat" as Hayato cries.:smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanos posted:

Hayato is like a normal guy with normal abilities thrown into a bunch of exceptionally talented individuals and forced to try to keep up with them. The fact that he both adopted Katz out of a sense of responsibility and continued fighting to help people and for good causes despite surviving the loving One Year War instead of loving off somewhere speaks volumes about how good of a person he is. One of the very few things I hated about the Origin was how it played up Hayato being a pathetic little nobody who has a tiny penis and obviously can't measure up to Amuro's titanic newtype girth so please don't steal Fraw!!!! :qq: Hayato's a good person, god damnit, even if he's not a super talented newtype ace.

Unfortunately, just being a good person doesn't necessarily mean you'll win in the end. :smith:

It's weird, because I liked that bit in The Origin. Yeah, it's kinda whiny, but at the same time he's no Sleggar Law. He hates having to say anything to a friend, but at the same time he recognizes how dangerous and toxic Amuro's become since the war started. All he wants is for Amuro to let Fraw go now, before she gets dragged along into the darker poo poo. I really do hate that Sayla's VA couldn't show up later in the franchise significantly. She is most definitely someone that could hang with Amuro in some of the crazier stuff that happens to him later. Fraw? God, the poor girl would have been an alcoholic before her twenties.

Sometimes I like to pretend Hayato didn't die.:unsmith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Baal posted:

I haven't heard Blum do a voice for a dub in forever.

Watch Regular Show and enjoy the vocal talents of Blum, Mark Hamil, and the dad from that 70s show.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finished Thunderbolt. Crazy little mini-series. Io was an rear end in a top hat but also respectable in that he knew the score as soon as he jumped in a mobile suit. At least it seemed that way.

Daryl was pitiable, because :lol: at sacrificing your limbs for Zeon. Felt bad for Dr. Karla and the Captain. Not a fan of their use in this. For that matter, was the captain shot or the window behind her shot? I never got a good look.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh. Nifty!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Char did nothing wrong."

-what 99% of the Japanese think. Tomino is the 1%.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So yeah. My bad about that probation. Somewhere between point A and point B what was supposed to be a joke turned into...poo poo, I dunno.

ANYWHO, I think it's time I finally take the plunge on Gundam SEED. Not really looking forward to it, but it's pretty much all I got left.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To be fair, I'm avoiding Destiny. And also I watched all of AGE. I should be fine? Maybe?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Srice posted:

Completionism for its own sake is bad!!!

And I agree, which is why my current plan is to watch SEED but avoid Destiny.

The issue that comes up is that for some weird rear end broken-brain reason, I watched AGE from start to finish. Waited weekly for each episode, in fact, when it was clear it was bad and getting worse. I have seen one of the worst, so just saying "SEED is bad so I won't watch it" just doesn't feel right to me. Now....if I watch Destiny afterwards? Leave me to die, as something has clearly gone wrong with my brain.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Motto posted:

Bear witness to the driving tradition of the middle ages!
https://twitter.com/HistoryImg/status/735402708052541440

This brought the biggest, dumbest smile to my face today.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Her death really ruins the whole ride for me. I would have enjoyed the anime adaptation a ton more if they changed that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Unicorn sucks because it is Gundam 101. And Gundam 101 was fine in its first couple of run throughs. But it's 2016 and we still have to have ladies be crazy cyber newtypes who die for their man. We still have to force a new Char, despite the fact that the best ones in the franchise are Char or someone who appears to be Char but is actually 1000000 times more fabulous than Char. Unicorn's problems are the problems of the franchise, and I think it bothers me because there was plenty of room for the movies to do something different.

P.S. I hate psycommu

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GulagDolls posted:

i am Gundam.

Well I'm GM

EDIT: GM Sniper:getin:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Banagher is potential. Which is a fancy way of saying "maybe you'll be worth talking about someday, crystal kid."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All the arguments about Unicorn got me thinking: What is the unanimous best gundam show, and why is it G-Savior?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
These are all very interesting ways to say G-Savior, yessiree bob.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Droyer posted:

G-savior isn't even a show!

If you believe in it, that is all that matters. The heart of space has spoken~

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AradoBalanga posted:

I would gladly pay serious money to see Kai trolling the gently caress out of Char.

We are not worthy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's my fun mecha design tidbit: G-Reco's Grimoire is the best thing ever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ZZ starts light and stays that way for a while. Then the Universal Century readjusts itself, sets its sights on Judau Ashta, and tries to gently caress over his life too.

But Judau doesn't get pushed around too easily.:getin:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Walrus posted:

To be honest, though, it kind of does its job. ZZ can best be summarised as a bunch of happy-go-lucky kids very gradually realising that they live in the Universal Century, and it ain't getting better.

Oh I totally agree! But what sets the ZZ crew apart from everyone else is that, as far as I can remember, they walk away from the war in better shape than just about every other crew that came before them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm like the only person who likes Chronicle.

I liked him for the first half of the show, and then the plot got moving along and I just grew tired of him.