Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was it s1, s2, or both which continually had episodes end on suspenseful cliffhangers and then resolved them before the opening credits in the flattest way possible? I remember that being an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

how should i order my stacks in gihrens greed: moa V

do I put aces in the front and hope they lower damage with their evasion or do i put them in the back.

In front so they get in on the melee. Great game, shame they removed the cutscenes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Even then, it was unknown how the Federation would come down, so Degwin was hoping Revil would go "this war is awful, Degwin Zabi can be a reasonable man, let's just put an end to this bloodshed." and provide a strong shove towards a conditional surrender. Revil, meanwhile, was paying close attention to all the little details his host didn't want him to see, and noticed that Loum was Zeon's one big push. And thus, Antarctica.

Revil noting Zeon was exhausted followed by them promptly occupying most of the Earth must have gotten him some funny looks.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

In the Gihren's Greed games some of the indecisive one year war endings have him being busted out of house arrest by Delaz and Gato, escaping to Axis.

I hate to see Degwin get too much credit. The man endorsed the plans that killed half of everyone and only wanted out when his favorite died.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That civil war amv got me to rewatch Zeta for the first time in a decade, this time with the dub. It's not as good, but I do love little things like the extremely Canadian Titan rando in episode 5.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Frankly Canadians are not the last people I would expect to fall into space fascism. I always suspected there was an incredibly suppressed rage under the veneer of politeness they put up, and one day the world may be all the worse because of it.

Operation Stardust devastated back bacon supplies, we were easy to persuade, there had to be a reckoning.

Also who the gently caress is this?

Why is there a random jogger in full track meet getup on the Argama with barely any gravity? Someone win a contest to be in the episode?

I'm in love all over again with this show.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Zeta Episode 24 where Blex is assassinated and asks for Char to take over being called Counterattack. :kiss: That's just perfect. And an English exclusive, too!

*Edit*

Also, exposing Katz' naivete notwithstanding, What did Sarah's fake defection accomplish? She entered under a white flag, they'd have let her leave. She didn't steal a new AEUG suit, she fled in her HiZak. The information about the blind spot could have been shared along with the colony drop notification, so what was the point?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 17, 2021

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Finished my rewatch of Zeta, still holds up fairly well but the final battles could have used a touch more build up, especially with three different factions taking part. Also the breadth of beautiful Canadian accents made me deeply homesick.

One thing that is funny is how Quattro never called anything more than a lieutenant for the entire show and despite being pressed repeatedly to take over is first referred to as AEUG's leader in the ZZ recap.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Thinking about it, the story just in Zeta the animation seems to portray the AEUG as two big ships & crew with friends in high places up until the final engagements. Karaba's the same but with one ship and stuck on Earth.

Considering the pig the Titans made of Dakar, does any side material say anything like elements of the EFSF joined with the AEUG after to explain their sudden swelling of forces?

I dunno, great show but the back fifth needed to take a breath.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Watching ZZ for the first time and yeah, the it's a hell of a lurch, but the first ten episodes have some very well executed comedic moments. It's a real credit to the direction how well the writing, foley, voice, and animation come together on some of the punchlines.

Also, goddamn, from where Glemmy's introduced to what his legacy ends up being, that dude's gotta be one of the most sharply recontextualized characters in the franchise. Should be very interesting to see the rest of this.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Slowly working through ZZ and finished the Dublin arc and it's a real mood swing show. When it leans into the history and shows long Bright and Hayato have been fighting and the toll it's taken on them it's drat good but then you get right back to the Ple creep show and ugh. I don't know what the real reasons were for not releasing the show in the west but it's more understandable than I'd thought before I started it.

Also, these episode previews are like, LOTGH bad in terms of giving things away. Show Sayla? OK, that's intriguing. Show Sayla and Lena in a wheelchair together? C'mon, eh.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Zarikov posted:

I just finished ZZ and I've been chewing on it for a while. I genuinely have a hard time rating the series due to it being so dramatically up and down... but it was worthy of a watch and has a lot of nice pieces. I really enjoy the sense of "all the adults are dead, but hey we still have a bunch of warships and mobile suits sitting around and gee I hope somebody doesn't upset the peace". The earth arc definitely dragged but things felt fun and things were moving while the party is in space... Moon Moon is cool and I love that it gets followed up on.

In the end all that matters is that Chara Soon rules and her Japanese voice is sultry as hell and yeah, why not have a new form of newtype... horny!

It is just the most inconsistent show in every way. Even just talking about the first half of my current episode, 40, the animation swings from gorgeous to shite and back again, and as for the story beats, you know,

'Why the gently caress is Haman sneaking aboard the Argama? The Federation's given up, she's queen poo poo of humanity, why is she bothering?!' simultaneous with "Ahaha, she's using the hair from MSG's Haman, that's great."

And 'more stupid kids doing stupid bullshit at this stage of the game!' with 'Haha, this like that How Far We've Come quest from Throne of Bhaal.

It's a rollercoaster.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Second to last ZZ Episode:

:bahgawd: Bah gawd, that's AEUG Bright's music!

Toshifumi Kawase directed that moment perfectly.

I wonder if they wrote out Bright for a spell just so Beecha wouldn't go down as the most useless person in the history of the franchise.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I miss toonami, I miss the old MAHQ, I miss Gouf, I miss the old /m/. Everything used to be so much better. Everyone believed all the fake translations and the subs were piss yellow and terrible.

It was perfect

There there, it's not all gone. People still think the Earth Federation surrendered to Haman and the wiki claims the Antarctic Treaty was void after the one year war despite ZZ repeatedly referring to it.

Speaking of, were small portions of ZZ touched up for later DVD releases or was the animation just that uneven?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You know, for that hot minute between plonking Dublin and putting on that wig, was Haman the most powerful individual ever in the UC?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Argas posted:

The four years between 0083 and 0087 were not kind to Bask Om.

The years had nothing to work with.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hey Jobbo, you think you'll do the MSG or Zeta movies after Char's Counterattack or are you jumping to F-91?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

You can always save Emma in Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam

Besides Threat of Axis are there any where you can save Blex? In hindsight he was the last one who could have turned things around for the Earth Federation.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Awwww what a nice ending.

Wow, you went fast to the end there.

I mentioned this a bit when I watched the show but it's hilarious how Haman more than anyone else in the U.C. became the uncontested tyrant of Earth and it's space... for five minutes, then put on a funny reference and threw it all away. It's one of those things the actual show doesn't directly state, like Quattro actually being the leader of AEUG after Blex.

Seriously, all open and organised resistance had stopped. Gihren's war killed half of everyone and that didn't get him nearly as close to what she had. It's been a while since I saw Victory and I've never seen G-Savior but I don't think their antagonists had as total a victory as her.

The Zabi's wanted it, Jamitov wanted it, the Crossboners & Zanscare both wanted it to some extent, but only Haman actually had it (I suspect Char would have hosed off again if he'd managed to plonk Axis).

Anyway, looking forward to the one screenshot you choose for Char's Counterattack. You'll be spoiled for choice.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Seemlar posted:

Cyber Newtype is specifically a Tomino mandated translation from the (iirc) early 2000's when UC terminology and name translations got standardized which is why it's universally used instead of Enhanced Human despite not really being a great way to say it

That's interesting, did he also mandate that United Nations start being translated as Earth Federation? That's about when the Gihren's Greed series switched those names.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You should play Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Unless Blex survives I still don't see the Earth Federation getting better.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Though he may be a terrible husband, Bright Noa is a great commander and just barely squeaked out a win agains Sayla Mass!

Aww c'mon, he kept that would-be homewrecker at bay in ZZ. I think. It's been a while since I saw it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

People say Blex dying was the shot that killed the Federation but IMO that was definitely Revil. Revil being killed by the Solar Ray is the death blow to the Federation's guiding leader who actually held the politicians to account and who was the only one who could make reforms.

It would have been easier with Revil, the Federation became so reliant on him that even after his "Zeon is exhausted" speech was followed by Zeon landing and occupying much/most of Earth he was never questioned. Him surviving and throwing himself into reforms would have made them happen despite internal reluctance.

There was still hope with Blex. Him surviving the Gryps conflict and if necessary the First Neo Zeon wars meant he survived all active opposition, could provide clear direction, and prevented Quattro from giving up.

It would have been messier, but Blex could have done it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

It's truly, truly one of the games worst campaigns. Because you're also just often stuck waiting around for the Zeta plot to happen. I think part of it thought is that Threat of Axis V doesn't really like... adapt the events of Sentinel and other MSV's in the time frame.

Just look at this mess.

On the other hand, it and the OYW factions have been translated.

Onmi posted:

I mean there is a reason it's the Gryps "Conflict" rather than War, it really is more of a civil dispute until Haman arrives.

I can't how imagine hectic it must have been to be concluding on one 50 episode series while setting up another to begin immediately afterwards, so I can't be too critical, but the wider conflict after Jamitov's death is a real blur, and slowing for an episode (maybe establishing why the Titans or even just Jerid were bothering to follow Scirocco's vision and clarifying that Quattro was CiC for the entire AEUG) would have been useful. Also show Kamille's newtype awareness of all the deaths wearing on him more and more so the mental break at the end is set up better.

Ah well, no third chances.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 5, 2024

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Oh, I'm quite aware I did a narrative playthrough elsewhere of the Revil federation campaign, around... 200,000 words all around? It was a lot of fun, I've tossed around editing it from its current prose into long-form fanfiction but eh.

Oh? Where was this? Did you save Cima?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Yes, I did the Cima event. It was on /m/. /m/ Has for the past... long while actually I don't recall how long it's been going, had a concurrent "/m/ plays Gihren's Greed" campaign run by different game masters. It was started by X, then Copy X took over, I did a filler campaign while Copy X was away. Right now the current campaign is a hybrid /m/sv and [BRIGHT] campaign which has been going on for what feels like years now... and also is loving bonkers.

Well, this all inspired me to finally give a Blex campaign go in English for the first time. I just barely got the Zeta to the Argama in time (don't rush Jaburo!), and Char just gave his Dakar speech. I've gotta ask, though: who the hell is Manity?

Until we pulled Cowan out of Torrington prison got alignment over 900 her and Blex were the only two keeping the lights on at AEUG and I don't remember her at all from watching Zeta.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

She is in like exactly one or two scenes. Not episodes, scenes. Manity Mandana. They were desperate for AEUG characters so loving Mezun Max is in the game Mezun Max is the Karate Captain from the first episode who punched Kamille when he went to go ditch practice.

For the run I did she wound up marrying Hayato since Fraw's path greatly diverged from his when she got made a pilot of one of the Proto Gundams and mentored under Yazan in the North America theatre... God that run was so much fun, I wish I'd learned how to do a lot of the things I did at the end of the campaign by the time I did the start of it.

Interesting, thank you.

Good question, Blex. The conflicts now less about souls weighed down by gravity and more killing machines shoved forward by inertia, I suppose.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nuebot posted:

It fascinates me. How many of those games have translations? I assume not many, if any at all, because of the sheer amount of text and extremely niche audience.

About half of one, sadly. I got interested years back when I read if you chose to send the Doms to Ramba Ral he'd capture the White Base.

It's here.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Increased spending on man-bun technology

Well, Kamille just stuck a fork in him and kept his own sanity in the process, which is nice but all hell broke loose the moment that bun was cooked. Not only does Axis just get gifted a bit more territory (which is typical for this game), but they immediately started pushing everywhere, including right onto my capital in Granada.

I am hugging the final supply point in multiple sectors desperately trying to hold out until reinforcements are rushed from the east, meanwhile better tech than me is flying all over the maps. Only occasionally can I just pick off a unit that's out of position without taking disproportionate casualties.

It's harrowing, and honestly? This is what the early Revil campaign should have been.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

God... looking over this stuff just makes me wish we had another game and it was more expansive and it'll never happen. I'd love for them to reintroduce old mechanics like Fleets and loyalty.

Has Axis V's Japanese text been dumped/categorized?

Considering the technical hurdles the translator has had to bend around to get English text on the screen it sounds like it would be faster (to someone with the knowhow) to just remake the game on PC with the names filed off and have a 'mod' that puts the franchise material in. Have inserting text (and cutscenes, and even music) be natively supported.

Anyway,

Quattro's back too! :toot: The gang's all here and finally controllable.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

No, because the way the structure of the text is, is stored in a very weird way, like I genuinely don't understand the file structure of Axis V, there seems to be legitimately some very proprietary system used to make the games. Even japanese hackers really like "Yeah we have like very little idea how the gently caress this is actually all 'made'

Hmm. I bet the text is all in some printed guide, like the magazine/dvd bundle with BOZ's cutscenes and a transcription. Now buried deep in some book-off in some Book-Off in Kanagawa, if anywhere.

Also, aww.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

They were niche enough that they don't even make them for Japanese audiences anymore, which is why everyone talking about it talks about a PSP game that released in 2008.

It's a power fantasy in the best way a video game can be. Save Garma, save Ral, keep the Federation from crumbling, properly avenge Deikun, get Char and Judau into Haman's court, help Édouard plonk Axis in three different eras using three different aliases, or, my personal favourite, keep faith with Cima and stop Stardust cold with her help.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Can you make Char and Amuro get married tho

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Oh btw, someone asked in Threat of Axis V had a text dump, technically yes. it's all pngs.

Hah! What, one for every character that gets added to the frame? This I gotta see.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Begemot posted:

I love the Zeta dub, though partly for nostalgia reasons. As mentioned in an earlier post on this page, it's the B-team, but I think they did a great job. Kamille especially captures the energy of an angry teen getting his poo poo together perfectly.

I loved the dub cast for the new roles, especially the very Canadian Titan grunts. Just a shame they recast the returning characters, Michael Kopsa was perfect.

I suppose I should just be grateful that they were all around for CCA.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

But Michael Kopsa was Char, and Char isn't in Zeta...

He popped up for a right pretty speech but you're mostly right.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Finally reading Origin. There's a lot to love but my favourite character tweak has to be Bright's constant nervous energy.

Being quietly giddy as he waits to ambush Char is :kiss: just a great beat.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arbite posted:

Finally reading Origin. There's a lot to love but my favourite character tweak has to be Bright's constant nervous energy.

Being quietly giddy as he waits to ambush Char is :kiss: just a great beat.

Goddammit, Operation Odessa with the lyrics to Ai Senshi in the narration actually got me tearing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Brad Swaile you will always be one of the goats

Too true. Must be some story as to why he played Setsuna instead of Ribbons, though.