Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Namtab posted:

What's everyone's fave gundam (show) and gundam (big robot)

I'm gonna say 00 season 1 and Wing gundam.

G Gundam, because:

Kanos posted:

Favorite show is a tough one for me. As a self-contained product, it's probably G; for such a campy, silly show the main story has a lot of heart and introspection in it and the entire cast is wonderful. It's also incredible in the context of a franchise all about how war is poo poo that G Gundam, the silly show about super robot Gundam fighting, is the one that has a final battle that is only resolved when the protagonist opts *not* to fight and instead to share his feelings openly for the first time in his life.

Favorite suit is Gundam Spiegel because ninjas are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

The GM Underground Combat Type is a GM Cold Climate but with drills for hands and a new headlamp. Incredible.

Tengan Toppa GM Lagann :getin:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Reds posted:

I'd rather have 0080's good story than better action scenes anyway. 0080 is the only of the three UC OVAs that doesn't have a plot that falls apart. 0083 with its director switch, and 08th MS Team with its ridiculous and incredibly poorly written Romeo and Juliet plot

08th MS Team also had to get a new director about halfway through, though in that case it was because the original director died.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Srice posted:

I'm not convinced that ZZ was an attempt to "troll" anything, since it's quite in line with a lot of Tomino's comedies from that era.

I dunno, I still feel like the ZZ Gundam itself was definitely an attempt to troll the engineers at Bandai who had to try and come up with workable model kits for it.

I also remember in one of the earlier episodes, Beecha (yes, yes, I know, gently caress Beecha) complains about how some of the supplies they're taking on board are just useless junk, and the boxes he's indicating have the Bandai logo on them.

I get the impression that Tomino's never been shy about biting the hand that feeds him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I watched 0083 years before Zeta, but never finished it because it was so goddamn stupid.

And I'm not exactly known for having discerning taste in media.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

By series:

MSG: prototype.
Zeta: next-gen mass production model (Gundam Mk. II), then cutting edge ace custom (Zeta Gundam).
ZZ: prototype.
CCA: cutting edge ace custom.
0080: prototype.
0083: prototypes.
F91: prototype.
Victory: prototype.
G Gundam: "Gundam" is basically the generic term for mobile suit.
08th MS Team: limited stop-gap production run making use of leftover excess spare parts for the original Gundam prototype.
Wing: one-off custom suits developed from a single prototype.
Gundam X: one of the few remaining pre-war mass-production mobile suits.
Turn-A: powerful artefact from the distant past.
SEED: prototype.
00: super robots.
Unicorn: prototype.
G-Reco: prototypes.
IBO: powerful artefact from the (much less distant) past.

GBF: model kits

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TNG posted:

"What? You mean that we gassed all those people with poison? I thought we were going to just knock them out , remove them somehow, and then use the colony to commit a war crime on Earth! You tricked me Zeon high command!"

"Well, if you're gonna take that kind of attitude about it, we're just gonna pin the whole thing on you and your unit and wash our hands of it." :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Her backstory isn't that stupid - it's not inconceivable for grunts who are told "carry this container here and plug it in to the air circulation system" to not understand what the brand new nerve gas is going to do (namely kill absolutely everyone inside the colony cylinder). Even if they did understand that it was nerve gas, it's not like the scope is easy to grasp.

No, it wasn't a misunderstanding on the part of her unit; Zeon high command explicitly lied to them and told them they were using sleeping gas to knock out the civilians so they could relocate them and then use the empty colony for the colony drop.

And then Cima's group carried out their orders and were horrified to discover, nope! Nerve gas! Gonna drop a colony full of dead bodies on the earth!

0083 is the worst.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hi-Mock is the best Zaku.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

You forgot the Hi-Mock.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Technically, you have to score five kills to qualify as an ace. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dogsicle posted:

that was so weird and totally divorced from reality

tominoanime.txt(?)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Out of the EW redesigns, I like Deathscythe and Heavyarms the best, and am neutral on the other three.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bimmi posted:

I always assumed ZZ's tonal whiplash was due to Tomino's brain problems, his desire to kill the monster he'd created, or both.

Nah, that was Victory.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

"Wufei, you'd better throw that thing before you get shot!"

"Not the gun, you dumba-" *BOOM*

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Someone please explain to me how the everloving gently caress Kou Uraki of all people placed higher than Treize Kushrenada on the "most fashionable" list. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

Nothing at all, I loved each character but can't even recall the overall plot. I just remember for some reason most people list it as one of the worst Also, no one compares the characters in it vs other series. Is it because they're comparing people within the same timeline and there isn't anything else in wing?

Yeah, Wing's plot was kind of all over the goddamn place.

Treize's motives were... complex.