Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess 2 cour Gundam shows will be the norm going forward? I wonder if thia means we'll end up will more Gundam shows coming out overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The beginning does not have Peak Rau, so it cannot be the best part.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also give us Vagans who don't engage in bombing civilian centres and murdering children.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

What happened to the announced OVAs that were supposed to follow up GBF and GBFTry?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dozle looks so proud in that picture.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Going to watch Turn A, but skipping the full series for the compilation movies as I suspect I am not going to like the show.

Please don't do this, regardless of your opinions on G-Reco.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, well G Gundam actually has a satisfying conclusion.

Getter Robo Armageddon got its plot completely derailed after episode 3 (when he left), Shin Mazinger ends with a giant dickpunch of a cliffhanger, and Giant Robo was apparently supposed to be continued but plans fell through or something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Xinder posted:

The worst part of this is that I'm starting to like Bright less. His character seems to be weakened from "hardass who isn't afraid to smack a bitch to get things done" to a complete pushover. He lets Judau get away with so much that Amuro or Kamille would have gotten a "correction" across the face for.

I think it's pretty neat to see that he has actively gotten burned out and stopped giving any fucks

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

For a coordinator black-ops team, they sure were poo poo at their jobs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So uh, apparently they're turning Gundam Unicorn into a TV broadcast by editing the OAVs down to episode-length snippets under the name Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096. A new OP and ED and narration by Full Frontal.

In a (probably) unrelated note there is a new Gundam Unicorn novel coming out too.

In totally unrelated news I think I'll go have a nice cold glass of milk.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some notably good gundam grunt fights

Does GM Sniper Custom vs Kampfer Amazing count?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SEED gave us the Rau rant and therefore can never be entirely bad.

Just like Destiny gave us Impulse vs Freedom and AGE gave us... um... Super Pilot, I guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

... I like Strike vs Aegis.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

What is the most accessible/least silly/prettiest animated series of Gundam?

I can parse the other 2 but why on earth would anyone want not-silly Gundam???

Anyway, watch Build Fighters. The first series, not the sequel.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Revitalized posted:

Was Gundam Build Fighters well received?

I just started watching it and I really like it. It makes me very self conscious about how big of a nerd I am.

It is a very good and fun show.

Please let us know your feelings after watching the episode 6 fight. You'll know it when you see it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, I didn't say there weren't any good fights in BFT :v:. Really though, the only good ones are The Race with Mirai, Try-On 3, Crossbone Gundam vs the entire Gunpla Academy, and maybe the section of the finale battle involving everyone who wasn't Sekai and Wilfred jacking off at eachother about how great they are. I think I might be missing one though.

The free for all at the tail end was also good nice fun.

Really almost all the episodes that have nothing to do with the tournament are fun to watch. It's the tournaments themselves that were just so rote and boring to sit through.

Also Minato Sakai is the best.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Let me know when Frozen Teardrop gets an anime series.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I guess it depends on what you define as insane? He's a completely amoral jerkwad but he approaches all his goals in a relatively logical way. The real problem would be his nihilistic and despairing outlook on life and humanity which is the starting point for all of his other goals and actions.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I found that one of the more believable aspects of the fight, personally. Shiro was moving, couldn't brace himself or aim properly or even stabilize his view on his enemy, and frankly that's not a recipe for hitting anything

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

We can just call him burger.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Neo Zeong is entirely an anime invention because they needed a Final Boss, right?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Anyways I was told that instead of an OVA, BF Try is getting another season? I have no idea if that's true or not but if it is then man. Maaaaaaan.

... Maybe it'll be good.

Maybe.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sooper Gila posted:

Hey thread!

I've been wanting to get into Gundam since the late 90's or so and timing just never worked out. There's a gundam fair at takashimaya here in Singapore right now, I needed to get some tools for bandai star wars models and decided I should check out some goon recommendations on the shows. I've had people recommend two different series to me over the years as being the gundam that would fit me best (my favorite anime of the last decade has been gatchaman crowds/insight and space dandy) but I can't remember what they were now...

Per the OP's advice I started on Turn A and after the second episode realized it's something my wife would really enjoy too and so want to wait until her TV backlog clears up and we can watch it together. It's not at all what I had expected Gundam to be like, that's not a criticism by any means, in fact I like that about it quite a bit.

So after reading up more I ended up starting Gundam Seed. I'm two episodes in and really this is exactly what I sort of thought Gundam would be. Very flashy, lot of action, space opera etc. I'm a fan of Macross and this seems to have similar sensibilities. I'm digging it.

What's strange though is in a lot of the recommendations I've seen for new viewers here and elsewhere, it doesn't make the lists, while just from my experience it seems like a good starting place. Am I missing something from not having seen previous series? Is Seed not well thought of by long term Gundam fans? Does it get terrible later on?

As others have said, SEED has both its good and bad points and you'll probably get a fair shake at what most people think of when they hear 'Gundam' by watching that series.

That said, are you watching the original version or the HD remaster? The HD remaster has some changes that a lot of people think made the show worse to watch.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I mean, just give us a few decent fights like the one in Episode 9, the Tryon 3 fight, or the Fumina/Yuuma half of the final battle.

I'll be fine with that, although I'd like them to be goofballs more really.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I really liked the modified worker bots.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

And then turned Marina young again and married her, abandoning his old, faithful waifu to become a flowerbed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well

at this point

why not.

edit: Hey maybe they'll actually get a chance to use some of the OST they made for Try.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 13, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That would be Fenice vs Star Build Strike, right?

Yeah, one of the series' high water marks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Relena being #1 female makes me unreasonably happy.

I guess Japan likes insane people who take no guff from anyone.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They have at least 3 child soldiers with severe relational and emotional issues in the 'Best boyfriend' category.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Here's mine:

95% of everything I know about mecha anime (Gundam included) comes from SRW.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, for instance, SRW usually caps Fa's Newtype level at 4 or 5, just enough to use some of the bigger Newtype dependent weapons in the games. Other Newtypes like Amuro and Kamille almost always cap out at level 8, by comparison.

I wouldn't put too much stock in SRW rankings. This is the series that has never given Ciela Lapana a single level in Aura Power ever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Who is Naze Turbine and why is he bad?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Can we say it rings hollow because the response to Mineva's speech includes a bunch of Zeon nutters who try to blow up Antarctica immediately after?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No. Judging stories based off random side material written by other people is crappy.

I'm not really judging Unicorn for that so much as I'm criticizing commenting on the Gundam franchise's chronic inability to stop undermining any messages they're trying to give out.

ImpAtom posted:

It's still dumb because Unicorn never says all war will end forever. It, in fact, specifically brings up the idea that whatever may come is incredibly far in the distant future and may never come at all.

No, it really isn't. It's a turning point in UC and that isn't incorrect. The post-CCA timeline is a fairly different world even if war continues.

Eh... If the post-CCA world was going to be a different setting than the OYW-era UC, I'd have thought that the Axis Shock would have been a better catalyst (assuming we even one to pin it down to one event) than Laplace's Box.

Of course the show itself points out that people refused to change after CCA (although it comes from noted nihilist Frontal), but if that's the case, what about the Box's opening would have galvanized real change instead? As an event it's far less spectacular or meaningful than the Axis Shock to the populace at large.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe they'll give Sekai a personality.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The final episode was just a bunch of nerds having fun with each other and it was good.

More episodes like that, please.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Legitimately disappointed there isn't a compilation of Kira's best crying moments on youtube.

Anyone who tried that probably ended up trying to chew their own ears off despite that not being physically possible.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Just as a heads up, if you're expecting this to be anything other than an extended episode of GBFTry, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Don't tell me you didn't find Sekai becoming Captain Planet and generating a Stand to be hilarious.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 21, 2016