Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
My hope for IBO is that the dub ends up on adult swim and some kid and their nerdy parent watch it together and have fun watching robots fight and pilots interacting because that's how I got into gundam. My dad was a Robotech fan and I got swept up with it and we would just watch Wing together and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

quote not edit

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Don't have a link since I'm on my phone but Extreme Vs Force is coming to America and maybe Europe.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Am I remembering right that the director of 08th MS passed away in the middle of production or was that some random nonsense, because if so it would explain the dip in quality.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Honestly, the thing that started killing my interest in BFT was how much they scaled back and de-escalated everything into a safe, generic sports show. It's hard to take any kind of stakes seriously when the previous series slowly escalated to "Tiny Gundams save the world."

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dont forget going on about how big and amazing the National tournament was. And the punchline of capping the series with "Hurray, we made it to the World Cu*INDETERMINED PERIOD OF TIME LATER*".

Like honestly it's not even that either. There are ways to make that work, you just have to make it more personal and make it mean more to each of the characters. Raise the individual stakes to something higher than I want to go to the world cup/Fulfill my grudge/punch things.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Nothing really felt important in Try. The framing device of "Win the Nationals to go to the World Title offscreen" didn't help things either. Like you can have the nationals feel as important if you frame it right. Make it Fumina's last stand to get a real title, either win now and use it to make Gunpla Battles a career in Japan atleast, or fade away and lose her dream. Yuuma is already a champion builder, make him chase it to cement his mastery of all aspects of gunpla. Keep Sekai as the shonen hero who wants his friends to meet their dreams I don't know. Just make it feel important even if it isn't as big as last series.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sudden Out Of Character Physical Violence is just as lowbrow as a groin shot.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

oohhboy posted:

If nothing else it would have been different. Loren doesn't want to fight but is repeatedly pushed into it. He had the choice to walk away and didn't. It could have been a setup for a long form joke, something above a groin shot. It wouldn't be out of character for Loren to deck the guy after repeatedly being pushed. There is a build up, you feel for Loren as he gets harassed, each time he walks away it's a small joke in itself as Gavan would debase himself with his reaction from his misplace ideas of fighting, ending with catharsis as Gavan finally gets the message.

quote:

Better jokes please.

Hey let's go for a two for one. Gavan does his puffing up. Loran ignores him and go and has an important conversation about current events. We hear Gavan going on in the background and everytime Loran responds to the convo he's actually having we slide the camera over to Gavan who thinks the response is for him and continues. Eventually Gavan thinks Loran has agreed just as Loran ends his important conversation, and Gavan rushes him as Loran turns around, the resulting impact stuns Loran while taking out Gavan, something like an accidental knee to the groin or Loran's forehead bonking and busting his nose. After that have Gavan treat it like he really had been defeated in a duel and have Loran be adorably clueless.

See, my version kept the same beats as yours, but somewhat still fits the series tone and has the chance of advancing the plot. Plus it shows how foolish the dude is and how misplaced his ideals are without your terrible idea of character development.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

You know I thought this thread was getting too peaceful and was wondering what was missing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

There are a number of hints in Zeta that Scirocco used Newtype brainwashing on Reccoa. There's that little flash of light when he touches her, and in the episode 'The Call of Darkness', she behaves like she's trying to fight a psychic compulsion - her hitting on Char becomes an attempt to get someone, anyone, to distract her from Scirocco taking over her mind. There's actually a nice little bit of tragic irony there, as the man she believes to be her only hope to escape a cold-hearted manipulator of women is someone who we already know is exactly that.

Also, ooohboy, you always seem to come into conversations being super aggressive and confrontational. What's up with that? It's weird.

Not to mention even without newtype abilities, Reccoa was a person whose insecurity was zeroed in on by a person with an incredible amount of emotional and material power. Scirocco took his presence, his charisma, and his shows of power and took the Jaws of Life to her, opening her up emotionally to let him step right in. She didn't even have a chance.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Quess and Hathaway are there to represent that Char and Amuro are falling into the pattern they've been trying to fight: Pulling the new generation into the hosed up fights the older ones can't let go. It develops the two's fight into more than just two dickheads slapping each other. It's now affecting the people around them, whenever they want it to or not. Chan is there because Amuro needs someone to tell him to calm down and think. Her death is because she got caught up too deep in Amuro's mess so when she tried to take it upon herself to fix the mess Amuro and Char haven't bothered cleaning and being responsible for, it's far too gone and takes her too.

I definitely think Chan and the rest could be written better, but saying they needed to be cut is dumb as Hell. Cutting them would have gutted the story and the two dickhead's conflict, just having it be focused solely on those two would have left it all being just a slapfight with some slight emotional depth.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Hey ImpAtom, how's the SEA localization of GB3 hold up? Just want to size it up in case it ends up not finding it's way west after all.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

oohhboy posted:

This is one of the things that didn't need stating or repeating. Char is loving up the Feds and dropping a giant asteroid on Earth, everyone is involved at this point no matter how much they don't want to. This was suppose to be the final confrontation between Amuro and Char, something everybody has been looking forward to since he didn't do much with it in Zeta and ripped it out to do this in ZZ. Tomino fucks up "Emotions" anyway so going shallow might have worked in his favour by focusing on action and maybe doing something about reconciling the idealogical issues instead of going for cheap drama by introducing a bunch of people just to kill them off for no effect in the main plot. If you want people dying related to Char/Amuro give them Red Shirts Squad. Char wouldn't give a drat if they died, probably insulting them for doing so, while Amuro gets increasingly concerned with each loss, beating himself over it.

The fact you think Quess, Hathaway, and Chan are only there for cheap drama while in the same post saying that you should have given them a "red Shirts Squad" if you wanted people dying is real confusing. The overall conflict of the Axis Drop isn't a replacement for actually immediate character drama. Removing characters with interconnected character relationships cannot be fixed by cheap deaths to make the main characters feel things. You literally seem to be befuddled about why the Char vs Amuro wasn't just some 30 minute OVA where they do some flashy shallow fights, when the point of CCA is that the rivalry is completely and utterly pointless. The conflicts all around are based on misguided obligations. Char is trying to force the last people still on earth out because of the words of a long dead man and to yank one last fight to feel like he's done something. Amuro is still flying mobile suits despite being treated like warm garbage by the Federation for so long because he's the hero and has to stop Char. Quess is following after Char because she thinks she finally has someone to connect too. Hathaway is so bullheaded that he thinks he needs to save Quess. Chan just desperately wants Amuro to slow down and think, to focus and be thoughtful. Calling these characters a "bunch of people just to kill them off for no effect in the main plot" is really telling me not only did you absolutely miss every point being said in the movie, but you are trying to justify it by only looking at the surface and saying that's all that's there.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Seriously oohhboy you really are not bothering to go even remotely beyond the surface of the movie, to the point where saying that feels generous. You're more hovering above the drat thing trying as hard as possible to avoid touching it while trying to tell everyone what it feels like.

Edit: And when you do bother to it's in the most superficial of ways. You seem to rather want to have false depth than actual depth.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 11, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

oohhboy posted:

If this is the case, in my view Tomino utterly failed in this regard.

And seriously Tomino isn't at fault for you deciding that huge swaths of the main plot isn't important because you wanted to see the mans do the fights.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Srice posted:

Like for real it cones across like you're judging the movie based on it not being what you wanted, instead of approaching it on its own terms.

oohhboy has made it pretty clear they're not happy the entire movie wasn't Amuro and Char bumping into each other so its more than just "comes across". That's basically the low down on all their crits in the thread, "it isn't exactly what I wanted so it's bad".

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

The "B-Story" being cut would damage the hell out of the "core story". It is in no way, shape or form "easily cut", and most of the ideas you keep putting forward to replace it are incredibly shallow and are just you trying to rephrase "I didn't like these characters". The reason everyone lines up to take a swing at you every time you post is because you come in with an insanely me-against-the-world attitude, and despite the inflated amount of words your crits don't even remotely have the depth to back them up.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

People aren't going after you because you hold the forbidden opinion, people are going after you because you are a colossal idiot rear end in a top hat.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Should have posted the hosed up badly artifacted one.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Doesn't exactly help trying to get the SEA release though.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Please bring over Gundam Breaker 3 soon so I don't have to wait until Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn 2 to play as these new, cool, dubbed Gundams. Actually also make DWGR2 soon while we're at it so I can punch all these new guys as Loran.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Won't happen, it's why the Asian English release exists, since it's region-free.

Extreme Vs Force is getting brought over after it had a SEA release so until E3 comes and goes without an announcement I'm holding off on importing/making a foreign PSN.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

"We can't let the past REPEAT ITSELF!!!"

I've played enough of Loran in all the games that I can tell you the actual line is "We cannot" instead of "We can't" and the line elevates in volume until you hit the last two words.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm glad for this brave new world of Gundam being a thing again.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Anthrovore posted:

also as someone who hasn't watched build fighters the plot is hilariously lighthearted and awesome. We've gotta save our shopping center! Yeah!

I watched the first couple of chapters on youtube and I love the opening showing off this awesome new space future and then it cuts to Misa who just goes "Well enough about that, time to mooch at the arcade."

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Anthrovore posted:

(un)fortunately, the zeong is downsized to near normal MS size in the game so no crazy knuckle walking with the arms

They are, however, fully functional :getin:

The wire guided karate chop. A powerful technique.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Monaghan posted:

It was more all the stuff like missles pods and strapped on guns and huge beam cannons strapped to the gundam in thunderbolt that just seemed out of place. Nothing in the OYW seems to have stuff like that.

Also having multiple gundams ruins a key plot point of the original series. Zeon was afraid of this single protype and it was important for the war effort. Having multiple gundams results in it making no sense why Zeon was obsessed with destroying the rx-78. Plus, all the side story gundams have better gimmicks than the rx-78. How does that make sense?

Because it wasn't Gundam they were afraid of, it was Gundam and it's murderbeast of a pilot who kept having the best of what they had thrown at him and turning it all in to neatly sliced stacks. Even if you're pumping out better and more terrifying Gundams, they're not in Amuro's hands. Basically the nightmare was Amuro getting a new, better gundam, so it's either get rid of Amuro or keep him from getting the Alex/G-3/Full Armor/Whatever.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

The RX-79s are trying their best, please be respectful of gundam's little siblings.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

It was probably on a History Channel special.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Kai's effectiveness comes from the fact that he fights like the rear end in a top hat he is. He's pretty good at the whole shooting thing, but a lot of the Guncannon's more memorable antics comes from Kai just taking what opportunities he notices. The Guncannon absolutely should not be kicking suits or shoving them off cliffs but Kai does it because he knows how to get away with it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I remember reading that it was a book (or maybe it's been both) and possibly it was the RX-78-3.

One of the G Generations requires Amuro to die like he did in the novel to get to a route where you play as some of the villain characters by way of Cima taking the Delaz Fleet and rounding up a cool crew with no weenies allowed.

Edit: At least that's what I remember. Don't know too much about it other than broad stokes,

The GIG fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 29, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I prefer to believe Kai uses his newtype powers and the Nu Gundam's funnels to precisely shoot dozens of pilots in the balls at the same time. Really , super newtype powers opens a lot of doors for next level dickishness.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Char's Counterattack but instead of the twofold plan of getting everyone to leave Earth and having one last fight with Amuro, Char's dropping Axis entirely in the hopes he'll finally loving kill Kai.

Kai proceeds to shoot off the Sazabi's limbs and slap Char around with it's own arms.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

In observance of Memorial Day in America, I will use it as an excuse to post Andrew WK Gundam music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNk1xZ8bDs

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I selfishly wish Four had come with the crew, no matter how little sense it would make, just because I want an MA as a hero for once. Have the Psyco be towed behind the Argama. Make a scene where Psyco carries around Emma and Kamille on it's shoulders while they shoot at something. This franchise has had so many love interests pilot giant suits, but never be on the hero's side. Let the giant robots have their tiny boyfriends, imo.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

It didn't last all that long but you're right, I forgot about G-Reco. I should watch G-reco again now that it's been a while.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 31, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Related aside, has SRW or G Gen ever done a Four vs Stella scenario? It feels like something that should have happened by now.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Transforming goes against Aida's sense of style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm tired of posting General Septum so instead let's revisit the most important scene in all the gundam franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4U4FkGe3Sw