Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Do this with guy art imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd disagree for the mech fights, at least. The Barbatos does get a number of shots of it doing something viscerally awful to another suit and then getting a slow, loving pan up its body as heroic music swells. See also, when it pulped the rear end in a top hat squad leader's Graze in Episode 1, and when it said hi with a point-blank howitzer blast through the cockpit in Episode 5. The interpersonal violence is indeed significantly less sexy, though.

I agree with you in that we're supposed to cheer up for Barbatos and Mika cleaving through enemies more than Mika being a cold-blooded killer with his handgun, but even then IBO has a certain sense of disgust for violence in its mech fights. I think a reason for mecha's popularity is that it allows the portrayal of gruesome violence to humanoid beings without crossing the line into actual gore, and IBO does not shirk away from showing that anymore that it gives a discretion shot when Mika murders a man.

Yes, the music swells up when Barbatos makes its grand appearance, and the rear end in a top hat Graze commander trying to run up his kill count gets what he has coming, but even then you see the cockpit crushed and Barbatos pulling its mace out of the ruined metal mess. In the Crank fight, Mika actually gets "blood" on him, and he is ready to brutally stomp on the cockpit before he sees Crank wounded and unable to continue piloting. In Episode 5, Coral realizes all too late he's distracted before Mika smashes him with the mace and pulls the trigger on the pile bunker, leaving a floating, eerily still Graze in space and the muted horror of the Gjallarhorn pilots. There are no THEY GOT ME cries, fade to white shots and aseptic explosions to erase the consequences of mobile suit combat. In the hands of someone like, say, Fukuda, there would be people puking their bloody guts on their helmets and nigh-comical gore, but IBO lets the audience's imagination fill in the blanks, with mecha corpses as real evidence that people died awfully.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Well Manicured Man posted:

That's okay, he has a brother we never mentioned before who just happens to look and sound just like him!

While Lockon 2 as a replacement for Lockon 1 is pretty bad, the twins were shown very early in S1 when Neil goes to his family's grave.

Lyle's problem is that while there's some perfunctory attempts at making him his own man (his deliberately awful hitting on Feldt, the fact that he's working for Katharon as well as CB) the production knowingly makes him become his brother - to the point of having him ask Haro if Lockon 1 had any catchphrases when making a shot.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

tsob posted:

The actual gist of their story so far as I can ascertain it in the show though is that she met Will Game on her last trip to Earth about 100 years ago, and while there she made requests of several men; which was probably for gifts and so on. The scene is ambiguous but the feeling I got was that several men of import such as lords made marriage requests or something, and Dianna fobbed them off by making fanciful requests that were essentially impossible. Only Will Game, the one guy she did actually feel something for took it seriously despite her protestations and went to find some bird for her or something. He plants a sapling with her before he leaves, and tells her that he'll ask for her hand in marriage after he returns but he doesn't return quickly, so Dianna is forced to return to the Moon instead of waiting for him.

It just hit me that Dianna is Princess Kaguya. I should rewatch Turn A sometime.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Wacky hijinks registering the Maganac Corps as students for a team battle

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

recongundamista

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

El5n dropping by the Cyber Newtype clubhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Billy Katagiri from 00 was Canadian, I think? Really nice guy, that one.