Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Inoue really likes big melodrama and writing around being a toy commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Does Inoue also like female characters who like being naked and stabbing people?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's new. That feels like it would have been more of a Sakamoto thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

Can someone clarify what Inoue's signature style of writing actually is for those of us who aren't giant toku nerds?

Lots of unnecessary and nonsensical melodrama and ignoring anything and everything toyetic about the toy driven franchises you've been hired to write for as much as possible*

Both aspects result in a lot of the Toku shows he's worked as Head Writer on being absolute tire fires in terms of quality(Though Jetman is okay since that was from early in his career and DonBrothers managed to somehow be good in spite of going heavy on a lot of Inoue's worst vices as a writer)

*in a more sensible world that last part should have resulted in him getting black listed from the industry by the mid-2000's but then he had to go and be the head writer for the anime for Death Note and that basically made him untouchable

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Darth Walrus posted:

Can someone clarify what Inoue's signature style of writing actually is for those of us who aren't giant toku nerds?

Inoue LOVES Melodrama. The more the better, and the more times people can have stupid misunderstandings the better. People will believe obvious, established liars, make bizarre, nonsensical assumptions about other characters that go completely against their character histories, come to idiotic conclusions, end up at odds for little to no reason, and constantly have angsty episodes about all the angsty misunderstandings they're perpetually engaging in.

He also tends to ignore the genre trappings of whatever series he's writing for. It's not a surprise that his weird rear end Gundam show has basically no giant robots given how little care or attention is really paid to the toyetic elements of Kamen Rider. A lot of fights in his shows are facerolls except against those characters and those situations that are going to encourage melodrama and angst and loud character pronunciations loudly melodramatically pronouncing big melodrama things. Most seasons usually make some kind of deal about form changes and power-ups, building up to them and making them the payoff for storylines or character arcs, but his shows often don't. There are a lot of form changes and gear gizmos that just pop up without explanation or real fanfare, and about once per season we get some kind of upgrade or thing that's hilariously underutilized and is functionally a foot note that's there because it's gotta be for the toy, shoutouts to the Buron Booster in Kiva!

He also has a handful of weird tics and vices that show up a lot, my favorite being that for some reason characters will frequently fall into large bodies of water in his works, often from a great height. No clue why, but it happens often enough to be an in-joke. Hell, when he did his own, original Tokusatsu show it literally started with the lead being dumped out of a spaceship into an ocean.

And sometimes the end result is at least watchable, and if not it's often fascinating. I loved Kamen Rider Agito (though he wasn't the sole writer of that one), Donbrothers was wild and somehow compelling because of how nuts it was, and Jetman is held up as a classic, but there is a definite "feel" to Inoue shows and Gundam Sequel almost reads like a parody of the sort of nonsense he does.

drrockso20 posted:

*in a more sensible world that last part should have resulted in him getting black listed from the industry by the mid-2000's but then he had to go and be the head writer for the anime for Death Note and that basically made him untouchable

He also got in the door because his dad did Showa Kamen Rider. And possibly how he got away with writing a violent rape into the novelization of Kamen Rider 555! I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind if he packed his bags and never came back.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Should have posted this at the insane Gihren wiki discussion

https://twitter.com/male_wife_/status/1612910312579104768

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fangz posted:

Who the heck wrote the Gundam Wikia

If you mean including the first part about wanting to limit the population, then I'm pretty sure I've seen sources talking about that. I don't know where off the top of my head, but it's probably the novel or a data book or something. I'd have to go chase it down. If you mean just the second part though and the first was just to give context, then yeah, I got nothing :shrug: It was a change done by a guy called "Zuro14" back in June 2022 according to the change logs, and he has thousands of contributions on the Wikia across a lot of different articles including stuff for G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam 00 and Witch from Mercury even on a quick check of the last couple of hundred just to see what the article names were (no way even I'm checking them all individually), but there's a LOT of stuff about Zeon characters and mechs there at the very least. Not at all surprisingly, I suppose.

Iceblocks posted:

So I was rewatching Turn A a bit back and a thought suddenly struck me: What was Dianna's plan wrt Will Game? Not the one in the series, but her lover/fiancee from a hundred years back. Why did she expect to meet him again? Are the some cryopods underneath the Game family home? And where did Will Game II and III come from? Are they her son and grandson, or did Will Game the 1st bone someone else once Dianna was out of the picture?

Did they even have a relationship or was it all in Dianna's head?

It just bugs me is all.

The thing with Dianna and the original Will Game is supposed to help illustrate how confined she is in her role as Queen despite the seeming power and prestige that it carries. She is mostly a figurehead for the Ghingham and Maintainer families, and while being hundreds of years old chronologically, she's actually a young woman in her early 20s in reality because she only ever spends a short while unfrozen to do some ceremonial work and help calm the people before being shoved back into cryosleep. Which she doesn't have control over. One of the major reasons she wants the return to Earth so badly is because it represents a change in that life for her. A lot of the Moonrace have to be in cryosleep at any one time because there simply is not enough resources to support all of them at once in a closed environment with tight environmental controls like the Moon. If people lived on Earth though, which is much, much larger and has naturally growing resources and so on, then the population don't have to be artificially controlled. Including her. So she can live a normal life, free of constant cryosleep.

Dianna apparently went on several expeditions to Earth in order to help scout it out because that fancy was one of the few freedoms she was allowed, but even that was regulated to some degree. So while she fell in love with Will Game while on Earth, she was forced to return to the Moon by her retainers without him and then put in cryostasis. She might have been Queen, but she had so little say over her own life that she couldn't even extend a stay on Earth a few weeks or months in order to wait for Will Game to return.

The actual gist of their story so far as I can ascertain it in the show though is that she met Will Game on her last trip to Earth about 100 years ago, and while there she made requests of several men; which was probably for gifts and so on. The scene is ambiguous but the feeling I got was that several men of import such as lords made marriage requests or something, and Dianna fobbed them off by making fanciful requests that were essentially impossible. Only Will Game, the one guy she did actually feel something for took it seriously despite her protestations and went to find some bird for her or something. He plants a sapling with her before he leaves, and tells her that he'll ask for her hand in marriage after he returns but he doesn't return quickly, so Dianna is forced to return to the Moon instead of waiting for him.

The current Will Game then tells Dianna that while the old Will Game did find the bird, he died in an airship accident on the way back; possibly while Dianna was still waiting for him. A few of his belongings were eventually returned to the family estate, including a feather from the bird he'd found. Which is in a music box that current Will gives to Dianna. She also finds a lithograph (photo negative plate basically) of her and the original Will, along with a carving of their initials in a tree that the two had made together when she'd visited as physical evidence of their relationship. The story of the older Will Game and the Moon Queen was then made into a children's book because the Moon Queen part was so fanciful to most, but some vestige of truth survived in the actual family. So the current Will Game knows of a romanticized version of the older Will's relationship with Dianna via story, but also knows something of his actual ancestor via family history told by relatives.

Beyond that, I don't think Dianna had any plans in regards to Will. She wanted to marry him, but when she was forced to return to the Moon she had given up on that, since she knew he'd be old or dead by the time she was next unfrozen. We do find out from the current Will Game that one of his ancestors had notes about a spaceship at the site in his diary, which is why the current Will Game starts excavating at the site that turns up a spaceship. It is possible that the old Will Game hoped to uncover that spaceship, but it seems to be just a coincidence that anyone even knew about it and there's no suggestion Dianna was hoping he'd come to the Moon using it or anything. We also get Loran saying that said ship, also confusingly named the Wilgame by Dianna in honor of the two men (since it means there's 3 things called Will Game or some approximation in play at once), seems to be about the same age as the Turn A and it has nanoskin on it when uncovered, which the show basically says is old Moonlight Butterfly nanomachines, so the spaceship was probably buried there thousands of years ago and the older Will Game or another ancestor who kept a diary just happened to have found some hint of it around the time Dianna came to Earth (or possibly had some idea what it was after uncovering part of it because they'd seen spaceships while Dianna was there), rather than it being part of any plan the original Will Game or Dianna had.

Also, I don't think the current Will Game is a direct descendant of the older Will Game. The current Will Game tells Dianna that his grandfather told him about the older Will Game's airship accident, so it sounds more like the current Will Game is a descendant of the older Will Game's brother or something, rather than of the older Will Game himself i.e. a great grand uncle/nephew relationship, rather than great-grandfather/grandson relationship. The fact he looks identical is more of a narrative convenience for the sake of drama, the same way Kihel is identical to Dianna.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

goddamn, the photon torpedo scene got expanded a lot for the movie

https://twitter.com/beigo_tanuki/status/1637585033853808640?s=20

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

God drat. :stare:

Thats a much more appropriate reaction than "oof thats a bit much not doing that again".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I'm not sure it is; at least not in a show where people are supposed to be so unfamiliar with war that they forget things like "maybe we should jail captives?". It seems as if everyone is having an appropriate reaction, rather than being kind of unaware and doing their own thing. Which stands out given the rest of the show. Also, it implies everyone is paying attention to that one unit and/or weapon at the time, which is kind of unbelievable in an actual battlefield. You'd think at least a few other major combatants or commanders would just not have caught what was happening.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They don't catch what's happening, though?

Bellri and his friends are aware what just happened. The Amerians are like "what the gently caress just happened, this entire unit literally vanished and stopped responding".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do any of the srws feature Kira and relena discussing pacifism?

Or hell any of the wing characters really. Would love to see how treize reacts to mr nonlethal takedowns

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

They don't catch what's happening, though?

Bellri and his friends are aware what just happened. The Amerians are like "what the gently caress just happened, this entire unit literally vanished and stopped responding".

They do all realize something is happening though, even if not the exact cause. Which seems unusual, especially in a show like G-Reco. It's not a huge thing by any stretch, it just stands out more in a show like G-Reco, which generally has commanders act like they're just play-acting war games.

ninjewtsu posted:

Do any of the srws feature Kira and relena discussing pacifism?

Or hell any of the wing characters really. Would love to see how treize reacts to mr nonlethal takedowns

I don't know about Wing characters specifically, but I do know there's this exchange in SRW Z where a good few characters from different shows comment on Kira's actions. Including other pacifists like Loran.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

They do all realize something is happening though, even if not the exact cause. Which seems unusual, especially in a show like G-Reco. It's not a huge thing by any stretch, it just stands out more in a show like G-Reco, which generally has commanders act like they're just play-acting war games.

Even a dumbass clown commander playing a war game is going to realize pretty fast when an entire unit just instantly vanishes in a heartbeat and stops responding to any form of communication.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Wow, that answered all my questions and now I appreciate this part of Turn A more. Thanks!

Not being sarcastic, I am genuinely grateful.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Iceblocks posted:

Wow, that answered all my questions and now I appreciate this part of Turn A more. Thanks!

Not being sarcastic, I am genuinely grateful.

According to Tomino's book "Turn A no Iyeshikai", which is basically an autobiography about how making the show helped heal him of the psychological issues he'd developed over years working non-stop in the animation industry, he'd originally wanted Turn A Gundam to be a 2 year long show, but while executives within Sunrise assured him they'd continue to support the show despite lackluster ratings, they'd only do so to a point and that it'd only be a 1 year long show. Which seemingly was confirmed to him during the show's airing. Which is probably why the show spent 30 odd episodes on Earth exploring life in a mostly laid back manner for 20 or so of those 30 odd episodes, but then burned through a lot of plot in the final 20 episodes. It's easy to imagine that Tomino originally intended to spend a lot of time exploring life on the Moon through Kihel as Dianna the way the show had explored life on Earth through Dianna as Kihel.

I say that mostly because it's likely the show would have gone more into depth on how constrained Dianna's role was on the Moon if the show had had those additional episodes, where it's mostly picked up through implication in the show as is. One thing about Dianna I've always found intriguing is that while there's no real suggestion she's dying in the show as is, despite how popular it is as a fan theory, she does wonder aloud in the second to last episode if she'll ever remember her parent's faces. Which emphasizes how long she's been alive in reality, even if she's not that old looking and does establish that the age is having an effect on her that we can't see even if it's not a premature death.

It's also notable that Kihel is Dianna's counterpart from the off, because while Dianna is pretty quickly revealed to be a figurehead who is sick of a life of responsibility and service and who just wants to be able to enjoy life in small, domestic ways as a person unto herself and not a public figure, Kihel has an argument in the first episode with her father about how she wants to go to college and work to help people rather than just be a socialite etc. So Kihel is living the life Dianna wants to some degree, or at least, has it in her future, while Dianna is living the life Kihel wants. Which is why they both adapt to it so readily and happily despite the unexpected circumstances, and why both are happy to make the change permanent at the end of the show. Dianna has already served for hundreds of years, even if only for a few months at a time, and just wants to live a normal life for herself instead.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Z Really did not like the way Kira is portrayed in Gundam SEED Destiny, and its all the better for it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fivemarks posted:

Z Really did not like the way Kira is portrayed in Gundam SEED Destiny, and its all the better for it.

SRW Z really did not like the way anything went in SEED Destiny, so it completely rewrote it and everyone loves it for it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
That's because Destiny is bad. Especially Kira.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I often forget, with how much I disliked Reconguista, that the G Self is practically on the Turn A/Turn X natural disaster waiting to happen power scale.

Not gonna relitigate how bad Destiny is but man the opening 10 episodes just make what it turns into so much worse to stomach.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 20, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fivemarks posted:

Ehh, it's pretty neutral about it? The premise behind that stage is that it's the culmination of a game-long route split up to that point and half the series/characters are with the Archangel and are on Kira's side while the other half are with the Minerva and are on Shinn's side, and the two sides fight each other over it so you get to have the Mazinger punch the Grendizer and the Zeta shoot the Aquarion and such.

Z does rewrite Shinn to be a lot more sympathetic and positive but it's not really whole hog on the "Kira sucks" bandwagon, it's just willing to have some characters call him out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Ehh, it's pretty neutral about it? The premise behind that stage is that it's the culmination of a game-long route split up to that point and half the series/characters are with the Archangel and are on Kira's side while the other half are with the Minerva and are on Shinn's side, and the two sides fight each other over it so you get to have the Mazinger punch the Grendizer and the Zeta shoot the Aquarion and such.

Z does rewrite Shinn to be a lot more sympathetic and positive but it's not really whole hog on the "Kira sucks" bandwagon, it's just willing to have some characters call him out.

All of those sounded like mid-Destiny Athrun giving Kira an earfull. Which is fine because mid-Destiny Athrun is the good one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Warmachine posted:

All of those sounded like mid-Destiny Athrun giving Kira an earfull. Which is fine because mid-Destiny Athrun is the good one.

This isn't coincidental because the characters in that collage have spent half the game on the Minerva interacting with Shinn and Athrun.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

I think it's pretty significant that people are not only allowed to call Kira out but that they're depicted as being completely justified in their criticism of him. The stage where you fight Kira where those quotes come from is on the other end of the Destroy Gundam fight and after there's been a deliberate misinformation campaign aimed at making Kira look worse than he is, but even on the route where you team up with the Archangel and work with Kira most of the characters there are skeptical of him. Even after teaming up plenty of them question what the hell he thinks he's doing, and even wonder if maybe he's trying to get himself killed.

Which, ironically, is kind of where DESTINY also ends up. It's unbelievably badly told, but one of the takeaways from the ending of DESTINY the anime seems to be that if Kira wants to do what he's trying to do he's going to actually need to accept some real responsibility and not just fly around shooting mobile suits. Good god does the show sell it poorly, but that is what the final clips are meant to be AFAICT. And I'll go on and say that's one of the strengths of Z (and other SRW games that use DESTINY), its sharpest and most pointed insults come from the way it actively steps in and rewrites the storyline only as much as is necessary to be functional. There's no character bashing needed here to dress down the original show, all you need is for people to react sensibly to Kira and follow on through from that and progress him and Shinn and you've already committed a truly damning indictment against the source material.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

goddamn is right

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

I think it's pretty significant that people are not only allowed to call Kira out but that they're depicted as being completely justified in their criticism of him. The stage where you fight Kira where those quotes come from is on the other end of the Destroy Gundam fight and after there's been a deliberate misinformation campaign aimed at making Kira look worse than he is, but even on the route where you team up with the Archangel and work with Kira most of the characters there are skeptical of him. Even after teaming up plenty of them question what the hell he thinks he's doing, and even wonder if maybe he's trying to get himself killed.

I'd say this is what being "neutral" means. It's not fawning Kira hagiography like the original source material is, it's just presenting both sides as having valid points. The Minerva route folks are correctly using Athrun's argument that Kira is a disruptive force who is potentially prolonging a conflict due to his own combination of idealism and arrogance, and the Archangel route folks are right in that the Minerva route folks are literally lending combat and material support to a conquering invasion force and that both of the sides fighting suck in their own ways(even if the Earth Alliance is far, far worse).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure it is; at least not in a show where people are supposed to be so unfamiliar with war that they forget things like "maybe we should jail captives?". It seems as if everyone is having an appropriate reaction, rather than being kind of unaware and doing their own thing. Which stands out given the rest of the show. Also, it implies everyone is paying attention to that one unit and/or weapon at the time, which is kind of unbelievable in an actual battlefield. You'd think at least a few other major combatants or commanders would just not have caught what was happening.

Probably worth pointing out that for Bellri in particular he was deliberately launching the torpedoes at minimum power in order to suppress/distract/disable that Wuxia squadron without killing the pilots. Just loving dissolving them (plus some friendly Amerian Jahannams) was definitely not what he had in mind.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

I'd say this is what being "neutral" means. It's not fawning Kira hagiography like the original source material is, it's just presenting both sides as having valid points. The Minerva route folks are correctly using Athrun's argument that Kira is a disruptive force who is potentially prolonging a conflict due to his own combination of idealism and arrogance, and the Archangel route folks are right in that the Minerva route folks are literally lending combat and material support to a conquering invasion force and that both of the sides fighting suck in their own ways(even if the Earth Alliance is far, far worse).

Hence SRW is the improvement.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gripweed posted:

Honestly still comes off as pretty tame by Gundam super weapon standards* and indeed even a bit inefficient/ineffective if we're being honest, the horror doesn't really feel warranted even taking into account G-Reco's whole thing of "people going to war without understanding what war even is"

*but then when the high end of the scale is stuff like GENESIS or the Angel Halo almost everything else is going to come off as tame in comparison

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think weapons of war need to be nuclear to be scary

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sure made an impression on me in turn a and not when I watched g reco.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
For as much as G-Reco is not well received among fans, it’s still far more competently done and rewarding than a lot of gundams. Watching it just in the last month I was surprised how enjoyable it is despite feeling like it’s reputation is very polarized going in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly still comes off as pretty tame by Gundam super weapon standards* and indeed even a bit inefficient/ineffective if we're being honest, the horror doesn't really feel warranted even taking into account G-Reco's whole thing of "people going to war without understanding what war even is"

*but then when the high end of the scale is stuff like GENESIS or the Angel Halo almost everything else is going to come off as tame in comparison

Again, though, this is what happened when Bellri dialled the power output to minimum and tried to lay down some suppressive fire. It's not supposed to be a superweapon, it's just horrifyingly powerful compared to what he meant it to do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't think weapons of war need to be nuclear to be scary

I mean, most Gundam WMDs aren't nuclear. GENESIS, Dainsliefs, Satellite Cannon, Moonlight Butterfly...

They just also show a lot more kick. For example, just getting close to the Beam Magnum will pop your Mobile Suit like a balloon, and IBO WMDs significantly deformed the Moon.

Bellri freaking out kind of makes sense, especially with the friendly fire, but it doesn't feel like a particularly standout weapon compared to, say, the first episodes of Gundam X.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, most Gundam WMDs aren't nuclear.

It's a gamma ray laser specifically powered by shaping and refracting the energy output of a conventional nuclear weapon into a coherent beam instead of a sphere. That's pretty nuclear to me...

I don't think the point is to be a standout weapon. "Photon Torpedo" is pretty innocuously named (maybe there's a context missing here from the surrounding Japanese, but it's definitely a loan word in the clip), enough that Belleri thinks he can rip one off for the reason he did. And then it goes and does way more than he expected such as to draw attention to it and horrify the onlookers. It doesn't have the firing process of GENESIS, or the visual buildup of the Satellite Cannon, or the legendary status of Deinsliefs and Moonlight Butterfly. It's something called a Photon Torpedo, a name that to me immediately invokes 'torpedo made of light' as seen in Star Wars and Star Trek an is short hand for torpedo IN SPAAAAACE.

When it acts more like a shmup game smart bomb in a particularly shocking way I think the reaction makes sense. But I'm also on record as saying Laplace's Box being a wet fart is a meta joke and stumping for 'the letdown is the point' in the past, and this reading is very much in that same vein.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

It's a gamma ray laser specifically powered by shaping and refracting the energy output of a conventional nuclear weapon into a coherent beam instead of a sphere. That's pretty nuclear to me...

You're right. I was thinking of Cyclops there. (Which I don't think was nuclear, but Gundam SEED technobabble is always a mess to me.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, most Gundam WMDs aren't nuclear. GENESIS, Dainsliefs, Satellite Cannon, Moonlight Butterfly...

They just also show a lot more kick. For example, just getting close to the Beam Magnum will pop your Mobile Suit like a balloon, and IBO WMDs significantly deformed the Moon.

Bellri freaking out kind of makes sense, especially with the friendly fire, but it doesn't feel like a particularly standout weapon compared to, say, the first episodes of Gundam X.

They're all just metaphors for nukes man

:shrug: I thought the clip of the robot being able to casually throw out a flak shot of material that seems to just erase stuff from the universe without leaving behind a trace had plenty of "kick" in terms of something I'd expect people to freak out about. Very "we're getting blindsided by something we don't understand and the sudden knowledge of its existence has horrifying implications" vibe. Also it seemed like bellri definitely was not expecting to just disappear whole chunks of a dozen people with the push of a button. I thought the presentation was plenty effective in selling the shock of the power at some kid's fingertips and making the horrified reactions of the characters appropriate. Things don't need to be on the ever higher scale escalator to be exciting or elicit emotion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

It's an almost unavoidable weapon mounted on a single normal-sized mobile suit that shoots a several mile wide shotgun spread of light particles that instantly deletes heavily armored targets from existence with no way to defend against it or resist it. It imposes no significant power drain on the suit and can be used multiple times in succession without disabling the firing suit.

It might not be a "crack the planet's crust" superlaser or a "kill everyone on earth" weapon like the Angel Halo, but by the standards of mobile suit scale weapons in Gundam it's absolutely horrifying. The only mobile suit weapons that even remotely compare in terror factor are the Moonlight Butterfly(which is specifically a civilization ending superweapon) and the Satellite Cannon, and unlike the latter, the Photon Torpedoes launch instantly and with no preamble or warning and are innocuous enough that you can't even tell what just killed an entire battalion in ten seconds.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 21, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

chiasaur11 posted:

You're right. I was thinking of Cyclops there. (Which I don't think was nuclear, but Gundam SEED technobabble is always a mess to me.)

Cyclops was microwaves, but it also wasn't remotely a superweapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I had to stop and thing about that one, but it's definitely not. It's more "hey we built a loving 100 trillion terawatt microwave, and you're the loving hamster."

Hence all the gratuitous bloodbag deaths when it is used!

Kanos posted:

It's an almost unavoidable weapon mounted on a single normal-sized mobile suit that shoots a several mile wide shotgun spread of light particles that instantly deletes heavily armored targets from existence with no way to defend against it or resist it. It imposes no significant power drain on the suit and can be used multiple times in succession without disabling the firing suit.

It might not be a "crack the planet's crust" superlaser or a "kill everyone on earth" weapon like the Angel Halo, but by the standards of mobile suit scale weapons in Gundam it's absolutely horrifying. The only mobile suit weapons that even remotely compare in terror factor are the Moonlight Butterfly(which is specifically a civilization ending superweapon) and the Satellite Cannon, and unlike the latter, the Photon Torpedoes launch instantly and with no preamble or warning and are innocuous enough that you can't even tell what just killed an entire battalion in ten seconds.

I'd argue the Photon Torpedo is a better case of alien horror than anything about the Turn A. Nothing about the Turn A (or Turn X) really communicates how much outsized power it has. It's horror potential is entirely tied up in the hard factor of carrying the Moonlight Butterfly. All the other on-paper factors are just that--on paper. It doesn't really show a power disparity in the show that screams "this weapon is from another time!" The Gundams in Wing as frankly more terrifying on screen because you see them in contrast to contemporary mobile suits and oh god Wing Zero just obliterated a colony. Loran by contrast is very conservative with the Turn A, and fights pretty much on par with everyone he comes across.

Turning back to G-Reco, the G-Self is clearly something else. It is how casual the weapon is, juxtaposed with its power, that makes the scene work. It's not a Moonlight Butterfly, or a Twin Buster Rifle, but rather the mobile suit equivalent of a secondary/special weapon system. As you say: no preamble, no warning.